Newbie help with macros for cutting etc.

LucidInterval

Awards
Ok, I'm 18 years old, 6', 173lbs, around 15-16% BF, lifting for 8-9 months now.

I'm cutting right now, and eating between 2200-2400 cals a day.

I try to get equal amounts of cals from fat, protein, and carbs. This equates generally to the concept of the 40:40:20 ratio of protein to carbs to fat. For instance, I logged on Fitday today 2234 cals, 86g fat, 175g carbs, 188g protein.

I sense, from this "fat loss forum" in particular, that these are not "correct" nutrient macros for cutting.

What should I be doing?
Are my cals per day suitable for my weight for weightloss?
Are my macro ratios adequate for cutting?

Thanks in advance,
Brian P.

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Up the protien, lower the carbs to 60-80grams for cutting, keep the fats healthy (ie polyun and mono fats, omega3 etc..)

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
May want to drop the cals, unless you lift a lot. Maybe 2000/day?

LucidInterval

Awards
I only lift 3x.

I'll try that out, thanks for the help man.

Synthetik

Awards
I would up the protein and carbs and drop the fat. But remember, get your carbs from fiberous sources and complex sources. Try to stay away from simple sugars.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't be cutting if I were you. Lean bulking , yes. Cutting, no.

Put on some decent LBM and your BF % will drop on its own. @ 18yo, natty Test circulating on overdrive combined with some determination and consistency shouldn't be too difficult. JMO

mildain

Awards

I'm cutting right now, and eating between 2200-2400 cals a day.

I try to get equal amounts of cals from fat, protein, and carbs. This equates generally to the concept of the 40:40:20 ratio of protein to carbs to fat. For instance, I logged on Fitday today 2234 cals, 86g fat, 175g carbs, 188g protein.
yeah i found to lose weight it is best to determine caloric needs, than cut around 250 per day to lose half a pound of fat per week while keeping a 40/40/20 diet. In this way you'll be getting enough food to build muscle, or at least maintain it, and the fat will drop due to the small deficit and you'll also be burning calories from weight training. i calculated out your maintanance calories to be at 2968 per day so if you get around 2650 per day with wieght 3 to 5 times per week the fat should melt of with relatively no problem