What's the Most important Aspects for Your Weightloss?

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
I've been thinking about this for a little while now and wanted to see what everyone thought, I'm going to think of the most important things and number them in order of importance (#1 most important). ( I've seen and heard the 70/30 split from diet to exercise, but my body responses very well to cardio so that's why)
1.) Eating Clean
2.) Cardio frequency (vary intensity and duration)(Also Change up cardio routine every other week)
3.) Good water intake (2+ gallons)
4.) High Intensity Weight Training
5.) Proper Workout Routine (change it up every month or so)
6.) Nutrients/Supplements - cod liver oil, glucosimine, multi, green tea extract, Caffeine (ampd), Sesamin(powerfull/cissusrx also added)
7.) Eating Often small meals
8.) Specific Calorie intake breakdown for individual (mine 50p/30/20)
9.) and a cheat day every so often to shock your system and to indulge that inner fat kid

The list has evolved and will continue, thanks for you input everyone so far, keep the good stuff coming. I think it's pretty solid now.....:study:

jtt

Awards
Even when losing weight, I keep the weights as heavy as I can for 4-8 reps. This is a must for maintaining strength while losing weight. On a depletion workout, I may go as high as 12 - 14 reps for 1-2 sets per body part as the goal is to "deplete" glycogen not tear down muscle.

I also like MCT as a fat source, especially later in the day. My MCT source is organic coconut oil.

Several small low impact cardio sessions per week is better than a few longer sessions. I respond best to 7 fasted morning sessions and 2 after evening weight (upper body) sessions for a total of 9 sessions per week. Each session is between 20-30 minutes at 60% - 65% targeted HR. I burn about 200 calories at 25 minutes. Assuming 60 - 70% of those calories burned come from fat equates to 1/3 pound fat loss per week. Combine this with the accompanied metabolism boost and I feel the cardio alone is responsible for 1 lb per week of fat loss. Add to this a low carb diet with a 200-400/day calorie deficit (precardio) and you have the recipe for a 1.5/lbs of fat loss per week.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
I've been thinking about this for a little while now and wanted to see what everyone thought, I'm going to think of the most important things and number them in order of importance (#1 most important). ( I've seen and heard the 70/30 split from diet to exercise, but my body responses very well to cardio so that's why)

1.) Consistent Cardio Training (4x a week)
2.) Eating Clean
3.) Good water intake
4.) High Rep Weight Training 3x20 per w/ 30-45 sec imbetween
5.) Proper Workout Routine
6.) Supplements - glutomine,cod liver oil, glucosimine, multi
8.) Control beer intake(big one for me should be higher.)
9.) Caffeine (ampd)
10) MP3 player to keep you pumped even when you brain says stop.
11) Calorie control isn't an issue, after being told that 3000 a day is what I should be eating, I have to eat more just to get close.

This might help some new comers once we get some skinny people in here to adapt the list.:donut:
Diet is number one for sure.

Also, keep weights heavy, reps in the mid range.

By the way, dont waste your money on glutamine.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
Even though I want to keep it cardio cut down the reps, I was doing 3x12 since highschool. I'll have to look up some info and your advice. I only put cardio consistent training was the fact that I made better gains in the last 2 weeks when my training was increased, but I know that I have a lot more to lose just from eating right and often.

thanks some food for thought.

Googled and found this at wikipedia

Usage

Glutamine is a supplement that is used in weightlifting and bodybuilding, as well as by those who suffer for muscular cramps or pain—particularly elderly people. The main use of glutamine within the diet of either groups is as a means of replenishing the body's stores of amino acids that have been used during exercise or everyday activities.

There are still studies which are looking into problems with excessive consumption of glutamine, which thus far have proved inconclusive. However, normal supplementation is healthy mainly because glutamine is supposed to be supplemented after prolonged periods of exercise (for example, a workout or exercise in which amino acids are required for use) and replenishes amino acid stores; this being the main reason glutamine is recommended during fasting or for people who suffer from physical trauma, immune deficiencies, or cancer [citation needed].

makes sense.. still more research to do.

It was the first one on there list for body building supps, the wikipedia article is helpful none the less.

:fool2:
Bodybuilding supplement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
If you take any form of whey, then you are getting plenty of glutamine.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
Nice post. For cardio in the weightloss aspect, would you go low intensity or hiit style?

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Diet is definitely number 1 but don't change your training to super high reps stick with heavy compound movements and force your body to hold onto every ounce of muscle.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
According to popular theory:
* Sets of one to five repetitions primarily develop strength, with less impact on muscle size and none on endurance.
* Sets of six to twelve repetitions develop a balance of strength, muscle size and endurance.
* Sets of thirteen to twenty repetitions develop endurance, with some increases to muscle size and limited impact on strength.[2]
* Sets of more than twenty repetitions are considered to be an aerobic exercise.

i got from wikipedia, I was doing 3 sets of 20 at about 50-60% with 30-45 seconds imbetween sets, I wanted to build a little muscle so I brought it down to 12x3 or four sets. I get my heart beating faster, but I need more downtime imbetween sets.

As for the cardio I'm usually right around 70%, sometimes 60 and some times 85-90%. I have been just setting it to five or six mph's on the treadmill and going on there for 1-3 miles(if there is something good on tv). But when I'm listening to my mp3 player I can go from 3.5mph's all the way to 9mphs.

But in regarding to the hit, it's been a gradual increase in speed and distance. I think it's good to have a big varience in how much you run and how hard, I like basketball and tennis, sometimes your only playing at 50% and sometimes your at 110%, so I like to train the same way as I go with the flow of what's occuring around me. In this aspect I keep my body on it's toes, a somewhat realworld cardio training.

Mess

Awards
  • Established
i'd like to add one thing to all what've been said, your body adapt to the type of training you keep doing thats why you should change the type of cardio every while, i change mine every one week to 10 days,

cheers

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
For me it's cardio then macro break down. Ofcourse most people don't do the amount of cardio I do so diet would often be the most important. But when I am cutting I can do upwards of 2 hours of HARD cardio a day. HARD being sparring, wrestiling, etc and HIIT On the treadmill. So with that much cardio I just need to eat clean and it takes care of itself

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
Defeintly going to start mixing things up a little more for cardio. I have been experimenting with treadmill then eliptical and I like it.

Thanks for all of your responses everyone I think the list is really coming along.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
damn, very nice thread. Love the list.
I'm glad that you like the list, it will be changing as I hit a new plateau every so often. Please anyone else that has any additions or subtractions or changes in importance please post so we can have a good list for people so they don't ask noob type questions or for some to use as a guideline.

Recently I have started increasing amount meals, waking up early to do 2 miles mid intensity treadmill and 2 miles eliptical hiit on an empty stomach. I weighed in at 196 today, we' shall see what the improved diet and early cardio effects are.

Also I will be starting a CissusRX + PowerFull -Stack/Burn3d/Ampd/Elite K/Sesamin. cycle so there will be tons of info on the effects for a first timer.

A log with pics and body specs will be up as soon as the new order comes in.(so you can see my sexy body.... or right......)

I think the combination will be great and I will have a very tone body sooner then later.

:bb:

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
I think buying every new supplement and basing every workout on the latest fad is the best way. :rolleyes:

that comment was served with a warm dish of sarcasm.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
Wow you got my whole routine down to a t.

But i haven't bought every supp out there, still need to try no2.... lol.

Actually i'm changing back to my mon chest tri, wens legs lower back, thur bi uppr back

I keep wanting to get big while doing this cut, god i'm such a noob. So i'm going to tone and build a little bit, but keeping it cardio and losing weight and getting down to a low bf% is what i need to do. 4x 10-12 for most lifts.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Personally waking up and having a big cup of coffee, an ephedrine tablet and some BCAAs.

Then I do cardio a half hour later and my first meal is about 3 hours after I wake up. Give it a try you may be suprised. Works really nice, no hunger because the ephedrine takes care of that.

The BCAAs seem to stave off muscle loss. I can see a differance in a matter of days and in 2 weeks it is amazing. Besides that I love the ephedrine coffee buzz :)

Just a thought

CROWLER

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
oooo very inticing... maybe eph and a red bull in the morning I bet i could run to the moon and back.

Thanks, never really thought of that, that's some good thinking outside of the box.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Besides that I love the ephedrine coffee buzz
:thumbsup:

For me, I did 2 major life changes that resulted in me finally breaking my fat loss plateau:

1.)Started going to bed ~10-11pm so I could get enough sleep and...
2.)...wake up at 6am and hit the gym.

Diet has always been tight, but weights + cardio 4 days a week at night just werent cutting it with my office job. I couldnt break 10% no matter what supplements I took or how hard I tried.

Now Im on a 6 day split, and on 4 of those days I work out 2x per day. (6am and 7pm) 30 minutes of HIIT cardio every morning right after weight training. The fat is literally flying right off.

And Im not taking any supplements right now other than a preworkout stim (ALRI Primed or Neurostim+C), a multi and vitamin C.

BV

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
great post, I wish I could be that strict, I will be when I finally get a job, but right now I wake up late and go to the gym after I wake up. But that sounds like a really good plan once I have employment. I'll see if I can start something better then what I"m doing now and closer to your schedule next week.

Thanks for sharing, please anyone else that fought through a plateau please post what it took for that to happen. I'm guessing it's going to be a trend of a great workout schedule that is consistent with good diet and cardio. But I would like to see it in ur words.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
For me it's diet and exercise, also keeping the thyroid in check.I can eat as clean as i want, if my thyroid meds arent dead on where they are suppossed to be, I gain......

I also find changing the cardio reg all the time, the last 2 weeks i have been doing laps between80-100 laps a day.....now next week back to the treadmill/running......

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
It's funny i've been changing my cardio every other week or so and never really thought about keeping my cardio fresh. Glad I was doing it and you make a good point, i'll make sure the list incorparates that.

I'll also do some research on thyroid health as my father had tons of problems with that back in the day. I used to get inlarged ones, but since my diet and good exercise are in place I haven't had any problems that have been noticable. What do you take for you thyroid is it perscript or just orderd online? I really should do a search, but i'm a guy if's it's not broke don't fix it.

Jeffrw

Jeffrw

Awards
I am going to say that being in the right state of mind is the most important factor in weight loss.

I know in the past a big hump for me to get over was paranoia of getting too small or losing too much muscle. That paranoia would lead to me cutting my cut short or eating too much.

You have to accept that a) you will lose some muscle and b) you will be smaller than you were before. And the best: c) You will look or appear bigger after you've lost some fat even if "technically" you weigh less and even lost a bit of muscle. Lower body fat will make you look more muscular.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Great points JeffrW, that was a mental barrier that took me a long time to get past. The 'Fear of Smallness'.

BV

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
I am going to say that being in the right state of mind is the most important factor in weight loss.

I know in the past a big hump for me to get over was paranoia of getting too small or losing too much muscle. That paranoia would lead to me cutting my cut short or eating too much.
Amen to that biatches. I still do that occasionally... "I'm looking rather small today. I'm going to pig out on a chinese buffet to preserve muscle". My brain rationalizes reasons I should binge eat even before I have time to think them through by reason of me getting smaller. This usually leads to me stalling out at some point.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
lol The chinese buffet to maintain muscle? Damn, I wish that you'd never said that! j/k That sounds about like me to some extent.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
Ditto I just went on sunday, checked the scale too, it was bad. 198...... I just had to show the place off to a good friend. And when I go I mostly eat sushi and crab legs maybe some crayfish. But I stay away from the fried stuff for the most part.

It's ok I just had a crazy double session today. 2 miles on treadmill and 10 on cycle, then went back later after a good breakfest and work legs, bi, tri, chest as I'm going on vaca and know i wont' see any weights till friday.

I don't have the little thing in my head that says I don't wanta get small, i just have a really big fat kid in my head that gets a hold of me once in a while, but that's ok.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Yeah man, you'll get there. I let myself get up to 31% bodyfat once upon a time... Well, it wasn't all that long ago. As of Jan 10, 2006 I was 228lbs. @ 31% bodyfat. Today, I'm 184.5lbs. @ 7.5% bodyfat. So, it can happen pretty quick. Just train hard, eat right, and stay focused! It sounds like you're on the right path already.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
thanks a lot guys, defiently have the tools, and the know how, just need the discipline to follow through with the diet. My workout schedule is pretty solid now, and i'm going on a regular basis and at least 3 times a week i'm doing a good hour of empty stomach cardio. Just need to plan out my meals, and make a list of things to eat that I can prepare in advance.

Thanks again guys, I know it'll melt off like it was when my diet was really good and my exercise was ok. Can't wait till my diet and exercise's are both really good.

darkpoet3113

Awards

You have to accept that a) you will lose some muscle and b) you will be smaller than you were before. And the best: c) You will look or appear bigger after you've lost some fat even if "technically" you weigh less and even lost a bit of muscle. Lower body fat will make you look more muscular.
i agreed with jeff here, still my biggest fear... when cutting... after all my years of training.. i'm still trying to accept this... i'm cutting now... i'm doing 20 minutes of low intensity cardio after my weights.. and on off days, i'm doing hiits twice a week...
cheers,
darkpoet3113

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Heh, I'm gettin' up at 4am and runnin' for 30 minutes, and then I'm running for another 30 minutes after my workout, five times a week. And I'm still growing! lol That's all while taking in 2300 calories with low carbs (150g or so). I carb up once a week (about 500g) on Saturday. Thank goodness for righteous supplementation ;). lol

HairyLarry35

Awards
Really inspiring thread!! I'm glad that I just started my morning routine. I haven't really tried HIIT in the morning... I have no idea if I am in any kind of sprinting shape anymore. But, I'm going to give it a shot after my Tris/Back workout tomorrow!!

By the way Clark, that weigh loss and dedication is amazing! Obviously you can't get the first without the last. Congrats, man. Keep it up.

Innings Eater

Innings Eater

Awards
Mindset is by far THE most important aspect of my weightloss successes. And for something a bit off subject, HIIT training seemed right on @ 5:30 am during offseason training back in college, but now I feel quite goofy sprinting and such past 30 years old. Just a thought.....I sound like an elephant when I stride or even sprint on a treadmill.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
i make a ton of noise on the treadmill espicially 7mph and up, but i have my headphones on so i could give a sh!t.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
1.) Eating Clean
2.) Cardio frequency (vary intensity and duration)(Also Change up cardio routine every other week)
3.) Good water intake (2+ gallons)
4.) High Intensity Weight Training 4x10
5.) Proper Workout Routine
6.) Nutrients/Supplements - cod liver oil, glucosimine, multi, green tea extract, Caffeine (ampd), Sesamin(powerfull/cissusrx also added)
8.) Specific Calorie intake breakdown for individual (mine 50p/30/20)
9.) and a cheat day every so often to shock your system and to indulge that inner fat kid
:

I'm gonna drop some jaws and put diet as #3. 1 and 2 are a tie between Planning and willpower.

1. Planning: Some people go on crash diets and fad diets, lose weight, and gain it all back when the diet is over. When you create a change in your lifestyle, your body will react to it (in this case by losing weight) to a certain set point. Finding where your desired set point is and planning out how to maintain it are key to losing weight and keeping it off.

2. Willpower: Straight up, it is a whole hell of a lot easier to drink beer and eat ice cream all day.

3. Clean Diet: Your body reacts differently to different foods and macronutrient breakdowns. If you daily kcal requirement is 3000, hot dogs and hershey bars will unfortunately not suffice.

4. Meal Frequency: Your metabolism is like a fire, a few logs while it's burning works a lot better than trying to rekindle every day.

5. Hydration: It helps your body function properly, doesn't have any 'empty' calories, and flushes out catabolic wastes.

6. Exercise: Higher intensity burns more fat the lower intensities, but lower intensities are better than no exercise at all. This one is so low on the list because it's possible to lose weight with a sedentary lifestyle, but who wants to sit on their ass all day?

7. Supplements: In this day and age are overused and abused, thus filling the final spot on my countdown. Much like fad diets, there are drugs and supplements out there that are causing the obese to lose weight with no change in lifestyle whatsoever. If you think such supplements are a good idea, I challenge you to eat double bacon greaseburgers until you have a heart attack. The sole purpose of supplements are to make up for nutrients which are lacking in the diet. Some good ones to take for weightloss would be Lipoic Acid, Lecithin, EFA's, Green Tea, and vitamins.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
great post, some good points made, I always thought low intensity workout was better for fat burning, and high intensity for conditioning.

I think that most people on here are going to stay away from fad diets and programs. You really have no excuse to not become very familiar with nutrients and metabolism workings if your on this site esp this section a few times a week.

The willpower thing is true, but i myself still enjoy a couple of beers every other night or so, yeah it's stupid but i'm with friends or other people so I justify it in that way.

supps are a big part in my workout, as the green tea, the joint and cartiledge conditioners, and the natural test boosters. I wouldn't be making the gains I have been, I wouldn't be able to go the frequency I do, and I wouldn't have the energy without it.

Even if i see things a little different, i will update the list to incorporate some of your points.

good post

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
great post, some good points made, I always thought low intensity workout was better for fat burning, and high intensity for conditioning.
I guess that might have been a little misleading. When refering to high intesity, I was refering to high intensity anaerobic exercises either with the weights or as a HIIT routine. I believe you are thinking of aerobic exercise, in which case lower intensity more fat calories than higher intensities.

my bad

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
i gotcha thanks,

kam

I was just reading iron man magazine, and they were talking about taking shorter breaks imbetween sets start at 30 seconds and work your way down to 15ish, had a good workout partner and enjoyed it, got my heart pumping really good throughout the workout, i think from now on i'm going to jump from set to set quicker and quicker.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i gotcha thanks,

kam

I was just reading iron man magazine, and they were talking about taking shorter breaks imbetween sets start at 30 seconds and work your way down to 15ish, had a good workout partner and enjoyed it, got my heart pumping really good throughout the workout, i think from now on i'm going to jump from set to set quicker and quicker.

That's what I'm talking about. Upping the intensity.

If you really want to crank things up, try my favorite:

multi-drop sets on deadlifts

I don't it's possible to gross more calories in a shorter period of time.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Well, you could cover yourself with honey and hop into a cage with a bunch of bears. I'd imagine you'd burn some calories that way.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
how did your experience go with it, burn about 3000 calories? I hope the bear was gentle.

You don't like high intensity workouts or you have a good reason not to like them?

what time do you wait imbetween sets?

It just felt good to keep up the intensity the whole workout for the first time i tried it. Might keep it up, i didn't even think i need to do any post weight training cardio.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
I love high intensity workouts. I think that it's the way to go. What's the point in going to a gym if you're gonna relax? I don't see one. I rest 45-60 seconds between sets. In my humble opinion, two minutes is entirely too long to rest. I don't want to be 100% for my next set. The second set should be harder than the first, the third harder than the second, etc. Makes ya strong. As far as doing cardio post workout goes, if you're trying to lose weight, or trying to maintain a lean look, it's a good idea to get some in. You don't necessarily have to do it everyday, and unless you're nuts like me and spend hundreds of dollars a month on your supplementation, I wouldn't really recommend it. However, 20-30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week post-workout is good. 30 minutes in the mornings pre-breakfast is better.

In closing, the higher the intensity the better. There's no such thing as overtraining... just undereating. Make sure that you get your 7-9 hours of sleep in a night. Don't go over 60 seconds between sets. And, for the love of Pete, get some cardio in! Happy lifting.

NDjets78

Awards
Carb cycling is a good way to keep your metabolsim from adjusting to any specific diet.

Also, like CROWLER said, if doing cardio on a empty stomach make sure to take BCAAs to prevent muscle breakdown.

Jeffrw

Jeffrw

Awards
I love high intensity workouts. I think that it's the way to go. What's the point in going to a gym if you're gonna relax? I don't see one. I rest 45-60 seconds between sets. In my humble opinion, two minutes is entirely too long to rest. I don't want to be 100% for my next set. The second set should be harder than the first, the third harder than the second, etc. Makes ya strong. As far as doing cardio post workout goes, if you're trying to lose weight, or trying to maintain a lean look, it's a good idea to get some in. You don't necessarily have to do it everyday, and unless you're nuts like me and spend hundreds of dollars a month on your supplementation, I wouldn't really recommend it. However, 20-30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week post-workout is good. 30 minutes in the mornings pre-breakfast is better.

In closing, the higher the intensity the better. There's no such thing as overtraining... just undereating. Make sure that you get your 7-9 hours of sleep in a night. Don't go over 60 seconds between sets. And, for the love of Pete, get some cardio in! Happy lifting.
I agree with most of that...but overtraining is real. You go high intesity constantly and you will hit a wall eventually.