Is slow cardio in the morning any good?

FreshMintBlue

Awards
EDIT:

Sorry guys for the missing stats, thanks for all the help.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Height: 1.86 cm
Weight: 209 pounds

The reason I'm asking is because I cannot see any or very littler results after 2 weeks cardio in the morning.

I have enough fat around my belly that I cannot see my abs.

I did read up on slow cardio and most people agree that around 3Mph is the best way to go and that you ONLY see results after a couple of weeks, I'm neverless afraid that I waste time until the summer.

Here is my diet and my workout/cardio plan:

Cardio every morning around 08.00 concist of:
45 min walking on Treadmill around 3 mph.

Diet:

Right after Cardio: Protein Shake with water

50g Oat meal
1 medium Apple
200g Egg whites
Multivitamin
Glutamin
Cee Creatin

200g Turkey Breast grilled
200g Frozen Veggies
100g white rice (brown is way to expensive here)

2 slices brown bread with NATURAL Penut butter

50g Oats
1 medium apple
Skimmed milk

After Workout
1 Protein Shake with water

200g Turkey Breats
1 Salad
2 Table spoon Olive Oil
1 Table spoon Vinegar

Before bed:
2 Flaxseed Oil casules
2 Omega 3 casules

Any help is deeply apreachiated..... do i waste my time or can I get ripped untill August ?

Foster

Awards
Is that less calories then you were eating previous to starting the cardio? You have everything measured out precisely so I'm assuming you know the caloric content of everything and it's less calories then before.

Is someting preventing you from doing cardio at a faster pace? I don't really understand the purpose of slow cardio unless you can't do moderate speed. Some people argue that fast speed is more cardio health and less weight loss and that moderate speeds are best. I haven't read anything that says to do cardio slowly.

Also, I don't know how you can expect us to tell you if you can get ripped when we have no idea your current weight or your goal weight.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
low to mid intensity cardio is supposed to draw more energy from fat rather than carbs, so many think its the way to go. However, if you think about it when you sleep your energy is drawn mostly from fat too...so if that were the case we could all get ripped just from sleeping 12 hours a day!:)

I am cutting right now (my first *real* cut since I started training 5 years ago) - and last month with my diet locked in I did all mid-intensity cardio, jogging 15-20 miles a week on a treadmill. I definitely lost fat.

However, this month I switched over to HIIT cardio, which is a mix of mid intensity cardio with high intensity bursts in the same session. As a result, Ive lost more fat in 2 weeks with HIIT than I did in 4 weeks with just straight jogging.

Slow cardio is better than no cardio, but mixing it up with some intensity work with result in a great caloric defecit, not to mention that great feeling of having your ass kicked after a workout:)

BV

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would give it a little more than 2 weeks before you see results.
I would favor HIIT and make sure you are taking in less than your normal of calories.

myfathersboy

Awards
  • Established
Don't forget also that terms like 'slow' and 'fast' and 'high intensity' are very subjective....your current condition, weight, and age all play a role in determining your target heart rate. In other words, 'slow' for you might be 'fast' for me depending on the aforementioned factors. I think it's misunderstandings like this that is one of the major reasons people don't see results....some kid walks into the gym and crams 900lbs onto the leg press and moves it 2 inches because some dude at work told him "go heavy or go home"...well thats all fine and good but 'heavy' is another one of those subjective terms that really does us little good.

ok...sorry, got a little carried away....what I am trying to say is find your target heart rate for burning fat and, using that number, adjust accordingly. HIIT and slow, steady cardio both have their places, but you need a starting point in order to define what all of those vague terms mean to YOU.

Did that make any sense at all?

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
what is the calorie breakdown of your diet?

Also, just keep your heartrate around 125-130 for the morning cardio and you should be fine

HeIsLegend

Awards
yeah try some HIIT cardio it works good...Ive never done the stairclimber at the gym until yesterday and 10 minutes switching it up kicked my butt i never thought i could sweat so much from doing stairs

HeIsLegend

Awards
yeah thats kinda slow i switch up mine on different incline levels and different speeds all the way up to 8.0mph i usually do that for 12 minutes then the skier for 20 then the stair climber for 15

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
Must be quite subjective, my walking pace is about 5mph.

I've started a HIIT program that I do early morning, so far it's been going good.

I think you may see better results if you spent less time going at a faster pace.

The diet plan looks, unless your age/weight/height are in some extreme.

FreshMintBlue

Awards
The reason I started with slow cardio is that after bulking (a little dirty after my Egypt holiday) I wanted to keep my little bit of muscles I have gained over the winter time.
To be honest with you, I have the time of my life atm, I never was stronger in squads and any other excersise for that matter.
I don't want to risk loosing all my gains by doing HIIT (what I have done in the past and I have to admit that I got some results)

I'm just a little worried since I'm still on 209lbs in the MORNING with no food in my my belly and I (If i had the chance) cleared out my crap before I went to the gym.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason I started with slow cardio is that after bulking (a little dirty after my Egypt holiday) I wanted to keep my little bit of muscles I have gained over the winter time.
To be honest with you, I have the time of my life atm, I never was stronger in squads and any other excersise for that matter.
I don't want to risk loosing all my gains by doing HIIT (what I have done in the past and I have to admit that I got some results)
The 'cardio burns muscle' myth is a complete load of steaming BS, IMO. If you have a good diet, and you're doing cardio in the right amounts, you are NOT going to lose any muscle unless you have some kind of hormonal imbalance. HIIT cardio actually helps preserve muscle compared to long (60+ min) of endurance training. Look at a sprinter and a marathon runner...who generally has more muscle on their frame?

BV

FreshMintBlue

Awards
After thinking a little bit I came to the following conclusion:

I will do an on off HIIT day...

Monday: As usuall 45 min walking around 3-5mph

Thuesday: HIIT Bike 15 min

Wednesday: 45 min walking

Tursday: HIIT

Friday: Walking

Saturday: HIIT

Sunday: Off

What do you guys think ?

WannaGro

Board Supporter
Awards
The 'cardio burns muscle' myth is a complete load of steaming BS, IMO. If you have a good diet, and you're doing cardio in the right amounts, you are NOT going to lose any muscle unless you have some kind of hormonal imbalance. HIIT cardio actually helps preserve muscle compared to long (60+ min) of endurance training. Look at a sprinter and a marathon runner...who generally has more muscle on their frame?

BV
HIIT will burn muscle if you do it to long, I was a sprinter and a hurdler, and my training was 2-3hrs, 6 days a week. It was mostly HIIT type training, and I would lose about 5lbs per week during conditioning, while eating over 4000 calories per day. I would lose a decent amout of muscle too. I do realize that none of these people just trying to lose weight would train like this, but I just think that even with a sound diet muscle can be lost with to much HIIT. Running distance though I think does burn more muscle. The distance runners always looked sick because they were so scrawny.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
HIIT will burn muscle if you do it to long, I was a sprinter and a hurdler, and my training was 2-3hrs, 6 days a week. It was mostly HIIT type training, and I would lose about 5lbs per week during conditioning, while eating over 4000 calories per day. I would lose a decent amout of muscle too. I do realize that none of these people just trying to lose weight would train like this, but I just think that even with a sound diet muscle can be lost with to much HIIT. Running distance though I think does burn more muscle. The distance runners always looked sick because they were so scrawny.
Oh hell bro I totally agree there...2-3 hours a day for 6-days a week??? You'd lose muscle if you weight trained like that! For a bodybuilder, cardio of any type shouldnt exceed 45 min per session, IMO. I keep mine around 30.

BV

FreshMintBlue

Awards
Oh hell bro I totally agree there...2-3 hours a day for 6-days a week??? You'd lose muscle if you weight trained like that! For a bodybuilder, cardio of any type shouldnt exceed 45 min per session, IMO. I keep mine around 30.

BV
HIIT 30 min? you cannot be serious, I cannot go more than 15 min lol or I start puking.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
HIIT 30 min? you cannot be serious, I cannot go more than 15 min lol or I start puking.
Yeah I can get to 20 or so then I have to do mid-intensity up to 30:D

WannaGro

Board Supporter
Awards
You definitely have to work up to it, doing what I was in track, during conditioning, puking everyday the first week was normal. 20 to 30 minutes shouldn't be that bad though. I would say have you (active = jogging)rest between sprints be longer at first and then decrease the rest time as you increase your sprint time. This way you'll get your target time, and just work up the intesity as you get into better condition.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
You definitely have to work up to it, doing what I was in track, during conditioning, puking everyday the first week was normal.
This makes me think of running hills when I was playing college basketball. Every single freshman or transfer was sure to puke the first few times. It was hilarious cuz we were all there at one time or another. :icon_lol:

WannaGro

Board Supporter
Awards
Yeah idunk hills are fun and so are stairs, it brings back memories.

BIGnaturalBROCK

Awards
EDIT:

Sorry guys for the missing stats, thanks for all the help.

Height: 1.86 cm
Weight: 209 pounds

The reason I'm asking is because I cannot see any or very littler results after 2 weeks cardio in the morning.

I have enough fat around my belly that I cannot see my abs.

I did read up on slow cardio and most people agree that around 3Mph is the best way to go and that you ONLY see results after a couple of weeks, I'm neverless afraid that I waste time until the summer.

Here is my diet and my workout/cardio plan:

Cardio every morning around 08.00 concist of:
45 min walking on Treadmill around 3 mph.

Diet:

Right after Cardio: Protein Shake with water

50g Oat meal
1 medium Apple
200g Egg whites
Multivitamin
Glutamin
Cee Creatin

200g Turkey Breast grilled
200g Frozen Veggies
100g white rice (brown is way to expensive here)

2 slices brown bread with NATURAL Penut butter

50g Oats
1 medium apple
Skimmed milk

After Workout
1 Protein Shake with water

200g Turkey Breats
1 Salad
2 Table spoon Olive Oil
1 Table spoon Vinegar

Before bed:
2 Flaxseed Oil casules
2 Omega 3 casules

Any help is deeply apreachiated..... do i waste my time or can I get ripped untill August ?
first things first, try that whey shake when you wake up,
and 3 miles... you could speed that up.
wanted to note, your meal frequency is great,
also try eating at least 100 g of cottage cheese before bed.
more carbs post-workout.
if you cut your calories drastically and jump into more activity than you are used to at the same time, your body may become very resistant to fat loss.

how is your weight training?

FreshMintBlue

Awards
first things first, try that whey shake when you wake up,
and 3 miles... you could speed that up.
wanted to note, your meal frequency is great,
also try eating at least 100 g of cottage cheese before bed.
more carbs post-workout.
if you cut your calories drastically and jump into more activity than you are used to at the same time, your body may become very resistant to fat loss.

how is your weight training?
Hi
I changed from always walking to 1 day walking one day HIIT bike 15 min 30sec sprint 30sec slow (and here I was hoping I NEVER have to do HIIT again :rolleyes:)...

I also checked my daily Calorie intake (I have posted the link I cannot post in the thread were I ask people to check my food please) as you can see IF the Calorie figures are right I eat around 2500 Calories...is that to much for cutting in your guys opinion ?
Problem is if you have a look at the link, i have no idea were I can take anything out since all food I eat is super healty

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
Fresh, Have any of you ever seen sprinters? They are all ripped ****. They must be doing something right. Anyway, Their workouts consist of ladders which if you break it down, consists of HITT training and mild intensity cardio which is kind of like what you are doing on the bike. I think you will see results with that.

as for your calories, it depends on your size. I burn 3000 if I don't do anything in a day. So 2400 would be a good number for me. But If I start in with weights or hockey, I have to keep my calories higher even when I want to lose weight.

WannaGro

Board Supporter
Awards
When I was a sprinter we called them accelerations, we would sprint 100m the jog 100m, then sprint, then jog and so on. Its rough, but you do get ripped as hell.

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
exactly, except some would ladder up 25m sprint, 25m jog, 50m sprint, 50 m jog, 100m, 200m and so forth. and back down.

WannaGro

Board Supporter
Awards
Oh we only did the 100 and 200, then the mid distance guys did 200s and 400s. We never did the ladder thing. We did do the ladder for Basketball and for soccer too, but for both we would run to the different lines on the court/field. Track the point was to be able to run your particular race and then be able to recover from that race as quickly as possible, so the time allowed to jog was decreased every practice.