urgent, very confused

ms84

Banned
Awards
got my body calc today and im freaked. on oct 14,2006 my lbm was 194 fat mass 48lbs tot wt. 242, today i weigh 228(goog cause im on diet) but my lbm was 176 and fat mass 52lbs. workout out 4-5days/week 250g protein, is it possible to lose 17.6lbs muscle that fast or did test malfunction. first time they ran test body type was athletic, this time they put standard. did that screw it up?

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Uh, what exactly was it you used for testing your bf%? I would say by the sounds of it that the test isn't accurate.

ms84

Banned
Awards
it was a scale like mach. called tanita body composition analyzer

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Athletic/standard will have an impact, yes. Also, how much water you've had, if you are or were taking any caffeine or caffeine like products(drinking coffee can make a change).

ms84

Banned
Awards
thanks, i hope it was just a calc error. im going back tomorrow morn to have retested. i know its not right but ill be a fcked up mess until i see the right numbers.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
it was a scale like mach. called tanita body composition analyzer
I have a Tanita BF analyzer scale and it is worthless as far as analyzing body comp is concerned. It works OK for "average" individuals but is extremely inaccurate for muscular or athletic people.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
I have a Tanita BF analyzer scale and it is worthless as far as analyzing body comp is concerned. It works OK for "average" individuals but is extremely inaccurate for muscular or athletic people.
Co-signed. I know a guy who was 1 week precontest & the BIA method got him @ 27%, not sure what brand of apparatus he used.

Love your avvy, BTW. I remember that scene, Arnie had a joint in his hand, guy was high as fock.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Love your avvy, BTW. I remember that scene, Arnie had a joint in his hand, guy was high as fock.
The fact that he's at Lou Ferrigno's birthday party while he's wearing the "Arnold Is Numero Uno" shirt and smoking the joint makes it doubly funny.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
Get some calipers
Exactly! Or if there's a university near you, see if they have an ex phys dept with the ability to do underwater weighing.

The electrical impedance machines are junk. Drinking a glass of water can throw off the test by several percentage points.

roadrage

Awards
The test must have been off. There's no way your fat mass could have increased the way you're working out unless you've been overdoing the fast food thing.

maxxdout

Awards
Definitely pick up some calipers for your own sanity.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
The fact that he's at Lou Ferrigno's birthday party while he's wearing the "Arnold Is Numero Uno" shirt and smoking the joint makes it doubly funny.

LOL - Arnold was and will always will be The Man :D

Yeah bro - those scales arent very accurate. Get some calipers - it will generally be +/- 2% of the real number if you do it right.

monsterboy

Awards
Does anyone know how effective the tests are where they have you immerse your entire body in water?

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone know how effective the tests are where they have you immerse your entire body in water?
Hydrostatic weighing is quite accurate, usually within 1%, if done properly.

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Another type that sucks is the Near infrared light refraction. It was originally designed to test body fat of cattle. The test is +- 25% correct of actual value