Cardio, Cardio, Cardio

Jerid007

Awards
I'm currently between jobs and awaiting a trip to China... So I pretty much have all day to train.

I'm trying to lose some bodyfat and am doing cardio (1/2 hour in in the morning, 1/2 hour in the afternoon, 10min before weights in the evening, and 20min after weights). I'm lifting 4 days a week.

I'm 35(male), 5'11, 220 (was 230), but still have love handles :(

What to do?

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
I think you are over training

i would say do 45 min in the morning on an empty stomach!
Eating anything before you do cardio will more than likely get converted into sugar so your body can use it as a quick source of energy. No one wants that.

As for pre-work out the 10 minutes seems good, real light though. Maybe 2.5mph on the treadmill, just enough to warm up your body.

After your workout i would say do a 20-25 session of cardio. With all your cardio you dont wanna go to the point where you couldnt have a conversation with someone while you are doing it. I believe the most effective way of cardio is to get on a treadmill at a 15 degree incline at 3.0-3.5 mph. You want to keep your heart rate in the "Fat-loss" zone, not the "Cardio-vascular zone". In the fat-loss zone your heart rate doesnt have to get the energy as quickly, so it can take time to break down stored fats and fatty acids. In the cardio zone, your muscles need energy, and the quickest way for energy is to pull from the glycogen stores that are in your skeletal muscle. And when your muscles dont have a steady source of glycogen, they will literally go through "gluconeogenesis". This is where your proteins and amino acids (what your muscle is comprised of) will break down into glucose, and that is the worst thing in the world.
Right after your cardio (both am and pm) wait 20-30 minutes before you take a meal/mrp/protein shake. Your body will still be in lipolysis during that time, so you want to let it go for extra.

Good luck man.

zaph123

Board Supporter
Awards
interesting........... a 15degree incline is that whta number like a 4 or 3 on a treadmill.

whale

Awards
45 min is better at a strong pace you should be able to string a couple of words together before a big breath if you cant you are going a bit fast. This is different for everyone. If you can only get a word inbetween breaths back off a bit. As far as the empty stomach thing goes well that is an idea although it is not proven to be that much more effective in my opinion not to say it is not a good idea just not proven as of yet by studies that are overwhelming. The other thing is diet. Men typicaly hold love handles until the end and that is were you are going with this. So just keep training and it will come off. But more is not always better as the last post stated, so drop it down and go longer.

dunimous

Board Supporter
Awards
I disagree with the cardio on empty stomach. In my opinion it is very catabolic that way. Read the thread on cardio on an empty stomach for more info.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Low intensity cardio on an empty stomach isn't catabolic.

The term "catabolic" is thrown around WAY too much and is a result of an extreme condition, not a reasonably well fed (and yes 500 below maintenance is still relatively well fed) individual.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Low intensity cardio on an empty stomach isn't catabolic.
Sure it is...for fat. I think many believe the word only applies to muscle. BTW, nice avatar, Bobo! VERY nice! Is that from KILLER CLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE?

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Whats your diet like, have patience, do HIIT, try not to mix llifting with cardio, do cardio in the morning and lifting later, thats all you need. Eat below maintenance. Eat 5-6 times a day.

Love handles will be the last to go
hang in there.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
I suggest that you try to do 45 minuts in the morning. You are overtraining. How are your eating habits

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I like to mix it up. During 45 min everyday is boring and I don't think most people will stick with it lonf then a few months. I am starting to do intervels on the bike and rower.Not alot and not everyday. I am doing it twice a week.