Question about heart rate??

YELLOW_STL_MACH

Awards
I'm newer to working out, so please don't think I'm a retard for asking this, but....

How do I determine my target heart rate for cardio?

The machines at the gym show for a 220lbs, 25 year old my target for cardio is around 154.

My problem is, even with fairly low intensity cardio I'm beating around 170-180. (Actually peaked at 186 today.):jaw:

Thanks,
Rob

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
220-age=max recommended.

After that it depends on the aerobic philosophy you follow. The low intensity fat burning group says 60 - 70% of max.

The high intensity goup says min of 70% up to 90% for the truly fit.

The lower the intensity the longer you can keep going. The higher the intensity the greater the impact overall on the system. Like doing low weight hi rep vs low volume high intensity.

If you are able you should hook up with a trainer and set up an initial program based on your age, fitness level, healthe etc.

YELLOW_STL_MACH

Awards
A few more things.

I did a search and couldn't really find anything too helpful to my situation.

I did read that if you are fairly out of shape that your HR will start higher than most and drop with time.

Also I'm taking Hydroxycut Hardcore which has a TON of caffiene. (Could this contribute to an increased heartrate?)

monsterboy

Awards
The hydroxycut will definitely raise your heart rate. At 25 you should be fine at 170 to 180 beats a minute. As you get in better shape, that will come down a little.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Yellow - What's your resting heart rate? Try taking it first thing in the morning.

As others said, Hydroxycut will definitely raise your heart rate. And the elevation you see while doing cardio should diminish somewhat as you get in better shape.

Also, keep in mind that some people's hearts just beat faster than others. Most men have resting HRs of about 80, or 65-70 if they're in good shape. But some men naturally have resting HRs of 90 or higher. Sometimes this indicates a heart problem, but often its just natural variation.

YELLOW_STL_MACH

Awards
Thanks guys!

I'm glad I found an awesome source of info like this site.:bruce1:

brittishbulldog

Awards
  • Established
I'm newer to working out, so please don't think I'm a retard for asking this, but....

How do I determine my target heart rate for cardio?

The machines at the gym show for a 220lbs, 25 year old my target for cardio is around 154.

My problem is, even with fairly low intensity cardio I'm beating around 170-180. (Actually peaked at 186 today.):jaw:

Thanks,
Rob
The 220-age = reccomended is a load of crap that was a guess.
there is no scientific grounds for this even though it is widly used and accepted the world over.

The only way to correctly work out what would be an ideal HR would be by doing the 3 point test.

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
I would definetly wait on the Hardcore for now and get into a routine without too many stimulants. Hydroxcut Hardcore activates Beta-1 adrenergic receptors on the heart by increasing Norepinephrine levels. So starting out with low-impact cardio and then letting your body adjust to your new way of life is what i would reccommend. Because your heart rate being close to 190 is not going to help lose fat, it will help lose more muscle than anything.

800mrunner

Banned
Awards
the whole 220 minus age = max heart rate is complete BS. Everyone is different. someone who has a certin heart with certin type of blood might have a heart rate of 200 at 40 years old....

whole some 20 year old guys top out at 180...

who have to test your body...do a search on yahoo and you'll find there are several tests you can put your body though to really find YOUR max hr.