Help me get ripped! Please critique this cutting diet

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys I've been following this for about a week now.  Let me know what you think.  All advice is wanted.  I'm sure there is room for improvement there always is.  I know some things could be better, but I tried not to make it too challenging to stick to everyday.

Meal 1 7:30 AM Cals Fat, Carb, Pro
1 scoops Pro Complex-130, 1, 2, 22
½ cp. Oatmeal-150, 3, 27, 5
1tbsp. Flax oil-130, 14, 0, 0
5gs. creatine
1 Gen Adrenalin NYC
1multi vit.
1000mgs Vitamin C

Meal 2 10:00 AM
Apple-81, 0, 21, 0
1 serving carrots-35, 0, 9, 1
2 servings unsalted trail mix-240, 12, 26, 8

Meal 3 12:00 PM
1 can tuna, canned chicken, or canned shrimp-200, 8, 0, 30
2 slices whole wheat bread-138, 2, 30, 4
1tbsp light mayo (yeah I know)-50, 5, 2, 0
1 Gen Adrenalin NYC

Meal 4 3:00 PM (Pre workout)
8oz OJ-113, 0, 27, 2
¼ cp. oatmeal-75, 2, 14, 3
1 Scoop whey-110, 2, 1, 22
1 Gen Adrenalin NYC

Meal 5 5:00 PM (Post workout)
2 Scoops whey-220, 4, 2, 44
½ cp. oatmeal-150, 3, 27, 5
5gs. creatine

Meal 6 6:30 PM
½ lb. chicken breast, ½ lb. haddock, or as a treat ½ lb. ground beef-250, 3, 0, 52
2cps. spinach, green beans, or green peas-36, 0, 6, 6

Meal 7 9:00 PM
2 scoops Pro Complex-260, 2, 4, 55
8oz. milk-90, 1, 12, 8

Totals 2458 Calories, 62gs Fat, 210gs Carbs, 277gs Protein

My maintenance level is 2950,
I’m 26, 6’2” 205lbs.  I put the nutrition values of the ones I eat 6 out of 7 days a week.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
ill critique n'pursuit. :)
the multi and a day worth of vitamin c isnt necessary and in fact, should be seperated throughout the day. the protein intake you're getting from meal 1 is slightly low (22 from powder, traces from the oatmeal). If you're set in getting protein from powder, then i would add in 1/2-1 sccop of a whey product, knowing that the pro complex is blend product.
Same thing could be said for meal 2. (actually, i wouldnt consider that a meal at all....a snack really) you're going nearly 5 hours in between meal 1 and 3 with only intaking some nuts for your protein source, and minimal at that.
canned shrimp? (ha) i dont know too much about that product however you cant go wrong with tuna and chicken. dont worry too much about light mayo. i tbsp a day wont kill you.
Your pre and post workout meal (meal 4) is sound. nothing i would advice you to change up. (cept, i think 44 grams is sorta pushing the enevolpe. I believe one can take in 30grams and still provide the body with muscle building protein and amino acid)
No complaints about your whole meal after your workout or meal 7. (pro complex is a good choice here, more so than meal 1 when you wake up). Thanks for having a easy-to-read layout.
:) Overall, looks like a sound base for a great cutting/maintanence diet. Just some tinkering could be done here and there. Sage

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice Sage. Actually I usually do take in 2 scoops of Pro Complex each morning which adds up to 55gs of protein, but I needed to cut calories somewhere so I cut that. I know meal 2 is weak, and that's the one I'm trying to work on. It's just tough being at work. I'll see what I can come up with and post it.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is this a precontest I agree with the protein in meal 1 and 2.

I think that prcontest diets should be squeaky clean so there's no room for bread I would rather see a yam or some par boiled rice. Your not taking in enough fibrous carbs, I like to take half my carbs from fibrous vegtables if you do this the extra protein won't be a concern don't worry too much about eh calorie increase.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
It's not pre contest just pre summer
More fibrous carbs k!
Meal 1 I'll toss the 2nd scoop back in my shake
Meal 2 I can switch out the carrots for some raw brocolli?
Still need to come up with some more protein 2nd meal. Maybe I'll add in a 1/2 or full can of tuna or chicken.
Think I should still toss the bread in meal 3 even though it's not precontest?

Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

Peace!

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well I think it's still better if you do, add a full can of tuna to meal 2, and brocolli is a good Idea. Eat lots of brocolli, green beans, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, snow peas and red peppers are good treats.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Changes are in blue.  I'm still concerned about not being 500 cals below maintenance now though.  I'm only 157 cals below.  Might have to throw in another day of cardio to make up for it?

1 scoops Pro Complex-260, 2, 4, 55
5gs. creatine
1 Gen Adrenalin NYC
1multi vit.
500mgs Vitamin C

Apple-81, 0, 21, 0
2 cps. broccoli raw-40, 0, 7, 4
1 can tuna-200, 8, 0, 30

1 Gen Adrenalin NYC

8oz OJ-113, 0, 27, 2
¼ cp. oatmeal-75, 2, 14, 3
1 Gen Adrenalin NYC

5gs. creatine

½ lb. chicken breast, ½ lb. haddock, or as a treat ½ lb. ground beef-250, 3, 0, 52

8oz. milk-90, 1, 12, 8

Totals 2793 Calories, 71gs Fat, 210gs Carbs, 333gs Protein

I’m 26, 6’2” 205lbs.  I put the nutrition values of the ones I eat 6 out of 7 days a week.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Anyone else? Feel free to say it looks good if you believe so.

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
I think you should drop that mayo for a while and add a tbsp of flax oil there. Also im wondering why you using Orange Juice Pre workout, avoid that fructose altogether if you are trying to get ripped up fast, it mess with your insulin sensivity. You could also try and remove that 8onz milk before bed for some cottage cheese but that's just me.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
I'm using OJ pre workout, because someone on here told me it would be good when I asked for a drinkable pre-workout meal. I know the vitamin C helps slow down catabolism also. What would you suggest dump the OJ and add another 1/4cp. of oats to the drink?

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
Yep, definitely get something complex and slow digesting in that meal. Yeah Vitamin C help slow down catabolism, get some Vitamin C's from a cap and stick to those oats, better performance in the gym too because of the slow stream of nutrients.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Cool it's done. I take plenty of C throughout the day anyways. Cut the mayo ouch! K it's done. I was looking for a place to add some more flax anyways. If I add that much fat though I'm going to have to take out the bread that meal to keep the carbs down.

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
I think you can stay with 1 slice of bread instead of 2, what you think? i think it adds perfectly and you have a great diet set.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
calorie wise I'm going to dump the 2 slices. I'm already higher in calories then I want to be.

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
Alright , I think that diet is pretty much set, it looks very good :)

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If your still looking to drop cals I"m not too fond of trail mix. :D

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I cut that thanks. That was a stupid meal to throw in there. Combining fat, and carbs.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You should be all set then it's lookin good.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Hopefully it works! I'm not feeling anything from the NYC, but then again I'm used to ECAs. I'm going to finish out the month on that, and if it doesn't do anything I'm going to get an ECA.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
i was gonna say cut the trail mix also..

whats wrong with oj preworkout is my question. I could see if it was high fructose corn syrup, but i think you can get oj without any added sugars and what not, so fructose wouldnt be as bad as HFCS

i dont do it personally, i just drink scoop of whey with h20, and then use an oj/mango juice post workout, with the HFCS which is good imo since i dont have dextrose or anything.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Because on a cutting diet you want liver glycogen low. Fructose goes directly towards liver glycogen and does nothing for muscle glycogen. Dump it and go with oats. It will give enough energy for your workout to eliviate catabolism without effecting liver glycogen levels that much. Its a better choice.

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
LOL , how i couldn't see that damn trail mix!! but Me and BOBO agree you don't need fructose, stick to those oats :)

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys I've been following this for about a week now.  Let me know what you think.  All advice is wanted.  I'm sure there is room for improvement there always is.  I know some things could be better, but I tried not to make it too challenging to stick to everyday.

1 scoops Pro Complex-130, 1, 2, 22
1/2 cp. Oatmeal-150, 3, 27, 5
5gs. creatine
1 Gen Adrenalin NYC
1multi vit.
1000mgs Vitamin C

Apple-81, 0, 21, 0
1 serving carrots-35, 0, 9, 1

1 Gen Adrenalin NYC

8oz OJ-113, 0, 27, 2
1/4 cp. oatmeal-75, 2, 14, 3
1 Gen Adrenalin NYC

1/2 cp. oatmeal-150, 3, 27, 5
5gs. creatine

1/2 lb. chicken breast, 1/2 lb. haddock, or as a treat 1/2 lb. ground beef-250, 3, 0, 52

8oz. milk-90, 1, 12, 8

Totals 2458 Calories, 62gs Fat, 210gs Carbs, 277gs Protein

I would drop all the bread, milk, apple, and trail mix. Eat more lean beef, eggs, and poultry; you are relying too much on protein powder. Turkey has less cals than chicken, but equal protein. I would cut carbs in half, but that's just me. I can't lose weight until I go under 100 gms per day. You may have to up your fat level to adjust. Bobo is the expert here on carb/fat ratios.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldn't neccesarly cut carbs with this type of split but I would make sure that half were coming from fibrous vegtables. I agree bread isn't food as far as I'm concerned and I was more concerned about the trail mix but truth have it be known I don't like fruit on cutting diets so the apple gave my pause but that's me and some people like to keep a bit of fruit and one apple is not going to kill him. Oh and carrots are not a good vegtable choice either (brocolli would be better).

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Awesome guys thanks for taking the time!  I actually had incorporate quite a few of those changes I just hadn't posted them yet.  Below are all of the changes you guys suggested.  I still have to figure out the totals for the day, but I know it will look a lot better.  I agree I need to get more meat in there, but I think this is a good start.  I'll see if I can start to manage to eat some meat in meal 1.  I'm also considering adding CLA @ 9gs/day to the mix.

Meal 1 7:30 Cals Fat, Carb, Pro
1 scoops Pro Complex-260, 2, 4, 55
5gs. creatine
1 Gen Adrenalin NYC
1multi vit.
500mgs Vitamin C

6oz. chicken breast
2 cps. broccoli raw-40, 0, 7, 4

1 can tuna-200, 8, 0, 30
1 tbsp. flax oil
1 Gen Adrenalin NYC

1/2 cp. oatmeal-150, 4, 28, 6
1 Gen Adrenalin NYC

5gs. creatine

6oz.chicken breast, ½ lb. haddock, or as a treat ½ lb. ground beef-250, 3, 0, 52

I’m 26, 6’2” 205lbs. I put the nutrition values of the ones I eat 6 out of 7 days a week

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yah I agree replace some of those powders with meat and eggs and add some more greens (almost every meal). Here's why for the veggies, fibrous vegtables will allow you to add ultra low glycemic carbs to your diet keeping you out of a catabolic state (allowing you to keep a higher calorie intake than normally on a diet), at the same time these fibrous veg. help cause you to burn more because they take quite a bit of energy to digest. A neat little trick we use while cutting. I know some people who do not really decrease carbs much rather they replace the starchy carbs with fibrous ones and voila, a optimum fat loss situation. The higher percentage of fibrous carb intake the better.

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
Npursuit - I would like to know how your diet is treating you ? I liked your layout and it fits perfectly with what I was thinking about. We have the same maintance level pretty much, 6'0 225 right now. Just wondering if your getting the results you want and seeing as it's been a month since your post.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Pfunk47
Npursuit - I would like to know how your diet is treating you ? I liked your layout and it fits perfectly with what I was thinking about. We have the same maintance level pretty much, 6'0 225 right now. Just wondering if your getting the results you want and seeing as it's been a month since your post.

MY diet is treating me fairly well, however plans changed, and I'm on a different diet.  It's not all that different from the one posted here.  I haven't lost much fat, but I am also in the middle of a PH cycle.  My new diet consists of this.

Meals 1-3

4oz. chicken breast

1 bowl of greens

1 tbsp flax oil

6 almonds

Meal 4

2 scoops blended protein

1/2 cp. oats (actually a full cup since they are cooked)

Meal 5

2 scoops whey

Meal 6-7

4 oz. chicken breast

1 bowl of greens

6 almonds

1 tbsp natty peanut butter

Meal 8

2 scoops blended protein

In case you want to know.  I'm supplementing with

10gs glutamine pre & post workout

Multivitamin

Vitamin C

Liquid Clenbutrix (switching to meltdown at the end of the week)

Beverly's Lean out (starting today)

Optimum whey (switching to Beverly's whey today)

Optimum Pro Complex

VPX Micallean (for nightime protein switching to that at the end of the week)

My PH cycle is

15 days 6ccs Paradeca then switching to Syngex for 15 days @ 8ccs

30 days 9ccs EQ

My scale seems a little strange lately, but I'm up between 8-10 pounds after 2 weeks.  With a little fat loss, and my strength is going through the roof.

started cycle 210lbs. now 220lbs.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established

MY diet is treating me fairly well, however plans changed, and I'm on a different diet.  It's not all that different from the one posted here.  I haven't lost much fat, but I am also in the middle of a PH cycle.  My new diet consists of this.

Meals 1-3

4oz. chicken breast

1 bowl of greens

1 tbsp flax oil

6 almonds

Meal 4

2 scoops blended protein

Meal 5

2 scoops whey

Meal 6-7

4 oz. chicken breast

1 bowl of greens

6 almonds

Meal 8

2 scoops blended protein

In case you want to know.  I'm supplementing with

10gs glutamine pre & post workout

Multivitamin

Vitamin C

Liquid Clenbutrix (switching to meltdown at the end of the week)

Beverly's Lean out (starting today)

Optimum whey (switching to Beverly's whey today)

Optimum Pro Complex

VPX Micallean (for nightime protein switching to that at the end of the week)

My PH cycle is

15 days 6ccs Paradeca then switching to Syngex for 15 days @ 8ccs

30 days 9ccs EQ

My scale seems a little strange lately, but I'm up between 8-10 pounds after 2 weeks.  With a little fat loss, and my strength is going through the roof.

started cycle 210lbs. now 220lbs.

Why, if you're cutting, are you not frontloading the carbs? I would eat the oats right out of the gate, then go with the flax meals.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Scotty because I don't workout till 4PM. My last carb intake is no later then 6.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
So you are saying I shouldn't be taking in any carbs after my workout?  That's a new one on me.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
So you are saying I shouldn't be taking in any carbs after my workout?  That's a new one on me.
Never said that, my friend. I don't understand why you eat three pro/fat meals, then 2 protein/carb meals, then back to pro/fat. Eat your carbs early in the day, all the meals look good(except oats and flax), just the timing needs tweaking. And where have you ever seen me recommend no carbs post w/o?

bigswole30

bigswole30

Awards
  • Established
I would also take the carbs in earlier. I do not take carbs post workout and recover fine. Here is why I do take carbs post workout.

If you want to lose fat and build muscle at the same time you'd be much advised to utilize a process known as neoglucogenesis( the utilization of fats and/or proteins instead of carbs or glucose to replenish glycogen stores.) Your body has the ability to convert fat into glycogen through this process. And if you are trying to burn fat, then this should be your goal, and the way to achieve it is by not consuming carbs(no more than 25 grams anyway) after your workout. On a flip side, if you ingest a big load of carbs(especially simple sugars) after your workout, any fat burning you stimulated from the workout will be stopped dead in its tracks

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by scotty2

Never said that, my friend. I don't understand why you eat three pro/fat meals, then 2 protein/carb meals, then back to pro/fat. Eat your carbs early in the day, all the meals look good(except oats and flax), just the timing needs tweaking. And where have you ever seen me recommend no carbs post w/o?

Well I'm just going by the diet I was put on from a professional bodybuilder.  I'm not following why you are saying all meals look good except oats & flax?  I don't consume them in the same meal.  One major problem I have is if I was to start consuming my carbs in the morning I don't know what I would switch to.  Sweet potatoes?  I can't stand oatmeal outside of a shake unless it's instant with sugar and cinnamon =)

I apologize if I made it sound like I was copping an attitude.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by bigswole30
I would also take the carbs in earlier. I do not take carbs post workout and recover fine. Here is why I do take carbs post workout.

So you guys think I should scrap the pre-workout carbs, add 2 carb meals in the morning, and only take in oats post workout?  How does that sound?

Damn just when I think I have it all figured out.

bigswole30

bigswole30

Awards
  • Established
IMO, I think you should give my diet a try. Recovery will not be a problem. I would definitely have the carbs in the morning and no pre or post workout carbs if you are wanting to maximize fat-loss.

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
Npursuit - Even though I am shadowing your original diet with tweaking, that makes the most sense to me (you last post) - except Bigswole has me thinking again about fat burning optimization now

-always when you think you have it almost right someone has some new info that makes you think - damn ( but love all the knowledge)

Thanks Bros - you guys know your $hit.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by bigswole30
IMO, I think you should give my diet a try. Recovery will not be a problem. I would definitely have the carbs in the morning and no pre or post workout carbs if you are wanting to maximize fat-loss.

Aren't you just a wittle guy though?  LOL just kidding man.  What does your diet work out to for cals/carbs/pro/fat a day?

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
I'll try to straighten you out here. This is all IMO. I remember you train at 4pm, so, I'll keep that in mind. After looking at your meal planning, it may not be so bad. Protein/fat , then pro/carb pre w/o, post w/o shake, then another pro/carb meal, back to pro/fat. Ok, yeah, that looks like about what you have. One change, food meal after post w/o shake, eat pro/carb(yams, chicken) Sorry for the confusion. I didn't see the workout in there, gotta specify when you train, all it says is the meals.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have to go with Scotty on this one, I would take the post workout catbs with your shake at least.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
LOL nice avatar Scotty. I just started using that stuff last week. I hope it works as good as it tastes.

So it seems my diet seems pretty tight. I will probably wait till after my PH cycle to tighten it up more. So far I'm extremely happy with my results. I'm hoping I will see more fat loss in the next couple of weeks now that I am off the 4AD.

bigswole30

bigswole30

Awards
  • Established
LOL nice avatar Scotty. I just started using that stuff last week. I hope it works as good as it tastes.

So it seems my diet seems pretty tight. I will probably wait till after my PH cycle to tighten it up more. So far I'm extremely happy with my results. I'm hoping I will see more fat loss in the next couple of weeks now that I am off the 4AD.
Off the 4-ad. What about Syngex? It contains 4-ad. However, the added 1-test may help you lean out more. Are you doing Cardio?