Going to start a keto log. Woohoo!

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
Well as you know I posted an earlier thread that I was going to do a SD cycle this week but I changed my mind. It just did not feel right doing a cycle right now for some reason. I want to have some stuff together in my personal life before I start another cycle so I am not stressed out during it. Better safe than sorry.

I did start a keto diet yesterday, today I kept good track... I ate:

1480 cals
167 grams protein
67 grams fat
8 grams carbs

Basically I ate turkey burgers, chicken breast, and almond butter. Tommorow I am going to have to eat some souble fiber or something because I am getting the ****s.
But I felt ok and not lethargic like the last time I did keto. I think I did consume too much sodium today though.

I have not done a keto diet in several years. The last time I did one I lost good but ketosis was kinda bad. My legs were always falling asleep for some reason once I got into ketosis.

Supps are:
Green tea extract capsules and lots of sugar free green tea
Saw Palmetto
Multivitamin
Zinc/Mag/Calcium combo
2 grams Vit C
Red Yeast Rice
Milk Thistle

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
Today sitting at:
1640 cals
174g pro
91g fat
11g carb

Added some fiber supplements. I started feeling kinda spaced out today . I guess I am in ketosis.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You'll know you're in ketosis when you smell it in your breath... Good luck man but this diet isn't really all its cracked up to be. Too many healthy alternatives to learning to eat right that you can stay on for a lifetime and not feel like ****. This is a short term setup that makes you feel worse than the morning after a night filled with 'steel reserve'.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
You'll know you're in ketosis when you smell it in your breath... Good luck man but this diet isn't really all its cracked up to be. Too many healthy alternatives to learning to eat right that you can stay on for a lifetime and not feel like ****. This is a short term setup that makes you feel worse than the morning after a night filled with 'steel reserve'.
Mostly agree but Keto diets can be very effective for weight loss especially if you cycle correctly. Similar to theway you cycle your resistance training to shock your body you can get your metabolism revved up with some change every now and again. IMHO

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh I agree 100% Just the damn hazy fogged up brain feeling with no damn energy and having to eat ungodly amounts of crap in the process just sucks.

I used all the fad diets etc but until I finally found a way to eat and stay on it without falling off was when I could drop the weight. So basically I guess i'm giving opinion only based off my personal experience which I guess is sort of useless :)

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Good luck with the keto, I know I can't go through that again.
Will be interesting to see your "side effects", with such a low carb intake you should be in ketosis by tomorrow.
Brain fog, here you come!!!

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Oh I agree 100% Just the damn hazy fogged up brain feeling with no damn energy and having to eat ungodly amounts of crap in the process just sucks.

I used all the fad diets etc but until I finally found a way to eat and stay on it without falling off was when I could drop the weight. So basically I guess i'm giving opinion only based off my personal experience which I guess is sort of useless :)
Agree again!

Personal experience is what this place is all about brother!

Where else can we have intelligent (sometimes) conversations about things we are passionate about? Most people just give me blaank looks when I start soap boxin. At least here people can shut me up by correcting me when I am wrong! :D

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Good luck with the keto, I know I can't go through that again.
Will be interesting to see your "side effects", with such a low carb intake you should be in ketosis by tomorrow.
Brain fog, here you come!!!
She's got a good point. I feel pretty ****ty that low on carbs. About 40-50 grams a day was my sweet spot to staying in ketosis and not feeling like total gobbly goo.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn agreed with by BP in the same thread twice. Should I feel ashamed of being all warm and fuxxy on the inside?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Hu hu, you said fuxxy! Hu hu.

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Do you have keto sticks to check where you are at in ketosis?
I am pretty sure you can't keep up with sub 10g carbs a day for very long, and once you are there, you should be able to stay in ketosis at 100g a day. You would need keto-sticks to check that you were still there though. It will help lots with the lethargy and stop the cravings.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know a guy who lost 100 pounds on it and said he stayed at 80ish carbs.

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeh, as long as you increase slowly each day and monitor a couple of times a day, you should be able to work out a level that keeps you in ketosis and makes the diet more tollerable.
50-80g a day seems perfectly reasonable, especially if you are working out too.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Yeh, as long as you increase slowly each day and monitor a couple of times a day, you should be able to work out a level that keeps you in ketosis and makes the diet more tollerable.
50-80g a day seems perfectly reasonable, especially if you are working out too.
Keto-sticks (sp?) are great tools to moniter that, btw. :)
Any local pharmacy will have em.

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
I am feeling just a bit spaced out, but on the other side of the coin, hunger is not a problem at all. My normal maintenice calories are about 2500 cals a day so I am quite a bit below with no hunger. Not to mention the metabolic advantage I get by eating so much protein. Hopefully I can stick with it.

Years ago I did the "Bodyopus" diet by Dan Duchaine. I remember I lost a ton of weight fast but I don't know how much was water or muscle, because at the time I was not very knowledgeable about measuring that stuff.

I am reading the Anabolic Diet right now and rereading The Atkins diet. I have not decided whether or not to do a weekend carb up.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
You can do it man! Try to keep low carb food with you at all times. It will help keep ya from cavin.

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
Well still going so far!
had:
1450 cals
99g fat
101g pro
16g carbs

That psylium husk I took last night really helped. I started feeling a bit of the leg numbness today.

Interestly, the lady that sits next to me at work started low carb the same day I did. We have both noticed that we are thirsty all the time.

Libido is up a bit too, and I must be in ketosis because my piss smells bad. Not that it smelled GOOD before. But now it smells worse.:jaw:

My muscles feel kinda flat I guess due to the glycogen depletion which is kind of discouraging, but the lack of hunger is making this overall pretty easy.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
The "fog" they are speaking should really go away in time. If you are in full fledged ketosis you may actually feel energized, and elated.. I do notice my sense of smell is acute when in the dredges of Ketosis. BP is right, it is an excellent tool to cut, if you cycle the diet correctly.. You won't lose LBM if you replenish your glycogen reserves every so often. I have used a CKD diet for a while with EXCELLENT results. It takes a strong will, but after a while, it's easy as pie.

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
The "fog" they are speaking should really go away in time. If you are in full fledged ketosis you may actually feel energized, and elated.. I do notice my sense of smell is acute when in the dredges of Ketosis. BP is right, it is an excellent tool to cut, if you cycle the diet correctly.. You won't lose LBM if you replenish your glycogen reserves every so often. I have used a CKD diet for a while with EXCELLENT results. It takes a strong will, but after a while, it's easy as pie.
How often do you do a carb reload to replenish the glycogen? I am rereading the Atkins book, also just obtained The Anabolic Diet and Lyle McDonalds book on CKD, so I am still trying to figure out which approach to take.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I go anywhere from 7-14 days.. 7 is the usual.. I kind of based it off of Dan Duchaine's Body Opus.. I like crazy old Dan.. R.I.P.

anyways, beforehand I went long bouts without replenishing.. that was when LBM wasn't so much a priority to me, as was being ripped to shreds.. which was silly. Now I feel once a week is a good start. You'll feel extremely full and pumped the first day following the carb-up..

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
I go anywhere from 7-14 days.. 7 is the usual.. I kind of based it off of Dan Duchaine's Body Opus.. I like crazy old Dan.. R.I.P.

anyways, beforehand I went long bouts without replenishing.. that was when LBM wasn't so much a priority to me, as was being ripped to shreds.. which was silly. Now I feel once a week is a good start. You'll feel extremely full and pumped the first day following the carb-up..
I did Bodyopus years back. I lost the book wish I still had it. I did find a scan of some of Dan's old "Dirty Dieting" newsletters on the web which has alot of cool stuff. I miss Dan.

Did you do that crazy glycogen depletion work out in BO?

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
No, that total body workout on the friday prior? Nah, I just did legs.

These days, when I do the CKD, I Carb up only on one day, opposed to Dan's 3-night/2-day Glycogen replenish formula... That kind of had me eating captain crunch at 4am. lol

They sell it on amazon if you're really interested in getting it back. ;)

jonnydigital

Awards
I used a ketostix today and it was negative
I'm sorry, but Ketostix are bull****. Don't rely on them for dietary purposes. I know people that eat everything in site, and dont excercise that could piss on them and make them turn purple, likewise I've been on a full ketogenic diet for 4 months... I used them for a bit, half the time they showed me as being negative... I've lost 65lbs... So I can tell you, they aren't always accurate.

Sorry for those of you that think they are a great tool, but they're not.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, ketostix are good to have on hand but you shouldnt look at them as a definite sign that you are in keto. If you're drinking a ton of water, which you should be, they probably wont register. You can still be in ketosis and not have enough excess ketones in your bloodstream to register on the stix.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with Ubi and BP here that keto can be an excellent tool for rapid fat loss. I started off my quest to get lean with a 5 week CKD and I dropped 10lbs of flab in a month. The first 2 weeks were rough (skipped the first refeed, as suggested on www.C-K-D.com) but after that I definitely felt quite energetic.
Im considering heading into a CKD in a week or so, 3 months at a fairly strict 40/40/20 and Im plateauing just above 10%. I need to do more cardio, but just dont have time....that's where a CKD is a godsend, as your body is using fat for energy while in the carb depleted state. Cardio is still an important necessity, but its much more effective, as youre already glycogen depleted.

BV

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
Well the stick turned pink today :head:

Side effects are negligible. This is much easier than the conventional diets I have done.

Tommorow I weigh.

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
The stick was a dark purple this morning :head:

But, I have only lost 1.4 pounds.

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
Today was my 7th day. I noticed the urine smell more. I have also observed that the ketostix tend to be more accurate when your urine is yellow vs when you have been drinking alot. Today the stix was a dark pink.

I ate 2 filet mignons and some turkey burgers. I literally had to MAKE myself eat today.

Tommorow morning I will weigh myself again.

I have a pretty good sense of well being on the diet. I have not lifted weights since I have been on this diet, but today I did some mowing and yard work and some stuff around the house, so I burned some calories for sure. I think tommorow I may add some weights and cardio.

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
Ok time for an update. Everything is going great, my appetite gets less and less each day.

I started the diet on 5/23 at 179.4 pounds Today is the 9th day with no carbs.
Yesterday I was down to 176.6. I felt like I was retaining too much water still from the increased sodium intake. I went to the gym and burned 300 cals on the treadmill, then went in the sauna about 15 minutes and sweated out some of the salt.

This morning I was 175.

Fiber supplements are pretty much mandatory or you will be ****ting bricks. So I increased psylium to 2 tablespoons a day.

A great thing on this diet is heavy whipped cream. Get the one with 0 carbs, because it is easy to overdo it. It tastes sweet and helps sugar cravings.

So far today I have had only 870 calories and I am not even hungry. I'm going to actually have to FORCE myself to eat some more.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
oh yeah, heavy whipping cream is the ****. Almost to a point of decadence. Word to your mother.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
oh yeah, heavy whipping cream is the ****. Almost to a point of decadence. Word to your mother.
Um, I think he is using it for something other than what you do Ubi.

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
Yesterday I did a carb up because I was finally tired of not eating normal. Weighed myelf the next day. to see how much I really lost after the water came back. So far I have lost 3 real pounds, and half an inch on my waist. I also noticed some new veins standing out on my hands and forearms after doing the carb up.

Today was back to keto again. Only 3 grams carbs today.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Just curious bro what do you do for a living? I sit in front of a computer all day, and I've found that CKD's work very well in a situation where you just can't get in enough activity.

Personally, I prefer to cut on a more traditional diet but in order to break the plateau Im on its either more cardio - which I totally dont mind doing but just dont have the time for - or jump into keto for a few weeks.

BV

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
If you want to get really lean, you may need to lower the carbs to as low as 20% of your daily caloric intake while increasing protein and healthy fats. This is not an ideal diet for athletic performance however.

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
Just curious bro what do you do for a living? I sit in front of a computer all day, and I've found that CKD's work very well in a situation where you just can't get in enough activity.

Personally, I prefer to cut on a more traditional diet but in order to break the plateau Im on its either more cardio - which I totally dont mind doing but just dont have the time for - or jump into keto for a few weeks.

BV
I work at a call center so I too sit in front of a PC all day.

So far today I have had 800 calls 45g protein 2 grams carbs and like 70 grams fat, 15g of which was coconut oil.

I will probably eat something else and bring it up to 1000 cals or so.

I am cutting the calories lower than I usually do, I usually don't go below 1200, but since this diet is supposed to have a protein
sparing effect I am trying 800-1000. If I lose a bit of muscle it should come back quickly because I plan on doing a superdrol cycle after this diet.

How low should I get my bf% before stopping and doing the cycle? I want to leave a bit of a cushion for whatever fat I might gain on the cycle. I plan on the cycle being 3 weeks.

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
I started the EC stack today. I am taking the Primatene tablets 12.5mg ephedrine and 100mg caffeine, I plan on taking it 3 times a day. When I get used to it I will double the dosage.

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
I weighed in a 173.2 and waist was 34.5. So I have lost 6.2 pounds and one inch. I am going to do a couple of normal days eating to asses how much was water lost. If I am satisfie I may go ahead and do my Superdrol cycle, or maybe another week of dieting.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
work at a call center so I too sit in front of a PC all day.

So far today I have had 800 calls 45g protein 2 grams carbs and like 70 grams fat, 15g of which was coconut oil.

I will probably eat something else and bring it up to 1000 cals or so.

I am cutting the calories lower than I usually do, I usually don't go below 1200, but since this diet is supposed to have a protein
sparing effect I am trying 800-1000. If I lose a bit of muscle it should come back quickly because I plan on doing a superdrol cycle after this diet.

How low should I get my bf% before stopping and doing the cycle? I want to leave a bit of a cushion for whatever fat I might gain on the cycle. I plan on the cycle being 3 weeks.
Bro just a warning, the same principles of dieting apply to a CKD as any other diet. That is, dont cut cals too low. At 175lbs, I wouldnt be going any lower than ~1600 cals a day. If you do for too long, you're going to trigger your body's 'starvation response' and you WILL loose muscle mass.

What I plan on doing is cutting to 8%, then maintaining that bodyfat for a couple months so my body can get used to it, and realize that that is its new state of 'homeostasis'. After that, it should be much easier to bulk without gaining too much fat. If you cut and go straight to a bulk, a lot of that chunk is going to pack right back on.

BV

Smoky

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just a note that wasn't mentioned or I didn't see. I highly suggest if you don't already, that you ramp your dietary changes. This does not include carb ups. Generally think of it like a strip set. Once you bottom out your calories ramp back to maintenence for a week or two then start again. But always taper your changes. Dropping a 1000+ plus cals at a time is to fast. This will go a long way towards avoiding becoming catabolic to muscle tissue. At bottom caloric limits I spend no more than 1 week at the bottom (unique to each individual) then ramp back up. As they said you want to avoid the starvation mode big time. I have found this to always keep me feeling pretty good. If you pay attention to your own biorthyms you see that your body naturaly is more prone to shedding fat during certain times of the year. Learn these tides and it all gets easier to manipulate either. This deploys well on cycle as well just ramp the calories a bit. With SD it's a fine line for some between feeling good or hypoglycemic based on carb intake. As for moving from a cut to a bulk, transition your way in over a 4-8 week period. Allot of it will depend on body type. Pay attention to what your body tells you and adjust as needed.

Press ON...

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Good advice from Smoky - you'll be able to 'feel' when your body falls into a catabolic state too. Generally, you'll feel like ass:D Then you know its time to start upping the cals.

BV