Flaxseed

1. Registered User
    Answers

Flaxseed

I see that most of you all here take flaxseed "oil". What I take is ground flaxseed. Is this not as beneficial? Just wondering if I need to change it. Thanx

2. Registered User
    Answers

Ground seed or meal is just as good as oil.

Whole seeds are not, however.
  3. Banned
    Answers

Why are whole seeds not good? I have a couple poubds fresh from a farm that I can play with.
    •   

4. Gold Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Brent
    Why are whole seeds not good? I have a couple poubds fresh from a farm that I can play with.
    Because whole seeds simply pass through the body. Grinding the seeds just before using them best preserves flavor and nutrition, but pre-ground seeds are ok. And keep them refrigerated.
  5. Banned
    Answers

Isnt that what chewing is for?
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Thanx, question answered!
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Brent
    Isnt that what chewing is for?
    I had some flax seed bread a couple years ago, not knowing what they meant is that there were whole flax seeds interspersed throughout the loaf and not ground into the flour. I found out one cracked tooth later.
  8. Registered User
    Answers

I Use Ultimate Nutrition's Flax Seed Oil in capsules. Works for me!
  9. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Flax is highly over rated IMO. Fish oil has a higher efficacy as it contains EPA/DHA as opposed to the ALNA in flax. The majority of the biological effects of ALNA are generally attributed to conversion to EPA and then DHA via desaturation and elongation. These fatty acids generally have all of the same benefits of ALNA, and then some. In human and animal studies, ALNA successfully raises tissue levels of EPA, but the conversion rate is low (less than 10%). The remaining ALNA is either beta-oxidized for other purposes or partitioned into certain tissues, such as skin. The conversion rate to DHA is very low, so both ALNA and EPA supplementation generally fail to significantly increase tissue DHA content. It is likely that this is because DHA synthesis is regulated largely independently of tissue EPA content.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  10. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr
    Flax is highly over rated IMO. Fish oil has a higher efficacy as it contains EPA/DHA as opposed to the ALNA in flax. The majority of the biological effects of ALNA are generally attributed to conversion to EPA and then DHA via desaturation and elongation. These fatty acids generally have all of the same benefits of ALNA, and then some. In human and animal studies, ALNA successfully raises tissue levels of EPA, but the conversion rate is low (less than 10%). The remaining ALNA is either beta-oxidized for other purposes or partitioned into certain tissues, such as skin. The conversion rate to DHA is very low, so both ALNA and EPA supplementation generally fail to significantly increase tissue DHA content. It is likely that this is because DHA synthesis is regulated largely independently of tissue EPA content.
    Agree, fish oil is more beneficial.

I think flax seed sucks and here is why
    FLAX LIGNANS, LinumLife is a flax hull concentrate that contains 10 times more lignans than flaxseed or any other flax product. One gram contains 50mg lignans, the normal amount recommended per day. Lignans are phytoestrogens that act as buffers for stronger estrogens such as estridiol, block conversion of testosterone to DHT, and may decrease free testosterone by increasing globulin bonding. Obviously, this is a double edged sword. Although consumption of plant lignans is related to improved breast, prostate, menopausal, heart, and colon health, and a recent study reported improvement in hair loss in 9 of 10 male subjects; just as with soy, those trying to raise testosterone levels or promote growth should use sparingly. LinumLife™ contains some fiber and omega 3 oil, and has one year shelf-life if kept cool & tight. Slightly sweet taste.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Flaxseed oil and estrogen
    By SeaHawk22 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-07-2006, 12:25 PM
  2. Health benefits of flaxseed
    By yeahright in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-02-2006, 01:58 PM
  3. Flaxseed Downregulates IGF While Tren Upregulates
    By Mulletsoldier in forum IGF-1/GH