Anything I can do for a night of drinking? Next day workout

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
I had about 6 beers tonight, and besides hydrating is there any special excersise that I can do to burn off those extra calories and toxins?

I so want to be good and eat right and be perfect but Having some drinks with some friends can't be the killer can it?

I understand one cheat can beat a weeks worth of work but there's nothing I can do?

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Here's a little deal I wrote up on bb.com some time back.

I was very interested in how exactly Alcohol consumption affects the system and what happens when you consume alcohol. Now, it is pretty common knowledge amongst BBers that Alcohol consumption lowers testosterone levels and increases estrogen levels, and it is awful for BBing in general. I was also interested in hangovers and why we get them so I did some research. Please excuse me if a post very similar to this has been posted before. So...I'll try to make this as short and sweet as possible:

The common hangover consists of the following:

* Dehydration (dry mouth, extreme thirst, dry eyes)
* Trouble concentrating
* Anxiety
* Difficulty sleeping
* Weakness
* Headache
* Poor sense of overall well-being
* Sensitivity to light and sound
* Diarrhea
* Loss of appetite
* Trembling
* Nausea
* Fatigue
* Increased heart rate and blood pressure

The most common are headaches, dehydration and fatigue. Things that can make hangovers worse are:

* Having an empty stomach during alcohol consumption.
* Increased activity while drinking (i.e. s3x0r, dancing)
* Poor health
* Not enough sleep
* Improper Hydration

So Why do we get handovers?

As those of you who drink have experienced, when drinking the frequency of restroom use is increased. Basically when alcohol enters your bloodstream it causes your pituitary gland in your brain to stop producing vasopressin. Vasopressin is a chemical and without this chemical your kidneys automatically send water directly to your bladder rather then staying in your kidneys and reabsorbing the water into your body. This diuretic effect increases as the alcohol levels in your bloodstream increase (see the next paragraph for more information on the diuretic effects). The next morning many of us experience dry mouth and horrible headache; this is your body trying to rehydrate itself. The body's organs try to find hydration by taking water from the brain and in turn the size of your brain decreases and pulls on the membranes that connect your brain to your skull resulting in stress/pain.

Since urination is very frequent, other things are also happening. During urination your expelling salt and potassium which is necessary for proper muscle function. Also, frequent urination depletes glycogen levels by converting glycogen into glucose and expelling it out of the body in urine.

One more thing, after drinking, your sleep also suffers. Alcohol consumption also inhibits the release of glutamine so when you stop drinking, the body tries to make up for this by producing a large amount of glutamine. This is usually happening while you are sleeping and the increase in glutamine levels begins to stimulate your brain leaving you with poor sleep. Since this happens, you won't be able to reach the deepest sleep possible (this also contributes to fatigue the next day).

So what can I do to minimize the effects of alcohol the next day?

Well ideally, alcohol consumption should not be mixed with body building but hey, it happens! By lifting the day after drinking you are not only putting a strain on your body/CNS but you are also working at an inefficient capacity. The congeners (a toxic byproduct of alcohol) stay in your liver for an extended period of time and the only way to fully get rid of your hangover is to give your liver the time necessary to get these toxins out (not to mention it takes more than one day for your natural test levels to fully rebound).

Things that work

Eggs: Eggs contain a substance known as cysteine which breaks down the toxin acetaldehyde which is poising your liver. Eggs can help process these toxins faster.

Bananas: Since your body is depleted of potassium, banana will help replenish your system of potassium. I'm guessing 1 gram of straight K would help as well. (Note: Potassium is also found in sports drinks like Gatorade)

Water: This is obvious. As a prevention method, it is smart of have a glass of water with every drink. As an added bonus, you can add sugar and salt to water to help replenish sodium and glycogen levels.

Juices: Real fruit juices contain many beneficial vitamins and nutrients that will help rejuvenate the body.

Aspirin and Painkiller alike: Excedrin can be very beneficial as the acetaminophen will help with the pain and the caffeine will reduce the size of the pounding blood vessels. (Note: Studies have shown a correlation between prolonged use of alcohol and acetaminophen and liver damage. Also, a high level of caffeine will only increase diuretic effects which are not optimal during this period.)

Time: The best solution.

Things to do before drinking that can help

Take a multivitamin to better prepare your body of vitamin depletion.

Drink plenty of water.

Eat a full meal.

Things to do while drinking that can help

Try to limit yourself to one drink an hour.

Drink a glass of water with every drink.

Try to stick with the same type of alcohol the whole time.

Things to do before sleeping that can help

Take two aspirin to help decrease the intensity of the hangover.

Take another multi.

Eat breakfast (ideally including eggs, a good source of potassium, a good source of fructose, a good source of electrolytes, sugars, and salts (Pedialyte is great for this).

Try to stay away from coffee, tea, and soda to keep the extra caffeine from dehydrating your system.

Of course this is not a full analysis of what happens during alcohol consumption and the hang-over people but this is info I found useful; hopefully some of you will find it useful as well. I also hope I didn't screw up any of this information in the process. Feel free to correct my mistakes. Thanks.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
I was gonna rep you Rage, but I have to spread points around. VERY nice post!

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
Milk Thistle...take a handfull of milk thistle before you go drinking and after it will up your glutothione (sp) levels and keep you away from hanging over anything

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
That's an interesting thought. Make that liver flex on the old alcohol eh? I'm gonna store that one away for future reference!

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Well when drinking i think the choices you make obviously affect the outcome. When i drink beer i drink hearty low calorie beers like guiness, to which ive never had a hangover. And when drinking hard i drink gin and oj or grapefruit juice, bc the oj helps stave off dehydration way better than pop and clear alcohol has no calories( i think). Using real oj obviously is better than concentrate from a tap. Like rage said two asprin before bed and lots of water. After a night of moderate drinking i usually drink 1-2 litres of water whilst sleeping, man do i need to piss in the morn. I have had difficulty finding evidence support the health aspect of guiness but i do feel much better than any domestic or draft beers, in the morning. but then again i have been know to drink wiskey shots till 3 and there is no helping that sort of binge drinking, moderation is the key to success.cheers.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This could just be an old wives' tale. But when I hit the sauce on a very, very regular basis, I would always chug real lemon juice with an aspirin before I went to bed. I never woke up with a monster hangover unless I missed doing that.

PastorofMuppets

Awards
I could swear that alpha lipoic acid has anti-hangover properties. I take it religiously now before and during any alcoholic beverages.

You get dehydrated, but you don't have the "blahs" the next day.

PastorofMuppets

Awards
I could swear that alpha lipoic acid has anti-hangover properties. I take it religiously now before and during any alcoholic beverages.

You get dehydrated, but you don't have the "blahs" the next day.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
I had about 6 beers tonight, and besides hydrating is there any special excersise that I can do to burn off those extra calories and toxins?

I so want to be good and eat right and be perfect but Having some drinks with some friends can't be the killer can it?

I understand one cheat can beat a weeks worth of work but there's nothing I can do?
Only because I feel I wasted my time responding to your other thread....

Yes it can be a killer. It's empty calories... I will go low with the caloric content at 100 a beer, that's 600 calories added to your daily total.

And alcohol reduces testosterone production taking up to a week to recover while increasing estrogen.

But, you never know... you may have found the secret to dropping 4-5% points of bodyfat while increase the size of your arms and chest.

:drunk:

Last edited:

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

You can do like me and stop drinking. I'll be drinking for my grad but it has been 5 months with not a drop of alcohol in my system. Feels good.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
6 beers isn't gonna kill a weeks worth of work bro, you might feel a bit of a belly for a day or two, but it'll go away. Theres no special exercise that I know of besides cardio. Prolly not a good idea to do this first thing the next morning while dehydrated though.

If i remember correctly you recently posted your diet and got help on how to eat better. I'd say lay off the beer for a few weeks when you start it.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You can do like me and stop drinking. I'll be drinking for my grad but it has been 5 months with not a drop of alcohol in my system. Feels good.
I'm on the same boat as you man. I haven't drank in like 6 months, and it does feel good.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Hate to say this but, I have a buddy who drinks about 6-8 bud's every night and even more on the weekends, he is 5'8" 148lbs and ripped.... I drink natty light (Natural Light) 3 nights a week (maybe 8-10 beers each time) and It hasn't stopped my progress. The only times I couldn't see my abs is when bulking with SD or PP. I'm 5'8" @ 180 lbs.... I piss out my beer as fast as it goes in..... I think everyone is different.... I'm not saying it's ok to drink while trying to build muscle, but some people probably can with out interfering with their progress..... Metabolism, metabolism is all I can say........
Now guys, don't beat me up on this one. :icon_lol:

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
well the hormonal implications are undenyable, i think guys who eat well can get away with more for sure. as the sun sets on another day you become closer to being an alcoholic and the weight always catches up as the lifestyle decisions get harder and harder to change for the better as we age..... gracefully like jim. well truth be told some guys moke meth and then quit but doesnt mean its good, dont sell yourself short jim where do you think you could be? have you had extended training periods without drinking. some use aclohol as a social tool, some regaurd drinking as a reward, some cannot resist the temptation, while others thrive and constantly seek the unatainable..... perfection.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
well the hormonal implications are undenyable, i think guys who eat well can get away with more for sure. as the sun sets on another day you become closer to being an alcoholic and the weight always catches up as the lifestyle decisions get harder and harder to change for the better as we age..... gracefully like jim. well truth be told some guys moke meth and then quit but doesnt mean its good, dont sell yourself short jim where do you think you could be? have you had extended training periods without drinking. some use aclohol as a social tool, some regaurd drinking as a reward, some cannot resist the temptation, while others thrive and constantly seek the unatainable..... perfection.
I agree, I probably could have gained more muscle than I have If I didn't drink beer. I use drinking as a social tool like you mentioned. I have a nice bar/game room set up in my basement and we have a group of friends over twice a week (faithfully) on Tuesdays and Thursday nights, and yes tonight is a drink night. I worked all day, just did my 25-30 minute shoulder workout (TUT style) now I'll have my 40g protein shake and around 6:00 I'll throw a chicken breast on the grill and by 7:00 my friends will be over for a few ****tails.... They will be gone by 11:00. Then I'll sleep till 7:00am, then out the door for another day of work. Saturday nights we go out.......

jim where do you think you could be? have you had extended training periods without drinking.
The only time I have had extended training without drinking is when I'm on a cycle and that includes PCT and maybe a couple weeks after.... Then I'll start where I left off...... Don't forget, I'm 41 and It hasn't cought up to me yet.... I think If I drank Bud or something stronger I probably would have a gut, but Natural Light? He,he..... No gut here.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A combination I've found to help in minimizing damage around when the waistline is a combination of lean extreme and sesathin. This seems to be a synergistic combination, in that I've had some pretty bad weekends away from home with regards to alcohol consumption, and overall crappy diet, and with higher dosing of lean extreme and sesathin I've been able to keep fat gain to minimal levels.

william3162

Board Supporter
Awards
For preventing the hangover I used a huge glass of water with one or two tablespoons of sugar together with two whole wheat burned toasts. This has worked wonders for me.

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
BEFORE drinking, I make sure to take a couple sesamin caps along with a B-complex and 1-gram of Vit C (with a meal).

Before bed, I try to drink about 16-24 ounces of water with another B-comples and Vitamin C.

I rarely get hangovers anymore.

Gumbo

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
great sounds good, my tolerance has lowered a lot since eating right and working out.

I need to stop drinking 5+ beers 2 times a week. At least i'm active and the meals are getting better by the week.

Xtremestrngth

Awards
Pedialyte before bed time, milk thistle and vitamin c