Carb Timing

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.44%

Carb Timing

I am currently experimenting with my low carb diet. I respond better to low carb diets than Low GI diets. I am going to take in 50-60 grams of carbs on workout days and closest to 0 as possible on non-workout days. My question is when would it be best to take my carbs before my workout for energy or after my workout for replenishing. I will be carbing up on day 7 consuming 200-400 grams of carbs and a cheat meal.

My current stats are 225lbs, about 7-9% bf, lifting for 7 years, not using any AAS this time around. I am cosuming about 100 grams of fat, 280-320 grams of protein, and 50-60 grams of carbs (workout days) per day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.43%

Quote Originally Posted by Eunisx
    I am currently experimenting with my low carb diet. I respond better to low carb diets than Low GI diets. I am going to take in 50-60 grams of carbs on workout days and closest to 0 as possible on non-workout days. My question is when would it be best to take my carbs before my workout for energy or after my workout for replenishing. I will be carbing up on day 7 consuming 200-400 grams of carbs and a cheat meal.

My current stats are 225lbs, about 7-9% bf, lifting for 7 years, not using any anabolic steroids this time around. I am cosuming about 100 grams of fat, 280-320 grams of protein, and 50-60 grams of carbs (workout days) per day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    This kinda depends on a number of factors, but in general, you wanna sandwich your training bout with carbs. In your case, have 25-30g pre & the other 25-30g post. The other option would be to sip it throughout training.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.44%

I've tried for a week to just use carbs post workout and it worked ok. I found myself quite tired during the workout. Now I am doing carbs pre-workout. It is going ok but I seem to be holding a bit of water. I take NO-Explode pre and cell mass after with protein. Don't know why I am holding water?
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.44%

Would the addition of carbs post-workout be beneficial? I would then be taking about 50 grams pre-workout and then 50 post (10 grams from Cell Mass & 40 grams from oatmeal or cream of rice). I would only carb up 1 day a week, Sunday, for about 4-5 hrs.
  5. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

In my opinion, unless you are looking to get into ketosis eat carbs pre and post. The amount will depend on a few factors.

Some get by with 25 pre and post. Some need more others less. It also depends on how well or poorly your body utilizes carbohydrates.

Since I gather you are dieting, overall caloric defecit is what is important unless you are looking to get into ketosis. JMHO
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.44%

Not looking to get into ketosis. Yes I am dieting but would rather eat carbs around my workout to have a little bit of energy.
  7. Avant Research Guru
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.17%

Bracketing CHO intake around the workout has been a common plan of attack for many athletes to take advantage of the nutrient partitioning.

Regarding the Carbs pre-workout a mix of BCAA's and some slow digesting carbs such as Oats, or SuperCarb or a combination of the two. These should keep your blood sugar elevated in the later stages of the workout and keep your endurance up.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Carb Timing and overall importance of carbs.
    By redline2101 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-16-2009, 10:18 AM
  2. carb timing while cutting
    By insanity1 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-14-2009, 02:32 PM
  3. Carb Timing
    By system60 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 01:45 PM
  4. Carb timing