the most satisfying beers for under 140 calories

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Most light beers save only about 20 to 50 calories per bottle -- and some even outweigh regular beers. It's mostly marketing, says Garrett Oliver, Brooklyn Brewery brewmaster and author of The Brewmaster's Table. Want maximum taste, minimum guilt? Consult our guide to the best beers under 140 calories.

Ratings (out of ***)

Guinness Draught Bottle (4.2% alcohol)
Calories: 125 **
Carbohydrates: 9.9 grams (g) **
Foods it goes best with: Creamy, mild taste plays well with shellfish and soups.
Taste test: "Smoky flavor with hints of coffee. Breakfast, anyone?" ***

Yuengling Premium (4.4% alcohol)
Calories: 135 *
Carbohydrates: 12 g *
Foods it goes best with: Hoppy, sweet notes blend best with barbecue or pan-Asian foods.
Taste test: "A little bitter and a little sweet, like my relationship with my ex." **

Sol Cerveza Especial (4% alcohol)
Calories: 127 **
Carbohydrates: 10 g **
Foods it goes best with: Its light body and fizzy texture are the perfect foil for spicy fare, like jalapeño-heaped nachos.
Taste test: "Tastes like a Mexican Budweiser. Can someone snag some nachos and a lime?" *

Victory Lager (4.8% alcohol)
Calories: 138 *
Carbohydrates: 11 g *
Foods it goes best with: This crisp lager cleanses the palate after a burger.
Taste test: "A little hops-heavy at first, but the taste grows on you." ***

WINNER
New Belgium Skinny Dip (4.2% alcohol)
Calories: 110 ***
Carbohydrates: 7 g ***
Foods it goes best with: This bright, light beer pairs nicely with chicken and fruit.
Taste test: "A good beer for kicking back after a long day of hard work." ***

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
I sure hope I don't find a low calorie good tasting beer as it will get me on the boozers bandwagon again. But i might be able to learn some control.

Cool post I will have to try the winner.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
When I do drink I really like "Sleeman: Clear" Its a light canadian beer that has only 90cals and 2.5 carbs per bottle. Its only 4% but tastes pretty good.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Becks Premium Light...

Bud Select is pretty big round here too

stinkfinger

Awards
Rolling Rock Green light has 82 cals a beer. This is the lowest I've ever been able to find. It even beat the Mick Ultra in cals. Taste is ok, I like miller lite better.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Sam Adams Light: 127 cals, 9.7g carbs

Amstel Light: 95 cals, 5g carbs

In the summer, it is often worth going for a Corona (or maybe a half dozen): 147 cals, 13g carbs

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I have to say though, at least when the weather isn't warm, Guinness seems like the clear choice. If you're trying to minimize cals, drinking Guinness likely means drinking less. If I drink Mich. Ultra, I'll easily put away 8-12. I don't think I have ever consumed more than 3-4 Guinness, even when I was an outright lush.

But w/ these 80 degree days, Corona is making my mouth water.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I have to say though, at least when the weather isn't warm, Guinness seems like the clear choice. If you're trying to minimize cals, drinking Guinness likely means drinking less. If I drink Mich. Ultra, I'll easily put away 8-12. I don't think I have ever consumed more than 3-4 Guinness, even when I was an outright lush.

But w/ these 80 degree days, Corona is making my mouth water.
Same here ;)

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Damn, I have to try that one. How can it have so few cals? It might be ridiculously low in alcohol.
Even better...I like to enjoy my beer. I'm out of the drinking for the sake of getting drunk stage of my life. My favorite is a regular sam adams that has set out open at room temp for about 5 min...perfection!

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Most light beers save only about 20 to 50 calories per bottle -- and some even outweigh regular beers. It's mostly marketing, says Garrett Oliver, Brooklyn Brewery brewmaster and author of The Brewmaster's Table. Want maximum taste, minimum guilt? Consult our guide to the best beers under 140 calories.

Ratings (out of ***)

Guinness Draught Bottle (4.2% alcohol)
Calories: 125 **
Carbohydrates: 9.9 grams (g) **
Foods it goes best with: Creamy, mild taste plays well with shellfish and soups.
Taste test: "Smoky flavor with hints of coffee. Breakfast, anyone?" ***

Yuengling Premium (4.4% alcohol)
Calories: 135 *
Carbohydrates: 12 g *
Foods it goes best with: Hoppy, sweet notes blend best with barbecue or pan-Asian foods.
Taste test: "A little bitter and a little sweet, like my relationship with my ex." **

Sol Cerveza Especial (4% alcohol)
Calories: 127 **
Carbohydrates: 10 g **
Foods it goes best with: Its light body and fizzy texture are the perfect foil for spicy fare, like jalapeño-heaped nachos.
Taste test: "Tastes like a Mexican Budweiser. Can someone snag some nachos and a lime?" *

Victory Lager (4.8% alcohol)
Calories: 138 *
Carbohydrates: 11 g *
Foods it goes best with: This crisp lager cleanses the palate after a burger.
Taste test: "A little hops-heavy at first, but the taste grows on you." ***

WINNER
New Belgium Skinny Dip (4.2% alcohol)
Calories: 110 ***
Carbohydrates: 7 g ***
Foods it goes best with: This bright, light beer pairs nicely with chicken and fruit.
Taste test: "A good beer for kicking back after a long day of hard work." ***

LOL, straight from Mens Health, great magazine

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Is there a complete database somewhere?

I'd like to know the numbers for some of my favorites...

Beamish Irish Stout
Magic Hat Dark Angel
Murphy's Irish Stout

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I know calorieking.com has a lot of stuff in there, you might wanna check it out ;)

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn, I have to try that one. How can it have so few cals? It might be ridiculously low in alcohol.
You are right on the button...I looked this up a couple of weeks ago and it's about 2.5% alcohol. I hate to say it, but my favorite beer for the bang (cals/alcohol/price) is Natty Light. I love that ****. That's my boozin' it up beer. My of choice is definitely Guinness and just about any oatmeal stout. It says oat in it...that means it's good for you, right?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Guinness actually is good for you. It is in a class of its own with regards to nutritional content.

As for the alcohol content of the Beck's Premium Light, I have to agree with Rampage Jackson's post above. I really don't care to be getting drunk anymore. I simply don't like it; it screws up my workouts, and the negative hormonal impact of the extra alcohol is undesirable too. I have a feeling the Beck's will be my brew of choice this summer.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Guinness actually is good for you. It is in a class of its own with regards to nutritional content.

As for the alcohol content of the Beck's Premium Light, I have to agree with Rampage Jackson's post above. I really don't care to be getting drunk anymore. I simply don't like it; it screws up my workouts, and the negative hormonal impact of the extra alcohol is undesirable too. I have a feeling the Beck's will be my brew of choice this summer.
My English step father always tells me how farmers over in England feed their horses a can of Guinness everyweek...I hear this story every time I brin the stuff over to the rent's place.

The Beck's Premier Light is not a bad beer per say, but it kind of tastes like soda water.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Soda water is good...with Absolut Citron :drunk:

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I love guiness it def an aquired taste for most its a meal in a glass its so heavy but i usually dont drink enought to experience negative side effects cause i get too full. From the tap its awesome from the can its good and from the bottle im not crazy about it. cheers.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
If I'm going to be bad, I'm going to be bad, and not care about calories. Drinking once a month ain't going to kill you. It's just when you start doint it every weekend, or worse still, every day, that's going to get you.

Alcohol is bad, but then again, so is cheesecake.

Anyhow, here are some of my favorite brews:

Ayinger:
Altbairisch Dunkel
Celebrator Dopple Bock
Ur Weizen
and if you can ever find it.... Weizenbock.

Spaten:
Oktoberfest
Export Dunkel

Samuel Adams:
Black Lager

Wanna drink some maple syrup that will knock you on your're tail...
EKU28. 14% alcohol. Not so tasty, but drink two or three bottles, and you'll know it.

Chimey:
Blue bottle. Maybe 9% alcohol, and tastes great. I buy it in the big bottle.

-Tinytoad

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I love guiness it def an aquired taste for most its a meal in a glass its so heavy but i usually dont drink enought to experience negative side effects cause i get too full. From the tap its awesome from the can its good and from the bottle im not crazy about it. cheers.
That is exactly why Guinness is a good choice for BBers who are going to drink. It is packed with nutrients, only has 125 cals, and you get too full to drink a dozen.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You are right on the button...I looked this up a couple of weeks ago and it's about 2.5% alcohol. I hate to say it, but my favorite beer for the bang (cals/alcohol/price) is Natty Light. I love that ****. That's my boozin' it up beer. My of choice is definitely Guinness and just about any oatmeal stout. It says oat in it...that means it's good for you, right?
I forgot to mention that $6 12-pack of Natty Light is only 95 calories per 12oz can/bottle--do others places have NattyLight in bottles or is just FL?

Other great beers are any of the Sam Adams Seasonal Brews.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
By the way,

My friend brought me back some Guiness from Ireland, and the stuff tastes like heaven. The stuff you get here in the states, reminds me of road tar. I'm not sure what the difference is, but the stuff you get in Ireland is not the stuff you get here in the states.

-Tinytoad

That is exactly why Guinness is a good choice for BBers who are going to drink. It is packed with nutrients, only has 125 cals, and you get too full to drink a dozen.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
oh yeah i like this beer called hoegarden (sp)? And i also enjoy mgd when i want to drink a more mainstream beer like say in a pub or bar that doesnt have guiness. Beowulf Ive never been able to find exactly what nutrients are in guiness but it feels like pure energy in my body when i drink it i feel strong, explosive, and muscle bellies are full, and this is not the beer goggles i mean after 1 or 2. Im not talking about drunken courage but i honestly feel physically good on one or two guinesses, of which i do not experience with other beers.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
oh yeah i like this beer called hoegarden (sp)? And i also enjoy mgd when i want to drink a more mainstream beer like say in a pub or bar that doesnt have guiness. Beowulf Ive never been able to find exactly what nutrients are in guiness but it feels like pure energy in my body when i drink it i feel strong, explosive, and muscle bellies are full, and this is not the beer goggles i mean after 1 or 2. Im not talking about drunken courage but i honestly feel physically good on one or two guinesses, of which i do not experience with other beers.
It must be naturally occurring IGF :bb2:

I'm not sure why red wine vasodilates, but maybe Guinness does the same thing. Murphy's actually tastes better than Guinness, at least in the U.S.

I'm not sure what the difference is, but the stuff you get in Ireland is not the stuff you get here in the states.
I wonder if it is brewed in the U.S. I know that when I was in Spain, the Guinness was brewed at the Cruzcampo brewery. Cruzcampo, the Spanish have blessed us with much; Cruzcampo is not among these gifts :blink:

Another possible explanation could be a need for preservatives, or maybe degradation from the trip across the Atlantic. In Ireland, they claim the Guinness tastes better the closer you get to Dublin (the brewery). Of course, the Irish are notorious BullPoopers. I've never noticed a difference. Nonetheless, freshness could be a factor.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
I used to not be able to drink a lot of Guinness. Then I bounced in an Irish bar (a real Irish bar - the owner and half the staff were right off the boat). Now, I can drink just as much of it as I can any other beer.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I tried the Beck's Light, and it is pretty good. It is very watery, but doesn't taste bad. Warning: you will probably put down 3 before you realize it. I chug water all day, so when I pick up a watery beer it is easy to do the same.

For anyone who uses Fitday, you can plug it right in by following this link
http://www.dietfacts.com/html/items/36047.htm

It doesn't include grams of alcohol so you have to add 6g alcohol in the nutritional profile in fitday.

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Warning: you will probably put down 3 before you realize it. I chug water all day, so when I pick up a watery beer it is easy to do the same.

I hear ya, thats why I stick to stouts and porters

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
I like stouts and porters, but I drink lighter beers sometimes, depending on the circumstances and what I am eating at the time.

jjm

jjm

Awards
How could you guys forget Bud Light? 4.2% alcohol, 110 calories, 6.6 grams of carbs.

Not to mention it tastes so good once it hits the lips.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
Bud Light is ok, but when I drink p1sswater, it's usually Coors Light.

Or whatever is on special. Last night at happy hour it was $5 pitchers of Miller Light.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Lol... Natty Light here. You can get a pounder (16oz) here for $1.00 any night of the week.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
Guiness-1# satisfaction in a glass!

When I'm cutting calories I drink 1 glass less(ultimate light beer experience)

When I am posturing at a NYC hotspot I drink Heineken, the shear cost of $6-8 is enough to keep the quantities down to a minimum!