Help please

quigley

Awards
  • Established
i am well studied in bulking, but cutting bodyfat while maintaing lean mass is an area where i do not know as much about.

what are the keys to a successful cutting diet?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
1. Diet
2. Training
3. Not dropping carbs to ZERO
4. Knowing how to adjust your diet when you make progress
5. Maybe some Ephedrine & Caffeine ;)

For diet, I'd start with 12 calories per pound of bodyweight. Use a 40%-protein 40%-carbs 20%-fats ratio OR 50%-protein, 30%-carbs, 20%-fats.

Use low GI complex carbs only and mix in some fish oil and extra virgen olive oil for fat sources.

Most importantly, be consistant

quigley

Awards
  • Established
ok thanks.

in concern with training- how often, what mix of cardio and weights, what weight program

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
weight training 4-5 times a week, cardio 4-5 times a week. Cardio length about 30-45 minutes. Weight training is 60 minutes in the 6-12 rep range. Hit every muscle 1 time a week, you can also experiment with hitting each muscle 2 times a week, which is what I prefer.

quigley

Awards
  • Established
ok, so say a 4 day split, each day involving both cardio and weights, or a full week split alternating between cardio and weights?

beeph

Awards
Iron Warrior do you have any suggestions for supps when doing this. I have been doing this routine and lost a lot of fat, while retaining muscle. I have been on a fat loss and muscle growth supp., do you or anyone have recomendations on supplements? I started a thread, yet got no response, on taking Anabolic Xtreme Haladrol, Retain and Rampage, would something like this be a good attribute to the plan you listed above?

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I am not a big fan of weight training all week long while cutting. A good program I follow is very intense and is a full-body workout.
shrugs: 3x15 reps
incline press: 3x10 reps (60 degree incline, 30 degree, flat)
bent over rows: 3x12 reps
front raises: 1x10
lateral raises: 1x10
bicep curls: 1x15, drop set to failure
tricep extensions: 1x15, drop set to failure
squats: 2x12
calf raises: 2x15
abs: 2 sets weighted crunches

I do this routine mon, weds, fri. Before it, do 15 minutes cardio to get your heartrate up. For the first 3 exercises, don't take more than a few seconds rest, even if you need to lower the weights. After the bent over rows, take up to a minute to recover. At the end, do another 15 minutes moderate cardio.

Diet:
breakfast - 6 egg whites, 2 slices whole wheat toast and natural peanut butter, 1 piece of fruit of your choice or a glass of OJ.

lunch - chicken or fish with long grain rice, veggies or salad with oil and vinegar

workout- see above

post workout shake - 50-75 grams whey protein isolate with water or skim plus

post workout meal - chicken, fish, or lean steak with sweet potato or carrots and light glaze, and a salad

dinner - chicken or fish with vegetables

shake - protein blend or casein and flax oil

Staple supplements:

fish oils
good multi-vitamin
green tea extract
anti-oxidant such as VIGOR

useful supplements:

Camphibolic
Blaze
Calcium Pyruvate
Restore/Retain
NHA stack

This is just my thing that I do when I am trimming. I don't really believe in counting calories that much. There comes a point when enough is enough. You should research enough to know how to estimate about how much is in what and you should listen to your body. When you properly manage stress and your mind is in tune with your body, you can know what is right for you to be eating when you are at a feeding. Don't cut yourself short of anything and use creative cardio workouts to burn fat, not some dumbass cyclical carb diet. "Oh damn, let me measure out that cup of oats again, I think there's an extra few granuals in the bowl." Take the calorie counting and shove it. It causes unnecessary stress. Good luck. Hope I helped!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Iron Warrior do you have any suggestions for supps when doing this. I have been doing this routine and lost a lot of fat, while retaining muscle. I have been on a fat loss and muscle growth supp., do you or anyone have recomendations on supplements? I started a thread, yet got no response, on taking Anabolic Xtreme Haladrol, Retain and Rampage, would something like this be a good attribute to the plan you listed above?
ECA is a great supplement not only because it will raise your metabolism, cut appetite, give you energy, but it's also anti-catabolic so you shouldn't have much if any muscle loss at all while cutting. IMO people lose too much muscle when they cut too many calories for too much time. I never cut past 12 weeks before I do a lean bulk for 4-6 weeks before getting back on a cutting phase. Creatine is a good supplement while cutting, don't worry about the water retention, it's not fat ;)