Fat college kid, seeking a diet plan/advice

jaga1a2

Awards
Sorry to bother you guys, but I need to change my body.

It's pretty pathetic. I weigh 165 but have no defined muscles really. I have a lot of fat. I look skinny in clothes, but with a shirt off it is pretty embarassing.

I've started running 3-4 times a week for about 30 mins.
Each time followed by a lifting regimen that consists of mostly upper body / back / arm exercises, that lasts 45min.

I haven't ate well for a LONG time, but have changed that over the past 3 weeks.

I didn't research it though, and basically I just cut my calories by about 1/3.

Usually no breakfast.
Beef Jerky for snacks
Lunch: Chicken ceasar salad
Dinner: Steak hoagie (11%fat)
----------------------------------------------------------

Basically, I need a lot of help. I don't know if anyone is willing to write up something for me such as diet and exercise plan. So far my exercise and diet has been so unorganized, and I find myself getting really hungry and eating things I shouldn't.

Maybe if I had a plan/schedule I could eat well.

I'm looking for foods that are easy to prepare. I don't have a stove/oven at school, just a microwave. I will have a stove/oven Thursdays - Sundays though.

I know this is a lot to ask, but any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm not looking to get BIG, muscle wise. Just looking to build some muscle, lose all this excess fat, and get some definition.

THANKS A MILLION!

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
spend a lot of time in the nutrition sub forum. there's too much sh1t in your post to discuss so your best bet is just to read, figure out what you think is a good diet based off of what you read, post it up, then it'll get critiqued. JMO.

jaga1a2

Awards
Maybe I should just ask:

If you had alot of body fat, and your situation sounded remotely close to mine, could you post up the diet you used?

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
In college (right now) my diet has never been better. I will assume you don't have a meal plan?

jaga1a2

Awards
Have a meal plan.
Nice to see a fellow SigEp.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Maybe I should just ask:

If you had alot of body fat, and your situation sounded remotely close to mine, could you post up the diet you used?
i said READ the nutrition forum before posting up a new diet. if someone is nice enough to post every damn thing about dieting on this thread, then all the power to em. but if you won't even take the time to do some reading on your own, then i say to hell with it. if you don't take the time, why should anyone else?

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i said READ the nutrition forum before posting up a new diet. if someone is nice enough to post every damn thing about dieting on this thread, then all the power to em. but if you won't even take the time to do some reading on your own, then i say to hell with it. if you don't take the time, why should anyone else?

Hey, settle down Beelzebub! hehe. I haven't had any carbs for 12 hours and I'm not even that crabby. :icon_lol:

Read the nutrition forum: yes.
You can post your diet here if you would like, others are always willing to help.

Also... Welcome to the forum.

jaga1a2

Awards
Thanks Brent:

Here's a base I put together, I posted it in a new thread below

Background:
165 lb. male, age 20
Lots of body fat, mainly on stomach, some on chest, some under triceps, love handles -> the works.

Looking to cut the fat this summer, and add some muscle.

__________________________________________________ _
Meal 1:
Oatmeal
Quaker Instant Oatmeal Express: Baked Apple flavor
200 Calories
2.5g fat
42g carbs
4g protein

2 glasses water
+Probably need to eat something else for breakfast,
not a big fan of egg whites, but will eat hardboiled eggs
Suggestion?

Lowfat Cottage Cheese (not sure how much to eat) 1/2 cup is:
90 calories
2g fat
12g protein
2 glasses water
__________________________________________________ __
Meal 3: * LUNCH *

Skinless chicken breasts
Tyson Brand
4oz = 1 serving
110 calories
1.5g fat
24g Protein
2 glasses water

Could someone reccommend how much to eat?
Meal 4:

Some type of Shake
Reccommendations?

Meal 5: * DINNER *

Need Suggestions

Lean Steak?
Veggies
Which Type?
How much?

2 glasses water

Open to suggestions?

Exercise plan
Cardio 5 days a week -> 30 minutes running
Lifting Upper body

Thanks a ton for suggestions. Feel free to add, subtract, anything. If you add anything, could you please provide a Brand name so I can look up nutrition facts? (I'd like to total everything up to see how it looks)

THANKS!!!!!

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You are really going to have to post some goals for us to help you with your diet.
Do you want to
a - add muscle and bulk up?
b - lose fat and lose weight?
c - none of the above?

jaga1a2

Awards
Definetly not bulk up.

Main goal -> lose excess fat.
Secondary -> Build muscle, enough to see some definition.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're gonna need more calories than you have especially with the cardio.

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lift weights first then do cardio, helps preserve more lbm and lose fat a lot more than they way you are doing it right now

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
have you tried a nutrition calculator to find your bmr and go from there?

The meal plan you laid out if I counted correctly is barley breaking 1000 which is wayyyy to low.

Use http://michaelandkendra.com/BMRCALC/bmrcalc.htm to find your bmr and then subtract 500 or so cals from it. Use complex carbs (oats, brown rice, w/w bread; not that quaker flavored sh**), eat 1.5-6 g of protein per pound, and limit fats to health monounsaturated fats (olive oil, efa pills, salmon).

By the way your talking you want to loose the fat AND THEN build a bit of muscle. At this stage in the game loosing fat while gaining muscle isnt going to happen.

I hope this helps a little

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Meal 1:
Oatmeal
Quaker Instant Oatmeal Express: Baked Apple flavor
200 Calories
2.5g fat
42g carbs
4g protein

2 glasses water
+Probably need to eat something else for breakfast,
not a big fan of egg whites, but will eat hardboiled eggs
Suggestion?

***Get ride of oatmeal express bs and use rolled oats. Try to get down some egg whites and a protein shake and this will be solid.

Lowfat Cottage Cheese (not sure how much to eat) 1/2 cup is:
90 calories
2g fat
12g protein
2 glasses water

***Save the c/c for later in the day imo. If possible try to go with some chicken or tuna here in a w/w wrap or on some w/w bread if possible. Try to add fiberouse veggies if you can as well.
Meal 3: * LUNCH *

Skinless chicken breasts
Tyson Brand
4oz = 1 serving
110 calories
1.5g fat
24g Protein
2 glasses water

Could someone reccommend how much to eat?

***Depends on the rest of your breakdown on cals and stuff during the day. Maybe go with 6 or so oz of the chicken, some veggies, and maybe some complex carbs (once again if its fitting into your breakdown)
Meal 4:

Some type of Shake
Reccommendations?

***Try to make meals whole foods when ever possible. If a shake is all you can manage go with a quality wpi and maybe grind up some oats or something
Meal 5: * DINNER *

Need Suggestions

Lean Steak?
Veggies
Which Type?
How much?

2 glasses water

***Sirloin (4-6 oz), broccoli and asparagus, and idk when your doing cardio or youir lifting but if this is after lifting then try and get some complex carbs.

Open to suggestions?

***use the cottage cheese hear. go with a 1/2 cup to 1 cup and eat some almonds with it. The almonds are calorie dense (which you will need seeing yor 1000 cal diet now) and it will slow the protein even more for the night.

Exercise plan
Cardio 5 days a week -> 30 minutes running
Lifting Upper body

Thanks a ton for suggestions. Feel free to add, subtract, anything. If you add anything, could you please provide a Brand name so I can look up nutrition facts? (I'd like to total everything up to see how it looks)

THANKS!!!!!

answers in side quote

jaga1a2

Awards
Thanks man. Helps alot. I'm going to build this diet on fitday.com and post back the results/ratios.

jaga1a2

Awards
Also: Is it cool to just eat a couple of slices of whole wheat bread instead of making a wrap or something?

What are some complex carbs?

jaga1a2

Awards
Problem here with oats:

The premade, ready to mix quaker flavored oatmeal is
200 cals. for 1 cup.

Steel Oats are
150 cals for 1/4 cup.

Quaker Old Fashioned oats
150 cals for 1/2 cup

Seems like the premade flavored **** is the best choice here? Can someone explain ?

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
flavored generally means sugared. i use the regular ol' fashioned oats.

jaga1a2

Awards
Ok, cool. Fitday has a default of a 1/2 cup serving. How much do you usually eat?

Also, can anyone recommend a (cheap) shake? I've heard not to use Meal Replacement shakes, and to go with Isolates.

Does WPI stand for Whey Protein Isolate?

THANKS!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i use optimum nutrition. they can found on the board sponsor boards.

jaga1a2

Awards

I will probably need to add another meal.

Does ordering of meals matter?

I can eat meal 1 at the same time everyday

Some days I will work 7a - 3p
Others I will work 3p - 9p

No microwave at work. Do have a fridge.

I figure I can eat the w/w bread, oats (can you just eat oats plain? I don't care if its bland as hell), celery, carrots, protein shake.

Oh well, I'll figure that out after I get my diet to the point where you guys think it will be ok :D

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just skimming over it... more healthy fats wouldn't hurt. Maybe replace some unsaturated fats with the fat from the steak.

jaga1a2

Awards
are you saying scrap the steak completely and add some other fats?

Could you recommend some?

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just have never been a fan of fat from meats. Others my correct me.

I get my fats from the following sources...
Fish Oil
Sesamin
almonds
cottage cheese

I do not take much fat in at all when I think about it.
I think your diet is pretty solid from what is posted. I think training will get you where you want to be. Buy a nice road bike and you will disappear in no time. (my muscles disappeared in no time too, lol)

powerfiend

Awards
Looks like people have already given you a lot of helpful nutrition info... One thing I noticed is you said you lift for the upper body. What about the lower body? You can go heavier with the lower body thus build more muscle which in turn will burn more calories. The squat and deadlift are great overall body exercises that will help you lose fat. At least for me when I started deadlifting and squatting I lost fat and put on muscle. They are compund movements so you will get a lot more out of them then an isolation movement just for your upper body like bicep curls or pec flys. But make sure you use proper form for squats and deads. If you don't know proper form find someone to teach you.

Good luck with you new nutrition plan and workouts.

jaga1a2

Awards
Thanks

Basically, I plan to workout after meal 3, which is chicken breast, carrots, and celery.

Some days this will be the second meal I eat (when I work 3-9).

Meal 1 is always the same, and it has the protein shake in it.

Is there something specific I should eat Pre workout / Post workout?
Is the chicken breast/celery/carrots OK for pre?
What about post? Some days (work 3p - 9p) post workout I have down: W/W bread and carrots and celery. Other days (work 7a-3p) I have steak sirloin, pasta, veggies.

Should I be adding in a shake after my workout? It looks like I can afford to add some cals.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is my diet tailored to my work schedule - feel free to add anything
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Work 7a - 3p

6am
Oats
Egg whites
Whey Protein Shake

9am
W/W Bread
Celery
Carrots

12pm
What should I eat here? I'm at work, no microwave, only fridge. Dry foods or veggies
would be easy

3pm
Skinless chicken breast
Carrots
Beans
------------------------------------------------------------------
WORKOUT
------------------------------------------------------------------

4:15 - Whey Protein Shake right after workout

5pm
Beef - Sirloin
Pasta
Broccoli
Beans

9pm
cottage cheese
a few almonds

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Work 3p - 9p

9am
Oats
Egg whites
Whey protein shake

11:30am
Skinless chicken
carrots
beans

-------------------------------------------------
WORKOUT
-------------------------------------------------

1:30pm
Bread W/W
Carrots
Celery
Whey Protein Shake

6pm
At work - can only have dry foods, uncooked veggies. Reccomendations?

9pm
Beef sirloin
Pasta
Broccoli
Beans

11pm
Cottage Cheese
Almonds

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
good foods for travel - canned tuna, canned chicken, canned beans (black, pinto, or navy), whole wheat bagels, etc. i'm not too keen on that large portion of pasta so late in the day. i'd recommend at least cutting that in half. i totally understand the pack meals before you leave thing, i do the same. here's my diet, it may give you some ideas for food choices as i like simple **** that doesn't require much effort either.

meal 1
10 egg whites
1 cup oatmeal
1 scoop protein

meal 2
1 can tuna
1/2 can beans

meal 3
8oz ultra-lean burger
1 cup brown rice (texas pete hot sauce works great for this)

meal 4
1 can tuna
1/2 can beans

meal 5 (preWO)
2 scoops whey
1.5 cup oatmeal

meal 6 (postWO)
3 scoops whey
1.5 cup oatmeal

meal 7
8oz chicken (baked, broiled, etc.)
1 cup broccoli
10 grams flax oil (texas pete hot sauce works for this too)

meal 8
2 scoops whey
10 grams flax oil

meal 9 (usually around 3am)
1 scoop whey

totals:
4153 cals, 452 pro, 431 carb, 71.5 fat

~2 gallons of water per day

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Understand that Beelz diet would kill the average mortal.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
woah beelz,how much do you spend on food a week?
that's cheap bro. look at the food choices. for my wife and i, we spend about 70-80 bucks a week on groceries (protein powder excluded), i suspect 50 of that is mine. i wasn't suggesting that you use my diet verbatim but it's just an idea of cheap food sources that you can utilize if you saw fit. that is maintenance cals for me at 265lbs morning weight.

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
MY 2 cents would be that you go to www.allthewhey.com and pick up some of their whey protein blend. Chocolate flavor is great and is good to mix up a meal of oats, protein, and natty pb.

I attached my diet below; it gives you some good info of what to eat and the nutrition breakdown of everything (protein/carbs/fat). You wont need as many cals as Beezlebub...not even close.

Also there are many threads in the nutrition section with a whole list of clean foods to eat.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
might have to steal that salsa idea. nice looking diet. ;)

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
thanks. Seriously, salsa kicks ass. Sometimes I have a sweet onion salsa, sometimes I go with a HOT! one. My buddies mom made some from scratch and it rocked. I am seriously thinking about just making a gallon of my own spicy salsa. Im sure I could find a good recipe on the net if i tried for one second.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
your on the right track for getting a nice diet together.....which is nice to see instead of you wanting to jump right onto the supp/ph/aas bandwagon before you even know what a diet is.

as for protein powder....yes wpi= whey protein isolate

if u want a really nice, cheap protein then opt for Dymatize elite whey...it taste VERY good and its cost effective.

the diet Beez posted would kick ass for a first diet, i reccomend u try it out and work from there.

Oh, and if u just started out....ull be pleasently suprised with your body comp changes the first 2-4 months( maybe more) you can very easily gain LBM and lose fat.

good luck man

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I've had a bad experience with AlltheWhey (haven't posted at length about it so if anyone is interested PM me) so I can not recommend them - board sponsor or not.

Wal-Mart has these 3 lbs boxes of Designer Whey protein for $20. I got 2 of chocolate when they were on sale for $15.

And, you want a pre and post-WO meal? Check out Beelz's. Those are where it's at. (Except that you don't need 3 scoops of whey, one will suffice.) Those will work for you when you only have a fridge. Just put the 16 oz. of milk into a shaker bottle before you leave for work - then mix with some powder you put in a sandwich bag.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
I've had a bad experience with AlltheWhey (haven't posted at length about it so if anyone is interested PM me) so I can not recommend them - board sponsor or not.

Wal-Mart has these 3 lbs boxes of Designer Whey protein for $20. I got 2 of chocolate when they were on sale for $15.

And, you want a pre and post-WO meal? Check out Beelz's. Those are where it's at. (Except that you don't need 3 scoops of whey, one will suffice.) Those will work for you when you only have a fridge. Just put the 16 oz. of milk into a shaker bottle before you leave for work - then mix with some powder you put in a sandwich bag.
word, 3 scoops is a little excessive. only reason i'm doing it is to take full advantage of slin.

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
The on thing that you need to look into over calories is the Glycemic index that each food gives off. Normally more refined foods give off a higher insulin spike. Basically what this means is, is that your body can break this carb down into glucose rather readily and its way of counteracting hyperglycemia (which was induced by eating refine carbs i.e.-quaker flavored oatmeal) is to store it as adipose tissue. This is the last thing you want if you are trying to lose the adipose tissue.

You have to keep in mind even if you are in a coma, your body has a maintenace calorie range. If you are 20 at 165lbs and you are lets say six feet tall, with moderate exercise you should take in roughly 2800 kcal a day.

Your diet is super deficient in calories, you need to eat around 300-500 kcal under to start losing weight. If you drop lower than that your TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) might slowdown and that is also rather antagonistic.

Basic rules.

1.) If you are going to eat complex carbs, eat them with a lot of protein after you workout. Your insulin receptors are extremely up regulated at this point and this is where you should take them in. Im talking a couple pieces of bread or a banana, not a snickers bar.

2.) Eat a big breakfast, should be the big meal of the day.....Big within reason and macro breakdown.

3.) Eat clean, slow digesting protein at night....stay away from the carbs. Cottage cheese, with some essential fats (Fish or Flax) or a good casein blend protien shake.

Drink ATLEAST 1 gallon of water a day.

Your cardio should be low/moderate intensity

Dont go doing windsprints and indian runs, just get on a treadmill and walk a steady pace on a gradual incline. At this pace you should be able to carry on a convo while doing it.

Good luck, keep us posted.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
You're gonna have to eat to lose man, it looks like you're practically starving there.

Forgive us, but as you can see many of us have THOUSANDS of posts here and have written one too many diets, so it basically comes down to pay your dues in one way or another.

Lots of people invest in online trainers such as Bobo the board owner. In all honesty your best bet is to pay someone to get the results you want. Its not all that expensive and it wll save you TONS AND TONS of frustration.

Otherwise, I dont' care how smart or how dedicated you are, it'll take quite some time before you can educate yourself enogh to write efficient diet plans.

Now, no matter which route you go you're going to need to study, so like beelzeboob said...get readin' bud.

welcome to the forums...this is a great place for learning ;)