A little trick to make ground beef really lean.

1. Registered User
    Answers

A little trick to make ground beef really lean.

This is pretty easy to do and eliminates almost all of the fat from ground beef... Here's how it works:

break up your ground beef as much as possible into tiny pieces and put it into a frying pan. Lightly brown the meat, then add enough water to just barely immerse it. Cook the meat with the water in the pan for a few minutes while stirring then drain the water off. You may repeat this process as many times as needed until the water you drain off no longer has an oily layer on top, and does not appear cloudy. Once you've done your final drain, just finish browning with no water in the pan for a minute or two. Voila, instant 97%+ fat free hamburger meat. Doesn't help if you want to make hamburgers but it's pretty useful for adding to recipes.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Answers

thats very interesting and useful. How did you come up with this?
  3. CDB
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023
    thats very interesting and useful. How did you come up with this?
    Standard practice for home made tacos.
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Answers

Or just put the ground beef in a drainer an dput it under the tap of hot watter(hotter the better) and just move it around and than u can cook the meat how u want
  5. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by gixxman
    Or just put the ground beef in a drainer an dput it under the tap of hot watter(hotter the better) and just move it around and than u can cook the meat how u want
    A friend of mine soaks his hamburger in hot water but I found when I tried that you still end up with a pretty significant amount of fat. I'll give this a try though.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  140 lbs.
    Answers

kitchen paper is good. tip the meat out wrap it up and chuck a tea towel on it for a few mins - takes a lot of the fat out.
  7. Registered User
    Answers

Wow this saves a lot of money actually, so now I can just regular 80% and make it 97%, thanks exnihlo
  8. Gold Member
    Answers

Bought like 5 lbs. of ground beef at Costco last night. It's the 12% fat stuff. Cooked and drained it twice, works awsome. thanks Ex
  9. Gold Member
    Stats
    6'0"  222 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by exnihilo
    A friend of mine soaks his hamburger in hot water but I found when I tried that you still end up with a pretty significant amount of fat. I'll give this a try though.
    You don't soak, but keep it moving under hot tap water.
  10. Board Supporter
    Answers

Or just raise your own black angus cattle, and kill one and get 400 lbs of meat, 1/2 of which is hamburger - and VIOLA instant unlimited supply of 98% fat free hamburger!
  11. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Mach .78
    Bought like 5 lbs. of ground beef at Costco last night. It's the 12% fat stuff. Cooked and drained it twice, works awsome. thanks Ex
    Would it really come out to better pricing? I mean, i thought the more fat the more weight? Plus, higher fat meats intend to shrink more as well so you would kinda get the same amount, or no? Correct me if I'm wrong.
  12. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Magickk
    Or just raise your own black angus cattle, and kill one and get 400 lbs of meat, 1/2 of which is hamburger - and VIOLA instant unlimited supply of 98% fat free hamburger!
    I live in Alberta, Canada (no mad cow jokes, it's all sanitary..lol) so buying wholesale cattle meat really is relatively inexpensive compared to other places...And the meat you get is so amazingly mouthwatering..
  13. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetik
    Would it really come out to better pricing? I mean, i thought the more fat the more weight? Plus, higher fat meats intend to shrink more as well so you would kinda get the same amount, or no? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    The 80-85% lean beef is usually about half the price of the 96% per pound. This saves me a little cash.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Answers

Great idea exnihilio, that's a good cash saving technique
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

I take a strainer and run hot water through it thentake paper towels and push into the meat soaking up the grease and pushing what it doesn't soak through the strainer. It's a little more work but if you do it right and finish browning the meat you won't see any grease in the pan.
  16. Registered User
    Answers

what about squeezing the raw ground beef under hot water before cooking it. ive done this a few times and u can see all the fat come out. then i form a patty add some spice and make a patty on the G.F
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 82
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 06:40 PM
  2. How to make Testosterone from 4AD. Very Easily.
    By Jones111 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-18-2010, 12:59 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-08-2007, 05:01 PM
  4. Little Evidence to Support Low-Carbohydrate Diets
    By Dr of Golf in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-24-2003, 02:23 PM
  5. How to make an avatar
    By Nelson in forum General Chat
    Replies: 28