asparatame makes you fatter??

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
Here is an article I found that I thought was interesting. There have been numerous debates here on whether diet sodas were ok to drink or not and whether they will help or hinder your diet goals...

Posted: 22 July 2006

I have been a medical doctor for over 25 years and have clinical and research interests in the liver and metabolism. I have authored several best selling health books including the "Liver Cleansing Diet", "The Body Shaping Diet", "Don't Let Your Hormones Ruin Your Life", "Women's Health", "Menopause and Natural Hormone Replacement Therapy" and I lecture internationally on these subjects. I have been consulted by thousands of patients with weight problems, hormonal imbalances, fatty liver, sluggish metabolism and chronic ill health. I have been an advocate and practitioner of nutritional methods of healing for 30 years. I regularly appear on national television and broadcast on many radio stations to educate people about the importance of a healthy liver in achieving good health and weight control!

In the interests of public health I am making a position statement concerning the use of the artificial sweetener called aspartame and sold most commonly under the names of NutraSweet and Equal. One must ask, "why do millions of people ingest a toxic chemical like aspartame everyday"? To me it appears ridiculous and I believe that it is because people have been brainwashed into thinking aspartame will keep their weight down and is good for health. It also shows me that we have lost touch with our own natural senses and instincts.

After having been consulted by thousands of overweight people suffering with problems concerning the liver and/or metabolism I can assure you that aspartame will not help you in any way, indeed it will help you to gain unwanted weight. This has been my experience, and there are logical reasons to explain the fattening and bloating effects of aspartame. When you ingest the toxic chemical aspartame it is absorbed from the intestines and passes immediately to the LIVER where it is taken inside the liver via the liver filter. The liver then breaks down or metabolizes aspartame to its toxic components - phenylalanine, aspartic acid and methanol. This process requires a lot of energy from the liver which means there will be less energy remaining in the liver cells. This means the liver cells will have less energy for fat burning and metabolism, which will result in fat storing. Excess fat may build up inside the liver cells causing "fatty liver" and when this starts to occur it is extremely difficult to lose weight. In my vast experience any time that you overload the liver you will increase the tendency to gain weight easily.

Aspartame also causes weight gain by other mechanisms ---Causes unstable blood sugar levels, which increases the appetite and causes cravings for sweets/sugar. Thus it is particularly toxic for those with diabetes or epilepsy. Causes fluid retention giving the body a puffy and bloated appearance. This makes people look fatter than they are and increases cellulite.

To discover more about the liver look up my web site - http:// Welcome To Dr Sandra Cabot's Liver Doctor Website , and to learn more about natural sugars that are better for the liver and weight, read my books "The Liver Cleansing Diet" and "Boost Your Energy". To order see your book store, or call Ten Speed Press or call 1-888-75-Liver

COMMENTS BY DR. BETTY MARTINI:

Also with regard to obesity and aspartame, the Trocho Study in Barcelona in l998 showed that the formaldehyde converted from the free methyl alcohol accumulates in the cells and damages DNA with most toxicity in the liver but substantial toxicity in the adipose tissue or fat cells. Further a recent epidemiological study by Sharon Fowler at the University of Texas in 2005 linked diet drinks with obesity.

In the Congressional Record, Senate, S - 5511, May 7, l985, and part of the protest of the National Soft Drink Assn, now American Beverage, is this Statement:

"Aspartame has been demonstrated to inhibit the carbohydrate-induced synthesis of the neurotransmitter serotonin (Wurtman affidavit). Serotonin blunts the sensation of craving carbohydrates and this is part of the body's feedback system that helps limit consumption of carbohydrate to appropriate levels. Its inhibition by aspartame could lead to the anomalous result of a diet product causing increased consumption of carbohydrates."

So as far as product liability is concerned you have companies marketing an addictive excitoneurotoxic carcinogenic drug to the population as a sugarfree diet product knowing full well this is causing obesity. They also know that aspartame is addictive and that the methanol component is classified as a narcotic. Aspartame liberates free methyl alcohol causing chronic methanol poisoning. This affects the dopamine system of the brain causing the addiction.
Dr. Betty Martini
Founder, Mission Possible International
9270 River Club Parkway
Duluth, Georgia 30097
770-242-2599
MISSION POSSIBLE WORLD HEALTH INTERNATIONAL
WORLD NATURAL HEALTH ORGANIZATION
Aspartame is NOT safe. DORway to Discovery has the WHOLE truth!

Aspartame Toxiocity Center: Aspartame (Nutrasweet) Toxicity Information Center

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
This makes sense! I mean, "diet" products have been on the market for, what, a few decades now? and we're more obese than ever. sheeesh

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
In my vast experience any time that you overload the liver you will increase the tendency to gain weight easily.
i wonder if those guys that border on the edge of abuse of methylated steroids suffer from this?

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
asparatame is a poison an should be avoided. check out studies involving long term use, can lead to a slow paralytic death. more or less.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I honestly think this is an excuse for fat people to feel better. There are plenty of perfectly fit people who use products containing asparatame.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I honestly think this is an excuse for fat people to feel better. There are plenty of perfectly fit people who use products containing asparatame.
I never read this right the first time, i agree tottally bro.

maxxdout

Awards
Saw this article a while back man.. Been drinking juice and water ever since. Tried showing it to some people who drink that sh*t but they dont listen. The drug companies dont care about anything man.. all they are trying to do is make a buck.

ryano

Awards
  • Established
My mom is diabetic and addicted to diet coke. I will have her take a look at this but it will not matter.

I try and buy her the diet coke with splenda whenever I can. What are you gonna do?

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
That's a great article. Where'd you find it?
Actually I found it through a link in an email that my fiancee's sister sent me about asparatame... I already deleted it otherwise I'd offer to send it to you...sorry... but here is a link to all sorts of articles about asparatame, and some about splenda. javascript: void(0) enjoy

Jeffrw

Jeffrw

Awards
I'm all for avoiding soda...both diet and regular, though I do induldge once in awhile almost always diet.

Let's debate some real world applications though:

1) How much is toxic/harmful?
2) Does this mean regular soda may better than diet?
3) What about products with Splenda such as Coke Zero?

:think:

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
I'm all for avoiding soda...both diet and regular, though I do induldge once in awhile almost always diet.

Let's debate some real world applications though:

1) How much is toxic/harmful?
2) Does this mean regular soda may better than diet?
3) What about products with Splenda such as Coke Zero?

:think:
yeah, I avoid all sodas too... and some times indulge. Last weekend, I had 1/2 a pepsi:twisted:

1) I'm not sure how much would be deemed harmful
2) If I am gonna have a soda, I'd rather have reg.
3)Sucralose Toxicity Information Center
Splenda (Sucralose) Toxicity Exposed
The Potential Dangers of Sucralose (Splenda)

I stay away from all artificial sweeteners, but am curious about trying stevia

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
I'm not an M.D., but I have a degree in neuroscience and I currently work in the nutraceutical industry, so I know my way around biochem. I'm certainly not an expert on aspartame, but there are a few statements in this article that lead me to believe whoever wrote it has no idea what they're talking about.

The liver then breaks down or metabolizes aspartame to its toxic components - phenylalanine, aspartic acid and methanol.
Hmm.. well for starters, phenylalanine and aspartic acid aren't toxic at all. They're amino acids, completely non-toxic.

L-phenylalanine is an essential amino acid that the body converts into tyrosine, which is then used to make two important neurotransmitters, dopamine and norepinephrine. So in fact, L-phenylalanine is quite important to the normal functioning of the brain. It's toxic only to a small percentage of people with a genetic disease called PKU, in which the enzyme to properly metabolize phenylalnine is not present. These people must avoid excessive consumption of phenylalanine (and thus aspartame), but if you have PKU, you'd know it, since it would have been detected shortly after birth. It's worth nothing that many people take phenylalanine supplements, ingesting far more phenylalanine than is used as an artificial sweetener, for a variety of reasons without ill effects.

Aspartic acid is a non-essential amino acid. It's naturally found in the body and is actually produced by the body as a metabolite of the urea cycle. So again, completely non-toxic.

The very fact that the author called phenylalanine and aspartic acid "toxic" leads me to doubt that the author is actually an M.D., as this is first-semester med school stuff.

Methanol is toxic in high enough doses, but aspartame has been extensively studied and symptoms of methanol toxicity have not been detected.

This process requires a lot of energy from the liver which means there will be less energy remaining in the liver cells. This means the liver cells will have less energy for fat burning and metabolism, which will result in fat storing. Excess fat may build up inside the liver cells causing "fatty liver" and when this starts to occur it is extremely difficult to lose weight.
Without spending the next 10,000 words delving into liver chemistry, suffice it to state that this paragraph is a gross simplification of how the liver works to the point of being completely inaccurate. The metabolism of aspartame doesn't require "a lot of energy from the liver"... metabolism is what the liver does. It's the liver's main function. The liver metabolizes hundreds of compounds on a daily basis, and the metabolism of one more doesn't make a difference unless it's hepatoxic (toxic to the liver) for a specific reason.

Furthermore, "fatty liver" is not caused by having "less energy for fat burning and metabolism". It can be caused by a variety of specific factors such as a long-term, high fat diet or chronic alcohol consumption. And while "fatty liver" is a major concern in terms of liver health, it doesn't necessarily make it harder to lose weight.

To be blunt, this paragraph is so absurdly off-base as to how the liver works that it destroys the credibility of the author. The above two points are the most specific, but certainly not exhaustive, critiques. Basically, what this article is saying about the liver is a load of bull****.

So in conclusion, I would not trust a word this article says. I'm not saying that aspartame is completely safe or that it doesn't affect fat metabolism or storage. I am saying, however, that I would not treat this article as a legitimate source of information, as the person who wrote it has obviously not even taken Biochem 101, let alone gone to medical school.

And for what it's worth, I drink about 64 oz of Diet Coke/Pepsi per day, ingesting tons of aspartame. I just had bloodwork with a full liver panel, and all the values came back normal.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Hmm, this article has really got me steamed.

Just to clarify or simpify a little bit, what the author wrote is a little like somebody saying:

"I've worked as a mechanic for 30 years and as an engineer in the Engine Development division at GM. Cars work by adding oil into the engine and then lighting the oil on fire with a special Zippo lighter, which causes an explosion that shoots the car forward. If you drive in the rain, the water will mix with the oil and put out the fire, which stops the explosions and will make your car stall. Even after the water dries, a little will remain in the oil and the explosions will be less powerful, which will make your car run slower and prevent it from making right turns."

That's basically the equivalent of what the author of the article said about phenylalanine, aspartic acid, and how the liver works.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
"I've worked as a mechanic for 30 years and as an engineer in the Engine Development division at GM. Cars work by adding oil into the engine and then lighting the oil on fire with a special Zippo lighter, which causes an explosion that shoots the car forward. If you drive in the rain, the water will mix with the oil and put out the fire, which stops the explosions and will make your car stall. Even after the water dries, a little will remain in the oil and the explosions will be less powerful, which will make your car run slower and prevent it from making right turns."
That's what my mechanic said to me today...are you the same guy???

Wait a minute, do you mean my mechanic was being dishonest???? NEVER!!!

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
That's a great article. Where'd you find it?

That article is total BS propaganda bit. From the article:

"So when I read somewhere that aspartame (Nutrasweet) was actually
developed as an ant poison and only changed to being considered
non-poisonous after it was realized that a lot more money could be made on
it as a sweetener than as an ant poison, I decided to give it a try"

Ten seconds of research would have provided the author with the info that the aspartame was not developed to be an ant poison. Articles like this totally piss me off because they won't stick to the facts and instead try to convince people through scare tactics.

There are enough FACT based reasons to avoid large amounts of aspartame in one's diet. I don't think small amounts are a big deal, but considering just how much of it is in common products it is very easy to consume a lot. It like msg contain neurotransmitters that are essential to us, BUT too much and they become excitotoxic. Better to aim on the low to none side than too much.

TSC

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
It's one thing to write a total BS propaganda bit. It's another to start it with "I have been a medical doctor for over 25 years". Starting with an obvious lie is never good, especially when that lie is used to lend credence to all the BS propaganda that follows.

This is a good example of why the Internet is both a blessing and a curse. There's lots of great information, but you often have to know at least the basics of what you're researching in order to separate the nonsense (90%) from the legitimate (10%).

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
There are enough FACT based reasons to avoid large amounts of aspartame in one's diet. I don't think small amounts are a big deal, but considering just how much of it is in common products it is very easy to consume a lot. It like msg contain neurotransmitters that are essential to us, BUT too much and they become excitotoxic. Better to aim on the low to none side than too much.

TSC
There is some concern over the cumulative effect of antagonizing any neuro-receptor for long periods of time. When people comsume products 2-3 times ED, there may not be enough "clearing" time as their receptors down regulate. Depending on the half-life of the metabolites and their ability to antagonize the same receptors as aspartame itself, you may be caught in an endless cycle of down regulation. This could lead to a dazed and confused population of diet soda drinkers. So, yes it may not be terribly harmful to have aspartame occasionally, but ufortunately, I think most users are on a daily dosing protocol.

rotarnomore

Awards
There is some concern over the cumulative effect of antagonizing any neuro-receptor for long periods of time. When people comsume products 2-3 times ED, there may not be enough "clearing" time as their receptors down regulate. Depending on the half-life of the metabolites and their ability to antagonize the same receptors as aspartame itself, you may be caught in an endless cycle of down regulation. This could lead to a dazed and confused population of diet soda drinkers. So, yes it may not be terribly harmful to have aspartame occasionally, but ufortunately, I think most users are on a daily dosing protocol.
I believe the concern is over phenylalinine. A necessary amino acid. This product has been attacked over and over and still comes clean through LEGITIMATE UNBIASED testing. The only recommendation I have seen is that very young kids should stay away from large amounts. I think the scare is total BS. With heart disease the #1 health concern in America (mostly caused by being overweight), I'll stick to my artifical sweetners.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
What receptors, specifically, are you talking about?

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
The receptors in the limbric region of you brain.
You mean the receptors on dopaminergic neurons in the limbic system? Phenylalanine does not stimulate these receptors. There is no "phenylalanine receptor". L-phenylalanine is converted to L-tyrosine, which is converted to L-dopa, which is then converted to dopamine. Only dopamine can stimulate the receptors, so the relationship is quite indirect.

Taking high amounts of phenylalanine does not necessarily result in high levels of dopamine or high dopaminergic stimulation... certainly not high enough to cause dopaminergic toxicity or even down-regulation of dopamine receptors. There are numerous other limiting factors that maintain homeostasis and prevent large amounts of phenylalanine from being converted to dopamine in the brain. Don't get me wrong. High doses of phenylalanine can have a mildly stimulating effect, but there's a ceiling on the effect that's quite low. Maybe if you took many grams of phenylalanine all at once, on an empty stomach (so there were no other aminos competing for absorption), with high doses of a methyl donor like SAM-e, the effect might be great enough to cause a mild stimulation and, if chronically administered over weeks or months, an equally mild down-regulation. But this situation is a far cry from the relatively small amounts of phenylalanine produced from aspartame.

To experience the type of down-regulation you're talking about, you need something that directly and dramatically increases dopamine release (e.g. amphetamines) or else directly and dramatically increases actual dopamine levels, such as L-dopa with carbidopa, administered daily in high doses (e.g. Parkinson's treatment) for months or years.

Saying aspartame could cause a significant down-regulation of dopaminergic receptors because it contains phenylalanine is like saying that eating turkey on Thanksgiving will cause a down-regulation of serotonergic receptors because it contains L-tryptophan.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
The type of situation you're talking about really only occurs, as far as real-life situations go, with abuse of amphetamines.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
You mean the receptors on dopaminergic neurons in the limbic system? Phenylalanine does not stimulate these receptors. There is no "phenylalanine receptor". L-phenylalanine is converted to L-tyrosine, which is converted to L-dopa, which is then converted to dopamine. Only dopamine can stimulate the receptors, so the relationship is quite indirect.

Well, there is some concern because there is a relationship. An indirect relationship can still lead to stimulation, most brain-chemical relationships are indirect to a digested compound. The greater concern is that the people who habitually consume aspartame-containing soft drinks, may overstimulate their brains to the point of loss of cognative ability. Even a slight or temporary loss of reasoning or communication skills can have an adverse effect on your well being.

Saying aspartame could cause a significant down-regulation of dopaminergic receptors because it contains phenylalanine is like saying that eating turkey on Thanksgiving will cause a down-regulation of serotonergic receptors because it contains L-tryptophan.
Turkey, an animal protien which contains a complete profile of amino acids including L-tryptophan, must go through many metabolic processes before its tryptophan reaches your brain. Turkey does not contain enough percentage of tryptophan per volume to significantly effect any receptors. Aspartame is only one step from crossing brain blood barries. I personal prefer the turkey high to the aspartame high!

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure on the effects of phenylalanine, but I was referring to the levels of aspartate/aspartic acid. Aspartate is an excitatory amino acid. Too much, and it is an excitotoxin.

TSC

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Turkey, an animal protien which contains a complete profile of amino acids including L-tryptophan, must go through many metabolic processes before its tryptophan reaches your brain.
This is not accurate, and seems to be confusing blood-brain barrier permeability to the directness of metabolism into the neurotransmitter (like comparing apples to oranges).

Tryptophan does have to go through multiple metabolisms to become serotonin. But it does NOT have to be metabolized to cross the blood brain barrier. In fact, tryptophan can and does cross the blood brain barrier directly, as tryptophan.

The exact same is true of phenylalanine. It too has to go through multiple metabolisms to become dopamine (as I discussed in my previous post). And it too can cross the blood brain barrier directly.

Thus, the statement "L-tryptophan, must go through many metabolic processes before its tryptophan reaches your brain" is wrong. It's eaten, it's absorbed, and then the next stop is straight to the dome. It does have to be metabolized to become the active serotonin, but not to cross the BBB. Just like aspartame and phenylalanine. This is an important distinction.

In brief:
Tryptophan* -> 5-HTP -> serotonin
Aspartame -> Phenylalanine* -> Tyrosine* -> Dopa -> Dopamine
*Can cross the BBB at this point.

So in fact, tryptophan both crosses the BBB directly whereas aspartame does not, and tryptophan is only two metabolic steps away from serotonin whereas aspartame is four metabolic steps away from dopamine.

Turkey does not contain enough percentage of tryptophan per volume to significantly effect any receptors.
This is true in the vast majority of people. And neither does Diet Soda (or other foods) contain enough aspartame to significantly affect any receptors in the vast majority of people.

Aspartic acid is an excitotoxin in heroically high doses, and phenylalanine may be too, also in heroically high doses. But caffeine in heroically high doses can easily cause death by way of heart attack, which is about as toxic to every part of the body as it gets. But since nobody drinks 80 cups of coffee within a 4-hour period, it's not an issue. Same applies to aspartame.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
A few other facts worth nothing:

The amounts phenylalanine and aspartic acid from aspartame are small compared to the amounts from other food sources. For example, a glass of milk provides about 6 times more phenylalanine and 13 times more aspartic acid compared to an equivalent amount of diet beverage sweetened 100% with aspartame. (And a serving of tomato juice provides about 6 times more methanol compared to an equivalent amount of diet beverage with aspartame.)

If you're worried about phenylalanine down-regulating dopaminergic receptors then you shouldn't be drinking milk.

A 12 oz can of Diet Cola contains about 200 mg of aspartame. This yields approximately 100 mg of phenylalanine when metabolized. There is NO chance of dopamine receptor down-regulation at this dose, as taking 10x or even 100x as much phenylalanine directly as a supplement results in only a mild increase in dopamine concentrations in the CNS. (Again, because of limiting steps in the metabolism. It's not like pouring gasoline on a fire, where more gas = bigger fire. It's more like using gasoline in a car. If you're out of gas, the car won't run. But having a full tank of gas doesn't makes the car explode or even run faster. You can add 10 gallons of gas to your tank and your car still runs with the same horsepower. This is more-or-less true of phenylalanine in excessive doses. Now amphetamines, that's pouring gas on the fire.)

Phenylalanine in normal amounts is harmful... but only to people with PKU.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
TeamSavage, you seem to pretty well informed.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Layne (str8flexed) and Pogue have written so much stuff proving that aspartame is not going to kill you. You gotta keep in mind that someone also wants to make money by selling you stevia.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I can attest to Aspartame making Iron Warrior fatter. He's a sloppy fun-boy when he goes on a Diet Coke bender. Trust me.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
TeamSavage, you seem to pretty well informed.
Thanks. To be honest I know very little about the science behind bodybuilding and strength training, but I'm trying to learn. But when it comes to the brain, that's my bread and butter. For my job I pretty much spend all day reading clinical research on neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine and the various factors and compounds that affect their activity.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure on the effects of phenylalanine, but I was referring to the levels of aspartate/aspartic acid. Aspartate is an excitatory amino acid. Too much, and it is an excitotoxin.

TSC
I would agree to the extent that excitotoxicity due to aspartic acid is the most plausible potential harm of aspartame. It's clear that in high enough concentrations aspartic acid can be neurotoxic. But I'm still far from convinced. Most of the research has been along the lines of, "Let's inject huge doses of aspartic acid directly into brain of rats and see if s**t gets messed up." Which, of course, it does. But this doesn't really prove anything as far as humans are concerned unless somebody's pinning aspartame straight to the dome.

(That said, I haven't personally read the entire body of clinical research on aspartic acid neurotoxicity, so I might have overlooked something.)

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. To be honest I know very little about the science behind bodybuilding and strength training, but I'm trying to learn. But when it comes to the brain, that's my bread and butter. For my job I pretty much spend all day reading clinical research on neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine and the various factors and compounds that affect their activity.
Well, welcome to AM. I'm sure you will be a good resource for info on nootropics and the likes.

:welcome:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for your posts Savage.
Stick around - you would be an awesome resource!

Reps for you!

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for your posts Savage.
Stick around - you would be an awesome resource!

Reps for you!
and even more reps coming your way;) thanks for sharing some great info:thumbsup:

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
This is not accurate, and seems to be confusing blood-brain barrier permeability to the directness of metabolism into the neurotransmitter (like comparing apples to oranges).

Tryptophan does have to go through multiple metabolisms to become serotonin. But it does NOT have to be metabolized to cross the blood brain barrier. In fact, tryptophan can and does cross the blood brain barrier directly, as tryptophan.
Thank you that was a very concise answer and I appreciate the additional research and imformation. Just to clarify my previous post. I was refering to "turkey protien" and not "L-tryptophan" as regards to "metabolic breakdown"

I agree that certain people would be more sensative then others in respect to overstimulation, so it remains a "concern" for those "specific" people.

Do you think aspartame is "risk free" from a neurological perspective? Not as compared to other sweetners but as compared to not ingesting it at all?

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Thank you that was a very concise answer and I appreciate the additional research and imformation. Just to clarify my previous post. I was refering to "turkey protien" and not "L-tryptophan" as regards to "metabolic breakdown"
OK, that clarifies things a bit. Makes more sense now.

Do you think aspartame is "risk free" from a neurological perspective? Not as compared to other sweetners but as compared to not ingesting it at all?
Hmm... it's difficult to say that anything is "risk free". As the father of modern pharmacology, Paracelsus, said, "All things are poison and nothing is without poison, only the dose permits something not to be poisonous." Basically, the difference between a life-sustaining food/medicine and a poison is all in the dosage. Drink too much water and you'll die of ionic imbalance.

I am convinced that consuming aspartame in moderate doses is very low-risk. This is especially true when you've eaten a meal with at least a little protein earlier in the day, and so the aspartate isn't absorbed completely and immediately but has to compete with other aminos (as it does when found in food).

Now when you're talking about chronic consumption of very large amounts on an empty stomach (soccor moms chugging 24 Diet Cokes per day on their ricecakes-and-carrots diets), it's more of a gray area. The research that I've seen is suggestive of potential risks, but it's far from convincing. (As I said previously, though, I haven't personally read the entire body of clinical research, so I might have overlooked something.)

And as with just about every ingested substance, so much depends upon the metabolism and neurochemistry of the individual. My suspicion is that even in chronic and high doses, aspartame is a low-risk compound for most people, but the aspartic acid could be problematic in some instances.

Basically, what I'm trying to refute is the idea that aspartame is inherently toxic: a poison. "Methanol" and "neurotoxin" sound scary, but the rhetoric misrepresents the facts as far as real-life usage is concerned. To paraphrase Paracelsus, "The dose makes the poison."

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
TeamSavage, would drinking 2 pouches of crystal light per day be considered a high amount of aspartame? its the only thing i use that contains the sweetener and i include whey protein with the mixed drink.

i have noticed a little staleness since drinking so much crystal light but i cant pinpoint when i first started feeling that way. i also got into using nootropic supps at the same time so this may be the culprit. it feels like i have a neuroligical imbalance (possibly seratonin?) of some sort but have yet to take any action. this side effects is very minor but noticeable. right now, im trying to rule out everything that might cause this feeling and cut things out one at a time. any suggestions/recommendations/advice?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
My mom worked for GD Searle's Nutrasweet division many years ago when they were trying to get the product on the market. I won't vouch for the safety of the product, because I really have no idea but it would seem that we'd be seeing bodies in the streets if it were as bad as some claim.

Aspertame was being developed as a treatment for kidney disease. It had no effect but researchers serendipitously discovered it was incredible sweet..like horridly, disgustingly sweet. However, when diluted by about 100%, it has a taste that mimics sugar. In a packet of Nutrasweet, there are perhaps 1-3 grains of actual aspertame, the rest being some kind of non-gi sugar.

IMO, there may be a lot of people with some mild or heretofore unknown form of PKU that develope sides when they consume aspertame. I don't discount the fact that many people have had reactions to it, but I do question this total malarchy being pulled out of some online Dr's butt about the biochemical nature of aspertame and it's metabolites. These people need to pony up for the research if they are going to talk trash of this nature.

Another thing to consider is that when GD Searle was trying to get Nutrasweet on the market, it took many years..at least 10 so it was not rushed on by any means. There was also a lot of resistence from the sugar lobby and they are HUGE if you can imagine the sort of money they have since the whole world sucks down a lot of sugar.

The sugar lobby paid off a couple of quacks to raise hell about aspertame before it ever came to market. They claimed it was toxic as hell, one guy held up a vial of clear liquid on TV and claimed it was a metabolite of aspertame that was a nuerotoxin more powerful that VX gas or some such BS. How could he know that if it hadn't been release and he hadn't done any research?

Just an FYI..there is a BIG industry that would hate to have artificial sweetners cut into their margins. Just as Stevia got shafted by Big Sugar and the Big Sweetners, apsertame has had a campaign against it before it ever came onto market.

That said, I don't necessarily trust any artificial compound, but I do get a lot of sucralose in my protein shakes. Until Stevia gets the proper approval as a sweetner, it's what we are stuck with.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
TeamSavage, would drinking 2 pouches of crystal light per day be considered a high amount of aspartame? its the only thing i use that contains the sweetener and i include whey protein with the mixed drink.
If you're referring to the little "single serving" pouches, then I would say no, this is not a high amount. (Not sure of the exact numbers, but it's probably slightly more than in a 12oz can of diet soda.) This is especially true since you're using it in your protein shake, which means the aspartate (and phenylalanine) will compete with the other aminos for absorbtion and thus will enter the bloodstream more gradually. In fact, I often use Crystal Light in my shakes when I don't want any additional sugar.

i have noticed a little staleness since drinking so much crystal light but i cant pinpoint when i first started feeling that way. i also got into using nootropic supps at the same time so this may be the culprit. it feels like i have a neuroligical imbalance (possibly seratonin?) of some sort but have yet to take any action. this side effects is very minor but noticeable. right now, im trying to rule out everything that might cause this feeling and cut things out one at a time. any suggestions/recommendations/advice?
Unless you have severe symptoms, it can be quite difficult to determine if you have a neurological imbalance, which neurotransmitters are affected, and what compounds or nutrients (if any) might be contributing to it.

What nootropics are you taking? In general, many nootropics will have far more pronounced neurochemical effects than even high doses of aspartame.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
If you're referring to the little "single serving" pouches, then I would say no, this is not a high amount. (Not sure of the exact numbers, but it's probably slightly more than in a 12oz can of diet soda.) This is especially true since you're using it in your protein shake, which means the aspartate (and phenylalanine) will compete with the other aminos for absorbtion and thus will enter the bloodstream more gradually. In fact, I often use Crystal Light in my shakes when I don't want any additional sugar.

Unless you have severe symptoms, it can be quite difficult to determine if you have a neurological imbalance, which neurotransmitters are affected, and what compounds or nutrients (if any) might be contributing to it.

What nootropics are you taking? In general, many nootropics will have far more pronounced neurochemical effects than even high doses of aspartame.
unfortunately, im not talking about single serving packets of crystal light. i meant a full tub that flavors 8 cups i think. i mix my BCAA's and whey with crystal light in a 1/2 gallon container and sip throughout my workout.

yeah, i was leaning towards the nootropics causing this effect. ive been using ALCAR forever, and ive added tyrosine, piracetam, choline, and vinpocetine. my body probably needs a break from these as im sure i caused an imbalance. ive read that you shouldnt come off these completely but should slowly taper doses down. so thats what i plan on doing unless you have different advice. any help would be appreciated.

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
Makes you say "Hmmmmm..."

Science & business - the lines aren't always separate.