Please Critique my Fat Loss Program ! 5 weeks later

crg28

Awards
About 5 weeks ago I decided to get started on a 10 week program after a 4 year hiatus that got me from 200 lbs (was not sure what my BF% were) to 239 lbs!

Little background: I’m 29 years old, 6’2” originally from Brazil. I came to the US on a Swimming Scholarship to a Div I school in ’94. After missing the mark for the ’96 Olympic Trials in Brazil, I started to slow down a little and concentrated on academics. At the time I was at 184 lbs and 11% BF. But that was then, and this is now….

After graduate school (2004) I had gained about 25 lbs (225lbs). I was still working out a little bit (3 times a week & 45 minutes strength training and about 20 minutes cardio) but I was eating horribly.
Once I got back to real world (post grad) and started working again, the situation just got worse. I was still working out the same 3 x week (not much, I know) but I my eating habits were very bad. I was having 2 meals a day, a fatty cheeseburger type meal with coke and fries for lunch and pasta or steaks at night.

About 6 weeks ago I had a wakeup call. Had a blood test done and of course, my cholesterol levels were through the roof (218). I decided that this was it. I could not see myself going down that path anymore. Went from a very high level swimmer to a fat a** in less than 8 years….

Started the 10 wk program 5 weeks ago and this is where I’m at.
Started at 235 lbs and 25% BF. BF testing was done using calipers by a “supposedly” very experienced NCSA trainer (I don’t agree, more on that later). Changed my diet and started supplementation with this:

9am – Myoplex Original RTD + 1 cps Venon Hyperdrive 3.0
12:30am – Grilled Chicken salad or Grilled Fish salad + 2 cps of Alri’s Special Tatics + 4 cps Amino Fuel 2000.
4:00pm – another Myoplex Original RTD
7:00pm – Workout
8:45pm – Myogenix Aftershock Post WO Drink
9:30pm – Grilled Fish with vegetables or Grilled Chicken with vegetables. (2 times a week an Eye Round Steak with vegetables) + 2 cps Alri’s Special Tatics
10:30pm – 1 cps Alri’s Lean Dreams.

Based on my calculations this reflects a ~ 1600 daily caloric intake with a Protein Intake of about 175g to 190g depending on whether I have steak instead of fish/chicken.

I can only train after work (7PM). I’m not able to train in the morning anymore…Burned out after 8 years of hardcore competitive swimming training at 5:00am….

My training consists of Compound Movements first, then isolation movements. 4 to 5 sets each 12 to 15 reps/set. Try to keep rest at less than 1 minute between sets. I’ve been doing a lot of supersets (i.e Bench + DB Fly) and Antagonist sets (Bar Curls + Close Grip Press).
Every 3rd week I switch to a lower rep, higher weight program with 3 to 4 sets and 6 to 10 reps.

My 4-split training schedule is as follows:

Monday – Chest + Abs + 30 minutes of Cardio
Tuesday – Arms + 30 minutes of Cardio
Wednesday – 30 min. Cardio
Thursday – Shoulders / Back + 30 minutes of Cardio
Friday – Legs + Abs + 30 minutes of Cardio
Saturday – Off
Sunday – 30-40 minutes of Cardio.

My calculated RMR in week 0 was ~ 2250 to 2500 depending on what formulas you use.
Considering my workout program, I’m calculating a ~ 3300 Calories/day of expenditures. Since my daily caloric intake is around 1600, I’m at a ~ 1700 caloric deficit per day. Using the 3500 calories = 1 lbs rule, I’m at ~ 3.5 lbs/week, which corresponds to where I’m at now 5 weeks later.

Yesterday was the end of my first 5 weeks and I was at 217 lbs and 19% BF.
Week 0: 58.8 Fat lbs and 176.3 Lean Mass Lbs – 235 lbs
Week 5: 41.2 Fat lbs and 175.8 Lean Mass Lbs. – 217 lbs

My goal is 205 lbs and 13.5% BF (Caliper) by the end of week 10. After then, I will hopefully have changed my life in way that I will be able to keep going (slower) to reach an under 10% bf.

Now comes the curve ball:
Yesterday I also measured my BF using our Gym’s Bod Pod machine. I was surprised at the results: 24.5% BF!!!!!
This is obvious a more accurate measurement. We went back and re-tested 3 times with 3 different skin fold calipers: Results 19%, 19.5%, 18.7%. We were using the 3-point measures.

We then had my former trainer test himself. He tested at 6% with the calipers and 11% with the Bod Pod. What gives?

I know I should’ve tested in week 0 with the Bod Pod, but it was no available then. Now I’m not sure what my Fat Lbs/Lean Lbs breakdown and progression really was….Kinda disappointed, but I will keep going with the calipers for the next 5 weeks and in the last week I’ll do another Bod Pod also. As long as they are both going in the same direction, I’m ok….

I would like to hear from you pros out there any suggestions that you might have for me to improve my plan, whether food wise, training wise or supplementation wise. I would really appreciate your comments.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Real brief but two things...

1. Not enough calories. Add about 1k at least but fitday.com is a must for people like us who are trying to lose weight.

2. Using calipers on yourself is a no-no.

crg28

Awards
1. Why do you think 1600 cal/day is not enough?
2. I think you misunderstood me. I was not using calipers on myself. I was being tested by a NSCS Trainer.

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
1. Why do you think 1600 cal/day is not enough?
Because at 217 you're putting yourself into starvation mode when you dip your calories below 2000 per day. Right now I am dieting in a 500 calorie deficit and that puts me at about 2900-3100 calories a day. I'm also dieting down from 250, so this is just me. I base my protein intake at 1.5g/ lb LBM, which at 250 and 24% b/f puts me at about 285-300g of protein a day, with about 60-80g coming from shakes. I would definitely try to get another protein + carb meal in some time there. I would definitely increase the protein and carbs a bit just to give yourself a bit more fuel for your workouts. Just my $0.02.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well there are calculators out there that will tell you the requirements for bulk,cut/weightloss, staying where you're at. It's a formula using certain stats and I can tell you that you're in no way at 1600 and with that amount you're in effect slowing your metabolism and causing your body to want to store more fat to defend against it starving.

And you said your trainer later tested himself using calipers and that's what I was referring to.

Using a BMR calc, i'm coming up with 2848 calories to lose weight and with a 40/40/20 split you would like like

284P/284C/63F

However with this you have to understand it's a calorie level that allows your metabolism to stay up and lose weight that won't cause your body to keep the fat. You also have to eat very clean cause 63 grams of sat fat isn't going to cut it.

gresh

gresh

Awards
I would add in another high protein/low carb/low fat meal in the late morn, early afternoon. There's too much time inbetween your first few meals. I would switch the post workout drink to whey isolate w/BCAA. I also dont recommend dropping below 2000cals.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well there are calculators out there that will tell you the requirements for bulk,cut/weightloss, staying where you're at. It's a formula using certain stats and I can tell you that you're in no way at 1600 and with that amount you're in effect slowing your metabolism and causing your body to want to store more fat to defend against it starving.

And you said your trainer later tested himself using calipers and that's what I was referring to.

Using a BMR calc, i'm coming up with 2848 calories to lose weight and with a 40/40/20 split you would like like

284P/284C/63F

However with this you have to understand it's a calorie level that allows your metabolism to stay up and lose weight that won't cause your body to keep the fat. You also have to eat very clean cause 63 grams of sat fat isn't going to cut it.
Good post man

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established

284P/284C/63F

Thought you said you never posted anything useful?