Can The Thyroid Permanently Shutdown?

MForcE00

Awards
Can the thyroid gland permanently shutdown because of hard abuse of T3 and T4? Please provide PROOF, such as studies, textbooks on the web, anything that is credible included in your response. Thanks in advance.

Synthetik

Awards
I'll try to find "published studies", but this is what I've read on most steroid profiles of the drugs.

Taken from mesomorphosis:

Those who take high dosages of Cytomel over a long period of time are at risk of developing a chronic thyroid insufficiency. As a consequence, the athlete might be forced to take thyroid medication for the rest of his life. It is also important that the dosage is reduced slowly and evenly by taking fewer tablets and not be ended abruptly. Those who plan to take Cytomel should first consult a physician in order to be sure that no thyroid hyper function exists.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Check out the late Karl Hoffman's (Nandi) article in Mind and Muscle Magazine. You will not cause your thyroid to shut down forever by using or abusing T3.

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
One of my buddies juiced quite a bit back in the early 90's and would often take thyroid drugs to lean out before a show. From what I understand, he abused these pretty bad and is now on prescribed Thyroid medication to keep him from blowing up. He has been visiting a doctor monthly for the past 8 years.

Gumbo

400runner

Banned
Awards
  • Established
but then again you hear about guys doing roids for years and then having no sex drive after they stop cycling. i think all these drugs that have effects that come quickly have some long term issues too.

Richscd2

Banned
Awards
its quite possible if unreasonable amounts are used for a really long time.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dont think the thyroid shutsdown completely, but it can easily become sluggish and lead to hypothyroidism.

50joe

Awards
  • Established
I remember reading on here, have to search, about people on therapy for years who discontinued with no adverse effects.

Of course, as always, moderation is key.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
As always, if someone is prone to something and abuses a substance that goes in that direction, then of course the problem arises.

For example, if someone's test is on the low side and is somewhat in the process of going into low-testosterone a few years down the road, OF COURSE just ONE cycle might send him right there upon completion. Whenever that happens to someone, you hear about it, and you hear it a LOT. Of course that conflicts quite strongly with all the people who do cycle upon cycle and are just great after a normal PCT. Same thing for thyroid. Anyone who is prone to hypothyroidism and does a good long hard cycle of cytomel is greatly increasing the probability of thyroid malfunction.

Sadly, the only way to know if you are prone to hypothyroidism or hypogonadism is to do a cycle and if you don't recover even with a good PCT, then you know. :eek:

Blown_SC

Blown_SC

Eh Hole Board Supporter
Awards
There's never been a documented case of such happening, no.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
After several t-3 and trimax runs i've had blood work done and my thyroid is perfectly in the normal range. However, like someone posted above if you're prone to something you never know. Moderation and keeping up to date bloodwork is key.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
I haven't read any documents saying it(t3 & t4 use) will permantely shut your thyroid down, but read from others(couple vets) that, they can cause permant shutdown. But like everyone else said, moderation of use is probably the key. If you are prone to get hypothyroidism then probably best to stay away. But the only way to know if you are is by doing a cycle of t3 & t4. These have been the reasons I have never touched the stuff.

400runner

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i have done a cycle, and i feel as though i should stay away. my mom has to take it everymorning, and i think i made a STUPID mistake by doing a cycle of t3. we live and learn though. i will never touch the stuff again, and luckly i dont have problems now. It just seems like i hold fat a little more than i used to before the cycle....but this could be in my head.

50joe

Awards
  • Established
i have done a cycle, and i feel as though i should stay away. my mom has to take it everymorning, and i think i made a STUPID mistake by doing a cycle of t3. we live and learn though. i will never touch the stuff again, and luckly i dont have problems now. It just seems like i hold fat a little more than i used to before the cycle....but this could be in my head.
I'd get bloodwork done to be sure. I have a feeling it's probably in your head. Unless you abused it.
*edit*But then again, unless you had gotten work done before cycle, you won't have a baseline to go off of, so i guess its a moot point.

I have done a few of t3 cycles and i seem to keep the fat off even in the 3 weeks following discontinuance of the drug. I only use it once a year though, if that.

WannaGro

Board Supporter
Awards
I personally do really short on/off cycles of t3 and I seem to be more thermic(I guess) after the short on period. This was the same as trimax was for me. I have a positive rebound I think, because a few days after coming off, I'll sweat my ass off thinking about cardio, and I see a slightly greater weight loss in the off days. I found some of Grunts posts on T3 helpful, I don't remember which thread it was in, maybe he can link it for you. It was about like 7 on 5 off I believe. this is similar to what I do and I works very well for me.

-WannaGro

THETEST

Awards
  • Established
Hey folks - does this discussion include 7-Keto fat loss supplements? I have taken Beverly Internatonals 7-Keto for up to 3 months at a time. Not sure if I am having any problems - trying to loose some fat now, using CLA and that companies Lean Out. All non-thermogeics.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
7-keto can be considered a little bit like a thyroid PCT product, a lot like ATD is to testosterone. So in fact, you are running the thyroid equivalent of a partial NHA stack... If you know what I mean...

Blown_SC

Blown_SC

Eh Hole Board Supporter
Awards
I haven't read any documents saying it(t3 & t4 use) will permantely shut your thyroid down, but read from others(couple vets) that, they can cause permant shutdown. .....These have been the reasons I have never touched the stuff.
Ask these so-called "Vets" to provide some proof of such claims, and see what they provide. BTW, back's looking ripped.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Ask these so-called "Vets" to provide some proof of such claims, and see what they provide. BTW, back's looking ripped.

Lol, Blown, I think that's Dexter's back.

I totally agree with Blown here. Who are these "vets" you speak of that make this claim?

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established

Like UB, said, it's DJ's back not mine. I'll check in with the 'vets' I am referring too to see if he has any proof of it.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Two cycles of Trimax under my belt. 5 weeks and 4 weeks... and NO issues with Thyroid whatsoever. After reading about as much as I can about the thyroid, I think it's a very rare case indeed when the thyroid doesn't come fully back. Some take longer to recover, but I don't believe you'll be shut down permanantly.

Of course, you never know.....

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Well, to me it doesn't make sense that the thyroid would spontaneously shut down. Your body detects the presence of exogenous T3 and stops making it's own. Then, when the exogenous T3 is gone, your thyroid goes back to work. Pretty basic.
Now, taking a very high amount may cause some unsettling of your body's thyroid "thermostat" and consequently lead to decreased production. But I've seen no studies to say one way or the other.