What the deal with the Elliptical?

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
What's the deal with the Elliptical?

Why is it that the elliptical always displays a high amount of calories burned? The Life Fitness ellipticals at my gym even ask me to enter my body weight for accurate calories expenditure. It seems like the elliptical display almost 5x calories burned than working hard on the treadmill. Is there really that much more energy expenditure on the elliptical versus treadmill/stairmill or is it inaccurate in some ways?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I noticed this the other day as well. On a 30 min elliptical it says I burn nearly 400-425 cals (after entering age and bw) and same time on a bike is near 350-375

Only thing I could think of would be that an elliptical it feels as if your moving faster than one would on a bike or a treadmill plus your being forced to go higher on the leg raise when comming forward (I feel the quad burn alot on the elliptical compared to a straight treadmill, but then again th eburn on th ebike is more intense than on the elliptical but I dont know how much lactic acid plays in that role)

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nah, I never really pay attention to the calorie expenditure readings on machines. There are so many factors to take into account with calorie burning that those things are never really accurate. The best thing to do is use the same machine and use it to guage your progress. I think CRUNCH said that a ruler that measures 13 may be wrong, but at least it will always be 13

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
I almost feel like the elliptical might be telling the truth. I think that it may feel like you are working harder on a treadmill and stairmill because of the loss of energy in motion when your foot hits the ground and each step up you take. On the elliptical there is no impact. Does this make any sense?

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I think you would burn more cals on the elliptical. I know I'd rather do an hour on the tradmill versus 30 minutes on the Elliptical, it kills my quads for some reason.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think it depends on how hard your going at a lower rate of speed the eliptical burns more calories I think because you are moving your legs in a up and down motion and your arms a the same time but when I am running at say 9:min per mile pace on the treadmill I am burner probablly more calories if you bump a tread mill up a little on an incline the calorie difference is also dramatic.

zdrc6

Awards
what do you all keep your settings at on the elliptica

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I think you would burn more cals on the elliptical. I know I'd rather do an hour on the tradmill versus 30 minutes on the Elliptical, it kills my quads for some reason.

same here. Treadmill is entire leg it feels using all of muscles to lift and using both hams and wuads to pull forward. On the elliptical your just pushing forward and up on the elliptical's track which is a quad killer.

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
Whoa whoa whoa! :lol: I dont use the elliptical that has the incline. I use the crosstraining elliptical that you move your arms as well as your legs. No quad strain.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
o interesting my gym only has ellipticals that have the incline ramp (ones with the arms that move and also ones with just stationary bars)

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
I've stopped using the eliptical and only use the treadmill now. But I don't get that same feeling as I did when I was on the eliptical, when I get off of it my feet feel like they weigh a million pounds.

I think the repition and the ease of movement is the reason why we feel super heavy when we get off of the eliptical. But I would rarely get tired on a eliptical even after 4 miles at higher settings. But after 2 miles on a treadmill im' usually dead.

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Anything that u have to support your own weight while exercising, therefore the elliptical is better than the rower and bike. IMO the bike is actually pretty worthless.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I wouldnt say the bike is worthless, it just focuses on lesser used muscles and with proper resitance can be down right deadly (my legs are bruning on the the bike) And with any of the machines if you get your hr where it needs to be its doing its job

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established

Agree I personally am not a big fan of the thread mill it kills my calf's killll after about 2 miles. Plus all the hot chicks are on the Elliptical HAHAH (Viper) HAHAHA jk jk