whats the best cardio for fat loss?

lplionheart

Awards
ive been doing high intensity workouts on bike and x trainer doing interval training on bike and manual on x trainer, for 40mins buring 800cal a day, i'm trying to lose my last stubben fat, so whats the best cardio to do, how long for and how many calories a day do i need to burn in order to lose fat.
BTW i'm 15% bodyfat, 5'10, weigh 70.6kgs,

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Low and slow is the best way for you to burn fat. keep heart rate about 65% MHR. Any fast your body looks for a quicker fuel source (carbs) as the predominant energy supply. Obviously diet is going to be the major player here.

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
Carb restriction with a moderately paced cardio. Note that carb restriction does not mean an all out Atkins attack. For me it meant giving up bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. What's left? Well quite a bit when you plan your meals properly. I just have my carb meals on the weekends. You could do a search for Carb Cycling as well.

But the cardio should be as jminis stated.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
well, I'm sure you expected this answer at some point, but those 800 cals you're burning aren't gonna do any good in your weight loss goal if you're also eating 800 extra cals you shouldn't per day at the same time.

Make sure you're eating less cals than you are expending during a day

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Agreed...there are some good articles I think at M&M about the hormonal response to HIIT being similar to that of a weight session, which would imply that it boosts your metabolism longer. Really though man, this topic has been discussed tons already. Try the search button.

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
Carb restriction with a moderately paced cardio. Note that carb restriction does not mean an all out Atkins attack. For me it meant giving up bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. What's left? Well quite a bit when you plan your meals properly. I just have my carb meals on the weekends. You could do a search for Carb Cycling as well.

But the cardio should be as jminis stated.
If you don't go on an all out Atkin's but eliminate all of those foods, what do you eat for carbs? You seem to have eliminated pretty much all sources making it pretty much an Atkins diet

faerieeyes3

faerieeyes3

Awards
I agree with the long and slow thing. Walking or using the treadmill at a moderate pace for 45-60 minutes is a great fat-burning excercize. Also, don't forget to vary things up, it doesn't take long for your body to get used to a particular exercize and therefore it becomes more efficient at holding onto fat in spite of the work you put in. So incorporate all kinds of activities to keep your body guessing.

anapolack

Banned
Awards
running stairs......i say condition the lungs and the legs and the fat will fly off

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Speaking of outdated, this is a resurrected thread from 2006.

CT3

CT3

Awards
  • Established
The OP hadn't even made an AM post since 2012.

Bump for losing that last little bit of fat!

rodherm

Awards
  • Established
well, I'm sure you expected this answer at some point, but those 800 cals you're burning aren't gonna do any good in your weight loss goal if you're also eating 800 extra cals you shouldn't per day at the same time.

Make sure you're eating less cals than you are expending during a day
Couldn't agree more, you are missing the most important point that is your calory intake. How do your macros look like?

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Fasted cardio, first thing, brisk pace for longeivty

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There are expert recommendations for HIT, and then there are expert recommendations for longer duration/lower intensity. I think there was an article posted on AM recently stating that when combined with weight training, HIT in itself can be challenging for the body to recover from. The combination of weight trading with HIT may be too taxing on the body and longer duration/lower duration cardio is the way to go in this case. I think it is just important to listen to your own body and discover what works for you.

4castdark

Awards
If your heart rate gets too high it digs into lactate threshold and your muscles need immediate energy. Breaking down fat is slower so that's when the fat burning slows. Keep the HR lower for sustained time and you'll keep the fat burning in higher gear. Of course you have to start slow and light over time and gradually increase intensity and duration as you dial back on cals/macros. All this is predicated on a diet that supports this type of fat loss such as low fat, tapering glycemic index, going low carb & low fat as you near the goal.

Never mind. TMI

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A resurrected resurrected thread. That's interesting

millieporter

Banned
Awards
1st i suggest you take advice by doctor or search online but there are many way my friend doctor if you connect her ,,,

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
Interesting to see half the people say long and slow and the over half go with HIIT

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I have always been informed that everyone is different when it comes to cardio and what is best. It all come down to genetics

I have noticed that if I do HIT or any high intense cardio, I deflate quicker and look like crap. But if I do Low Intensity cardio, I stay fuller, and I get into shape a little easier (vs playing catch up)

I say try a few days doing each way and see which one works for you better

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
When you guys do the longer slower cardio when do you do it? Start, middle, end of workout? Completely different time in the day or separate day all together?

hsk

Awards
  • Established
10 min warm-up LISS before weights:

10 min stairmaster at level 5 or
10 min treadmill at max incline 15, speed 2.5 to 2.7

Post lifting cardio 15-40 min LISS depending on goals

Stairmaster at level 5 or
Treadmill at max incline 15, speed 2.5 to 2.7 or
Any combination of the stairmaster and treadmill

5 min cool down on treadmill, 0 incline, 2.5 speed

rodherm

Awards
  • Established
When you guys do the longer slower cardio when do you do it? Start, middle, end of workout? Completely different time in the day or separate day all together?
I normally only do cardio at the end

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I "try" to do 2 cardio sessions a day. First thing in the morning in fasted say and then my second is right after my weight training; your body is in PRIME fat burning mode post workout.

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
Ya that's usually what I do as well. Just crush some Cardio at the end.

Sometimes I do the 1 mile treadmill sprint, 10 floors in the stair master and straight to 500 m row. Going as quickly as I can from one to the next.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I do cardio 2 times a week on the Treadmill, and on those days no weight Lifting..

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
Man the cardio just kills the pump!! I mean obviously it makes sense the blood is needed elsewhere but I felt huge after shoulders and biceps, jumped on the treadmill and deflated quickly!!

hamzazaidas

hamzazaidas

Awards
If you have access to a stair master.. then that **** burns fat like crazy!

If not, I would advise on a steady pace incline treadmill.

If you can do fasted cardio in the mornings.. all the better!

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
If you have access to a stair master.. then that **** burns fat like crazy!

If not, I would advise on a steady pace incline treadmill.

If you can do fasted cardio in the mornings.. all the better!
Those stair masters are sneaky! Looks easy but man does it start to burn quick!

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes HIIT is the best way - Low and slow is not the way to go now

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
HIIT is the best for fat loss if fat loss is the only goal.....I've also been enjoying farmers walks, don't know if you'd consider it hiit since your not sprinting but it adds a wrinkle into things

I can not see anyone doing hour long walking, don't ppl have things to do? and fasted cardio is a waste of time

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I incorporate furious masturbation between sets, that hiits the spot for me