what do you guys think my bodyfat is?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.97%

what do you guys think my bodyfat is?

I posted a couple days ago about my cutting diet and got really good info from guys on this board, thank you!!!

Most of my life I just trained for basketball since I played in highschool and college, and I was pretty lean then at around 175lb and 6'3. after that I kept pretty lean then last year decided to bulk.

I pretty much ate anything under the sun bulking the last 6-8 months,alot of junk food. Which i learned later is not the proper way to bulk, and my training was way off!

But I did gain weght, from 170's to around 209 and now around 204-205

My question is what body fat am I, a trainer at my gym said probably around 18% what do you guys think?

Here are some recent pics 6'3 204lb, 56k beware:
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.54%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

18-20%. first shot is the best indicator but you're covering your stomach, lol. that's my best guesstimate though.
  3. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.4%

I would say something closer to 15 or lower.
    •   

4. King Kong
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.96%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Im gonna have to go with @18ish.
  5. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.4%

Obliques are 20%? I am confused.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6%

I'd say your trainer was close if not right on Tegman. You have a solid base to work with. A good meal regimeny of 400 to 450 grams of protein, 100 to 150 grams of fat, and the right supplementation and you are on your way. Good luck and best wishes!
  7. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.76%

I would say closer to 16 than 18. Stand relaxed and do front, side, and back shots. Arms at your sides also relaxed. Its really alot harder to judge by pic if your flexing.
  8. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.31%

I'm going with 15-16
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  9. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.7%
    Achievements Posting Pro

My first guess was about 15. Get a bio electric impedance scale if you have $80 to burn, and some calipers for $10 and do a quick 5 or 7 point test if you want to know for sure. I got some calipers and they seem pretty accurate. The BEI scale is accurate for normal body types as yourself.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.97%

so somewhere n between 16-18%. I am getting some calipers soon, so I can get a definitive answer but thanks for the feedback.

Another question, how many pounds a week can you safely lose Without losing to much muscle?
  11. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.31%

Quote Originally Posted by tegman
    so somewhere n between 16-18%. I am getting some calipers soon, so I can get a definitive answer but thanks for the feedback.

Another question, how many pounds a week can you safely lose Without losing to much muscle?
    1 to 2 lbs
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.97%

I remembered my bro has a tanita bei scale so I borrowed it and took some measurements.

The instructions say to use athletic mode if around 15% and be well hydrated, I drink 120oz of water a day and my urine is clear, so im pretty sure I am hydrated

First measurment: 13.6%

Second: 13.9%

Third: 13.9%

Interesting results, I have calipers coming soon so I can compare the two methods.

I have always had more fat around my waist then anywhere else on my body. When i gain fat it goes there first and its the hardest thing for me to lose also.

I would think calipers would be more accurate because the multiple measurments take into account fat distribution, which is different for everyone correct?
  13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.65%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Those impedence scales can be misleading I think. One showed me at about 18.5 % and my buddy who is ripped with almost no visable fat at 22% The only good thing is that I started at 22.5% so regardless of what I am actually, I still lost some :P
  14. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.7%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    Those impedence scales can be misleading I think. One showed me at about 18.5 % and my buddy who is ripped with almost no visable fat at 22% The only good thing is that I started at 22.5% so regardless of what I am actually, I still lost some :P
    Im guessing you didnt set the scale to athletic mode. If you have any muscle on your frame at all, you have to set up with athletic body type. The scale is not perfect, but somewhat useful. According to the damn scale I can gain or lose 12 pounds of lean mass in one day. But when i take my late afternoon reading im always about the same. And my calipers are right on with my best readings from the scale. I wouldnt use the scale to accurately measure your BF alone, just as a progress measurement.
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.12%

I was thinking 14-15%
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.97%

From what I have been reading, bioelectric impedance analysis is extremely dependent of hydration. The technique measures the amount of resistance that a current occurs when traveling through your body. Since lean mass is about 70% water and fat mass is less then 6% water, the current encounters an extreme resistance in fat, and minor resistance in lean mass. So as you see proper hydration is an extremely important part of measuring using this technique. If you believe your readings are off, chances are it is not due to a defect in the device but the fact that you are dehydrated so you should attempt to rehydrate yourself. An easy fairly good indicator of hydration is urine, it should be clear.

This is also backed up in the Tanita manual. It says morning measurements will not be accurate because you are much more dehydrated in the morning. For the best mesurements it says to use it in the evening, since you are much more likely to be well hydrated at that time. It's also a good idea to make sure you have not eaten food for at least 3 hours since that will also influence readings negatively.
  17. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.31%

Colored urine is by no means a "the" sign of dehydration. B vitamins in praticular are water soluble and will color your urine even while completely hydrated. Just drink a gallon or more a day and you will be fine. I drink almost 2 gallons and still have colored pee. FWIW
  18. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I'd say ~15%
  19. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.28%

Quote Originally Posted by BigVrunga
    I'd say ~15%
    word.
  20. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.76%

Most of the impeadance scales, have an * next to the description of atheletic mode stating that the athletic mode is for runners and not people with increased bone density and not people that weight train or body build. I have tried a few different ones and all had a similar statement in the small print. Also I do the water test, since most good ones give a reading on Body water. What I do is take a measure in the evening, then drink a cup of water, then remeasure, and repeat this about 3 or 4 times, every 5 minutes or so. If it works well then body water will increase and lean body mass will stay constant even though weight will change. So BF% will go up when you drink the water.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-12-2007, 09:06 PM
  2. What do you guys think is better?
    By Bobby Nevada in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 09:40 PM
  3. What do you guys think about my Diet plan?
    By Changing in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-05-2005, 07:28 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 10:33 AM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 02:51 AM