Moose's Diet Thread

mrmoose63

mrmoose63

Awards
Hey guys... first I just wanted to say thanks for contributing to my Insulin Sensitivity Thread.. very informative... I was hoping I could get the same help with my diet... this is what I've been doing the past two weeks or so... strength has been very awesome and overall motivation is up, not to mention I'm actually getting hungry!!! ... my glucose readings are very similar to the 1.5 weeks (~90-100mg/dl) I was following a super low carb diet so there's proof in my pudding

Meal 1: 3eggs, 1/2 cup egg whites, 1.5cups skim milk, 1 apple

Meal 2:1oz almonds, 1oz walnuts

Meal 3:Chili - 4oz 91% lean ground beef and 1 cup pinto beans

Meal 4: 6oz Chicken Breast, 4oz red potatoes(supposed to be lower gi), 1 cup broccoli or green beans, 1 cup pinto beans

Meal 5: (1hr preworkout)6oz Chicken Breast, 4oz red potatoes(supposed to be low gi), 1 cup broccoli or green beans, 1.5 cup skim milk

Meal 6: (Postworkout) 1.5 cups skim milk with 2.5scoop whey

Cals 2550: 255g pro/ 212g carb(41fiber)/ 79g fat

Ratio: ~ 40pro/30carb/30fat

I'm 5'9" 307lbs(gained 7lbs w/ carbs due to water/glycogen) about 22-24% bf(estimated via calipers)

I really wanna lose weight in a healthy fashion and ultimatly reach my goal of ~13% bf... My main goal is getting healthy again... I'm looking to increase my insulin sensitivity(and thus looking to keep everything as low GI as possible), and just feel better in general.. I've been trying to lose weight for quite a while, but when I started I cut cals to about 1000cal/day... needless to say this was before I understood any aspect of nutrition and while I did lose 30lbs or so it was most likely ALL muscle and I put the weight back on FAST when I started eating my old shitty diet... so I know I screwed my metabolism because when I tried it again I didn't lose an ounce... my body would not let any weight go even as low as 1000 cals...so anyways..... here I am... I know a bit more about nutrition, most of which I can attribute to Burn the Fat , Feed the Muscle...but I'm looking for some more input on the diet I've put together

My plan is to eat 2500cals for 6 days a week and then have a "refeed" day... totally clean with 3200-3500cals to help "reset" my metabolism

So thoughts? Suggestions...Questions?

-Moose

mrmoose63

mrmoose63

Awards
... I'm getting the impression from some other threads that 2550cals isn't nearly enough for me ... using the Katch-McArdle LBM BMR Formula w/ an activity factor of 1.5 = 4000cals...

So over the next two weeks should I gradually increase my cals to 4000... keep them there for a week and then drop to 3500 for as long as that yeilds me any consistent loss, and then drop another 500 cals

To be honest I've been eating 2200-2500 cals for a long time while not making any real progress... could it potentially be due to "starvation mode"

mrmoose63

mrmoose63

Awards
... I'd really appreciate some feedback on this....
:burger:

-Moose

mrmoose63

mrmoose63

Awards
So this plan is SOOOOO good no one will even comment on it ehh... if only it were true :rofl:

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think your general diet looks pretty good, I would add more vegtables maybe. I'd have to know more about your body composition to comment on your calorie intake.

I can give you an example, at 240-250 around 25% body fat I would start at around 2700 calories. I'm thinking 3200-3500 for you yes. Start higher and reduce if necessary.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I'm 5'9" 307lbs(gained 7lbs w/ carbs due to water/glycogen) about 22-24% bf(estimated via cali
I just want to be sure: your not a PLer? You have never done gear? And you have dieted and been working out for along time? If yes to any the stop reading.

If not then I think you need to think about the above quote.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
red potatoes(supposed to be lower gi)
Sweet potatoes not red potatoes

My plan is to eat 2500cals for 6 days a week and then have a "refeed" day... totally clean with 3200-3500cals to help "reset" my metabolism
Don't bother, you won't reset your metabolism that way.

I figure your RMR to be ~3100 kcals. That is not considering your your activity for the day i.e. weight training, cardio. Decent starting point would be 3100kcals + activity kcals- 500kcals. JMO Try it, see if it works, adjust as needed.

mrmoose63

mrmoose63

Awards
I just want to be sure: your not a PLer? You have never done gear? And you have dieted and been working out for along time? If yes to any the stop reading.

If not then I think you need to think about the above quote.
Not quite sure what you mean here... I've never done gear.. I did lift for 5yrs freshman year in HS -> freshman year of college in a powerlifting style(I'm assuming here, I never competed but I was focused on strength)... bench, squat, lunges, deads with reps 5-8 usually 4 sets... I took off ~2 years and gained a shitload of fat and got insulin resistant.. I've always been rather large... As a freshman in HS I was 5'9 weighed 225lbs pretty damn lean(no 6 pack but no belly)... for the 5 years I lifted hard I ate like a monster, what I would estimate now to be 4000-6000 cals a day
:jaw: I've been trying to figure out how to diet for a while... because of my prediabetic diagnosis... otherwise I just want to get healthy again..

I started off by learning how to count cals not know jack about jack i shot for 1200 cals (knowing what I do know I probably lose tons of muscle :nutkick:) a day thinking 2000 was ideal to maintain... I initially dropped from 275 down to 250 but when I started eating poorly I shot back up to 300...

I tried it again and it didn't work... then I got a little more educated on nutrition (ABs Diet, Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle, Rosedale Diet) toyed with trying a ketogenic diet out for a while because I was having no success, after 1.5 weeks I was dog tired and my workouts blew...

so now I'm going with a more balanced macro that Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle recommends for endomorphs...This view was just reaffirmed in my insulin sensitivity diet thread...

I'm thinking the majority of my problem may be stemming from the "starvation mode" because I've been eating so few cals for someone my size for so long

-Moose

mrmoose63

mrmoose63

Awards
Sweet potatoes not red potatoes

Don't bother, you won't reset your metabolism that way.

I figure your RMR to be ~3100 kcals. That is not considering your your activity for the day i.e. weight training, cardio. Decent starting point would be 3100kcals + activity kcals- 500kcals. JMO Try it, see if it works, adjust as needed.
Thanks for the clarification on the potatoes... I really thought I saw somewhere that red potato GI was ~45 but I guess not

So would a good plan be for
Workout Days: 3500 cals
Off Days: 3100 cals

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Are you saying that you burn 900 calories during exercise on workout days?

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Not quite sure what you mean here... I've never done gear.. I did lift for 5yrs freshman year in HS -> freshman year of college in a powerlifting style(I'm assuming here, I never competed but I was focused on strength)... bench, squat, lunges, deads with reps 5-8 usually 4 sets... I took off ~2 years and gained a shitload of fat and got insulin resistant.. I've always been rather large... As a freshman in HS I was 5'9 weighed 225lbs pretty damn lean(no 6 pack but no belly)... for the 5 years I lifted hard I ate like a monster, what I would estimate now to be 4000-6000 cals a day
:jaw: I've been trying to figure out how to diet for a while... because of my prediabetic diagnosis... otherwise I just want to get healthy again..

I started off by learning how to count cals not know jack about jack i shot for 1200 cals (knowing what I do know I probably lose tons of muscle :nutkick:) a day thinking 2000 was ideal to maintain... I initially dropped from 275 down to 250 but when I started eating poorly I shot back up to 300...

I tried it again and it didn't work... then I got a little more educated on nutrition (ABs Diet, Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle, Rosedale Diet) toyed with trying a ketogenic diet out for a while because I was having no success, after 1.5 weeks I was dog tired and my workouts blew...

so now I'm going with a more balanced macro that Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle recommends for endomorphs...This view was just reaffirmed in my insulin sensitivity diet thread...

I'm thinking the majority of my problem may be stemming from the "starvation mode" because I've been eating so few cals for someone my size for so long

-Moose
What am saying is that 5'9 307lbs with a 22% bf is like the size of an elite PLer on gear. I think that you have underestimated your BF. Or you are a freak of nature.

mrmoose63

mrmoose63

Awards
What am saying is that 5'9 307lbs with a 22% bf is like the size of an elite PLer on gear. I think that you have underestimated your BF. Or you are a freak of nature.
Gotcha... I'm just going by what the trainer at the gym told me, and what my crappy at home accu-measure calipers said... for all I know I could be 25-30%

mrmoose63

mrmoose63

Awards
Are you saying that you burn 900 calories during exercise on workout days?
oh I see what you're referring to... I read it like you were saying an average workout activity level would yield 500 cals

So with workouts of 500 cal level
Workout Days: 3100
Off Days: 2600

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
To be honest I've been eating 2200-2500 cals for a long time while not making any real progress... could it potentially be due to "starvation mode"
Nope, if you cut back calories too much you will likely see a dramatic shift to muscle catabolism but as long as you maintain the same activity level you would still lose overall weight.

If your weight is not steadily decreasing (say over a couple weeks) then you are not achieving a continuous energy deficit.