running 3 miles after workout, should i take protein before run?

1. Kam
    Answers

Wink running 3 miles after workout, should i take protein before run?

yeah I know it sounds a little ridiculous but i'm going to try to get up to at least 5 miles post workout (3 times a week) and see if I can run a marathon with a friend in a couple months. My question is should I bring some protein powder with me and drink that before running or during running? I know i don't want a full stomach of water but i'm drinkin water the whole time anyways while i work out, so maybe i'll just drink protein water during my workout, so i'm not afraid of muscle loss during my run.

Thanks guys

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

The ones I know eat carbs before and during(like bars) and protein after.

For marathons you'll need quick energy supplies
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Im assuming this is not for any type of fat loss so yes you should definitely eat something before running after lifting (especially when you want to gain muscle.) Personally I wouldnt want to do any cardio for endurence training after lifting but on totally seperate days from lifting.

If I were in this position I would take in atleast a protein shake and some slow digesting carbs (maybe do half a protein shake and half a bagel or like1/2 a cup of oats) and eat this before so you dont get too full and then post run finish off the other half.

EDIT** I just realized this was in the fat loss forum, but I still assume this is for just the marathon and you still want muscle correct? Just going by your other thread.
    •   

4. Kam
    Answers

I want muscle, but I need to cut before I worry about putting on any muscle. It's mostly for weight loss, but also would love to be able to compete in a marathon. Good advice guys, I might just split the two up everyday, as I was looking for a reason to go twice a day.

Edit" maybe do a day on day off, and split up my weight training. I'm taking a pre and a post workout, i've only really ran once on an empty stomach, i might keep doing that as to speed up the weight loss process a little bit. I've read the thread with a million views on eating or not eating before the run. Might just have to see what I can do. I need to spend more time in the exercise section, I know my nutrition but still lost in finding a good routine.

Thanks for your comments guys, please rip into me as I need to know.

Kam
  5. Registered User
    Answers

if you possibly can split them up, sometimes i have to do them together and i do slam a shake before but i will be paying for it during the run (burping, stomach aches, etc.) do what you have to do but if you have the choice drink the shake before.
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Just to add my two cents to the pot, I use to do a lot of running before i made the decission to concentrate on packing on the beef.

For me, I wasn't able to have any food or liquids in my stomache before I ran. I would have to wait at least 3 hrs for a solid meal, and at least an hour for any liquids.

As far as your goal to run a marathon, good luck to you. Its a heck of an accomplishment to complete one,let alone the amount of time you need to dedicate to training for one.

I think you should concentrate on training for the marathon and then once you have accomplished that, focus on the weights. I dont know what your daily schedule is, but trying to do both will be very challenging, especially when you get closer to the marathon and you are routinely doing dailey 10 milers.

As far as nutrition during the run, when I wass running for any kind of distance, i was ok with just water during the run for anything less than 90 minutes. Once I went past the 90 minute mark, I always had some gatorade or some other kind of carb supplement stashed someplace to "refuel" during the run.

Good luck to you.
  7. Kam
    Answers

thanks guys good advice, I went to the gym today with only running the thing to do, but I just couldn't stay away from the weights. I'll try to get a rythm and figure out what I wanta do, but I can't give up the weights, I'll probably do a monday wensday friday weights and a mile after each as I have been doing, and on off days just go for 3-5 miles. I'm pretty sure I missed the cut for the marathon in a couple of months. I want my weight loss to be gradual, so I might just have to jump on the next one.

Now i just need to figure out how to take my morning supps on a n empty stomach, as i know that will make things quiet interesting and painful. I'm just having a small serving of a protein shake to take with my pills at the moment. I love this game, you think you know what your doing and then you realize u don't know ****.
  8. rollin' on dubs!
    Stats
    5'9"  178 lbs.
    Answers

i always do my cardio after resistance training. my current protocol includes a during workout shake consisting of 20g BCAA's, 10g glutamine, and 1 scoop of whey isolate. i eat about 1.5-2 hours before hitting weights and start sipping my drink after the first few sets. ill finish shake then do my cardio which last 25-35 minutes. i then eat my next meal within 1 hour (usually 30 minutes after) upon completion.

*note-im doing this for my contest prep and have not yet noticed any muscle wasting but your diet as a whole is just as important. marathon running is more of a performance sport though so i would recommend some type of CHO before and after cardio unless cutting weight/bodyfat is your main priority. you mention both in your posts but i think its a physique vs performance decision.
  9. Kam
    Answers

thanks that's good advice, I was always thinking about haven a during workout shake. I"m going to go for physique and cut down and then I can really worry about performance once I'm down and to a good weight and bf%.
  10. Gold Member
    Answers

Hey man, hit me up if you're down here and you need a workout partner. How you doing up there?
  11. Kam
    Answers

I'm coming down tomorrow to finish moving the place out (thur), it would be sweet if we could get a couple sets in. I'm doing good up here, eating clean and hitting the gym 4 times a week. Just wipped out a good two weeks of work with drinking 100+ beers in the last 4 days though. But I cut down to 203 pds so I'm making ground.

Life is good hear single and searchn. What about u, i'll call you when we start getting in town.

Kam
  12. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    yeah I know it sounds a little ridiculous but i'm going to try to get up to at least 5 miles post workout (3 times a week) and see if I can run a marathon with a friend in a couple months. My question is should I bring some protein powder with me and drink that before running or during running? I know i don't want a full stomach of water but i'm drinkin water the whole time anyways while i work out, so maybe i'll just drink protein water during my workout, so i'm not afraid of muscle loss during my run.

Thanks guys
    Ditch the idea of running a marathon if you plan on putting in 15 miles a week. Proper training for a marathon is 6+ weeks of 40+ miles. I run 30-35 miles a week and my race is the 5k. I forget where I saw this study but after finishing a marathon people got their enzyme levels tested and those who didnt train properly had the same levels of enzymes released by their heart as someone who just suffered a heart attack. It also took some extraordinarily long time for their pulse to return to normal (like a week or something).
  13. Kam
    Answers

marathon is really out of the question for a while until i get down to the single digits bf. That's some really good information, thank you.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 08:45 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 12:34 PM
  3. running epi after getting a little gyno for lat run?
    By hardtohitme7 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2009, 01:12 PM
  4. What should I take for protein and creatine???
    By sbrb12898 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 11:30 AM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 01:46 PM