Carb Timing

Eunisx

Awards
I am currently experimenting with my low carb diet. I respond better to low carb diets than Low GI diets. I am going to take in 50-60 grams of carbs on workout days and closest to 0 as possible on non-workout days. My question is when would it be best to take my carbs before my workout for energy or after my workout for replenishing. I will be carbing up on day 7 consuming 200-400 grams of carbs and a cheat meal.

My current stats are 225lbs, about 7-9% bf, lifting for 7 years, not using any AAS this time around. I am cosuming about 100 grams of fat, 280-320 grams of protein, and 50-60 grams of carbs (workout days) per day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
I am currently experimenting with my low carb diet. I respond better to low carb diets than Low GI diets. I am going to take in 50-60 grams of carbs on workout days and closest to 0 as possible on non-workout days. My question is when would it be best to take my carbs before my workout for energy or after my workout for replenishing. I will be carbing up on day 7 consuming 200-400 grams of carbs and a cheat meal.

My current stats are 225lbs, about 7-9% bf, lifting for 7 years, not using any anabolic steroids this time around. I am cosuming about 100 grams of fat, 280-320 grams of protein, and 50-60 grams of carbs (workout days) per day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
This kinda depends on a number of factors, but in general, you wanna sandwich your training bout with carbs. In your case, have 25-30g pre & the other 25-30g post. The other option would be to sip it throughout training.

Eunisx

Awards
I've tried for a week to just use carbs post workout and it worked ok. I found myself quite tired during the workout. Now I am doing carbs pre-workout. It is going ok but I seem to be holding a bit of water. I take NO-Explode pre and cell mass after with protein. Don't know why I am holding water?

Eunisx

Awards
Would the addition of carbs post-workout be beneficial? I would then be taking about 50 grams pre-workout and then 50 post (10 grams from Cell Mass & 40 grams from oatmeal or cream of rice). I would only carb up 1 day a week, Sunday, for about 4-5 hrs.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In my opinion, unless you are looking to get into ketosis eat carbs pre and post. The amount will depend on a few factors.

Some get by with 25 pre and post. Some need more others less. It also depends on how well or poorly your body utilizes carbohydrates.

Since I gather you are dieting, overall caloric defecit is what is important unless you are looking to get into ketosis. JMHO

Eunisx

Awards
Not looking to get into ketosis. Yes I am dieting but would rather eat carbs around my workout to have a little bit of energy.

Stay Puft

Stay Puft

Avant Research Guru
Awards
  • Established
Bracketing CHO intake around the workout has been a common plan of attack for many athletes to take advantage of the nutrient partitioning.

Regarding the Carbs pre-workout a mix of BCAA's and some slow digesting carbs such as Oats, or SuperCarb or a combination of the two. These should keep your blood sugar elevated in the later stages of the workout and keep your endurance up.