sauna/steam room - AnabolicMinds.com

sauna/steam room

1. New Member

sauna/steam room

Do these places aid in fat loss? If so, whats the best time to be going into these area's like before or after workout?

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by loki82
    Do these places aid in fat loss? If so, whats the best time to be going into these area's like before or after workout?

No, its only good to drop water weight.
  3. Senior Member

Smile

depending on your facility, the best time is after it has been thoroughly "cleaned" and before the "party boys" come back to visit.
    •   

4. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by anabolicrhino
    depending on your facility, the best time is after it has been thoroughly "cleaned" and before the "party boys" come back to visit.
    Yeah there's nothing worst than seeing a naked 75 year old man in there with a nutsack that hangs to his ankles.
  5. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by loki82

Hi there, yes I have found that the infa red saunas work, sadly I have worn a heart rate monitor in one just to see the effects on heart rate, and my heart rate went up to around 138 lying down on my arse, I use them after a cardio session for 20 mins or as long as i can stand it, drink plenty of water. So hyperthetically you should burn fat, but it is not a miracle cure.

good luck
  6. New Member

the sana rocks!
  7. Kam

I like it, I like to keep my heart rate somewhat in the mid range 120-140 after my cardio session. Little Hot tub post cardio, sit in there for 10 minutes, jump in the pool get in some laps, do that one more time, then I'll jump into the wet sauna as long as i can stand it, and finish in the dry for 10 minutes. If your heart beat is consistent in a above normal range I would think your burning fat, Besides the cleansing affects I think it should be part of your routine, worst case scenario it feels good.
  8. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    I like it, I like to keep my heart rate somewhat in the mid range 120-140 after my cardio session. Little Hot tub post cardio, sit in there for 10 minutes, jump in the pool get in some laps, do that one more time, then I'll jump into the wet sauna as long as i can stand it, and finish in the dry for 10 minutes. If your heart beat is consistent in a above normal range I would think your burning fat, Besides the cleansing affects I think it should be part of your routine, worst case scenario it feels good.
    Used the sauna and steam room today and it ****ing stunk of sweat and mould!

Gym staff should pay attention to this!
  9. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

sitting in the sauna does nothing for you unless you are temporarily losing water weight. It is good to warm the muscles before a workout.
  10. New Member

I read somewhere that you shouldn't go to the sauna(or take a hot shower) after workout. It surely relaxes the muscles but it has something to do with the DOMS ( ?) . The best time for sauna (or steam bath or hot bath or ...) would be 24 hours after the workout. Experts?
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

When I started weight loss journey back in AUG 2006 I thought sauna/steam was a must. I even tried sauna suits. But what I learned was that Cardio + Lifting (doesn't have to be intense) made the difference.

I am always on the go and very short on time. The sauna was a huge time sink. And if you think about it... How much weight could you possibly lose by just sitting down.

If you have a lot of time and you don't mind exposed 80yr testicles in front of your face, then knock yourself out at the sauna.
  12. New Member

look it is simple all other saunas are **** for fatloss really, it has to be infared nuff said
  13. New Member

great for your skin, really clears it up
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.

if u excercise in a sauna, ur body heat will shoot through the roof. yes u will lose alot of water, but most importantly, ur body will slow its metabolism down to keep from making extra heat- a by product of metabolism (cell processes) which means u will burn less calories
  15. NutraPlanet Fanatic

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by thedonker
    look it is simple all other saunas are **** for fatloss really, it has to be infared nuff said
    and this is based on what?
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  16. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsade
    and this is based on what?

Hi there, yes I have found that the infa red saunas work, sadly I have worn a heart rate monitor in one just to see the effects on heart rate, and my heart rate went up to around 138 lying down on my arse, I use them after a cardio session for 20 mins or as long as i can stand it, drink plenty of water. So hyperthetically you should burn fat, but it is not a miracle cure.

this was my pervious post, I also have an infa red sauna in my home, and it does work for fat loss, it is much lower intenseity heat that a typical wet sauna so you do not sweat excessively and lose too much water, it is much more gentle. There have been studies done in sweden/dennmark which prove you can burn an extra 600-800kcal per hr in an infared sauna, so give one a try and see for your self, they not only boost your fatburning, they clean your pores and seem to release endorphins, oh and mine has a SAD light, so that if you get the winter blues it helps keep you in a better mood.

If you want me to get technical on this issue and prove every souce of my information, I would be here all day, just try a wet sauna and try an infa red, you see what you think
  17. NutraPlanet Fanatic

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I would say you could differentiate between wet and dry sauna, and make a point that way...but simply asking for support, rather than a "trust me" is not out of the question.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  18. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsade
    I would say you could differentiate between wet and dry sauna, and make a point that way...but simply asking for support, rather than a "trust me" is not out of the question.

I have dug out some info form the manufacturer of mine, this may help you, it is interesting really to think that it may increase GH, well I can see bodybuilders everywhere running to the infrared saunas !!!! Can't see that claim working however, enjoy the read

The Heatwave is one of the most exciting developments in the health market giving a wide range of benefits which could change a persons whole outlook on life.

All our infra-red saunas are classed as Far-infra-red saunas. This is the most beneficial infrared treatment for your health. Benefits such as - helping you to get fitter and healthier whilst using up huge amounts of calories. This is all achieved by using a Heatwave infra-red sauna on a regular basis.

A session in a Heatwave is a totally pleasant and rewarding experience with the user able to select whatever temperature they wish their bodies to be, without the discomfort of the air being too warm. This is because the emitters in the Heatwave heat up the person rather than the air. Out of 100% Infra-red energy only 20% heats up the air and 80% is converted to heat within our bodies.

WEIGHT CONTROL
    Depending on the person, a 30 minute session in a Heatwave sauna can result in up to 800 calories being used or the equivalent of a long run.

Also , because of the deep tissue penetration it is one of the fastest and most effective ways of dealing with cellulite.

PHYSICAL FITNESS
    According to the American Medical Association and N.A.S.A., an Infra-red sauna session keeps your cardiovascular system just as healthy as if you were undertaking regular exercise

It has been widely used by astronauts and athletes to great effect.

Infrared Sauna Therapy
    Most people will benefit from one 45-minute session per day. Infra-red saunas leave you feeling invigorated, not depleted like conventional saunas. Many people, including myself, choose to have their sauna treatment first thing in the morning before work.

Health Benefits of Infra-Red Sauna
    Heat therapy using the infra-red sauna can produce an impressive number of positive health benefits:

Assists weight loss and increases metabolism: burns up to 600 calories in 30 minutes
    Improves circulation to deep and superficial tissues
    Promotes detoxification of the heavy metals and organic chemicals stored in fat cells
    Helps to boost the immune response to kill viruses and bacteria
    Pain relief
    Muscle relaxation
    Accelerates the breakdown of fat and cellulite
    Promotes skin tone, elasticity, pore cleansing, and healing of skin conditions such as acne, eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis
    Accelerates wound healing from injuries and surgeries and reduces scar formation
    Passive cardiovascular conditioning effect: enhances oxygen and nutrients to deep tissues
    Regulates blood pressure
    Useful in athletic conditioning to warm muscles before, and after, activity
    Reduces physical and emotional stress
    Reduces fatigue and stimulates energy
    Anti-cancer effect through hyperthermia effect, immune enhancement and elimination of carcinogenic chemicals

Detoxification
    The effect of detoxification is one of the most interesting and wide-ranging benefits of the infra-red sauna. The ability of hyperthermia therapy to release a range of toxins stored in body tissues has been documented in a number of medical studies over the last 20 years. Heat causes chemicals such as heavy metals, pesticides and fat-soluble chemicals to be released from the fat cells and tissues into the lymph fluid. Since sweat is made from the lymph fluid, toxins in the lymph are expelled from the body in the sweat. This process bypasses the liver and kidneys, which are usually sweat is composed of water-, the remaining 15 to 20 percent consists of cholesterol, fat-soluble toxins, toxic heavy metals, sulfuric acid, sodium, ammonia and uric acid.

Study after study has shown that infra-red sauna therapy, combined with nutritional supplements, consistently and dramatically eliminates a wide range of chemical compounds including pesticides, PCBs, heavy metals such as mercury, lead, cadmium and arsenic, and both prescription and non-prescription drugs. Sweat produced during exercise does not eliminate the same amount of toxins.

The detoxification benefits of the infra-red sauna can be applied to a wide number of conditions where toxicity plays as role, such as chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, chemical sensitivities, auto-immune conditions, neurological diseases, allergies, and cancer.

Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue
    For the fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue patient, a consistent program of infra-red sauna therapy will assist the problem of autonomic dysregulation, which is common to these conditions. The autonomic nervous system controls the unconscious functions of the body, including muscle tension, blood pressure, sweating, digestion, and balance. Symptoms of autonomic dysregulation are muscle pain, digestive problems, visual disturbances and dizziness. These symptoms are reduced, as regular sauna therapy induces normal autonomic functioning.

Physical Conditioning
    Infra-red sauna therapy has a beneficial effect on metabolism and cardiovascular conditioning. A session in the sauna doubles the flow of blood to all the tissues of the body and exercises the heart. -This is comparable to a similar time of exercise, although no muscle conditioning will result. This is useful as an augmentation to a regular exercise routine and is a good substitute for those who can't exercise.

The infra-red sauna is a valuable tool in any weight-loss program. At EcoMed, we routinely used the sauna for its excellent calorie burning effects. We find that the sauna accelerates weight loss in a person who is already exercising and following a sensible and healthy alkaline diet. A half-hour session can burn up to 600 calories. Therefore, two sessions a day of 45 minutes each can burn up to 1800 calories, per day, which is equivalent to almost two hours of vigorous aerobic exercise.

There have been reports in marketing literature that hyperthermic-therapy increases human growth hormone, but I have not seen joints. Pain in muscles in alleviated by the reduction of muscle spasms and increased blood circulation to muscles suffering from ischemia (insufficient blood flow). Hyperthermia also helps to reduce pain by the acting on nerve endings as well as encouraging production of endorphins, which act as natural analgesics. As well, heat therapy is useful in helping to reduce inflammation and edema, resulting in a reduction of pain and acceleration of healing of injuries. Hyperthermia will also decrease joint stiffness and increase the flexibility of collagen tissues such as tendons, ligaments and joint capsules.

Infrared therapy has been successfully used to reduce pain from a variety of conditions including whiplash, soft tissue injuries, arthritis, sciatica, back pain, neuritis, bursitis, menstrual cramps, gout, migraines, and chronic muscle spasms.

Skin Care
    The sauna improves blood circulation to the skin and results in a deep pore cleansing. This results in an improved skin tone and elasticity. Regular users are said to have more youthful skin that "glows." People with chronic skin conditions such as acne, psoriasis and eczema will benefit from regular sauna sessions. If the person is heat sensitive, the temperature of the sauna can be turned down to a level that the person can tolerate. Burn victims and people with scars can also benefit from the improved healing of the skin.

Stress Reduction
    Due to the many physiological effects of heat therapy, people feel less stressed after a sauna session. A sauna session relaxes muscles, circulates the blood, stimulates the heart, and releases endorphins, providing a feeling of invigoration. People report being able to sleep better after their sauna sessions.

The newest generation of sauna combines light therapy with infra-red heat treatment by using full spectrum lights, installed inside the sauna. This is useful to stimulate melatonin and for those suffering from seasonally affective disorder (SAD).

The infra-red sauna has become an integral part of my naturopathic practice. I can personally testify to its excellent results in a wide range of conditions. As a preventive tool, I can recommend it to anyone wishing to eliminate toxins from their bodies. From a preventive health perspective, this may be one of the most important things you can do for yourself.

Related articles
    Saunas and complementary cancer care
    A look into the benefits of Infrared saunas and how they can help cancer sufferers
    Season Affective Disorder (SAD) A patient's guide.
    More information on Season Affective Disorder and how to combat it.
    What is light therapy?
    Light Therapy for Health, Beauty and Well-being.
    What is FIR (Far-Infrared)
    Many researchers from Italy, United States of America and Germany have found that it helps to promote health profoundly.
  19. New Member

From Wikipedia

During a 10-20 minute sauna session, the heart rate increases by 50-75%. This provides the same metabolic result as physical exercise. The increased cardiac load is the equivalent to a brisk walk. There is a nominal effect on blood pressure because the heat also causes blood vessels in skin to expand to accommodate increased blood flow.

Blood vessels become more flexible [1] and there is increased circulation to the extremities. During a sauna, blood flow to the skin increases to as high as 50-70% of cardiac output (compared to the standard 5-10%). This is due to the blood vessels in the skin's surface expanding to accommodate the increased blood flow, a process known as vasodilation. This increased blood flow brings important nutrients to subcutaneous and surface tissue, promoting cellular activity and growth.[citation needed] It is especially beneficial to areas of the skin which normally suffer from poor circulation. Along with nourishing the skin, the high temperatures also cause the skin's 2 million eccrine glands to excrete sweat to cool down the skin and blood capillaries. Research has shown that sweat is much more effective than water at emulsifying fat located in the skin's sebaceous glands, and thus at removing the sebum and bacteria lodged in the fat.[citation needed] The vasodilation caused by the high temperatures also allow essential fluids to be transported to the skin's surface. This enhances the development of collagen, giving the skin a continued elasticity and wrinkle-free complexion.

Steambaths and saunas induce sweating to provide a comprehensive cleansing of the skin and sweat glands. Skin is the largest organ in the body. 30% of body wastes are passed through the skin. [citation needed] Profuse sweating enhances the detoxifying capacity of the skin by opening pores and flushing impurities from the body. [citation needed] Researchers have often found that the towels smokers use to sit on in saunas turn yellow as a result of the skin removing impurities and toxins.[citation needed]

When taking a sauna, skin temperature rises to 40C (104F) and internal body temperature rises to about 38C (100.4F). Exposure to the high heat creates an artificial fever state, a process known as hyperthermia. Fever is part of the bodys natural healing process. Fever stimulates the immune system, resulting in increased production of disease fighting white blood cells, antibodies and interferon (an anti viral protein with cancer fighting capability).[citation needed]

Steam inhalation is an excellent treatment for many respiratory problems. For example, the moist air in saunas can relieve throat irritation. Steam also loosens secretions and can stimulate discharge of mucous from the lungs and throat, giving relief to sufferers of bronchitis. Finally steam can also aid sinusitis by relieving congestion and inflammation of the upper respiratory mucous membranes.

The heat also kills all kinds of bacteria and insects, e.g. lice. This knowledge was used widely during the Winter War and Continuation War when Finnish troops were forced to sauna (although with the unclean conditions in the field made it unnecessary to force them). While the men were in their sauna, their equipment was in another. This cleansed both very effectively while Russians had problems with many diseases.[2]

However, it should be noted, people with heart problems may be at risk due to blood pressure unpredictably rising or lowering after using a sauna. People with stable coronary artery disease are generally safe in a sauna, but people with uncontrollable heart problems may be advised to stay away from a Sauna by a doctor in order to avoid possible complications. People with autoimmune disorders may also be at risk.
  20. New Member

so I suppose with the last 2 tread that about sums it up for everyone, saunas, particularly infrared saunas do aid fat loss. Frankly since I have read this thread again I might start using mine again instead of cardio !!!!!!!!!!! but i doubt it
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Sauna / steam room after lifting?
    By Rude29 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-15-2012, 12:56 AM
  2. Sauna/steam room and sub q weight loss
    By FitModel in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-21-2009, 01:53 PM
  3. sauna / steam post workout???
    By jman901 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-29-2008, 06:47 AM
  4. How are saunas/steam rooms best used?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2003, 05:42 PM
  5. What are the benefits of using the Sauna and/or the Steam Room?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 04:32 AM