The young pup needs some old school advice

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
Well this is my first thread that I have ever started. Im an ex-powerlifter at the age of 19, due to injuries. This time last year I weighed 323lbs at 6 feet tall. Today I am 270lbs, same height (I hope) and I have a case of gynecomastia. The Gyno is not due to pro-test or steroids, just from puberty and an excess of estrogen produced when i was lifting my hardest. I am getting a procedure to remove the gyno in may sometime. I am a second year pharmacy student at the University of Toledo, so let the big words fly and medical terms steam. Basically here are my measurements.

Chest- 54"
Shoulders- 65"
Waist-38"
Biceps-18"

Im trying to get to 235lbs by the beginning of May, that means from today I have 35lbs to go.

I lift 6 times a week/cardio 6 times a week (30-45minutes)
and my caloric intake is around 1000-1500 a day.

I know it is drastic, but it works for me. But I am always open to criticism and new methods. So Im asking you Old dogs to give this pup some information and possibly some supps that will help me achieve my goal.

Quote- Pat Glenn - Weightlifting commentator: "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria....I saw her snatch this morning and it was amazing."

Danl4560

Awards
Well this is my first thread that I have ever started. Im an ex-powerlifter at the age of 19, due to injuries. This time last year I weighed 323lbs at 6 feet tall. Today I am 270lbs, same height (I hope) and I have a case of gynecomastia. The Gyno is not due to pro-test or steroids, just from puberty and an excess of estrogen produced when i was lifting my hardest. I am getting a procedure to remove the gyno in may sometime. I am a second year pharmacy student at the University of Toledo, so let the big words fly and medical terms steam. Basically here are my measurements.

Chest- 54"
Shoulders- 65"
Waist-38"
Biceps-18"

Im trying to get to 235lbs by the beginning of May, that means from today I have 35lbs to go.

I lift 6 times a week/cardio 6 times a week (30-45minutes)
and my caloric intake is around 1000-1500 a day.

I know it is drastic, but it works for me. But I am always open to criticism and new methods. So Im asking you Old dogs to give this pup some information and possibly some supps that will help me achieve my goal.

Quote- Pat Glenn - Weightlifting commentator: "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria....I saw her snatch this morning and it was amazing."
Nobody likes to be lectured, so I won't bother, but is the 1000-1500 calorie intake per day a typo?

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
no, i know its retarded, but 1000-1500 is correct.....i know im sacrificing muscle to burn the fat, but i wanna get down then build back up.

THETEST

Awards
  • Established
Wow I hope it is a type o - at your size, you need to slowly loose - may 3-5 lbs a week max - 3 is better. I would suggest that you up your calories and eat clean. You did not say, so I will advise that you have 6 meals a day, do 45 min of cardio in the morning before breakfast and at night after your workout. To help fat loss, take some fat burning supplements - CLA, 7-Keto, Lean Out from Beverly International. Drink lots of water - 2+ gallons. Meals - 3 MRPs with a table spoon of flax oil, and 3 whole meals - chicken or fish 8-10 oz, and the same for Sweet potato, or a cup and a 1/2 of brown rice - all the salad you can eat. Start with the cardio 3-4 days a week, and if you are getting enough sleep - increase the number of days but not the amount of time on the treadmill. In 45 min, start out where you can without breathing so hard you can't talk - work your way up to a 15 degree angle and 3.5 mph - never go above it - we want to burn fat. Good luck

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the insight, that sounds like a meal i did when i wanted to maintain. If i look at food i gain weight, im pretty sure im hypothyrioidic, but I am also a college student who has little to no money. I have to live off of turkey breast, tuna, chicken (occasionally), even then it is fried and i have to rip all the skin off. I eat about 4-5 small meals a day. I drink around 1- 1.5 gallons a day. I am willing to sacrifice muscle, and burn off the fat. Thank you for the insight

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Umm the more muscle you have the more cals you burn. Your drastic calorie deficit will do nothing but shut down your metabolism and you'll burn up nothing except muscle. If your looking to walk around with a load of fat and no muscle, then hey, keep up what your doing. Your basically starving yourself to death. I can't imagine you have any energy at all working out six days a week, 270 pounds and 1000-1500 cals.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
If you truly are hypothyroidic, then that drastic of a calorie cut will **** you up bro. I'm not a doctor (Just an EX. SCI grad student), but that is not healthy.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
No way thats all the calories your takin in. I am cutting at 1900 ed, weigh 172lbs currenty and am constantly starving. Are you sure you are accurately tracking them?I agree with above posts especially regarding a drastic caloric deficit shutting down your metabolism making your efforts mute. If you really feel you have thyroid problems get checked by a doctor. Perhaps T-3 & T-4 scripts will be in your future. Lack of proper nutrition can also cause your thyroid to slow down and at 1000-1500 kcals it would seem that you would be deficient in micro nutrients as well. What type of supplements are you taking?

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
If you think you are hypothyrioidic then get tested first.

CROWLER

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow, your overtraining and undereating. I will give you myself as an example at 235 I started my cut using about 2700 calories a day and went to about 2400 near the end. I am an endo but instead of cutting calories I at very very clean. I attained bf of 6%. Eat about 6 to 8 times a day, lots of vegtables such as brocolli, cauliflower, green beans. Plenty of protein I would say at least 250 grams a day from various lean sources such as tuna, chicken and lean steak. Start out with about 3 hours cardio a week and lift hard 3 times a week. Limit Carb intake (you are eating tons of vegtables a lot of your carbs will come from these). You can have a yam mid day and a little rice at supper. Oh and don't forget your morning oateal.

There that's about 1000% percent better, now make a plan and post it and we can teak it.

I guarantee if you do this and do it with conviction you will be very successful.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Alcar and RLA works for most people. losing weight too fast destroys muscle. I would concentrate on building muscle and maintaining calories, using high reps 10-12, 3 to 4 sets, whole body workouts 3 times a week. JMO

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
Well how about this idea

Wake up at 8am
drink my MRP (10g protein and 180 calories)

Elipitical for 45 minutes and 10 minutes on treadmill

Eat breakfast at 9:15
Oatmeal
Banana
2 12oz. of H20

Eat lunch at around 11:15
Turkey Breast
Peppers (bell)
Broccoli
1/2 Cup of Cottage Cheese
2 12oz. of Water

Take my Nitro Explosion (GNC's answer to NO-Xplode)

Train at 1 to 1:45
do 15 minutes more cardio

2 scoops of Whey Protein post training

Eat dinner around 5-6pm.
Subway (6inch sub) or same as lunch

Snack
1 rice cake
TBS of Power PB (Natural PB with flax oil and seeds)
TBS of Sugar-Free Jelly

I am currently 270lbs and I would like to cut down to 235 by April 1st. Is that possible? If it is, will this be a good answer to it? Also I am drinking an additional Gallon of water that I did not list here. Should I cut out the Nitro Explosion for quicker weight loss? Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Back to the drawing board. I am figuring your BF% as 25; might be less but it is just point out the fact that you have a lean bodymass of 202lbs which you need to provide for. From what I could figure for basic maintenance your needs would be ~2800 calories. That is not considering your activity.

Do as suggested in the meantime and get your T3 & T4 levels checked. maybe you can get something prescribed that will boost your metabolism (triiodothyronine T3 or synthroid T4) but you are probably well aware of the meds.

O/T
Are you going for PharmD?

okboy63

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Your mrp is 10 g protein and 180 calories ?
That sounds like slim fast or something
10 g protein = 40 calories, is the rest carbs ? I would find a new mrp

Your a 19 year old 270lb guy.
Figure your protein needs first then fill in your other calories with carbs or fat depending what macros your going for(40/40/20, keto etc). I'm guessing 250 to 300 gram protein would be about right
Your breakfast does not have enough protein
Your last snack is carb/fat meal.
Protein/fat meal ok. protein/carb meal ok. carb/fat meal not so great

Here is a take on your diet just using the food you listed

Wake do eliptical

Breakfast
oatmeal
cottage cheese

Lunch as posted

PWO
2 scoops whey + banna

Dinner
doublemeat chicken subway wrap/flax

last meal
Cottage cheese or meat or egg whites or some kind of decent mrp or some protein mix caesin/whey

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
Jonny yes I am applying for my Pharm D this year. I have a 3.56, but I doubt that it will be high enough to get in. Should I start taking that Nitro Explosion (L-Arginine and Creatine Matrix, similiar to BSN's NO-Xplode)? And Okboy thanks for the tweaking, it sounds like I could abide to that...anyone else have anymore comments, or info?

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wake up at 8am
Just a protein shake no carbs (if anything at all)

Elipitical for 45 minutes and 10 minutes on treadmill

Eat breakfast at 9:15
Oatmeal
Banana
2 12oz. of H20

Eat lunch at around 11:15
Turkey Breast
Peppers (bell)
Broccoli, cauliflower, green beans
1/2 med sized yam
2 12oz. of Water

Take my Nitro Explosion (GNC's answer to NO-Xplode)

Train at 1 to 1:45
do 15 minutes more cardio

2 scoops of Whey Protein post training

Eat dinner around 5-6pm.
Chicken, lean steak or tuna with vegtables (same as lunch 1/2 yam

Snack
TBS of Power PB (Natural PB with flax oil and seeds)
Casein protein shake

This diet may still need work but it's one hell of a lot better than what you had, Jelly and rice cakes are not what you should be eating late in the day,there were not enough vegtables in your diet, and stay miles away from subway unless you want to look like Jared.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
Personally I think the cardio in the morning would be good, and just focus on proper lifting during your mid day workout.

I think you should focus on weight training, and adding lean muscle. If your diet is in check, and over time your BMR will rise...fat should just start coming off with the added muscle.

also add in some skim milk as your drink for a few meals, and drink water throughout the entire day, not just with meals. Shoot for at least a gallon throughout the day aside from what you drink during your cardio and weight training.

h19

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
I am an EXTREME endomorph, i look at the wrong food and i put on 5lbs. Im getting my Thyroid checked, If I am hypothyroidic they will probably put me on Synthroid for T4 levels. If I find out I am not hypothryoidic and I just stick with the Dreamweavers recommendation, is it possible to be at 245-235 by april? I would like to shed as much fat as possible and keep as much as possible(obviously). Focus on medium-light weight for high reps? How many groups a day? and Cardio and Weight training 6 times a week, is that too much?

I really appreciate alll the help.

Also, sticking with the Creatine/L-Arginine Matrix is kosher?

THETEST

Awards
  • Established
Creatine can make you retain water - and is good for bulking up for some people, but I do not think it is where you should spend your money. CLA, Lean Out (from Beverly Nutrition) and other non-thermogenics are best. If you use thermogenics be careful of your heart rate and blood pressure. They can be dangerious. L-Arginine is good with lycine to promotre TEST. But as supplements go, I dont think that is your priority. If you want to buy a supplement, buy some EFAs like Flax Oil, and balance your protein, carb, fat intake 40/40/20 on calories. You may need to adjust that depending on how your body reacts, but do not go below 55/30/15. Other guys may have some advice to - I have started at 200lbs and competed at 165 to 170 going from 18% bf to 12, then 14 to 8. I would not go on stage under 9% and even then, abs barely show. nice slow cardio to burn the fat is what you need. - AND YES _ SLEEP. If you workout too much, you will get shitty sleep, and get off your diet, and not loose fat.

THETEST

Awards
  • Established
Cardio - twice a day for 45 min 7 days a week, if you have the time the commitment and can recover. You should be able to talk without too much heavy breathing, so start slow, and up it (speed or incline degrees) every week. On weights, 45 mins 3 times a week is fine - get in the recovery time. I would suggest you do a full body workout 3 times a week for now until you loose some more fat. Get down in the 16% range, then you could move to a 4 day a week schedule, two rotations of upper body, then legs, rest then repeat. Do not worry now much about gaining muscle you will gain it faster when you have lost some fat. You need to listen to your body, if you are over tired, wakeup with your heart racing, etc. Then you are over doing and will not get the results - you will burn out. Set some realistic goal - loosing 3 lbs a week is good, 2 is better. more will cause your body to fight you, and you will loose.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am an endo too, and it's not only possible to lose the weight it's probable if you eat cleanly.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wait you can lose 25 lbs by the end of april, april is sooner than I thought.

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
Ok I just picked up some CLA. When should I take this stuff to have it be most effective. As for now, im gonna go with the Tweaked Meal plan and routine that DreamWeaver reccomended.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
it looks like u have an idea of what u plan on doing. It also seems u are doing exactly what people say, which is fine for now. Just be sure to pay attention to ur body, and adjust anything accordingly. After a few weeks/months...start playing aorund with diet and exercise and see if some things work better for you

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
Well I used to be a powerlifter, and I was pretty much bred to be a Lineman and Fullback for my football team. The term "cutting" never really meant anything to me. I would still be a powerlifter if I hadnt broke my sternum and torn my hamstring (seperate incidents). So cutting the fat from my existing muscle is a relatively new world to me. I am taking everything I get in this forum to the heart, because I believe you guys have a better plan of attack than I would.

Also the CLA, when and how many should I take?
Should I start up with my Nitro Explosion during cutting (NE is like NO-Xplode)?
I am not going to weigh myself for a month, I will rely more on measurements, the scale can decieve.

Also I am a college student, soooo Yams might be hard to come by. I can scrounge some chicken and turkey, but the yams, yea they arent in high commodity. Any other source of Comp. Carbs I could do instead?

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A small quantity of parboiled rice would suffice. You can get yams at any grocery store, you'd just have to cut'm up and nuke them.

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
And the Conjugated Linoleic Acid, when should that be taken for optimal results?