Why do you get so damn hungry on CKD?

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
I am soooo hungry all the time it would seem. Is that the normal deal?

chi_town

Keto Jedi / HomeBrew Advocate
Awards
Hungry ?

Most on keto find that being high fat .......they actually feel fuller longer. :confused: Unlike carbs (particularly moderate to high Gi carbs) whereas the convert to glucose faster and end up leaving you hungry quicker.

5-7 meals a day of high fat, and fiberous green veggies for the majority of your carbs (excluding PW, of course) and you shouldn't be hungry.

Did you just come off a bulk bro ?........maybe you just so damn used to eating like a horse. LOL

PEACE

chi_town

Keto Jedi / HomeBrew Advocate
Awards
WW7 make sure your not just flaxing most of your fat cals......when I do that from time to time.....I do find I'm hungrier than when I eat a combo of fat.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bump Chi...Make sure you have enough fat in your diet and I know you just started with this so it will take some time to adjust.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
using mostly flax definitely left me feeling hungry, and I ate alot, and often... although, I am willing to bet that if you include more fatty meats and cheeses, your problem will be solved. :D

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I've done keto twice about 3 years ago (worked well BTW), I was hungry as hell all the time. I think my problem was not enough cals maybe, but especially the first 10 days the hunger was incredible.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
I've done keto twice about 3 years ago (worked well BTW), I was hungry as hell all the time. I think my problem was not enough cals maybe, but especially the first 10 days the hunger was incredible.
You know whats amazing is I can be starving and eating meat all over the place and the if I just eat a little carbs, its done, the hunger goes!!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Use an ECA or NYC then. It will help suppress appetite.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Bobo
good idea! And yeah Jake, the second I got carbs in me I was "full". Maybe one reason I've been wussing out with keto this year, lol :D

Draven

Awards
  • Established
Nope me too. I ended up dropping a large portion of my flax so I could through in some nuts and some more fatty meats. :yumm:

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Re: Re: Why do you get so damn hungry on CKD?

are you sure your getting into ketosis???

After about 3 or 4 days into it.......I have to make myself eat.
I am not sure but I would think that I am.

Draven

Awards
  • Established
Re: Re: Re: Why do you get so damn hungry on CKD?

I am not sure but I would think that I am.
Go to the drug store and pick up some keto stix. They're cheap and will tell you in 15 seconds whether or not you're in.

Rhapsody

Awards
Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do you get so damn hungry on CKD?

Go to the drug store and pick up some keto stix. They're cheap and will tell you in 15 seconds whether or not you're in.

indeed.

and you should notice an odor to your breath (which is the body giving off ketones)........kinda a fruity smell and taste.....not unpleasant.......just differant.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do you get so damn hungry on CKD?

indeed.

and you should notice an odor to your breath (which is the body giving off ketones)........kinda a fruity smell and taste.....not unpleasant.......just differant.
I will get some keto sticks.

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
How much broccoli are you eating a day? Try eating several pounds worth of broccoli/cauliflower/cabbage etc. and see how you feel. That'll fix hunger better than salad any day. Plates full of cooked spinach, turnip greens etc work a lot better too. And I mean huge platters full, not just bowls full =D

Also, if you haven't already try a lot of sour cream and whipped cream cheese with the veggies. At only 30kcals per tablespoon, you can eat a lot of it. You can pretty much eat continuously if you pick the right foods. No way to be too hungry if you never stop eating.

I am with chi and others....forget the flax. Too calorically dense and not filling at all. Get rid of other dense fat sources if you need to as well.

Just making these changes I went from being hungry as *&*& at 3000 kcals per day to being quite full at < 2000.

Boarder1

Awards
Limit your whey

Using whey protein as the main ingredient for any of your meals (excluding post workout) will cause an insulin spike, followed by the urge to carb binge shortly there after.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I agree 100%.

I took just one Stacker with caffine and ephedrine. It was all I could do just to force down a chicken breast and a small amount of oatmeal. I nearly puked a couple times. :)

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
This looks a lot like the guy isn't getting into ketosis, which is THE most important factor for hunger/craving on the CKD. And as he says, the moment he gets some carbs, the hunger goes away.

Some people will be able to get into ketosis with 40g carbs a day. SOME, but not ALL. Eating huge amounts of spinach and broccoli is certainly to be avoided when you are borderline ketosis. If you need fiber, just buy some psyllium husks and mix them into your shake, this will stave off the problem of an only-too-well-greased digestive tract. ;)

In my experience, the less carbs you eat during the week, the earlier you will get into ketosis, the less you will hunger and the more you will feel INEXHAUSTIBLE energy in the gym, as out. On the weekend, some advise protein and carbs, but I'm with Mauro DiPasquale here, fat and carbs is the thing to do.

Just my lil' 0.02$ :D Peace

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
I am soooo hungry all the time it would seem. Is that the normal deal?
One word: LEPTIN

There may be a few more factors in play, but this bad boy just might be the culprit. I have to study for finals tonight, more on Leptin tomorrow. :D