Cardio after Lifting?

Bulldog7

Awards
Hey guys, right now I'm 5'10", 204lbs and the last time I got my bodyfat checked was a couple months ago and it was 11-12%. It is around there still but I want to get down to 7-8% bf. Now I'm just trying to get some opinions here. I'm going to be doing high intensity cardio twice a week this month, and bumping it up to 4 times a week in March. My cardio will last roughly 20-25 minutes. This is just part of a gradual process to maintain muscle and lose fat. Now I can do my cardio in the morning, about 6 hours before I lift or do it right after I lift. I usually lift for about 45 minutes. My diet's on check and I just want to get some opinions on what you think would be better for maximizing fat loss while maintaining as much muscle as possible. What do you think?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Well bro, from what I know high-intensity cardio is going to cause your body to hit its glycogen stores before it goes for the fat. AFIK, mid-intensity cardio post workout is a big plus for fat loss.

BV

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I would say after resistance training is fine but low intensity will yield better results for losing fat while retaining muscle. Only go high intesity if you are training for something specific that requires the increased endurance. I like to do 30 min low intensity in the AM and another 30 min session in the evening. I have been doing a fair amount of high intensity recently but it is for the sole purpose of increasing endurance for sparring and I do notice some muscle loss while doing so. Everyone is a bit differant but I think the general concensus on this board would agree with low intensity for your stated goals.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Yep, low to mid-intensity for 30 minutes post workout is the best bet if you are going for fatloss and want to do it post-workout.

ManBeast

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I find that once I get around 11%, low intensity doesn't help as much. I still do low intensity after strength training, but on non strength training days, I'll throw in 30 mins of high intensity. I think as long as you don't over do it on the high intensity, you'll have no problem keeping mass. Don't do your high intensity on an empty stomach of course.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I find that once I get around 11%, low intensity doesn't help as much. I still do low intensity after strength training, but on non strength training days, I'll throw in 30 mins of high intensity. I think as long as you don't over do it on the high intensity, you'll have no problem keeping mass. Don't do your high intensity on an empty stomach of course.

IMO, if low intensity isn't doing the trick, increase duration/frequency and/or check your diet. At lower bf% I believe refeeds to be of great benefit as well to add a little octane boost to the fat burning furnace.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Definitely. Refeeds, and sticking with solid food sources really help to speed along that fat loss.

BV

Bulldog7

Awards
This is my diet pretty much everyday
Meal 1- 6 large egg whites, 1 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup of oats, 1 scoop of pb
Meal 2- 6oz of chicken or can of tuna, 1/2 cup of oats, fish oil(9g of fat)
Meal 3- same as meal 2- maybe 1 scoop pb instead of fish oil
Meal 4- preworkout---same as meal 2
Meal 5- postworkout----2 scoops whey, 70-75g of carbs (half oats, half dextrose)
Meal 6- same as meal 2
Meal 7- before bed- 1 1/2 cup of skim milk, scoop of whey (I would rather use casein but I usually dont have money for it), fish oil (9g of fat)

Now if I do cardio in the morning, it would be an hour after meal 1 and I would treat postworkout like I do lifting but usually 1 scoop of whey and about 45g of carbs instead. Also, my protein sources are tuna, chicken, egg whites, or whey protein. For instance, I might substitute egg whites or chicken instead of tuna. I try to not use whey as a meal in place of one of the other protein sources, but sometimes I have no choice.

One more thing, what exactly are refeeds and how often do you use them.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
No fruit or veggies? I would lose the dextrose in the pw shake. Don't necessarily have to have casein before bed, the milk has cassein but I would eat a whole food vs the whey at that time of day. Cottage cheese is great for that.

Bulldog7

Awards
I'm definately trying to eat more veggies--especially broccoli and spinach....So should i replace some of the oats w/ fruits and veggies and maybe eat a couple bananas w/ some oats for my carb source postworkout? Also, what do u guys do for refeeds?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I'm definately trying to eat more veggies--especially broccoli and spinach....So should i replace some of the oats w/ fruits and veggies and maybe eat a couple bananas w/ some oats for my carb source postworkout? Also, what do u guys do for refeeds?
Sounds like a good start. Frozen berries are great and easy to throw in the blender with your oats & whey.

Refeeds: lots of starchy carbs but avoid mixing in fats. Pasta is my weapon of choice. Heaping mounds of spagetti smothered in a tomato based sauce and usually some lean ground turkey or extra lean beef. I also like to make a lean white sauce and add tuna. Ok, I gotta stop, I'm headin out to refeed.:run:

Bulldog7

Awards
Allright sounds good....So this is what Im gonna do....my meals will consist entirely of fruits and vegetables except preworkout I'll stick w// oats and pwo will be half oats, half fruits. And for now, maybe refeed once a week. When you refeed, do you refeed once a day or for the whole day?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Allright sounds good....So this is what Im gonna do....my meals will consist entirely of fruits and vegetables except preworkout I'll stick w// oats and pwo will be half oats, half fruits. And for now, maybe refeed once a week. When you refeed, do you refeed once a day or for the whole day?
Not entirely fruits and veggies. Just need to find a balance and have at least "some" fruits and veg. When I refeed I usually do 2-3 meals worth and sometimes throw in some ice cream or a piece of cake just to satisfy the cravings but that is not the "best" way, just my way. :)

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Why? B/c he is cutting or just in general you don't like to use dextrose?
I don't like dextrose for anything other than certain endurance sports. I spend a lot of time and energy researching, preparing and and eating healthy low GI foods. Why add junk food like dextrose in the mix especially post workout? Some believe the insulin spike the dextrose causes is the best course to restoring glycogen to the muscles after the depletion caused from resistance training. I disagree, as do many. Do a search on post workout nutrition and you will find many threads covering/debating this that should help educate you enough to make up your own mind.

mildain

Awards
hey anyone know if one was to do low intensity cardo 65%, after a intense weight session if it would be wise to ingest the postworkout shake after the weights or after the cardio. and if so, what would be the best shake mix, to lose fat whilie maintainig muscle, 1/3 carb:protien ratio?

Synthetik

Awards
IMO, i would just wait to ingest the protein after the cardio session. It all depends though, some even sip on protein while training. Just make sure you are not loosing muscle, or at least a lot of it.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
hey anyone know if one was to do low intensity cardo 65%, after a intense weight session if it would be wise to ingest the postworkout shake after the weights or after the cardio. and if so, what would be the best shake mix, to lose fat whilie maintainig muscle, 1/3 carb:protien ratio?

You could always just have some water with BCAA's in it before cardio and or Liver tabs. That's what I do on occasion.

h19

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
You could always just have some water with BCAA's in it before cardio and or Liver tabs. That's what I do on occasion.

h19
After ingested, how much time has to pass before the BCAAs are effectively used by the body?

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
I really couldn't tell you how long it takes. I will try and find the answer though.

jakesnake771

Awards
i usually do some cardio after my lifting session

Synthetik

Awards

h19
Hamper, why liver tabs before cardio? And which ones do you use? Thanx

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
Well I just use them because of the Aminos and protien...Not much, but they are cheap enough that I just throw them in the mix sometimes...whether or not it does anything to help stop catabolism, is another question

Universal Uni-liver tabs

Supplement Facts:
Serving Size: 2 Tablets (60 grain)
Servings Per Container: 125
Amount Per Serving % DV*
Calories 7
Protein 1.7g 4%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 40 mcg 3%
Vitmain B2 (Riboflavin) 400 mcg 24%
Niacin 2 mg 10%
Vitmain B6 (Pyridoxine) 80 mcg 4%
Vitmain B12 24 mcg 400%
Folic Acid 52 mcg 13%
Biotin 10 mcg 3%
Para-Aminobenzoic Acid 26 mcg **
Choline 80 mg **
Inositol 14 mg **

Other ingredients:
Dessicated bovine liver, whey, terra alba, choline citrate, inositol monophosphate, niacinamide, magnesium stearate, stearic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamin monophosphate, para-aminobenzoic acid, and cyanacobalamin.

Typical Amino Acid Profile (Per 120 Grains of Liver):
L-Arginine†240 mg **
L-Leucine†400 mg **
L-Isoleucine†240 mg **
L-Valine†280 mg **
L-Lysine†380 mg **
L-Histidine†12 mg **
L-Tryptophan†50 mg **
L-Methionine†110 mg **
L-Threonine†180 mg **
L-Phenylalanine†220 mg **
L-Tyrosine 160 mg **
L-Cystine 54 mg **

TravTriggz

Awards
if you workout MonWedFri
do not use tue and thu for solo cardio sessions...

u wanna have a Fresh CNS for your workout days. This is what i would do....i mean u can do it your way but doin cardio works out your legs and you always wanna have a day off after legs. i dunno just a thought

Just get on the TreadMill after your workouts and run 2 miles, The Combination of the damage your doing to ur muscles from your weight lifting routine plus your cardio, your body will be forced to SHRED up. after this workout it is Crucial to GET ALOT of protein and carbs or any weight lifting workout... so dont waste anytime.

personally i never workout without running/Ropping But then again im a Boxer and i do mostly body weight exercises.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Just get on the TreadMill after your workouts and run 2 miles, The Combination of the damage your doing to ur muscles from your weight lifting routine plus your cardio, your body will be forced to SHRED up.
:blink: If your need to do cardio post strength training, low intensity is best. Unless your sucking on a PWO shake before you run, high intensity could throw you into catabolism. I usually save my high intensity cardio for non strength training days and I feel great.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
:blink: If your need to do cardio post strength training, low intensity is best. Unless your sucking on a PWO shake before you run, high intensity could throw you into catabolism. I usually save my high intensity cardio for non strength training days and I feel great.
What is low intensity for some may be high intensity for others and vice versa. For example: I can run >3.5 miles in my 30 min cardio slot without my heartrate exceeding 150 and my max is 195. Running only 2 miles after my workout would have me at maybe 120 or so which is right about 60%. Walking on an incline barely gets me to 100. (my resting is 52) FWIW

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What is low intensity for some may be high intensity for others and vice versa. For example: I can run >3.5 miles in my 30 min cardio slot without my heartrate exceeding 150 and my max is 195. Running only 2 miles after my workout would have me at maybe 120 or so which is right about 60%. Walking on an incline barely gets me to 100. (my resting is 52) FWIW
Yes, thats a good point. Instead of saying high and low intensity, I should have went with MHR's. If I do cardio post strength training I usually keep it around 60% of MHR whereas on non strength days I'm usually around 85%.