Chitosan aids fat loss

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
November 27, 2006

Chitosan aids fat loss

A study conducted at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio revealed that chitosan, a popular fiber supplement, was effective at reducing body weight and body fat in a double-blinded, placebo-controlled study. The findings were reported in the October, 2006 issue of the Journal of the American College of Nutrition.

Gilbert R Kaats, PhD, and colleagues randomized 150 overweight men and women to one of three groups. The treatment group received 3 grams chitosan per day to be consumed in combination with a self-monitored behavior modification program, a placebo group received a placebo plus the same behavior modification program, and a control group was directed to follow any program of their own choosing for 60 days. Body composition, bone density and blood chemistry were measured at the beginning of the study and at the end of the treatment period. Subjects who received chitosan or the placebo were asked to record the daily amounts of the supplement consumed, caloric intake, daily activity, and side effects.

At the study's conclusion, subjects who received chitosan experienced a significant reduction in weight and fat mass compared to the control group. While participants who used chitosan had an average weight loss of 2.8 pounds, those who received the placebo lost 0.6 pounds, and those in the control group gained 0.8 pounds. The chitosan group also had a greater reduction in fat percentage and fat mass than the placebo group, as well as an increase in body composition improvement index.

"These data provide evidence for the efficacy and safety of a chitosan compound to facilitate the depletion of excess body fat with minimal loss of fat-free or lean body mass under free-living conditions similar to conditions under which these products are most likely to be used," the authors conclude.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
YES you should be concerned, according to the warnings on the chitosan I had tried years ago...

...never seemed to do a thing for me, I will stick with my EFAs and Sesathin.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
YES you should be concerned, according to the warnings on the chitosan I had tried years ago...

...never seemed to do a thing for me, I will stick with my EFAs and Sesathin.
I'd always thought of chitsan as a bull**** supplement but this double-blind placebo trial published in an academic journal lends it a lot of weight.

The issue may have to do with the dosage and one's diet. Since chitosan supposedly preferentially binds to fat it might have a much greater effect upon someone whose diet contains a lot of fat as opposed to someone who is eating a healthier diet (who then might see little effect). Just a thought.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'd always thought of chitsan as a bull**** supplement but this double-blind placebo trial published in an academic journal lends it a lot of weight.

The issue may have to do with the dosage and one's diet. Since chitosan supposedly preferentially binds to fat it might have a much greater effect upon someone whose diet contains a lot of fat as opposed to someone who is eating a healthier diet (who then might see little effect). Just a thought.
Excellent point. But would adding chitosan back into my supplementation (cutting) take away the benefits of EFAs, oils, sesathin, etc? As in, wouldn't the chitosan absorb those as well?

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Excellent point. But would adding chitosan back into my supplementation (cutting) take away the benefits of EFAs, oils, sesathin, etc? As in, wouldn't the chitosan absorb those as well?
No idea but I was thinking along the same lines myself. I'd thought about buying a bottle and only using it when I was going to eat a fatty meal (take a couple before hand) rather than something to take on a regular basis since almost all of my fats are the good fats that I want to absorb.

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
chitosan plus sesamin plus TTA = Damage control?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Odd. I had dismissed Chitosan as BS as well. I already use Psyllium husks everynight with my PM shake. If nothing else, it helps keep the colon clean and lowers cholesterol levels.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
chitosan plus sesamin plus TTA = Damage control?
You do NOT want to take Chitosan with your EFA, or Sesamin. It will bind it and carry it unused through your digestive system...basically wasting it.

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
not at the same time, maybe chitosan with the meal and follow with the tta and sesathin after.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
OTC Drug 10
Alex281 Supplements 3
Giantz11 Supplements 2
RobInKuwait Supplements 2
Supplements 0