Total noob needs HELP ! ! ! !

ecounts

Awards
Howdy everybody.

First off I’m a totally noob here. I’m looking to loose fat and build muscle. About 5 years ago I had my right patella shattered in the Air Force. I have had 4 surgeries to fix my issue. So 5 years later and almost 200lbs heaver I want to find a way to loose it. I’m 6’1” about 375lbs large build and no clue on measurements.

I have read that the key is to loose it slowly. That’s fine. Of course faster would be nice but I want to do this right.

My first big question is that I keep seeing people talk about eating clean. Could somebody please give me some tips on this? Like what kinds of foods to eat. And maybe some good ways on how to cook it if needed. I know I should eat 5 or 6 small meals a day. So any help here would be great.

I have also seen lots of talk on taking fat burners. I have a co-worker that is swearing by Venom. I have seen mixed posts on this product. I know I should take something but I’m just not to sure which one.

Next, I know that the more muscle I have the more calories I will burn, even at rest. So do I also want to build muscle as I’m trying to loose the fat? If so do I want to take something like Mega-TRN or Mega-ZOL? So I want to start trying to powerlift?

I will be getting with a trainer at the gym I have joined so he/she will be able to help me figure out my cardio and weights. I’m sure I will be asking for tips in the weight lifting to some day.

I plan on trying to hit the gym 5 times a week. I am working on changing my schedules so I can go first thing in the morning since I see that people say that would be the prime time to burn fat.

So what everything comes down to is that I want to become a lot healthier but I don’t want to blow my heart. I can’t go to my family doctor because I know he will say this is all a bad idea and to do everything the old fashioned way. If I can get any help, tips whatever to point me in the right direction so I can run with it would be greatly appreciated.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
searching through the forum will benefit you far more than having someone trying to outline everything

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
Lift with your trainer for a while and if you decide that you are dedicated enough to stick to a diet and training routine then you should hire Bobo.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I’m 6’1” about 375lbs large build and no clue on measurements.
I have read that the key is to loose it slowly. That’s fine. Of course faster would be nice but I want to do this right.
In the beginning I think you will loose it pretty fast. I don't know how fast though.

My first big question is that I keep seeing people talk about eating clean. Could somebody please give me some tips on this? Like what kinds of foods to eat. And maybe some good ways on how to cook it if needed. I know I should eat 5 or 6 small meals a day. So any help here would be great.
We have a forum that covers these topics. Also specific searches will help you.

I have also seen lots of talk on taking fat burners. I have a co-worker that is swearing by Venom. I have seen mixed posts on this product. I know I should take something but I’m just not to sure which one.
At your weight I wouldn't. Your hearts already working hard enough. Once you lose a large portion of the weight then you could use something like Venom.

Next, I know that the more muscle I have the more calories I will burn, even at rest. So do I also want to build muscle as I’m trying to loose the fat? If so do I want to take something like Mega-TRN or Mega-ZOL? So I want to start trying to powerlift?
Again I would wait. Mega-trn can cause your BP (bloodpresure) to go up. And there is no majic pill. Diet and exercise, man..diet and exercise.

I will be getting with a trainer at the gym I have joined so he/she will be able to help me figure out my cardio and weights. I’m sure I will be asking for tips in the weight lifting to some day.
Thats a good start.

So what everything comes down to is that I want to become a lot healthier but I don’t want to blow my heart. I can’t go to my family doctor because I know he will say this is all a bad idea and to do everything the old fashioned way. If I can get any help, tips whatever to point me in the right direction so I can run with it would be greatly appreciated.
If by "the old fashion way" is working out and eating right then that is the way to go. There are no quick fixes in this game.

Take a look at this thread. http://anabolicminds.com/forum/pics/39783-flab-fab-ok-cheesy.html

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
Food List

PROTEINS

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
Tuna (water packed)
Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
Shrimp
Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
Venison
Buffalo
Ostrich
Protein Powder
Egg Whites or Eggs
Rib eye Steaks or Roast
Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London broil, and Stir Fry)
Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round, 96% Lean Ground Round)
Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)

COMPLEX CARBS

Oatmeal (Old Fashioned)
Sweet Potatoes
Yams
Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
Oat Bran Cereal
Rye Cereal
Brown Rice
Farina (Cream of Wheat)
Multigrain Hot Cereal
Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta
Rice (white, jasmine, basmati, Arborio, wild)
Potatoes (red, baking, new)

FIBROUS CARBS

Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
Broccoli
Asparagus
String Beans
Spinach
Bell Peppers
Brussels sprouts
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Celery
Cucumber
Eggplant
Green or Red Pepper
Onions
Pumpkin
Garlic
Tomatoes
Zucchini

FRUIT

Bananas
Apples
Grapefruit
Peaches
Strawberries
Blueberries
Raspberries
Lemons
Limes

HEALTHY FATS

Natural Style Peanut Butter
Olive Oil or Safflower Oil
Nuts (almonds)
Flaxseed Oil

DAIRY AND EGGS

Low-fat cottage cheese
Eggs (whites)
Low or Non-Fat Milk

Bottled Water

CONDIMENTS & SPICES

Diet Soda
Crystal Light
Fat Free Mayonnaise
Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
Balsamic Vinegar
Salsa
Hot Peppers and Hot Sauce
Chili powder
Mrs. Dash
Steak Sauce
Sugar Free Maple Syrup
Chili Paste
Mustard
Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc)
Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste)

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice list Tenman

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
Can you describe what your diet is like now, and has been for a while now?

The idea behind my question, is if you are used to eating garbage all the time, trying to do a complete 360 (or 180 whichever makes sense), as far as diet goes might not be the right idea. Sure you might be able to stick to a super clean diet for a few weeks, but I think its just a set up for failure in the long run.

I think gradual changes in the diet are whats needed, not a total lifestyle change right off the bat. Considering we are obviously looking at long term health/life style changes..doing everything right away might not be the best idea.

If you are used to eating twice a day, and the meals consist of pizza and beer, then a number one with a side of a number 3 from mcdonalds, going from that to eating chicken breast with 1/4 brown rice, plain tuna, etc etc is going to be real tough to stick to.

h19

lepiricus

lepiricus

Awards
Theres no need for that. :nono: As he said he's a noob so there is no reason to raze him or send him to some supp site where he could get lured in by all the crap/flash.
Indeed, but even being a newb he should of detected that bit of sarcasm:p

ecounts, given you found this board already, you are on the right track.

Solid advice on this board though
bodybuilding.com ain't bad if you can filter through the BS
avantlabs board is good also if you want to get more sciency and stuff

But in general work on
1st: Diet
2nd: Workout
3rd: Rest
4th Supps

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
also, you could get one of those step meter things. While they might not be completely accurate, you can track how far you've walked throughout the day. If you have a job where you are sitting down a lot (such as myself), try and get up and go for walks.

You might think that sounds dumb, but every little bit helps. I think its something like 2000 steps per mile, so 5 miles is like 10000 steps. If you keep track and make it a point to walk most places you go, like taking the stairs etc instead of the elevator it would help

It seems you have a lot of weight to lose which is why i am suggesting this, obviously it wouldn't be much help if you only wanted to lose 20 pounds or soemthing.

oh and get green tea extract...

h19

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
also, you could get one of those step meter things. While they might not be completely accurate, you can track how far you've walked throughout the day. If you have a job where you are sitting down a lot (such as myself), try and get up and go for walks.

You might think that sounds dumb, but every little bit helps. I think its something like 2000 steps per mile, so 5 miles is like 10000 steps. If you keep track and make it a point to walk most places you go, like taking the stairs etc instead of the elevator it would help

It seems you have a lot of weight to lose which is why i am suggesting this, obviously it wouldn't be much help if you only wanted to lose 20 pounds or soemthing.

oh and get green tea extract...

h19
I think that can help any one of us.

Also if you just do some portion control I'm sure you will notice a big difference if you stick with it.
And it will be a good step towards getting into the habit of following a strict diet.

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
The idea behind my question, is if you are used to eating garbage all the time, trying to do a complete 360 (or 180 whichever makes sense), as far as diet goes might not be the right idea. Sure you might be able to stick to a super clean diet for a few weeks, but I think its just a set up for failure in the long run.

I think gradual changes in the diet are whats needed, not a total lifestyle change right off the bat. Considering we are obviously looking at long term health/life style changes..doing everything right away might not be the best idea.
I agree completely. Take it one step at a time. If you eat a lot of fast food, junk food, and drink soda; first give up the the fast food for two weeks. After two weeks add in the junk food. After another two weeks cut out the soda. You should see a difference just in making healthy meal choices.

ecounts

Awards
WoW, thank all of you for the responses.

I know I have a LONG way to go. And I know I need to start it sometime.

Tenman very nice list. I was just reading Grunt76’s post “What is a "good diet"?”, I’m guessing the first thing to figure out is the nutrient ratios I need. I see that you have the carbs split up, is one better to have then the other? And lets say I want to do 6 or 7 small meals a day, I can I substitute protein shakes for every other meal. So if I want to eat at 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm can I drink a shake at 9, 3 and 9 and have regular males the other times?

Hamper19 to answer your question, my diet is good and bad. I think my problem is (soon will be past tense) is portion control. I love food! I grew up being told that I have to clean my plate. Well my plate kept getting bigger and bigger. As far as the types of foods I eat, I eat almost anything. There are very few foods that I don’t like. I have noticed that I always seem to be eating. I always have something in my hands that is food related. Anything from fruits to sodas to candy bars to fast food. Speaking of a soda that is one thing I have cut out since 1/1/06. I could go through a 12 pack of cokes in one night sitting in front of a computer. I have been on the no cola wagon for 45 days and counting (LOL). I know I’m not going to be able to change cold turkey but I want/need to change my eating habits ASAP.

I also started going to the gym since the first of the year. I have been walking on the treadmill at a 3.0 mph pace for an hour every other day. I just jumped on and started with that number. I’m not to sure if that’s good but at least its something more than sitting at a computer.

And Lepiricus I will go check out that site too. The more info I can get the better it will be.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
You should take it one step at a time. start very slow and use your trainer for all the advice you can get. Don't be afraid to ask questions at the gym. As far as your diet goes, get a base program and modify it to fit your likes and dislikes. A common fact with most people is they go hard in the gym quick and get upset that they don't get quick results. You are definitly a person who needs to be carefull because of your injury. So good luck and train smart.

Dedication is the answer to getting in shape.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
Let me tell you, I love food probably as much as you do. Once you channel in your diet, you will realize you STILL CAN pretty much eat all the time, **** I do. People at my job are like damn man you are eating again?

I had to get my own fridge cuz i would bring **** in (for one day) and people bitched i took up the whole thing.

things you can snack on

low fat yogurt (calcium helps burn fat)
low fat string cheese (calcium again)
raw vegetables..(as much as those bitches that you want)

replace your snacks with some of that, and its a good start

Dropping the soda was a really good idea, thats easily 1000+ empty cals a day right there that aren't in your diet anymore

It sounds like you've been a sugar junky for a while, have you ever gotten blood tests for diabetes or anything like that?

Definitely keep us posted on your progress, we've all started somewhere.

Hell when I was 17 in HS i was a meatball 5'6" 215 (pot head who liked food)....by the time i was 19 I made it to 170 @ 5.5% bf...and natural at the time...so stay motivated b/c you can definitely get to whereever you want to go.

h19

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
ecounts, i just wanted to compliment you on your willingness to come into the nutrition forum first thing. you're definately on the right track and this place will teach you everything you want to know. :thumbsup:

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
yes..the awesome quotes!!!!!

ecounts

Awards
Question !

Is coffee or hot tea okay to drink? I make my coffee with a little half and half but no sugar. With the hot tea I drink green or Roobos chai. Would any of this cause a problem with me losing fat?

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
I would say take it easy on the coffee (2 -3 cups), and drink as much green tea as you want. I am also pretty sure you want to stay away from anything with the word "chai" in it.

I don't know about the Chai Tea that comes in tea bags, but the chai mixes and the stuff you buy from starbucks et al., have a bunch of crap in it.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
you should be fine then...just stay away from the "Chai lattes" and what not.

I drink tons of tea, black and green mostly. IN the morning I start my day with about 16 ounces of hot water with 3 tea bags...good ****..

eva

Awards
Howdy everybody.

First off I’m a totally noob here. I’m looking to loose fat and build muscle. About 5 years ago I had my right patella shattered in the Air Force. I have had 4 surgeries to fix my issue. So 5 years later and almost 200lbs heaver I want to find a way to loose it. I’m 6’1” about 375lbs large build and no clue on measurements.

I plan on trying to hit the gym 5 times a week. I am working on changing my schedules so I can go first thing in the morning since I see that people say that would be the prime time to burn fat.

Hi Ecounts,

have you heard about e-books? I think it really helps specially for those who have problems like yours. You can visit their website at http://www.vlage.com/recommends/fatloss4idiots.html

Powerlifting is not a bad idea, but you should deal also with the foods you're eating. Hope it makes sense.

ecounts

Awards
A small update. I have changed my diet a lot. But now I’m to a point were I’m feeling like I have to force myself to eat. I always fill full. While keeping track of what I’m eating, I see that I’m just pushing a bit over 2000cals a day. I’m taking in about 300 grams of protein a day. That is mostly done between chicken and 2 shakes a day. My big question is about building and/or not losing muscle. According to http://www.muscletech.com/CALCULATORS/CALORIE/Calorie_Calculator.shtml?image I need about 3400 cals a day. If I’m not hitting that, does that mean my body is eating muscle? Is my protein intake helping any?

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
sounds like your protein is good, you need to add some brown rice and sweet potatoes to your diet

Hook636

Hook636

Awards
Food List

PROTEINS

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
Tuna (water packed)
Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
Shrimp
Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
Venison
Buffalo
Ostrich
Protein Powder
Egg Whites or Eggs
Rib eye Steaks or Roast
Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London broil, and Stir Fry)
Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round, 96% Lean Ground Round)
Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)

COMPLEX CARBS

Oatmeal (Old Fashioned)
Sweet Potatoes
Yams
Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
Oat Bran Cereal
Rye Cereal
Brown Rice
Farina (Cream of Wheat)
Multigrain Hot Cereal
Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta
Rice (white, jasmine, basmati, Arborio, wild)
Potatoes (red, baking, new)

FIBROUS CARBS

Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
Broccoli
Asparagus
String Beans
Spinach
Bell Peppers
Brussels sprouts
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Celery
Cucumber
Eggplant
Green or Red Pepper
Onions
Pumpkin
Garlic
Tomatoes
Zucchini

FRUIT

Bananas
Apples
Grapefruit
Peaches
Strawberries
Blueberries
Raspberries
Lemons
Limes

HEALTHY FATS

Natural Style Peanut Butter
Olive Oil or Safflower Oil
Nuts (almonds)
Flaxseed Oil

DAIRY AND EGGS

Low-fat cottage cheese
Eggs (whites)
Low or Non-Fat Milk

Bottled Water

CONDIMENTS & SPICES

Diet Soda
Crystal Light
Fat Free Mayonnaise
Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
Balsamic Vinegar
Salsa
Hot Peppers and Hot Sauce
Chili powder
Mrs. Dash
Steak Sauce
Sugar Free Maple Syrup
Chili Paste
Mustard
Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc)
Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste)
Great list. This will sure help with the food shopping list.