Quick Semi-Keto Query

khafra

Awards
Yes, I know, must be getting tired of them by now, but bear with me:

I can't reference it, but I've heard many times that when cutting it's a good idea to do light cardio in the morning before eating. The reason I've heard associated is that even if you're not on a ketogenic diet, your body's in a state of ketosis from its 8 hour fast (guess this is for those who don't do the midnight snack shake).

If I have to do heavier cardio/strength training in the morning, but I ate something ketogenic--cheese, a little flax oil and caseinate, or something--would that work as well?

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Your body will not be in ketosis overnight unless on a ketogenic diet. But, yes, LIGHT cardio won't hurt on an empty stomach. Moderate to heavy cardio and/or any weight training should be done with something in the stomach. The food you mentioned would suffice pre w/o.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't do cardio on an empty stomach. When you wake up your body is starving and your muscles are in a catabolic state. By doing cardio at this time you will not only be burning cals but breaking down muscle to help you get through the cardio.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
But, yes, LIGHT cardio won't hurrt on an empty stomach. Moderate to heavy cardio and/or any weight training should be done with something in the stomach. The food you mentioned would suffice pre w/o.