And the cutting begins

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
So after 10 weeks of bulking, today is the start of my cutting routine.
I have made some great gains while bulking and huge strength increases, but I want to fight lightweight at the Diamond Nationals (Karate tournament) so I need to cut 10lbs.
Mentally I am not ready at all - I hate being in ketosis but I have to suck it up for the next 8 weeks.
I am going to do a CKD with a carb load every 7 days to help me keep my stamina up during my workouts.
Ok, so nobody talk to me about carbs for the next 2 months - I'm going to be grouchy :)
I'll post a semi-log on here to let you guys know how I am getting on.
KG

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
best of the luck on the cut. First day is always the worst but always gets better (atleast for me)

look forward to seeing your progress

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
hey karategirl, best of luck to you on your cut, I too am on ckd which does occasionally test your dedication... but you gotta love those carb loads!!! :)

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cutting...Iz you craaazy? KG, you look awesome as is but good luck to ya anyways :)

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I'll axe-kick your head off if you fail.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I must have pics! I start cutting in 2 weeks, which will run until November 10th , Ive never cut before so this should be really interesting!

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well, I made it through day 1, which is usually the worst one for me.
Total carbs for the day = 50g of fibrous carbs only (spinach and green beans).
Made it through my 3 hours of training last night with no problems, but I know that I will start to get lethargic as the week goes on.
Currently 17% bf, want to make it down to 15% by the end of this cut.

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
Good luck KG, you'll do great I'm sure. I agree with FnF, it would be great to see some progress pics along the way of your cutting cycle. We start in 2 weeks and it will be my first time as well. I'm gonna go nuts without my heavy carbs :rant:

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the support guys - I will start taking pictures and put them all up at the end of the cut.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the support guys - I will start taking pictures and put them all up at the end of the cut.
Yay! I've always wanted to see the front of that sexy back...but have been waaay to lazy to bother searching!

jerolddaviking

Awards
Good Luck! I just started cutting season as well. Are u using any supplements,etc?

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am taking an ECY stack. 25mg/200mg/4mg twice a day.
Also L-Glutamine to help prevent muscle catabolism.
Multi-vitamin and calcium, thats pretty much it.
I have come off creatine for now, but I may go back on if I struggle through the week.
Last night I really felt lethargic during my training and workout. My muscles gave in a couple of reps earlier than they usually do, and I was not motivated mentally.
I think the brain fog is kicking in.
Only ate 40g fibrous carbs yesterday, so will try and up that today and see if I feel a bit better.
KG

stinkfinger

Awards
I'm not an expert but many don't reccomend the ECY anymore. I was attempting it and several guys discouraged me from using E & Y together. I know of many people on many boards that had good results with it though. Not sure what people here think though. Good luck either way!!!

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Mentally I am not ready at all - I hate being in ketosis but I have to suck it up for the next 8 weeks.
I am going to do a CKD with a carb load every 7 days to help me keep my stamina up during my workouts.
Ok, so nobody talk to me about carbs for the next 2 months - I'm going to be grouchy :)
I'll post a semi-log on here to let you guys know how I am getting on.
KG
Just curious why the CKD? Compared to others, is it the diet that works best for you?

I've tried both keto and 40/40/20 for cutting. Results were comparable with a slight strength advantage with the carbs. However I certainly felt much better with the carbs. I see a lot of people commenting on the difficulties of carb denial and wonder why they put themselves through it...

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am doing CKD because I like the results from it, and I drop "weight" much faster. I know a lot of it is water weight, but as I am trying to make the lightweight category, that is what is important right now.
My normal diet is a 40/40/20 diet, and I love it, I can maintain really well on it, cut on it and bulk on it, just by altering calories, but I can stay bloated with that level of carbs. Normally I don't mind, but seeing that I have to cut anyway, I like the look that the CKD gives me, its more vascular with much more definition.
Plus its nice to know that you have a certain level of self control and will power that the general population could only dream of.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
making weight I feel your pain but i commend you for doing it the right way. I do it the wrong way lol 10lbs i'd cut that in 36 hours.

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I did that last year :)
I swore I would never do it again.

Mess

Awards
  • Established
feel your pain KG, good luck and always remember this : the Best Never Rest .

Cheers

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well I decided that I could not cut the creatine out of my life - so I am back on that.
I feel kind of crappy - just more tired I think.
I am struggling to make it through my workouts, and last night I took a break in the middle of my 40 min cardio session as I just thought I was going to pass out.
I have upped my calories a bit just in case I was not eating enough, and today I feel much better.
I am in ketosis, and now I remember why I hate it so much - the brain fog, the sore muscles....
Tomorrow is carb up!!!:woohoo:
The scales say I have dropped 4lbs since Monday, but I am sure most of that is water weight.
I feel and look slightly leaner, but I think that is a water retention thing too.
I am glad I made it through the first week of carb depletion, it will be nice to have some oatmeal tomorrow and maybe some sweet potato wasabi mash :food:

I will admit that it was a struggle at work this week - we had a pizza and cupcake day!!! Where they supplied unlimited amounts of both for pretty much the whole day. Talk about testing my willpower. Why does hot pizza smell so damn good!
If I can make it through that, I can make it through anything.
KG

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Like Tony Little says in the Geico commercial,
:pizza:

You can do it!

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey baby girl soon Ill be cutting too so we can rant to each other!!!!!! Its my biggest fear as I have never done a full cut, just a lean bulk where I lost 12 pounds of fat, Im afraid I will starve to death and shrivel up like a prune and be eaten by my 2 -9 pound dogs :eek:

Thank god I have hyperdrive to help me through that :woohoo:

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yesterday was carb up day :)
Oatmeal has never tasted so good.
I am trying to stick to 1800 cals a day, and the weight seems to be coming off nicely.
I am keeping my workouts the same and I don't seem to have lost any strength yet - and I am increasing my cardio.
My advice for a good cut is to make sure you eat enough - sounds easy, but its not.
Can't wait to be able to rant with you :)

Mess

Awards
  • Established
KG, are you still carbing up ......!!??

How's it going so far

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am carbing up on the weekends, and by that I am still limiting myself to 100-150g carbs a day.
The weight is coming off, and I feel OK, not great, just OK.
My workouts have been OK too, I can feel that I am sluggish sometimes, and my muscles are sore for much longer than usual after a workout.
I am trying to be creative with my cooking to try and keep myself interested in food, its so easy to get bored and not want to eat.
I will be glad when this is over - thats for sure.
KG

Mess

Awards
  • Established
whats the progress so far in LBs or size, its been almost 2 weeks

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Down 7lbs in two weeks, although I am still putting some of that down to water weight.
Size wise I have lost about an inch from my waist (again may be water retention) although I have not lost any size from my biceps or forarms which is good.
Maintaining my strength which is good, and last nights workout was awesome - I think its because I was carbed up from the weekend!
All going just as I need it to be.
I am probably coming in at about 16% bf right now.
KG

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
Nice progress Karategirl!! you'll be at your goal in no time!