Glutens Effect on Weight Gain

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
I have always known of restricting gluten in Celiac Disease and IBS, but I have recently come across some information that gluten could be a player in Obesity. I am an endomorph and I have tried the Atkins Diet (Mental Fog and lethargy) and Weight Watchers (i wanted to eat everything). But I have noticed my best loss with no or restricted gluten in my diet. Even wholegrain bread i cant eat. Has anyone else had similar problems?

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I have always known of restricting gluten in Celiac Disease and IBS, but I have recently come across some information that gluten could be a player in Obesity. I am an endomorph and I have tried the Atkins Diet (Mental Fog and lethargy) and Weight Watchers (i wanted to eat everything). But I have noticed my best loss with no or restricted gluten in my diet. Even wholegrain bread i cant eat. Has anyone else had similar problems?
I have not, but I do not beleive that cutting on anything will make you lose weight. My mother beleives in that, and always gained weight back. Balance is the key. Eat good food in moderation, and you will feel better, and will lose weight over time. Any diet that lasts for a determinate period of time is not good IMO, as you will gain it all back. Change your lifestyle, and then you will lose slowly, but permanently.

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Too much gluten can be a problem. In normal amount it usually isn't for most. How much fiber are you consuming? One easy thing to try is to increase your fiber intake. This could help with problems caused by gluten. I would try this first to see how well you respond (in your normal daily diet).

TSC

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
Hmm i eat alot of Oats, but i have often thought of throwing fiber into my protein shakes. However, i have limited oats for a while seeing as though they dont by nature contain gluten, they are milled with similar machines and gluten is almost always present. I appreciate the help jjohn, but there is something known as "Glutten Hypersensitivity" and it occurs in roughly 25% of the population who are overweight. It is where your body raises your insulin levels beyond necesarry limits and can cause weight gain. In the long run I imagine it could end up in "Beta-cell" burnout which is a common cause of Adult onset Diabetes.

Quick question, other than wheat and vegetable/fruit sources, is there any form of easily obtainable fiber?

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Quick question, other than wheat and vegetable/fruit sources, is there any form of easily obtainable fiber?
FOS (Fructo-oligosaccharides ) or Inulin would be easy enough. You can find caps with FOS pretty easily. The bulk powder inulin is normally very cheap. It has a mildly sweet taste and if anything will enhance the taste of shakes etc. Some of the bulk powder suppliers have carried this in the past, not sure if they still do. I'm pretty sure I've seen NOW brand FOS on some of the board sponsor stores.

edit: didn't see inulin on a quick check but Custom Nutrition Warehouse carries bulk FOS

Fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS) [500 Grams] - $9.99

I've only used inulin personally, but FOS should be very similar.

TSC

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
If you want to read up on a good article about the FOS and inulin I've mentioned, Spook wrote a good piece on it some time ago for M&M magazine (link below). It goes in some of the basics as to why this can actually help body composition etc.

FOS Article

TSC

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
So basically FOS is a super long fruit fiber that cant be digested, and it stimulates the growth of healthy bacteria that can aid in the reduction of producing ghrelin and CCK?

Also it will help with insulin sensitivy....sounds nice for my case. lol