Can The Thyroid Permanently Shutdown?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.5%

Can The Thyroid Permanently Shutdown?

Can the thyroid gland permanently shutdown because of hard abuse of T3 and T4? Please provide PROOF, such as studies, textbooks on the web, anything that is credible included in your response. Thanks in advance.

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.05%

I'll try to find "published studies", but this is what I've read on most steroid profiles of the drugs.

Taken from mesomorphosis:

Those who take high dosages of Cytomel over a long period of time are at risk of developing a chronic thyroid insufficiency. As a consequence, the athlete might be forced to take thyroid medication for the rest of his life. It is also important that the dosage is reduced slowly and evenly by taking fewer tablets and not be ended abruptly. Those who plan to take Cytomel should first consult a physician in order to be sure that no thyroid hyper function exists.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.61%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Check out the late Karl Hoffman's (Nandi) article in Mind and Muscle Magazine. You will not cause your thyroid to shut down forever by using or abusing T3.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.06%

One of my buddies juiced quite a bit back in the early 90's and would often take thyroid drugs to lean out before a show. From what I understand, he abused these pretty bad and is now on prescribed Thyroid medication to keep him from blowing up. He has been visiting a doctor monthly for the past 8 years.

Gumbo
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.05%

that sucks
  6. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.8%

but then again you hear about guys doing roids for years and then having no sex drive after they stop cycling. i think all these drugs that have effects that come quickly have some long term issues too.
  7. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.33%

its quite possible if unreasonable amounts are used for a really long time.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.2%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

I dont think the thyroid shutsdown completely, but it can easily become sluggish and lead to hypothyroidism.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.23%

I remember reading on here, have to search, about people on therapy for years who discontinued with no adverse effects.

Of course, as always, moderation is key.
  10. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.38%

As always, if someone is prone to something and abuses a substance that goes in that direction, then of course the problem arises.

For example, if someone's test is on the low side and is somewhat in the process of going into low-testosterone a few years down the road, OF COURSE just ONE cycle might send him right there upon completion. Whenever that happens to someone, you hear about it, and you hear it a LOT. Of course that conflicts quite strongly with all the people who do cycle upon cycle and are just great after a normal PCT. Same thing for thyroid. Anyone who is prone to hypothyroidism and does a good long hard cycle of cytomel is greatly increasing the probability of thyroid malfunction.

Sadly, the only way to know if you are prone to hypothyroidism or hypogonadism is to do a cycle and if you don't recover even with a good PCT, then you know.
  11. Eh Hole Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.91%

There's never been a documented case of such happening, no.
  12. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.74%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

After several t-3 and trimax runs i've had blood work done and my thyroid is perfectly in the normal range. However, like someone posted above if you're prone to something you never know. Moderation and keeping up to date bloodwork is key.
  13. :::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.14%

I haven't read any documents saying it(t3 & t4 use) will permantely shut your thyroid down, but read from others(couple vets) that, they can cause permant shutdown. But like everyone else said, moderation of use is probably the key. If you are prone to get hypothyroidism then probably best to stay away. But the only way to know if you are is by doing a cycle of t3 & t4. These have been the reasons I have never touched the stuff.
  14. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.8%

i have done a cycle, and i feel as though i should stay away. my mom has to take it everymorning, and i think i made a STUPID mistake by doing a cycle of t3. we live and learn though. i will never touch the stuff again, and luckly i dont have problems now. It just seems like i hold fat a little more than i used to before the cycle....but this could be in my head.
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.23%

Quote Originally Posted by 400runner
    i have done a cycle, and i feel as though i should stay away. my mom has to take it everymorning, and i think i made a STUPID mistake by doing a cycle of t3. we live and learn though. i will never touch the stuff again, and luckly i dont have problems now. It just seems like i hold fat a little more than i used to before the cycle....but this could be in my head.
    I'd get bloodwork done to be sure. I have a feeling it's probably in your head. Unless you abused it.
    *edit*But then again, unless you had gotten work done before cycle, you won't have a baseline to go off of, so i guess its a moot point.

I have done a few of t3 cycles and i seem to keep the fat off even in the 3 weeks following discontinuance of the drug. I only use it once a year though, if that.
  16. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.91%

I personally do really short on/off cycles of t3 and I seem to be more thermic(I guess) after the short on period. This was the same as trimax was for me. I have a positive rebound I think, because a few days after coming off, I'll sweat my ass off thinking about cardio, and I see a slightly greater weight loss in the off days. I found some of Grunts posts on T3 helpful, I don't remember which thread it was in, maybe he can link it for you. It was about like 7 on 5 off I believe. this is similar to what I do and I works very well for me.

-WannaGro
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.64%

Hey folks - does this discussion include 7-Keto fat loss supplements? I have taken Beverly Internatonals 7-Keto for up to 3 months at a time. Not sure if I am having any problems - trying to loose some fat now, using CLA and that companies Lean Out. All non-thermogeics.
  18. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.38%

7-keto can be considered a little bit like a thyroid PCT product, a lot like ATD is to testosterone. So in fact, you are running the thyroid equivalent of a partial NHA stack... If you know what I mean...
  19. Eh Hole Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.91%

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles13
    I haven't read any documents saying it(t3 & t4 use) will permantely shut your thyroid down, but read from others(couple vets) that, they can cause permant shutdown. .....These have been the reasons I have never touched the stuff.
    Ask these so-called "Vets" to provide some proof of such claims, and see what they provide. BTW, back's looking ripped.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  231 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.32%

Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC
    Ask these so-called "Vets" to provide some proof of such claims, and see what they provide. BTW, back's looking ripped.

Lol, Blown, I think that's Dexter's back.

I totally agree with Blown here. Who are these "vets" you speak of that make this claim?
  21. :::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.14%

Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC

Like UB, said, it's DJ's back not mine. I'll check in with the 'vets' I am referring too to see if he has any proof of it.
  22. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.58%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Two cycles of Trimax under my belt. 5 weeks and 4 weeks... and NO issues with Thyroid whatsoever. After reading about as much as I can about the thyroid, I think it's a very rare case indeed when the thyroid doesn't come fully back. Some take longer to recover, but I don't believe you'll be shut down permanantly.

Of course, you never know.....
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.61%

Well, to me it doesn't make sense that the thyroid would spontaneously shut down. Your body detects the presence of exogenous T3 and stops making it's own. Then, when the exogenous T3 is gone, your thyroid goes back to work. Pretty basic.
    Now, taking a very high amount may cause some unsettling of your body's thyroid "thermostat" and consequently lead to decreased production. But I've seen no studies to say one way or the other.

Similar Forum Threads

1. thermogenic usage and the thyroid
    By Crimson_Soul in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-23-2005, 11:42 PM
  2. Clen Shuts Down the Thyroid???
    By supersoldier in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-28-2004, 06:53 PM
  3. The Thyroid Handbook
    By YellowJacket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-08-2003, 01:25 PM
  4. Where can the ingredients be purchased?
    By sully764 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-19-2002, 07:43 PM