casein vs whey

locoangmo

Awards
A few months ago I read an article titled "Effect of a hypocaloric diet, increased protein intake and resistance training on lean mass gains and fat mass loss in overweight police officers."
What was amazing about the article was the fact that lean mass and strength increases as well as fat loss was significantly greater on the test subjects that supplimented their protein intake with casein protein vesus the group that supplimented with whey. The conclusion was the casein provided better nitrogen retention and overal anticatabolic effects.
If you would like to read this article there is a copy posted in BB.coms protein article. The one I read first came from another site I cannot remember which. The study was done in 2000 by Demling and DeSanty
The protein was called casein hydrolysate and whey hydrolysate.

Now I understand why whey would work as a better post work-out supp due to faster Bio availability. Other than that, why would you not use casein? How would animal proteins behave in the same experiment compared to casein?

Does anyone know of a good source of casein hydrolysate besides protein bars and I am guessing cottage cheese. Can you buy casein hydrolysate?

Thanks for your help, LOCO

Draven

Awards
  • Established
yes, I believe proteinfactory.com sells it. Proteincustomizer.com might as well.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Both have their uses, I agree whey post workout and casein duriing the day and b4 bed. One other possible use for whey is when you need to increase the frequency of protein intake because you have to take in large amounts (when cutting for instance). They whey absorbs faster allowing your to take ti more frequently. Early morning is also a good time for whey. (Followed by your first meal).

Jay Mc

Awards
keep in mind that research was done on people on a hypocaloric diet. Doesn't mean thats the way your body will work when you are trying to bulk. I use whey, caesin, and soy protein at different times for different things. I get my caesin from cottage cheese but I hear the powders taste pretty rank....

J

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yah I blend Casein, Whey and Milk Isolate and the Casein makes it pretty gritty. I don't care much about taste anyhow, I just knock it back. I eat and take a lot worse tasting things. Try putting a gram of bromelein n your shakes and see how rank it tastes lol

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
Best **** so far is a protein Blend , you can use Whey for post workout and after waking up, and casein for before bed, I am actually using Optimum Pro Complex, best of both worlds.

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
The digestion rate of protein is an independent regulating factor of postprandial protein retention. Dangin, Martial, Yves Boirie, Clara Garcia-Rodenas, Pierre Gachon, Jacques Fauquant, Philippe Callier, Olivier Ballèvre, and Bernard Beaufrère. 1Laboratoire de Nutrition Humaine, Université Clermont Auvergne, Centre de Recherche en Nutrition Humaine, 63009 Clermont-Ferrand; 2Laboratoire de Technologie Laitière, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, 35042 Rennes, France; and 3Nestec, Nestlé Research Center, CH 1000 Lausanne 26 Switzerland
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
APStracts 7:0223E, 2000.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To evaluate the importance of protein digestion rate on protein deposition, we characterized leucine kinetics after ingestion of "protein" meals of identical amino acid composition and nitrogen contents but of different digestion rates. Four groups of five or six young men received an l-[1-13C]leucine infusion and one of the the following 30-g protein meals: a single meal of slowly digested casein (CAS), a single meal of free amino acid mimicking casein composition (AA), a single meal of rapidly digested whey proteins (WP), or repeated meals of whey proteins (RPT-WP) mimicking slow digestion rate. Comparisons were made between "fast" (AA, WP) and "slow" (CAS, RPT-WP) meals of identical amino acid composition (AA vs. CAS, and WP vs. RPT-WP). The fast meals induced a strong, rapid, and transient increase of aminoacidemia, leucine flux, and oxidation. After slow meals, these parameters increased moderately but durably. Postprandial leucine balance over 7 h was higher after the slow than after the fast meals (CAS: 38 ± 13 vs. AA: «minus»12 ± 11, P < 0.01; RPT-WP: 87 ± 25 vs. WP: 6 ± 19 µmol/kg, P < 0.05). Protein digestion rate is an independent factor modulating postprandial protein deposition.

Received 23 June 2000; accepted in final form 16 October 2000
APS Manuscript Number E284-0.
Article publication pending Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab
ISSN 1080-4757 Copyright 2000 The American Physiological Society.
Published in APStracts on 7 November 2000