The best use of $39.95

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
The best use of $39.95 - Alan's book

(Disclaimer: I have no affiliation and I hate to part with a buck as much as the next person.)

I've absorbed a lot from the internet and I generally won't buy anything because there's too much information freely available. However, there are certain individuals who frequent the boards (that you could probably count on one hand) who have a ton of knowledge when it comes to exercise physiology and sports nutrition. I believe that two are on this site - Bobo and Alan.

It appears that Alan has recently completed a project in the form of a new book that he'll be releasing next year. He probably won't give himself a shameless plug, so here's the link to it:

Girth Control - The Science of Fat Loss & Muscle Gain

Congratulations Alan, I'm looking forward to it. Perhaps you could provide some additional details about it?

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

From the title I thought it was another MAGIC PILL :)

CROWLER

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

From the title I thought it was another MAGIC PILL :)
CROWLER
If all was right in the world, I'd post a thread in the bulking section entitled, The Best Use of $29.99 -
CROWLER's Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix.

Now THAT'S the MAGIC PILL! (Or was the magic pill.) ;^)

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
(Disclaimer: I have no affiliation and I hate to part with a buck as much as the next person.)

I've absorbed a lot from the internet and I generally won't buy anything because there's too much information freely available. However, there are certain individuals who frequent the boards (that you could probably count on one hand) who have a ton of knowledge when it comes to exercise physiology and sports nutrition. I believe that two are on this site - Bobo and Alan.

It appears that Alan has recently completed a project in the form of a new book that he'll be releasing next year. He probably won't give himself a shameless plug, so here's the link to it:

Girth Control - The Science of Fat Loss & Muscle Gain

Congratulations Alan, I'm looking forward to it. Perhaps you could provide some additional details about it?
T-Bone,

It takes quality to regonize quality. Or more colloquially, game recognize game, dog :D

The book covers the macronutrients, supplements, dips into exercise physiology & periodization, analyzes the pop diet trends, timing of nutrients, and finally walks through program design for various goals/phases. The focus won't be on sports performance, but rather on changing body comp. It's not overly technical or jargon-ridden. It's true that (almost) everything under the sun has been written about or posted on the net for free, but there are a few gems in there that aren't. I think the real value of the book is that it's like having me sitting at the bottom of your magazines in the bathroom.

Soon as it's done, I'll post the table of contents & index on my site.

Thanks again.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
I can choose to fluff it up to 230 pages by widening the margins & bringing up the font, but screw that. I doubt it'll cross over 200 pages, won't likely be less than 180. It's gonna be appx 100,000 words anyway I slice it.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Sounds good. 'Just makin sure it wasn't around 50. I can't wait. :cheers:

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
looks really good.
I'm looking forward to reading it! Reading books regarding health/nutrition/training helps keep me motivated.

oh yea and lol at the refund policy :icon_lol:

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
Hah, yeah @ the refund policy. The "take your refund & stick it in your nether region" policy is very liberating for all parties involved :).

BTW, thanks for the support guys. It just makes me wanna outdo myself on this project.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
If it's anything like the articles you've posted on the net, it should be worth every penny. You have a very lucid writing style and don't waste words on useless information or hand waving. I'm certain I've paid 3x for some textbooks that were probably worth only 1/3rd of what you're book is going for. (But don't raise the price! :) )

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
Hey Alan, any update on when you'll have the TOC completed?
In all honesty, I'll be working on the book clear until the final days leading toward feb 1st, & the TOC will be done after everything. It's just how I am, OCD. I'll be editing, adding, subtracting stuff, until the witching hour. For example, I just finished a chapter which I feel is critical to understanding the material, called "The Science of Knowledge" (for crying out loud).

:p

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Bump bump.

I pre-ordered a while ago. Let us know when they start shipping Alan. :hammer:

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I emailed Alan. He said the books will ship out by Monday.

:woohoo:

dmix

Awards
Same disclaimer: Unaffiliated, etc., just your run-of-the-mill aspiring lifter here.

I'm 150 pages in, at the moment. Really great stuff, and highly recommended. Decreased the amount of stupid questions I ask by a factor of 10. The feeling of knowing what you're eating, why, and how it's affecting you, is well worth the $40 - rather than spending hours and hours and hours piecemeal trying to go thorugh nutrition reports that I couldn't understand in the first place, the book takes just about every question that bodybuilders have about nutrition, answers them, and disproves the myths.

Go with it it, people.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
Same disclaimer: Unaffiliated, etc., just your run-of-the-mill aspiring lifter here.

I'm 150 pages in, at the moment. Really great stuff, and highly recommended. Decreased the amount of stupid questions I ask by a factor of 10. The feeling of knowing what you're eating, why, and how it's affecting you, is well worth the $40 - rather than spending hours and hours and hours piecemeal trying to go thorugh nutrition reports that I couldn't understand in the first place, the book takes just about every question that bodybuilders have about nutrition, answers them, and disproves the myths.

Go with it it, people.
I LOVE YOU MAN!!! :D

Thank you kindly for that review. If you have Q's that come up as you read through the book, don't hesitate to email me.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
By the way, the book is actually 49.95. The 39.95 price was for the pre-orders.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Definitely worth it. Next time you're thinking of spending $40 for the new hot supplement, do yourself a favor and buy his book instead.

Waylon2005

Awards
I must say that this is one of the best purchases I have ever made. This book is full of useful information. It basically smashes every common myth in bodybuilding with mountains of research. Alan clearly out did himself with this one. The attention to detail was very pleasing because most books just give you a plan already laid out that isn't tailored to a person's individual needs (They're pretty much garbage). This book gives you all the information a person would need to custom build a plan for your needs. I can't wait to put this knowledge to the test.
I would probably recommend this to someone who has a pretty good understanding of nutrition already. On the other hand though, Alan goes through the basics in the beginning of the book so the common lay person would be able to get just as much from the book but would need to read it two or so times through. Don't let that sway you from purchasing the book though.
One thing I wish would have been covered a little more was the exercise aspect of weight loss but as Alan states that could be an entire book in itself. Best $40 I've spent so far. Thanks Alan, the book was very well done and I hope to see a sequel

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I must say that this is one of the best purchases I have ever made. This book is full of useful information. It basically smashes every common myth in bodybuilding with mountains of research. Alan clearly out did himself with this one. The attention to detail was very pleasing because most books just give you a plan already laid out that isn't tailored to a person's individual needs (They're pretty much garbage). This book gives you all the information a person would need to custom build a plan for your needs. I can't wait to put this knowledge to the test.
I would probably recommend this to someone who has a pretty good understanding of nutrition already. On the other hand though, Alan goes through the basics in the beginning of the book so the common lay person would be able to get just as much from the book but would need to read it two or so times through. Don't let that sway you from purchasing the book though.
One thing I wish would have been covered a little more was the exercise aspect of weight loss but as Alan states that could be an entire book in itself. Best $40 I've spent so far. Thanks Alan, the book was very well done and I hope to see a sequel
I agree. I've been scouring bb forums for years for nutrition information and I've learned a hell of a lot. This is still by far the the best $40 I've ever spent on something diet/exercise related. And it's not close.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
Thanks very much guys. Endless sleepless nights went into that book, and hearing these comments makes it worth it. I'll probably put together a new edition annually, or at least every couple of years. Since it's a nutrition book, one of the chapters that's rather light is the exercise chapter, and indeed, I'll either write a whole other book for it, or simply beef it up big time in the next edition.

Attached is a simple but effective split that I'm currently on, perhaps you can get some ideas from it. Thanks again y'all.

Attachments