Question on Cutting. (First time cutting)

jjm

jjm

Awards
Hey guys. This is my first cut so I had a couple questions.

To start off I am 6' 173 @ 14.2%. I've been off creatine for over a month and been doing cardio 4 days a week for about 2 weeks now. I used to be 180lbs before I started the cardio. Cardio consists of 25-30mins of running on the treadmill.

I've noticed a little bit more definition in areas, but I wanted to know about how long will it take to be around 10-11%? Is the cutting phase just a gradual stage of weightloss, or will there be times where I really shed some lbs, or don't shed much at all?

Just incase, I will post up my diet as well.
9:00 - bowl of frosted mini wheats and 3-4 egg whites.
11:00 - chicken or turkey sandwich on whole wheat roll and brown rice
1:00 - banana and protein shake
2:00 - work out
4:00 - protein shake with oats
6:00 - chicken breast or steak or lean burgers (93/7) and brown rice
8:00 - packet of tuna
10:00 - protein shake

Thanks!

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
It's definitely not a fast process, it will all depend on how aggressive, and how much muscle your willing to part with. I am cutting (current log below) I'm 2 months into it and am planning on 8 more months, about 1-1.5%BF a month. I think your diet could use some work if you really want to get serious about it. How does the macros come out with this menu?

Anyway there is a lot of good diet info on this site and other places on the net, I would start researching different approaches and start experimenting to find out what works best for you and more importantly a diet you can live with and stay consistent on!

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
get on fitday.com so you can check your macro breakdown and to get to 11% if you keep cardio and diet in check i'd say probablly about 3 months maybe less if you get more agressive with the cardio

rafter

Awards
Hey guys. This is my first cut so I had a couple questions.

To start off I am 6' 173 @ 14.2%. I've been off creatine for over a month and been doing cardio 4 days a week for about 2 weeks now. I used to be 180lbs before I started the cardio. Cardio consists of 25-30mins of running on the treadmill.

I've noticed a little bit more definition in areas, but I wanted to know about how long will it take to be around 10-11%? Is the cutting phase just a gradual stage of weightloss, or will there be times where I really shed some lbs, or don't shed much at all?

Just incase, I will post up my diet as well.
9:00 - bowl of frosted mini wheats and 3-4 egg whites.
11:00 - chicken or turkey sandwich on whole wheat roll and brown rice
1:00 - banana and protein shake
6:00 - chicken breast or steak or lean burgers (93/7) and brown rice
8:00 - packet of tuna

Thanks!
On average, you should not be losing more than 4 lbs a week. You will probably spike the first week and lose something like 6 but then you will drop off to around 3 or 4 lbs.

As for your diet, there are some better choices out there.

**Mods to your diet.**
9:00 - 1/2 to 1 c of oatmeal/quick oats and 4-5 egg whites w/ 1 yolk
11:00 - chicken or turkey sandwich, brown rice, 1/2 c green beans/peas
1:00 - med size apple and protein shake
big gap in here. not sure if you are working out for 2 hrs??
6:00 - chicken breast or steak or lean burgers (93/7) and brown rice (add veggie here like above)
8:00 - packet of tuna and flax seed oil/almonds

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
what kind of protein shake are you taking at night? If it's the same as what you're taking pre and post workout, I'd recommend replacing it with fat-free cottage cheese.

For cardio, I'm hoping you're training HIIT-style. 25-30 mins at a steady running pace will only make it harder and harder to continue to lose weight.

rafter

Awards
what kind of protein shake are you taking at night? If it's the same as what you're taking pre and post workout, I'd recommend replacing it with fat-free cottage cheese.

For cardio, I'm hoping you're training HIIT-style. 25-30 mins at a steady running pace will only make it harder and harder to continue to lose weight.
forgot about the night protein. good catch.

FLgator

Awards
How many total protien and total carbs are you getting? Follow rafters advice, you'll see better results.

jjm

jjm

Awards
I don't count calories and all that so I'm not sure what I'm getting. I gotta be getting around 200g of protein though.

As for my cardio I'm doing a steady running pace and I have to stop and walk sometimes. I just started running, and before that I haven't ran since high school.

My shins really bother me when I run so I'm thinking I won't do to well at HIIT, but I'm gonna give it a shot anyway.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Would you please explain the reasoning behind this statement?

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
Distance running lowers your resting metabolism.

Where do you get that from?

"Individuals with high running performance (cumulative distance and running time) had high resting metabolism, which suggests a cost of having high capacity or propensity for activity.

Entrez PubMed

Either way...my suggestion would be to alternate..I'd say most of your cardio should be around 65% MAX HR...then throw in a day or 2 of HIT cardio...use the eliptical if your shins hurt. I am in the same boat so that's what I do. Jumping rope is good also

h19

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

"Individuals with high running performance (cumulative distance and running time) had high resting metabolism, which suggests a cost of having high capacity or propensity for activity.

Entrez PubMed

Either way...my suggestion would be to alternate..I'd say most of your cardio should be around 65% MAX HR...then throw in a day or 2 of HIT cardio...use the eliptical if your shins hurt. I am in the same boat so that's what I do. Jumping rope is good also

h19

Perhaps it's a myth, but that's just what I've always heard.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
Distance running lowers your resting metabolism.
Thanks Hamper19 for addressing this, I almost choked on my egg whites, that doesn't even make sense. Turn on OLN and watch a stage of the TDF and know that those boys are eating 10-15000 cals a day. Not alot of HIIT training going on out there, HIIT definitely has it's place and is an excellent way to get short intense workouts in, but it's best combined with other types of training.

ZoMbSta

Awards

Entrez PubMed

h19

wats a eliptical??....i do get shin splints if i run too much too...

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
wats a eliptical??....i do get shin splints if i run too much too...
Takin from Bodybuilding Forum-Supplement Reviews, Nutritional Supplements-AnabolicMinds
What are ellipticals?

Elliptical machines are a slight variation from the cross country machines made popular in the 1980s. They are available for residential or fitness club use, replacing treadmills, cross-country ski machines, rowing machines and steppers. OrbiTrek TM and other manufacturers claim the machines offer a total body workout in 20 to 30 minutes.

In fact, personal trainer Vicki Pearson reports that studies from the University of Wisconsin and the University of Mississippi lend credibility to the effectiveness of the elliptical trainer, saying, "The machines appear to provide a safe, low-impact, aerobic workout."

Elliptical machines deliver various combinations of workouts. Most models simulate walking, stepping, cycling and skiing using an elliptical motion with low or no impact. However, the term "elliptical machine" is broad and general. Not all machines are cross trainers, and not all offer a full-body workout. While manufacturers may claim that ellipticals can replace other machines, fitness experts recommend ellipticals as an addition to your existing program.

Elliptical machines are ideal for people who want a low-impact indoor exercise, who want to vary their program, who are getting bored with their usual routine, who want a cardiovascular and full-body workout simultaneously, and who want to burn lots of calories in the shortest amount of time.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established

If you don't care too much for cottage cheese like myself, get yourslef some Caseinate.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
the eliptical machines most gyms have I would say are the "Precor" brand..i was going to say "use the precor"..but anyway. I personlly like that for my HIT cardio and pretty much any type of cardio. Running on a treadmill just gives me shin splints and cramps the hell out of my calves no matter what I do.

If you don't have access to a precor or something, I suggest going to a REAL running store and pick up a good pair of shoes. They can actually watch you run/walk on a treadmill and determine if you over pronate under pronate etc and give you the correct shoe for your type....

The movement is called "runners gait"..which is basically all the stuff your feet do while running...from support..cushioning and balancing your body...if anything it out of whack it would cause shin splints....

h19

ZoMbSta

Awards
hmmm..if u guys get shin splints too...y not try swimming??...definitely no impact...so its wont hurt ur calves...and i think it burns more cals than HIT training if done HIT style rite?

Innings Eater

Innings Eater

Awards
hmmm..if u guys get shin splints too...y not try swimming??...definitely no impact...so its wont hurt ur calves...and i think it burns more cals than HIT training if done HIT style rite?
True.....but fewer Kcals are burned since it's not a weight-bearing exercise, and most who are new to swimming don't have enough "swimming fitness" to last very long to be effective if attempted HIIT style.

On the positive side, though, most non-swimmers have pretty poor technique which will have them expend a lot of energy to make it from one wall to the other. Oh yeah, my shoulders look good when I've been training in the pool consistently.:type: