Walking: The Best Exercise for Losing Weight

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Walking: The Best Exercise for Losing Weight

When it comes to losing weight, slow down! Walk, do not run.

Researchers from Aristotle University in Thessaloniki, Greece found that a brisk walk is better than a fast run when it comes to weight loss, although higher intensity workouts will result in more muscle mass, reports Reuters Health.

The only way you will lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume. But does the intensity of a workout make a difference in the proportion of fat and lean tissue? That is, how does a brisk walk that burns 370 calories differ from an intense run that burns the same number of calories?

The study: Fourteen women were randomly assigned to one of two exercise routines that lasted for three months. The first group exercised on a treadmill at a moderate pace four times a week, while the other group also worked out on a treadmill at a more vigorous rate four times a week. The only difference in the two routines was the speed of the workout. The duration of the workouts were set so women in both groups each burned 370 calories during their exercise time.

The results: After three months of these treadmill workouts, all the women lost weight; however, the women who were in the lower-intensity group lost more weight. This group shed on average 7 pounds, compared with the higher-intensity group that lost on average 4 pounds. It's important to note that the runners did retain more muscle mass than those who walked briskly, but they may have done this because they lost more weight. The low-intensity group lost less than half a pound in fat-free mass, while the high-intensity group gained about a pound in fat-free mass, reports Reuters.

Why did the runners lose less weight than the walkers? Lead study author Dr. Vassilis Mougios blamed it on two factors:

1. The intensity of their workouts led them to eat more afterwards.
2. The workouts were so draining that they relaxed more during their leisure time.

Remember, there is no one "magic exercise," cautions Mougios. He told Reuters Health that the greatest fitness benefits come from mixing moderate and vigorous exercise with strength training. In other words, walk, run and lift weights.

The findings were published in the International Journal of Sports Medicine.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
May be the best way but it's also the least damaging vs. Running/jogging. Too bad so many jobs require the running part.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
Not to be a smartass, but what jobs besides pro athletes need to run. Yeah delivery guys and mailmen from dogs once in a while but, most jobs your sitting or walking around, i worked fast food and u move fast, but no running.

Good post, I might start an after dinner walk everynight. It'll be hard without my dog(rip) and a dub.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I burn ~150 cals per mile on the treadmill with a slight incline. At 8 mph a 30 minute workout burns ~600 cals. At 4 mph a 30 minute walk burns ~300. If eating maintenance (yes, actually tracking calories and controlling vs gee maybe the higher intensity group ate more after, nice scientific controls there) and using cardio as my deficit 5 days a week, well you do the math. There is something to be said for lower intensity cardio but minute for minute you will lose more weight with a higher caloric expenditure (again, considering all other factors the same). Which one has more danger of LBM catabolism, well that is a different topic altogether but I have to call BS on the scientific methods used in that study.

In other words, I think walking is great but I don't plan on spending an hour to an hour and a half to do something I can do in 30-45 minutes. IMO

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I burn ~150 cals per mile on the treadmill with a slight incline. At 8 mph a 30 minute workout burns ~600 cals. At 4 mph a 30 minute walk burns ~300. If eating maintenance (yes, actually tracking calories and controlling vs gee maybe the higher intensity group ate more after, nice scientific controls there) and using cardio as my deficit 5 days a week, well you do the math. There is something to be said for lower intensity cardio but minute for minute you will lose more weight with a higher caloric expenditure (again, considering all other factors the same). Which one has more danger of LBM catabolism, well that is a different topic altogether but I have to call BS on the scientific methods used in that study.

In other words, I think walking is great but I don't plan on spending an hour to an hour and a half to do something I can do in 30-45 minutes. IMO

yeah, that is the biggest problem with low intensity cardio.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Military, Police, Fire and Rescue, Security Guards(fed gov't). that's off the top of my head but I know there's more.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established

Well, they seem to indicate that certain metabolic efficiencies kick in when running that don't kick in with intense walking......in other words that the body has to work harder when walking fast (like running a car in the wrong gear). I don't have an opinion on the science but that seems to be the kernel of their findings.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
The results: After three months of these treadmill workouts, all the women lost weight; however, the women who were in the lower-intensity group lost more weight. This group shed on average 7 pounds, compared with the higher-intensity group that lost on average 4 pounds. It's important to note that the runners did retain more muscle mass than those who walked briskly, but they may have done this because they lost more weight. The low-intensity group lost less than half a pound in fat-free mass, while the high-intensity group gained about a pound in fat-free mass, reports Reuters.
Its not really a good study. Without knowing the caloric intake, macronutrient ratios,etc of the participants we cant be sure why the running group gained mass and the walking group didnt...like bpmartyr said it all boils down to how many calories you can burn vs how much your taking in. Higher intensity cardio burns more calories over a shorter timeframe, making it idea for those with restricted schedules. However, I still think going for a walk is great and I take a good 2-mile walk every afternoon if I can.

BV