Weight Loss Schedule

rykertest

Awards
Hey guys, I need some help and I'll apol;ogize in advance for this novel of a post. Over the past 2-3 years, life in general has added about 40 lbs of pure disgusting fat. I have always lifted weights, but becoming ever so busy and what not, my diet has struggled to say the least. I have purchased some cardio equipment for home, and I need to lose weight. Well, I was doing pretty good this last winter and lost about 20.5 lbs in about 3 months mostly by cutting out fast food and portion control and running, not really lifting much at all. However, my body is really holding onto this last 20 lbs and it seems no matter what I do, it stays on or comes right back. I am barely able to fit my workouts in as it is with 2 jobs and kids and the wife etc, etc. I need to make the most of the 3-4 times a week I can workout. If I workout 4 times a week, how can I really make the most of this? My cardio is mostly low intensity but I do run from time to time to keep my ability to do so present. I will walk for about an hour at a pace that has me at 70% HR and that burns about 450 calories. I of course will use the search button to learn more but any feedback from more experienced guys is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hi,
You don't really mention your diet, and a couple of changes might be all you need with your current cardio schedule.
Do you log your food intake over the period of a day?
If you give us some more info we might be able to tweak your food a bit and you will get a shift in your weight.
KG

skelooth

Awards
I don't want to sound like the poster boy for ketogenic diets... but consider CKD, cyclic ketogenic dieting. It's very effective. As for making the most of your workouts, that's simple... LIFT. Lift hard, Lift Heavy. Cardio can be a second priority. You need to be lifting.

rykertest

Awards
So do you feel that lifting heavy and moderate pace caardio 3 times a week would be a good change up for my routine? One thing I have always struggled with is cardio and leg day. It always throws me off, But if I do legs on Friday and then have the weekend to rest them, it's not like walking for an hour would do any harm. I used to try and lift and run multiple times a week and that was not very wise looking back. Thanks for your input man, k to you.

rykertest

Awards
Hi,
You don't really mention your diet, and a couple of changes might be all you need with your current cardio schedule.
Do you log your food intake over the period of a day?
If you give us some more info we might be able to tweak your food a bit and you will get a shift in your weight.
KG
Hi...well what info can I provide for you to help? My diet per say has not been a strict diet. I don't eat junk food or soda or eat fast food, and I have one cheat meal on Sundays which is usually Olive Garden or IHOP. :woohoo: I eat 5-6 times a day with the mid afternoon meal consisting of a meal replacement shake and extra protein that gets me 90 grams of protein, along with the other meals of my day I am at almost 1 gram per lb of body weight. I do not do a log, but below is a typical day.

Meal 1 - whole wheat Bagel, with scrambled egg whites (4 of them) and some natural PB on the bagel and large glass of water, 1 cup black coffee. (some days I eat steel cut oats instead of the bagel)

Meal 2 - Banana and Low fat low sugar yogurt.

Meal 3 - 2 Chicken Breasts over baby spinich salad, fat free dressing and water

Meal 4 - MR shake and extra egg white protein

Meal 5 - Lean steak, some sort of veggie, and one whole wheat dinner roll, no butter, Or maybe some whole wheat pasta with red sauce and lean beek or turkey mixed in and a veggie.

Before bed - Some sort of protein (just a small amount) along with omega 3, 6 and 9, multi vitamin, policosinol.

I never really drink anything but water (about 3/4ths of a gallon a day) but sometimes will have about 6 OZ of OJ or cranberry juice with breakfast but thats only about 2-3 days a week at the most.

So, thats an average day for me. It is healthy eating compared to 90% of america, but my goal is to lose the weight. Maybe I need to increase the cardio or maybe the addition of weights will help burn off more calories?

Thanks for your feedback!

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hi...well what info can I provide for you to help? My diet per say has not been a strict diet. I don't eat junk food or soda or eat fast food, and I have one cheat meal on Sundays which is usually Olive Garden or IHOP. :woohoo: I eat 5-6 times a day with the mid afternoon meal consisting of a meal replacement shake and extra protein that gets me 90 grams of protein, along with the other meals of my day I am at almost 1 gram per lb of body weight. I do not do a log, but below is a typical day.

Meal 1 - whole wheat Bagel, with scrambled egg whites (4 of them) and some natural PB on the bagel and large glass of water, 1 cup black coffee. (some days I eat steel cut oats instead of the bagel)

Meal 2 - Banana and Low fat low sugar yogurt.

Meal 3 - 2 Chicken Breasts over baby spinich salad, fat free dressing and water

Meal 4 - MR shake and extra egg white protein

Meal 5 - Lean steak, some sort of veggie, and one whole wheat dinner roll, no butter, Or maybe some whole wheat pasta with red sauce and lean beek or turkey mixed in and a veggie.

Before bed - Some sort of protein (just a small amount) along with omega 3, 6 and 9, multi vitamin, policosinol.

I never really drink anything but water (about 3/4ths of a gallon a day) but sometimes will have about 6 OZ of OJ or cranberry juice with breakfast but thats only about 2-3 days a week at the most.

So, thats an average day for me. It is healthy eating compared to 90% of america, but my goal is to lose the weight. Maybe I need to increase the cardio or maybe the addition of weights will help burn off more calories?

Thanks for your feedback!
Great, this will help lots :)
You don't mention your weight or height, but that will let you or me work out your maintenance calorie requirement, from which we subtract 500 cals to get your weight loss cal amount.
For now I can tell you that you have a lot of sugar in your diet that you could easily cut out.
Cut the bagel, its a lot of calories and carbs and not worth it at all. Replace it with a serving of old fashioned oatmeal or stick with the steel cut (made with water).
Up the egg whites, there is nothing is egg whites, I eat at least 5 for breakfast and I am a girl! Go for at least 6 egg whites to start your day, a whole egg in there won't do any harm either.
Cut the banana and the yogurt too much sugar, both natural and sucrose.
If you want dairy then replace it with fat free cottage cheese, sweetened with splenda and cinnamon.
Throw in a banana protein shake instead.
Are your chicken breasts skinless? If so then great, also good on the spinach, great for vitamins and fibre.
Cut the fat free dressing, fat free usually means sugar loaded.
If you have to have dressing, make up a baslamic and olive oil combo, or season it with some dry seasoning.
Cut the dinner roll and replace with lashings of veggies instead (broccoli is my fave) and you should have enough tweaks to see a change even with your current excercise.
A lot of the sugar and carbs that you are eating are hidden, you may just not realise they were there.

It will probably help you a lot to log your diet on fitday.com, if you make it a public folder I can help and make suggestions along the way.

Hope that helps.
KG

skelooth

Awards
So do you feel that lifting heavy and moderate pace caardio 3 times a week would be a good change up for my routine? One thing I have always struggled with is cardio and leg day. It always throws me off, But if I do legs on Friday and then have the weekend to rest them, it's not like walking for an hour would do any harm. I used to try and lift and run multiple times a week and that was not very wise looking back. Thanks for your input man, k to you.
Definitely put your emphasis on lifting. I know personally I do not do cardio on the same day as legs, it seems counter productive.

rykertest

Awards
Great, this will help lots :)
You don't mention your weight or height, but that will let you or me work out your maintenance calorie requirement, from which we subtract 500 cals to get your weight loss cal amount.
For now I can tell you that you have a lot of sugar in your diet that you could easily cut out.
Cut the bagel, its a lot of calories and carbs and not worth it at all. Replace it with a serving of old fashioned oatmeal or stick with the steel cut (made with water).
Up the egg whites, there is nothing is egg whites, I eat at least 5 for breakfast and I am a girl! Go for at least 6 egg whites to start your day, a whole egg in there won't do any harm either.
Cut the banana and the yogurt too much sugar, both natural and sucrose.
If you want dairy then replace it with fat free cottage cheese, sweetened with splenda and cinnamon.
Throw in a banana protein shake instead.
Are your chicken breasts skinless? If so then great, also good on the spinach, great for vitamins and fibre.
Cut the fat free dressing, fat free usually means sugar loaded.
If you have to have dressing, make up a baslamic and olive oil combo, or season it with some dry seasoning.
Cut the dinner roll and replace with lashings of veggies instead (broccoli is my fave) and you should have enough tweaks to see a change even with your current excercise.
A lot of the sugar and carbs that you are eating are hidden, you may just not realise they were there.

It will probably help you a lot to log your diet on fitday.com, if you make it a public folder I can help and make suggestions along the way.

Hope that helps.
KG
Yes that helps and thank you again for your detailed and helpful reply. I didn't realize that much sugar was in there, I usually look for it too dangit! :blink:

Yes the chicken is skinless and I will adjust as you suggest. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Thanks again!

rykertest

Awards
So how long do you rest your legs after you lift? I hear some guys say you must take the day after legs off to rest them, what are your thoughts on this?

skelooth

Awards
Depends on how i feel. If I have any doms I don't do cardio the next day either. Otherwise I just do cardio the day after. For actual lifting I only work a muscle group once per week.

jaga1a2

Awards
Where do you get your skinless chicken breasts.

Anywhere to buy microwaveable skinless chicken breasts?

rykertest

Awards
Where do you get your skinless chicken breasts.

Anywhere to buy microwaveable skinless chicken breasts?

I just buy them in a bag of 12 for about 8 bucks at the store in the frozen food isle. Some brands have more sodium than others I have found and Tyson is ok. That and just regular chicken breasts and take the skin off myself if I have the time.