Waist Size Effect of Building Muscle

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Waist Size Effect of Building Muscle


    I am currently cutting after a bulking cycle and it seems my waist size is much larger at bf%'s I was before the cycle.

    How much is your waist affected when building muscle?

    I should say that although I need to, I don't do a lot of ab work.


  2. I notice when bulking I am eating so much more my stomach is always full which increases waist size.
  3. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    depending upon the exercises you chose you could potentiate increased girth in your hips and abdomin.

    Heavy squats, heavy dead, heavy rows, etc, can increase core strength which can and will increase core girth.
    Look at all these little kids takin' care of the music biz don't their bus'ness take good care of me...
    •   
       


  4. Add to that that there is almost always a water retention effect post cycle and this can stick around for as much as a month or so after the cycle is over.

  5. I am glad to have a thicker core, as my other liftes should and have gotten a lot better. I have just always mesured my weight and overall "shape" based on waist size. Lately, since my pants are fitting snugger and at similar bf%'s it was getting me mad.... guess I can't be doing that too much any more.

  6. I do rows, squats, deads, etc and never noticed an increase in the girth of my waist. It has stayed about the same as I've put mass on my frame. However, I think that if you put on a lot of mass in a short time its a very realistic possibility. There's a guy I knew from the gym i used to lift at who went pretty crazy with a dirty bulk, probably eating 5-6,000 calories a day. When he went back and leaned out after an exhaustively long cut his waist size was 3" bigger but was at around the same bodyfat he started at.

  7. That seems to be what I have kind of done. Not to that extent, but it has goten a bit bigger.

  8. Mine definitely gets bigger.

    But this is to be expected.

  9. start taking a tablespoon of metamucil 2x a day for two weeks .. you are likely distended from eating so much .. this always helps trim down my waist a bit

    there are also numerous intesintal and colon cleanse products that work well too

    i don't know your age but you may have years of backed up, stored, and gunkified fecal matter just sitting there making your stomach protrude and your waist seem bigger

  10. Quote Originally Posted by B5150
    depending upon the exercises you chose you could potentiate increased girth in your hips and abdomin.

    Heavy squats, heavy dead, heavy rows, etc, can increase core strength which can and will increase core girth.
    he's right

    I've been lately having trouble fitting into a few pairs of my pants even though my BF% has dropped.

  11. i disagree i squat 425 and dead 545 and my waist is barely over 30 inches

  12. i don't know your age but you may have years of backed up, stored, and gunkified fecal matter just sitting there making your stomach protrude and your waist seem bigger
    36

    Didn't I see this on an infomercial? Have you experienced this?

    Not that I don't believe you, and I may try it, but I do find it hard to believe.

    What brands of colon cleaner have you used and what type of results did you have? I have never used one and all I envision is taking this stuff and then crapping all over... If you used a colon cleaner, did you see a difference in your waist size immediately or did it take a few weeks?

    Sorry for all the questions, but this is new to me…

  13. i have to look up the brand when i get back home, i still hvae the bottle

    i'm only 23 so you've got 13 more years of "crap" in you (literally) .. and what i noticed was after a few days very dense black almost rubber looking "turds" started coming out .. i wasn't taking a dump every 3 seconds .. just 3 mega dumps a day .. my waist line went down 1.5 inches in 3 weeks .. it was a gradual thing

    yes it sounds like a late night infomercial and i understand why you're skeptical .. but its relatively cheap and you really have nothing to lose except backed up crap

    plus i noticed i only needed about 85% of my normal cals to maintain weight

  14. The alternative to something like that is a 1 week fast but I'd give the pills a try first.

  15. BTW, low-dose SesaThin can help prevent fat gain while on a bulk.

  16. Glenihan, did you ever find out what you were taking?

  17. here ya go ... you can get these at any vitamin shoppe or similiar place

    THE CLEANSE –

    Black Walnut Hull Tincture Extra Strength:

    Day 1: Take 2 tsp., all together in 1/4 (one forth) cup water. Sip it, don't gulp it. Get it down within 15 minutes. (If you are over 150 pounds, take 2 1/2 (two and half) tsp. Do not take more than 3 tsp. because no additional value has been observed.) I used 2 1/2 tsp.

    Wormwood capsules (should contain 200-300 mg of wormwood, see Sources):

    Day 1: Take 1 capsule before supper (with water).
    Day 2: Take 1 capsule before supper.
    Day 3: Take 2 capsules before supper.
    Day 4: Take 2 capsules before supper.
    Day 5: Take 3 capsules before supper.
    Day 6: Take 3 capsules before supper.
    Day 7: Take 4 capsules before supper.
    Day 8: Take 4 capsules before supper.
    Day 9: Take 5 capsules before supper.
    Day 10: Take 5 capsules before supper.
    Day 11: Take 6 capsules before supper.
    Day 12: Take 6 capsules before supper.
    Day 13: Take 7 capsules before supper.
    Day 14: Take 7 capsules before supper.
    Day 15: Take 7 capsules before supper.
    Day 16: Take 7 capsules before supper.

    You take the capsules all in a single does (you may take a few at a time until they are all gone). Try not to get interrupted before the 6th day, so you know the adult intestinal flukes are dead. After this, you may proceed more slowly if you wish. Many persons with sensitive stomachs prefer to stay longer on each dose instead of increasing according to this schedule. You may choose the pace after the sixth day.

    Cloves (500 mg):

    Day 1: Take one capsule 3 times a day before meals.
    Day 2: Take two capsules 3 times a day.
    Days 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10: Take three capsules 3 times a day.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by glenihan
    there are also numerous intesintal and colon cleanse products that work well too

    i don't know your age but you may have years of backed up, stored, and gunkified fecal matter just sitting there making your stomach protrude and your waist seem bigger
    Glenihan - I respect what you say a great deal, and I generally find your posts to be accurate. On this point, however, I must disagree.

    I have a close relative who is a gastroenterologist. Basically, his job is sticking tubes with video cameras into people's intestines and poking around. On a number of occasions, I've had the opportunity to look at the photos he's taken from inside the intestine.

    There's no "gunkified fecal matter" or much of anything else up there. The intestines are generally quite clean; they look like the inside of your mouth. This is after only a 24 hour fast and a mild laxative.

    I've actually asked him about colon cleansing programs (in a different context), and he confirmed what I concluded from the pictures. Most people don't have fecal matter and other stuff sitting around in there, as the body does an efficient job of clearing itself out. When this does occur, it's because of a serious medical problem and the person is likely to land in the hospital very quickly.

    So I suggest the possibility that the change in the appearance of your s**ts after taking the colon cleanse product was probably due to the effect of the cleansing product on how your colon processes food and produces waste, not because the matter itself was old.

    I'm not saying that colon cleanse products couldn't reduce waist size by some other mechanism. Just that, in normal and healthy people, they don't do so by clearing out years of accumulated fecal matter, because this matter just isn't there. But like you said, trying a colon cleanse couldn't hurt.

  19. hmm interesting .. well whatever the reason it definitely decreased my waist ...

  20. Quote Originally Posted by glenihan
    hmm interesting .. well whatever the reason it definitely decreased my waist ...
    Hey, that's what matters, right? However it works, I may try out a bottle myself.

  21. aren't your small and large intestines together like miles and miles long? .. maybe there's backed up matter in those miles those colonoscopy cams can't see

  22. Together the small and large intestines together are about 7.5 meters long. The scopes can get to the large intestine by going up through the colon (colonoscopy) or to the small intestine by going down through the esophogus (upper endoscopy).

    Here's a picture from the small intestine:
    http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/~nchang...s/smallint.JPG

    Here's one from the colon:
    http://www.gaspa.com/Photos/COLON-1.JPG

    Here's one from the large intestine:
    http://www.dhmc.org/dhmc-internet-up...colonscopy.jpg
    In the bottom photo, you can see the instrument about to remove a polyp.

    Maybe AM should create a "Gastroenterology" sub-forum?

  23. I read somewhere once that androgens cause fat to be stored around the waist and estrogens cause it to be stored around hips and chest. This is supposed to be why fat women have big butts and fat men have big bellies.

    If you do a bulk, especially if you are doing it with anabolic steroids, there is a good chance that this is the reason why your body is storing the fat around your mid section.

    I also noticed this a couple years ago when I cut a bunch of weight. When I gained the weight back it hit me in the mid section. Even now my upper abs are more visible then they ever were before that cut even though my BF% is probably similiar to what it was pre-cut. My lower waist and love handles however are a bit thicker.

  24. hmm i have no idea where the hell i heard if stretched out the intestines would be miles .. live and learn

  25. Well 7 meters is pretty damn long.

  26. Quote Originally Posted by natiels
    I read somewhere once that androgens cause fat to be stored around the waist and estrogens cause it to be stored around hips and chest. This is supposed to be why fat women have big butts and fat men have big bellies.

    If you do a bulk, especially if you are doing it with anabolic steroids, there is a good chance that this is the reason why your body is storing the fat around your mid section.

    I also noticed this a couple years ago when I cut a bunch of weight. When I gained the weight back it hit me in the mid section. Even now my upper abs are more visible then they ever were before that cut even though my BF% is probably similiar to what it was pre-cut. My lower waist and love handles however are a bit thicker.
    This has to do with alpha-2 andregenic receptors, which are the more abundant ones. Women typically have them around their hips, and dudes have them around the love handles. Try reading up on yohimbine, an alpha-2 selective antagonist.

  27. glenihan, while I didn't go out and get the stuff you suggested, I did do some research. After that, I just went and bought some standard fiber supps... it worked rather well. After about 4-5 days of taking the fiber supps, I went down about an inch in my waist.

    Nothing weird shot out my a$$ but I did feel a little better. If anyone is looking to de-bloat, this might be a way to do it.

  28. I'm not sure how it works either, but I have noticed that adding a lot of fiber to my diet (via food or supps) helps me to cut my waist size down some...I feel like it almost has a diuretic effect, but I'm not absolutely sure about that. I do know it has helped me to cut my weight down some too.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49

  29. I triple dosed on the super colon cleanse (not advisable and ONLY try this at home as you dont dare leave ) for a few days and I lost 7# and Im not exactly sure what it was that came out but I know nothing looked like that when it went in.


    Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths . Proverbs 3:5-6

  30. haha i'm glad to hear everyone is having such success
  31. Red face


    There's a product called ColonBlow. I just tried it and it worked wonders. Its easy to use as you substitute this stuff for 3 meals in a row. I dropped 3 pounds and the stuff that came out was ghastly. It also allowed me to feel better. For days before I was having a bloated feeling in my upper abdomen, but now I feel much better and have more energy. Do a find on it and read about the reviews on it, its hillarous stuff.

  32. Quote Originally Posted by brdodge
    There's a product called ColonBlow.
    Funniest product name ever.

  33. Quote Originally Posted by mmowry
    I triple dosed on the super colon cleanse (not advisable and ONLY try this at home as you dont dare leave ) for a few days and I lost 7# and Im not exactly sure what it was that came out but I know nothing looked like that when it went in.
    Ouch... Super Colon Cleanse contains the exact same ingredient as ExLax... that must have been fun.

  34. Yeah check out the "outstanding poop pics" on the colon blow website. Hard to believe

  35. Quote Originally Posted by TeamSavage
    Ouch... Super Colon Cleanse contains the exact same ingredient as ExLax... that must have been fun.
    I have a pretty strange sense of humor as in most any physical pain or discomfort is amusing.So yeh in was but lets just say by the end of this experience charmin felt like sandpaper.


    Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths . Proverbs 3:5-6

  36. Quote Originally Posted by Leggo my Ego
    Yeah check out the "outstanding poop pics" on the colon blow website. Hard to believe
    Colonblow - outstanding poop pics.

    You have GOT to be kidding me... I think the person who named this product and took those pics has been doing too much NasalBlow.

  37. Quote Originally Posted by TeamSavage
    Glenihan - I respect what you say a great deal, and I generally find your posts to be accurate. On this point, however, I must disagree.

    I have a close relative who is a gastroenterologist. Basically, his job is sticking tubes with video cameras into people's intestines and poking around. On a number of occasions, I've had the opportunity to look at the photos he's taken from inside the intestine.

    There's no "gunkified fecal matter" or much of anything else up there. The intestines are generally quite clean; they look like the inside of your mouth. This is after only a 24 hour fast and a mild laxative.

    I've actually asked him about colon cleansing programs (in a different context), and he confirmed what I concluded from the pictures. Most people don't have fecal matter and other stuff sitting around in there, as the body does an efficient job of clearing itself out. When this does occur, it's because of a serious medical problem and the person is likely to land in the hospital very quickly.

    So I suggest the possibility that the change in the appearance of your s**ts after taking the colon cleanse product was probably due to the effect of the cleansing product on how your colon processes food and produces waste, not because the matter itself was old.

    I'm not saying that colon cleanse products couldn't reduce waist size by some other mechanism. Just that, in normal and healthy people, they don't do so by clearing out years of accumulated fecal matter, because this matter just isn't there. But like you said, trying a colon cleanse couldn't hurt.
    I'm sorry but this is somewhat incorrect. You forgot to mention (and I'm sure your relative GI did as well because he takes it as a given), but colonoscopies are always preceeded by a colon prep in which you drink hypertonic salt water to clean yourself out days prior to the test. So THAT is why your intestines are clean on camera because you just gave yourself a colonic. I suppose you could do this once a month, but it's not pleasant. I'd opt for a more gradual cleansing program like the tabs or metamucil. More people than not do have fecal matter left over in their intestines. The increased transit time associated with low fiber diets is one of the theories behind the emergence of colon cancer, seeing as how the toxins have more time to penetrate the mucosa.

    As far as the original question regarding increased waist size, mine always goes up whie bulking due to many factors, mainly increased caloric intake, increased water retention, and increased gas production from the high amount of artifical protein meal replacements (I eat almost all whole foods while cutting, and while I want to do this while bulking as it's healthier, I just dont have the time/appetite for such calories). I don't performm any weighted oblique exercises, but I do resistance crunches. I always squat and leg press heavy so my extesor muscles that cross the hip joint add to increased waist size as well.

  38. I eat so much fiber usually that when I go out of town or to a friends house and don't eat my regular veggies. I can def tell that my waste is pokin out. And I feel like a bag of ass if I miss a dump in the morning. (from talking to people most of them "drop the duece" abot once every other day WTF??)

    Anyhow I make 6 big bran muffins with wheat flour usually eat all of them in the after noon couple hours before bed. And oh boy n the morning get about 1 cup of coffee down and then take an absolutely exhausting dump and usually fill the bowl up so much that it sits about 2" above the waterline. Then voilla my pants fit better and I feel like a new man
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-20-2012, 02:23 AM
  2. Reducing waist size while retaining upperbody muscle????
    By Pitbull86 in forum Bodybuilding Contest Preperation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-09-2011, 02:59 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-13-2008, 02:27 PM
  4. Study on the effect of drugs on spider's web building
    By diminuendo in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 02:34 PM
  5. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 06:09 AM
Log in
Log in