will i ever lose my ab/love handles fat?

spitboy2000

Board Supporter
Awards
been cutting for about a year -- 40/40/20...500 below maintenance...but my body doesn't like to lose its fat...got like an inch of fat around my waist that doesn't wanna go away...also upper chest fat...im pretty low weight now too 6'0 160...suggestions? should i start bulkin and then try to cut again???

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
160 at 6'0! Crap you are skinny. I'm 5'11 at 210 (given I'm a fatty), you need to start with the lean bulking. If it's that important to you and that's what you are going for, you need to implement some HIIT, even morning HIIT if your schedule permit. This 4x a week should take care of your problem.

But really, at your weight, you need some damn meat on you.

goes4ever

Awards
  • Established
yeah I agree you need mass, if you up your lean mass, it will be easier to lose fat. I feel small and I am 190 at 5'10

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
been cutting for about a year -- 40/40/20...500 below maintenance...but my body doesn't like to lose its fat...got like an inch of fat around my waist that doesn't wanna go away...also upper chest fat...im pretty low weight now too 6'0 160...suggestions? should i start bulkin and then try to cut again???
No one has brought up - and you didn't mention any differently...

If you have been "cutting" at 500 below for a year.. your body has probably said it's had enough. Switch it up for a while.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Yeah definitely time to switch it up. But overall caloric intake isn't always the problem. You have to take into account training and types of foods eaten. Post up your detailed diet as well as your training regimen and I will attempt to help you as best possible.

I would definitely recommend a lean bulk though. You have to remember that your body can increase cortisol quite high in a hypocaloric event, especially when it is for a long period of time, thank evolution for that one. Also sounds like you may be slightly endo (just by the fact you havent lost the fat with a hypocaloric diet after this long), this could mean your good hormones (test.) and your bad hormones (estrogen, etc.) have an unfavorable ratio for losing fat easily. What supps are you currently taking.

spitboy2000

Board Supporter
Awards
i've mostly been on e/c and fish oil/sesathin... i am slightly endo -- never been defined...always holding subQ fat even when i was at 145...

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
At 500 calories below maintenance for a year, my guess is that your maintenance calorie level has adjusted (body slowed metabolism in response to prolonged caloric deficit).

From what I have read (and some personal experience), the way to get over these plateaus is to change up the exercise routine. Stress your body in new ways and that kinda shocks the system out of its equilibrium.

Best of luck.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Other guys have made good suggestions.

I'm surprised you haven't tried out Lipoderm-Ultra, though.

spitboy2000

Board Supporter
Awards
i felt i was holding too much fat all over to try that -- i mean, im smooth lots of places...

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
those are the last things to go.....and u might need to adjust your diet some.

and/or spooky lipoderm ultra.....look into that some.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
Seriously.... I think you should stick to protein.... save your money for Bobo.

The money is more than worth it. Your diet is definately off and the info you would take away would be priceless alone.

As soon as I have the time that is going to be my next "supplement" purchase.

The Godfather

Awards
If you are determined to lose that bit of fat before bulking then I would say go on a 2-week break from dieting as your metabolism is definately going to be shot from a year of dieting.

You may even find that an increase of food will cause more fat loss then after that break is over you can go back to cutting but you will need to work out your new maintenace calorie level because as people said if you have lost weight your energy expenditure is going to have changed.

What sort of BF% are you at? If it is pretty low then when you get back into cutting you may want to go for a weekly refeed day (low fat, high carb and sufficient protein at above maintenance calories) as that may help improve your hormonal milieu

skull

skull

Awards
  • Established
ok this post got thinking,is it better to go after the thyroid to lose BF?/or is it better to use somthing [anabolics] to up your protien synthisis which in turn will kick up your matabolism[like a cutter]?the combo didnt work for me after 2 weeks felt like ****[seemed like my thyroid was eating up my muscle]at 41 years old seems like my matab is slowing down more and more.I did a cal chart[ and I eat clean] with the cals I take in I should only weigh 230 and Im 240 and prob 18% BF.Ive recently [4 months] stopped a low carb diet and added some complex carbs also added some GLXR which seems to help.I also use a EC stack in the morning with cardio and WL.And was using ATD twice a week to keep estrogen low.Now Im trying a mild AS/? MAX LMG [not ERGO]to try and get cut. Thats me in advatar and Im prob 5-10 pnd heavyr now. I know Im ramblin here but any advise welcome.oyea somthin I left out I get well over 1gm per pnd of BW[didnt mean to hijack post]

The Godfather

Awards
ok this post got thinking,is it better to go after the thyroid to lose BF?/or is it better to use somthing [anabolics] to up your protien synthisis which in turn will kick up your matabolism[like a cutter]?the combo didnt work for me after 2 weeks felt like ****[seemed like my thyroid was eating up my muscle]at 41 years old seems like my matab is slowing down more and more.I did a cal chart[ and I eat clean] with the cals I in I should only
Well I would have said a combo of the two if you hadn't said that didnt work for you - not sure why it shouldn't

The body decreases T3 production while you are in a calorie deficit particualrly to decrease muscle loss so just supplementing with exogenous T3 may help increase your metabolic rate but it is going to get rid of that defense mechanism against protein loss.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
magic 8-balls says

not likely :D (i crack myself up)

anyhoo, sounds like it's definately time to switch it up bruthaman. jonesers, lakemountd, and yeahright are right on the money. 500 below maintenance can't possibly work forever, and your maintenance cals have undoubtedly adjusted. can't fight millions of years of evolution, survival instinct.

skull

skull

Awards
  • Established
Well I would have said a combo of the two if you hadn't said that didnt work for you - not sure why it shouldn't

The body decreases T3 production while you are in a calorie deficit particualrly to decrease muscle loss so just supplementing with exogenous T3 may help increase your metabolic rate but it is going to get rid of that defense mechanism against protein loss.
JTLYN -I was using trimax with max lmg at that time [if it makes a dif]with well over 1gm of pro per BW

skull

skull

Awards
  • Established
JTLYN -I was using trimax with max lmg at that time [if it makes a dif]with well over 1gm of pro per BW
And what always happens when you stop thyriod med? for about 2 weeks- till your natural thyroid comes back you gain the fat back