According to YellowJackets incredible post...

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.27%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Please highlight the studies of high protein diets and harmful kidney effects in healthy, intensely trained athletes. While I can undertstand Poolman's concern due to his history...I see no problem with jacked up protein levels.
    And hearsay? Amino acids from protein is the only thing that can build muscle.

2. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.01%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

What about your post-workout shake? That itself (for me anyway) has got like 500 calories.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Originally posted by CROWLER
    I wouldn't replace the oil with yams, I would replace it with another fat such as peanut butter.
    Why? That makes no sense. The point is to not combine fat and carbs.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.87%

But a new study also finds no effect on healthy kidneys.

By Kathleen Doheny

WEDNESDAY, March 19 (HealthScoutNews) -- If your kidneys are not healthy, a diet high in protein may speed up the damage to your organs, new research claims.

However, if your kidneys are healthy, eating lots of protein does not seem to hurt them, the study also concludes.

"We now have evidence to suggest that, in individuals with kidney disease there is some reason to suspect a high protein intake could be potentially detrimental," says study author Dr. Eric L. Knight, a researcher at Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. "Based on this study, I would say in individuals with normal kidney function, we have no reason to believe that a relatively high protein intake has a harmful effect on the kidneys."

SOURCES: Eric L. Knight, M.D., M.P.H., physician researcher, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, both in Boston; Susan Roberts, Ph.D., professor, nutrition, Tufts University, Boston; March 18, 2003, Annals of Internal Medicine

This was just a quicky cut-n-paste from a Yahoo! search. The vote seems to be 50/50 on whether or not high protein intake is infact detrimental to people. MOST of the studies are using groups that are not intense weight trainers. So, keep that in mind when forming your own opinion on this.

I, unfortunately, NEED to consume less than most anyone being I have kidney problems. But, through VERY careful attention to my insides, everything is going good at the moment. And if anyone is interested, my kidneys are extremely odd (less than 3% of the world have this). On my right side, there are two complete functioning kidneys. The ureters from each kidney merge into one right before the bladder. On the left side is one large kidney (the size of two but connected to each other), and has two ureters going all the way to the bladder. I'm a freak!
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.36%

Yes and the studies i have seen never go above 225 grams of protein daily which is around what I take in now. I would love to take in around 300 and increase my water but I just cant physically drink 3 gallons of water. I am however thinking of adding a couple myoplex MRP's to my diet giving me an extra 400 calories a piece, it will put me nicely over my maintenance level and hopefully I can add a few quality pounds a week. plus think of this way, is 30 - 45 minutes of intense workout worht eating 300 grams of protein. I cant see how that much workout would call for that many amino acids but then again I dont know how the body truely puts itself together after being damaged like that.
  6. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.27%
    Achievements Posting Pro

All I have to say is the only time I ever drop below 300 grams of protein a day is when I am cutting very hard. And only then to cut calories. Protein is the least likely macronutritient to convert to bodyfat, and the most likely to add more muscle.
  7. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.01%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

The way I always looked at it, to add a pound of muscle (assuming muscle is pure protein, which is not the case - but it helps to visualize) you need 448 grams (28 grams per ounce, 16 ounces in a pound)or protein. Since muscle can only be built from protein, it's intake is an important limiting factor on how fast you can build muscle. You can get rid of extra protein, but too little is just slowing you down unnecessarily.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.36%

true but in that case when do you say enough is enough. If protein cant harm you why not just eat 3500 calories a day in quality protein.
  9. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.01%

But that's just it....what is enough and what is not enough? I'd rather err on the side of too much than too little
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.36%

in your oppinion would you asy 240 grams a day is too little?
  11. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.27%
    Achievements Posting Pro

How much do you weigh...how hard do you lift and how much above maintenance are you? The higher over maintenance the less protein (comparatively) you need simply because excess carbs and fat will protect you from using protein as energy. The reason you don't only eat protein is just that. If you are lacking in carbohydrate and fat as energy sources protein/whether muscle or ingested will be used as energy. However, protein is less efficient as an energy source and if all you eat is protein, you pretty much feel like ass.
  12. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.01%

From what I have read anywhere from 1.2(maintenance) - 1.5(gain) grams per pound of LBM. I think that is barely over, but not enough to worry. Also keep in mind that, other than post workout, the body can only digest so much protein at a sitting. Depending on the source (fast or slow digesting), you need to account for that as well and spread your intake accordingly.
  13. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.01%

Originally posted by Biggs

(or, if you have the green, Lean Mass Matrix is the best choice... though you have to admit, their ad campaign where they say "whole food nutrition is a thing of the past! )

What do they use for carb source, do you know?
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.24%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

good ****. among the very best as far as commercial mrp's anyway: barley, brown rice and hydrolized oat flour
  15. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.24%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

in fact, here is the full ingredient list if you're curious. nicely done stuff

Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Calcium Caseinate, Milk Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate and L-Glutamine), Carbohydrate Blend (Barley, Brown Rice and Hydrolyzed Oat Flour), Sunflower Oil, Cocoa Powder (Dutch Process) Natural and Artificial Flavors, Vitamin Mineral Blend (Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Dipotassium Phosphate, Vitamin E Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Niacinamide, Ferric Orthophosphate, Zinc Oxide, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Gluconate, Manganese Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Chromium Polynicotinate, Phytonadione, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenate, Cholecalciferol and Cyanocobalamin), MCT Oil, Lecithin, Carrageenan, Mono-and Diglicerides and Sucralose
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.87%

LMM is very good stuff. I'd recommend it in a heart beat.
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.36%

Hey guys, just wanna say thanks for all your input. Ive taken all info in and ive decided to boost my pro's just a tad and start takin an MRP along with a couple small details. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond

Similar Forum Threads

1. according to this x-factor should be bad for growth
    By biggun2181 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 08:01 PM
  2. What happened to the New Posts button?
    By Sir Foxx in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-16-2005, 12:27 PM
  3. According to AP, BCAA's are bad...
    By picasso in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-02-2005, 02:40 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 04:38 PM
  5. Steroids-101 (According to Rick Collins)
    By The Answer in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2003, 11:09 PM