pre and during workout questions

aeoliantru

Awards
I'm a second shifter so I work out in the morning.  I usually just wake up and go without eating anything.  Should I ingest something right before I go?  I also wonder if sipping on a carb rich drink during my workout would hamper the effect of the postworkout carb induced insulin spike?  

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
I believe in cardio on an empty stomach, but not weight training. If you can, get some oatmeal or bran flakes in you, these are simple to prepare and will make your workouts more energetic. As far as sipping a shake during your workout, it all depends on how long you workout, the typical workout is between 45 minutes and 1 hour, I say get in do what you've got to do and get out, then worry about a shake post workout. If you workout for a long time for whatever reason, be careful in taking in a lot of simple sugar, although your body will use most of it to replenish its glycogen stores, too much will be left to store on the ol adipose tissue. So a during workout shake should consist of a whey protein with moderate carbs, a carb blend would due very well in this situation.

aeoliantru

Awards
My workouts are usually 45 minutes at the max.  Some days I get light headed and really weak, usually when I'm doing squats or deadlifts. I figure this is due to low blood sugar.  Most of the time I am fine on an empty stomach.  I never do cardio.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
The light headedness can be attributed to many things, but certainly glycogen depletion is one....and I dont know about you, but when Im doing squats, I dont need/want to be light headed. You need some type of carb up before working out, I suggest oatmeal or bran flakes an hour prior to your workout and a candy bar or 2 right before you work out.

curt2go

Homebrew Help, Inc.
Awards
  • Established
Some peopple may not like this BUT. I can eat solid food when I wake up. All I can do is suck down a shake. This is what i suggest you do. You have to have some nutrition in you for working out... HAVE TO.... SO I would suggest getting a high carb protein or wieght gainer or MRP and suck one back before you leave. jUst guzzle it and go. I have been doing that for 4 years. Works good for me... Hope that helps.. Talk to ya

Judo Tom

Awards
how long do you wait between your am shake and your am workout.. what would be the best amount of time to wait if i was going to take in some nlarge...

thanks

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
also workout in the morning but i cant imagine myself heading to the gym without eating breakfast before. its a routine now...1 mrp, 1-2 wheat toast w/ pb, 1/3 cup oatmeal w/ pb, 1/2 a protein/energy bar. then head off to the gym 30 minutes later. i would probably die if i went on an empty stomach.

Kay

Awards
theoretically ---

2hrs prior to workout = Full meal / MRP
Baked Potato, chicken breast, greens

Have your multi's, trib, ECA etc 1 hour prior

30 mins prior to workout : 20 whey 20g carbs

During workout : Gatorade, cytovol
Avoid a candy bar, coz although it will give you a burst of energy, ti will also spike your insuling, and you will crash about 30 mins after eating it.

Immidiately post workout: 25g whey (Peptides: both long and short), hydrolyzed whey protein is awesome, + 100g simple carbs (gatorade, dextrose?)

1 hour after workout: MRP 1:2 protein:carbs

2-2.5 hours workout: Full meal

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
According to who? I have yet to realize why people ingest whey before a work out, still amazes me....

take your weigth, divide it by 2 and thats how many carbs you need 1 hour before your workout.

Kay

Awards
sorry -- forgot jsut tired,
this info is the latest nutrition research that has come out, that i was reading in the medical journal of ex phys.

plus was talking to one of the nutrition profs at the uni, and this seems to pack on a lot of weight. Reason you injest protein before workout is cause cortison is released about 30-40 mins after initiation of intense exercise, and most people exercise longer.
So ingesting whey prevest the catabolic effects of cortisol.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Well cortisol is highly over rated in my opinion, people act like it will tear down complete muscle structures, having enough carbs in your muscle belly delays it a bit and only if your train for 90 or more minutes does it become a concern.

Kay

Awards
Well cortisol is highly over rated in my opinion, people act like it will tear down complete muscle structures, having enough carbs in your muscle belly delays it a bit and only if your train for 90 or more minutes does it become a concern.
you are right there, you do need some cortisol, coz in order for body to rebuild using anabolic hormones, it must experience some breakdown, so cortisol is beneficial in that sense, but you don't want too much of it.
The thing is, you want to eliminate any faults in your nutrition if you are dedicated to training hard, and with these general guidelines, it really helps you do that, because there is still a lot of confusion on what/how/when to eat aruond your workout.
I have seen people actually eat between workouts, eat nothing before, and eat too much after. Its just a guideline...

Plus, most of the stuff i cite comes from medical refereed journals and not magazines, so its pretty reliable. I mean a couple of people that train at the gym i work at have used this, and they usually report slightly better gains, and when we want every little muscle mass we can gain, it all adds up! :)

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
I couldnt agree more.....

But I refuse to drink a whey shale pre-workout, besides the fact it makes me sick from its fast digestion....i just dont think its necessary, but to each his own

Kay

Awards
yeah i mean pros and cons are there, some poeple just feel bloated. It also makes for some nasty gas emmissions

Rhinoman

Awards
Originally posted by aeoliantru
I'm a second shifter so I work out in the morning.  I usually just wake up and go without eating anything.  Should I ingest something right before I go?  I also wonder if sipping on a carb rich drink during my workout would hamper the effect of the postworkout carb induced insulin spike?  

As you know breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and you body is already fasting for at least 8 hours, if you go work out without putting food in your body, were you think the body is going to get energy, from your muscle, So I would wake up early as possible to have breakfast and go train after usually an hour after breakfast.  I was a second shift one time that work for me.

I will eat 10 eggwhites one spoon of peanut butter and toast(whole wheat) , that is just me, I train like an Animal! Good feedback everyone!

Judo Tom

Awards
I couldnt agree more.....

But I refuse to drink a whey shale pre-workout, besides the fact it makes me sick from its fast digestion....i just dont think its necessary, but to each his own
I read once that drinkin a whey shake before working out "tricks" your body into thinkin you have broken down more muscle then you really have... and then you build more muscle because of it..

sounds a little strange..sorry this isss wayy to short..

crazypete

Awards
howdy, judo tom, i have not heard such a thing and i can't figure out how such a thing could be true.

however, i have heard of the pre workout whey shake - about 20 grams of whey 30 min before. this comes from a study done by tipton i think at some university in texas. he is one of the leading researchers in the protein field. the study actually contained a mix of essential amino acids not whey. Dr. Jose Antonio who is a well known researcher of ergogenic supplements has postulated that a scoop of whey may give the same benefit. a later study showed that whey consumed before a workout was actually more beneficial for stopping protein breakdown in the muscle than if consumed after the workout.

as for blunting cortisol release during a workout, try sipping on some gatorade, the sugars in it will slow cortisol release and sometimes i get a much needed boost from it near the end of my workout. i still follow normal post workout feeding of fast acting carbs and whey along with flax oil and creatine asap.

YJ i disagree with you on the cortisol. for those not using prohormones or steroids or users off cycle, the effects of cortisol can be detrimental. like you said one would not likely lose whole muscle structures (i assume you mean people who eat normal), although this can happen in extreme cases, but the repair of muscle tissue can be delayed missing the post workout window during which muscle cells easily supercompensate leading to less than optimal gains.

cheers, pete