Protein intake per meal...

massmonster

Awards
  • Established
I know the consensus is eating meals every 2-3 hours and limiting protien intake to 40-60g per serving. My question is can we, at least at times, stretch the window to meals every 4hrs and intake to 80-100g per serving IF you are consuming nonfat cottage cheese or boneless/skinless chicken breast.I'm more interested in protein utilization that the timing. I don't want to be chugging down a whole container of NF CC for beakfast if I'm not absorbing it.

Last edited:
Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
I dunno but it seems after researching that no one really agrees on an actual number. What I know is that anything too much over 60 grams of protein at one sitting causes stomach issues(for me). So I don't know if taking more would net better results but I try and keep mine at 60 or under a meal.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I dunno but it seems after researching that no one really agrees on an actual number. What I know is that anything too much over 60 grams of protein at one sitting causes stomach issues(for me). So I don't know if taking more would net better results but I try and keep mine at 60 or under a meal.
Yeah past discussions have indicated that the body can't absorb much more than 50-60 grams of protein at one time. I wouldn't take in any more than that. The additional meals have additional benefits as well so I'd try my best to get them in.

massmonster

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the statement "...the body can't absorb much more than 50-60 grams of protein at one time."

What I am trying to determine is what is meant by "time" and how the slow digestion and absorbtion of casein can expand that window.

For example, could the slow digestion of casein overlap feed times.

Meal #1: 60g protein
2.5 hrs later
Meal #2: 60g protein

now becomes

Meal #1: 120g casein
4 hrs later
Meal #2: balanced meal X