Need help determining BMR

massmonster

Awards
  • Established
Ok so I've looked around a bit and found a few calculators. I dont like most of them because it requires to estimate activity level.

Here are my stats: 6'1" 257.5lbs @ ~25% bf. I'm taking in, on average 3400 calories daily with a 38/29/33 (P/C/F) breakdown. I feel like I need to work down to about 2700 ED to start cutting hard, but have a nagging feeling I may be under eating already.

Current schedule allows weights 3 days, cardio 2 days, and league softball 2 days every week.

I've got a cruise coming up the last week of July and I'm losing my mind because I've not made much progress since APRIL!!!!

:wtf: am I doing wrong???

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Basal Metabolic Rate

You expend energy no matter what you're doing, even when sleeping. Thus your Basal Metabolic Rate is the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day - a tempting idea for some. If you've noticed that every year, it becomes harder to eat whatever you want and stay slim, you've also learned that your Basal Metabolic Rate decreases as you age. Likewise, depriving yourself of food in hopes of losing weight also decreases your BMR, a foil to your intentions. However, a regular routine of cardiovascular exercise can increase your BMR, improving your health and fitness when your body's ability to burn energy gradually slows down.

Discovery Health :: Calculators :: Basal Metabolic Rate
Jacked this from yeahrights thread "Basal metabolic rate" apparently your BMR is 2419.6

Discovery Health :: Calculators :: Basal Metabolic Rate

massmonster

Awards
  • Established
oK, cool. Fitday had me at 2424 BMR and 4000 with activities. Does this sound reasonable? That would mean I've been eating on average -600cals daily for the last 10 weeks. That deficit should have lost me 12lbs. I've only lost ~4lbs. in that time.

Oh well, enought bichin. How low would I want to work to. Maybe go down to 2100 daily cals since I've got 31 days 'till I set sail???

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
2100 cals for a guy thats nearly 260 lbs seems way too low. If you feel your progress has been limited despite our best efforts I would think it may be an underlying problem with your food choices or timeing. Do you think you can post up a daily intake of what your eating so we can get a better view.

Also has you strength increased at all? If you have been eating right you may have been able to cut some of the fat while putting on a little lbm.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'd lower your fat intake and up your carb intake on lifting days.

Also, you may try carb cycling. Don't drop your calls too low, this will be counter productive. Morning cardio ftw. And try to get 6+ small meals a day. Eat every 2-3 hours. This will work for sure. Make sure all of your carbs are very clean, read: good GI levels.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
oK, cool. Fitday had me at 2424 BMR and 4000 with activities. Does this sound reasonable? That would mean I've been eating on average -600cals daily for the last 10 weeks. That deficit should have lost me 12lbs. I've only lost ~4lbs. in that time.

Oh well, enought bichin. How low would I want to work to. Maybe go down to 2100 daily cals since I've got 31 days 'till I set sail???
Keep in mind that if you dip to low you will put your body in starvation mode. that would include lethargy, constipation, inability to lose weight, and the body begins to store garbage food as a survival mechanism, and you catabolise muscle for energy. So bring it down see how close to 2400 you can consisteltly go without overdoing it. On the bright side youve got the right attitude and a muscular big guy looks better than a skinny fat guy. (no offence meant)

massmonster

Awards
  • Established
Here is a fast break down from yesterday.

M1 (6:30AM) 3 scoops ATW casein
M2 (9:30AM) 24 oz ground turkey
M3 (12:30PM) 15 oz chicken
M4 (3:30PM) 2 scoops ATW whey blend pre-wo
M5 (8:00PM) 9.3 oz pork loin
M6 (10:30PM) 3 scoops ATW casein

Thats the protein breakdown. There were 2c steamed veggies and 1/2c brown/wild rice included with M2 & M5.

Yes, my strenght is way up. Since april I'm up from 235 to 325on flat bench and all other lifts have jumped too.

2100 cals for a guy thats nearly 260 lbs seems way too low. If you feel your progress has been limited despite our best efforts I would think it may be an underlying problem with your food choices or timeing. Do you think you can post up a daily intake of what your eating so we can get a better view.

Also has you strength increased at all? If you have been eating right you may have been able to cut some of the fat while putting on a little lbm.

massmonster

Awards
  • Established
I shoot for a minimum of 5 meals daily. sometimes it seems like 7-8 because I get called away at wrok and eat those 3 meals in halves.

Morning cardio ftw...whats ftw? The fats are mostly from olive, fish and flax oil, in that order. I'd say 10% of my fat intake is inherent to my protein needs. I used to rely on whey because it seemed so "clean". Zero fat and negilgable carbs. Last fall a saw the light. Now its chicken breasts, pork loin and browned-boiled-drained&rinsed ground chuck. Throw a few cans of albacore in there too.

I've prepared and logged every meal on fitday.com since march 27th. Its hard not to eat clean when you see the numbers staring back at you every day.

I'd lower your fat intake and up your carb intake on lifting days.

Also, you may try carb cycling. Don't drop your calls too low, this will be counter productive. Morning cardio ftw. And try to get 6+ small meals a day. Eat every 2-3 hours. This will work for sure. Make sure all of your carbs are very clean, read: good GI levels.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I dont think you are getting enough calories. And I would lower the fat intake. Try cycling calories as well, higher cals on training days- more protein and carbs, lower on off days, high protein, lower carbs, lower fat. eat at least 8 times a day and space out the calories as evenly as possible. Plus I dont know how vigorous your training is and if you do any cardio, but maybe you need to kcik it up a notch. I would not be eating pork loin either, go for ground turkey breast, chicken, shrimp, very low fat lean meats.

massmonster

Awards
  • Established
as far as my training goes I cannot really up it unless I move to two-a-days. I do a lifting routine that Mike Matarazzo used to pimp, I forget the name he gave it. It all about volume; finding that sweet spot between heavy/low reps and light/high reps. Usually work pecs-upper back, legs-delts, bis/trs-lower back. I shoot for 250,000 lbs of total volume over about 12-14 sets.

Cardio two days a week alternates between a 5k at about 7.3mph or HIIT with sprints upto 11.0mph for a total distance of 4 miles.

you don't think I'm getting enought calories at 3400? I think I maybe too late to bump to 4250 to reset my metabolism and then work back down. At least within 31 days that is.

I eat the pork loin because I like it and fitday and calorieking both rate it as 60% less fat and 50% more protein than ground turkey; the junk turkey I buy that is.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm not rebutting anything, just providing more info to help clarify. Any more suggestions?