H.I.I.T post workout

Cutter

Awards
Hey people, for a few weeks now I have been doing H.I.I.T after my workouts to the point where I have to almost crawl back to my truck. I was wondering if i continue will I be seeing the best results possible. I do normally anywhere in between 10-18 minutes of hiit. Thanx for your comments and suggestions.

myfathersboy

Awards
  • Established
Hey people, for a few weeks now I have been doing H.I.I.T after my workouts to the point where I have to almost crawl back to my truck. I was wondering if i continue will I be seeing the best results possible. I do normally anywhere in between 10-18 minutes of hiit. Thanx for your comments and suggestions.
Not really sure I understand the question.....

At any rate, HIIT is groovy and all, but the only thing you should be doing directly after intense resistance training is EATING:burger:

In my humble opinion....

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I mix in some HIIT with some of my after workout cardio. I like having depleted glycogen stores from the resistance training to start using fat as a fuel source right away as opposed to after ~20 minutes. You will get conditioned fairly quickly if you stick to it and won't be crawlin to your truck.

Eating right after resistance training is great but the window is much wider than many preach as far as catabalism and glygogen replenishment are concerned IMO. As long as you are not maintaining the high intensity intervals for too long or hard (hard relating to HR) you will be fine. If you are going really intense for any extended periods a small serving of carbs is all you need between resistance and cardio or sip on them throughout your workout. It will not hurt to throw some protein or BCAA's in there as well but it is not essential.

Cutter

Awards
I mix in some HIIT with some of my after workout cardio. I like having depleted glycogen stores from the resistance training to start using fat as a fuel source right away as opposed to after ~20 minutes. You will get conditioned fairly quickly if you stick to it and won't be crawlin to your truck.

Eating right after resistance training is great but the window is much wider than many preach as far as catabalism and glygogen replenishment are concerned IMO. As long as you are not maintaining the high intensity intervals for too long or hard (hard relating to HR) you will be fine. If you are going really intense for any extended periods a small serving of carbs is all you need between resistance and cardio or sip on them throughout your workout. It will not hurt to throw some protein or BCAA's in there as well but it is not essential.

So would you consider 18 minutes a extended period of time? I started out doing jump rope and jogging as my intervals and I noticed just after a week I wasnt getting tired after 15 minutes of that and I was doing them as hard as I could go....so i changed it up and started sprinting to jogging and I could only handle 3 minutes of that:), but luckly I added that after the 15 minutes of Jumping/jogging.

Cutter

Awards
My question is...just to clarify.sorry for any confusion earlier...If I continue my H.I.I.T for a post workout cardio will I see the best possible results in my weight loss program?

That plus the obvious resistance training and a solid diet plan.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
My question is...just to clarify.sorry for any confusion earlier...If I continue my H.I.I.T for a post workout cardio will I see the best possible results in my weight loss program?

That plus the obvious resistance training and a solid diet plan.
For the best possible results I would go for low intensity cardio for longer duration or multiple sessions. Say 30 minutes in the AM and another 30 after weight training and on non weight training days do a 30 minute session and an hour session.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Post-workout cardio should be moderate intensity. If you want to do HIIT to help w/ nutrient repartioning and metabolism boosting, then devote a specific time to that.

Cutter

Awards
Post-workout cardio should be moderate intensity. If you want to do HIIT to help w/ nutrient repartioning and metabolism boosting, then devote a specific time to that.
Thanks again for your advice, but could you give me some examples of what you mean exactly....do you mean on the days that I do not workout that I should devote some time to cardio and if so what kind?

Cutter

Awards
For the best possible results I would go for low intensity cardio for longer duration or multiple sessions. Say 30 minutes in the AM and another 30 after weight training and on non weight training days do a 30 minute session and an hour session.
Thanx Bp for all of your advice :)

The Godfather

Awards
I would say if your schedule allow it don't do any cardio right after lifting but instead on seperate days. To se ea good effect from HIIT you need to be doing it for about 20 minutes so depending on your fitness you may only be able to do that once a week and then you should do some moderate intensity cardio (for a longer duration) 2-3x/week. As your fitness improves you sohuld replace one of the moderate sessions with a HIIT session.

Cutter

Awards
I would say if your schedule allow it don't do any cardio right after lifting but instead on seperate days. To se ea good effect from HIIT you need to be doing it for about 20 minutes so depending on your fitness you may only be able to do that once a week and then you should do some moderate intensity cardio (for a longer duration) 2-3x/week. As your fitness improves you sohuld replace one of the moderate sessions with a HIIT session.
My schedule doesnt really permit me to do longer cardio on my off days from working out, but like anyone that wants the results....I will make time for it.

So you think that I should be doing HIIT 2 times a week and have 1 moderate cardio day?

The Godfather

Awards
My schedule doesnt really permit me to do longer cardio on my off days from working out, but like anyone that wants the results....I will make time for it.

So you think that I should be doing HIIT 2 times a week and have 1 moderate cardio day?
Assuming you are going to be able to do the HIIT at a high enough intensity for at the very least 15 mins then yeah. Also you don't want to be knackering your joints so watch out for that especially if you are carrying quite a bit of excess weight

What's your HIIT workout in terms of work interval and rest interval durations?

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I agree, I'd hit 60-65% MHR after weights. HIIT on cardio only days or seperate workouts.