What is the best portable protein that's real food? - AnabolicMinds.com

What is the best portable protein that's real food?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member

What is the best portable protein that's real food?

Protein bars are out, cuz you can't eat it all day with all that sugar, and it's not good for ya anyway since it's not real. Other than sliced grilled chicken breast, what else is there that's high in protein and a real food that's clean enough to carry around outside of home? These days I carry a half a dozen bagles wherever I go...I get all my calories and never have an empty stomach, but the tradeoff is I end with much more carbs and very little protein.

Btw...I was always too out of the loop to ask this...what is Keto?

2. Senior Member

Nuts is the best "portable" protein food, portable being the keyword. There are other less preferrable for "portablilty" but would be good for protein like the obvious chicken, etc.
  3. Banned

Tuna is good. Peanut butter, as Jake mentioned nuts (make sure they arent salted or coated.)

As far as Keto, theres a sticky about it in the nutrition section
    •   

4. Senior Member

There are ton of other foods that are less portable. What are you restrictions as far as transporting the food?
  5. Nelson

Canned tuna, salmon and beef jerky.
  6. New Member

You can also get canned chicken breast. For those of you who can't stand the taste of tuna.

Hard boiled eggs are not a bad idea. Not sure how long they would last unrefrigerated, but I would think at least 6 hours.

Yeah, as Jake asked what are your restrictions? If you have access to a refrigerator at work or school then the sky is the limit.
  7. New Member

Eggs are my portable meal, easy to carry around in a backpack, eat it and go to my class.
  8. Hal

Eggs, nuts & jerky are all great. My folks used to hide easter eggs around the house on Easter and they'd be out att least 12 hours before they were all found and I never got sick from that--they are fully cooked----of course, I'll toss a couple cooked chicken breasts in a tupperware container and graze on them after they've been out all day--maybe I just have a strrong constitution. A package of hot dogs works good too, especially if you're keto.
  9. Senior Member

mine are peanuts and cashews and homemade bars. however, like most have said already, canned tuna/chicken, hard-boiled eggs can easily be carried around all day but the stink gonna get to the people around you. (i personally dont care....ha) Sage
  10. Senior Member

yeah, eggs are a great choice, used to carry some to class as well, I'd just take em out and pop a few during lecture I don't care. ****in double bump to the homemade bars... dammit those ****ers taste sooo good... and I'd say probably preserve better for longer periods of time.
  11. Doctor Science

yeah i carry beef jerky with me sometimes.. like zero fat and a ****load of protein... tuna is good too although unless its albecore your breathe will be smelled by everyone within a 4 block radius so i suggest gum too
  12. Nelson

I`ve stopped using gum because of the sugar in it - only realised it had lots sugar recently.
  13. Senior Member

Originally posted by Nelson
    I`ve stopped using gum because of the sugar in it - only realised it had lots sugar recently.
    umm...there are sugar-free (sugar alchohol) gums partner (ha....kidding) Sage
  14. Board Supporter

These days, I always carry a jar of almond butter with me. Tastes better than any peanut butter imo (except skippy maybe).

Also, protein pancakes are highly portable and taste decent. I just use egg whites, oats and cinammon. Blend, fry and refridgerate. Great protein + carb meal on the go.
  15. New Member

Cottage cheese, low carb bars, myoplex, homemade yogurt mixed with fruit, or just whey in a shaker bottle I add water to. It really depends on what diet I am on.
    LOCO
  16. New Member

Originally posted by YellowJacket
    Peanut butter, as Jake mentioned nuts (make sure they arent salted or coated.)
    What's wrong with salt, and what do you mean by coated? Like candy?
  17. Senior Member

dry roasted vs all the other kinds, honey roasted etc that are sugar/salt coated and what have you... no good fo you... salt ain't bad in moderation, but there's no point in taking in ****loads via your little peanut snack
  18. New Member

Whoa...these are all great ideas. I personally like the sound of beef jerky. Sounds clean, won't go bad, and convenient. Opening a can of tuna or peeling an egg is gonna get some attention...I like it!! I'll do that during class tomorrow. As for my portability restrictions, I don't have too much freedom. It's in my bag or car all day. I just feel I'm eating WAAAY too much sugar from protein bars...so I wanted something more rich in protein, and more efficent than huge as bagels. I don't know how to find uncoated peanut butter...I'll work on that one. (Aren't they real fattening?)
  19. New Member

I love beef jerky but I have 2 problems with it. One it's too expensive and two I can't control myself when I have it.
  20. Senior Member

lose control? jerky-rage eh?
  21. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

well all good suggestions....but when i was in college, i kept a blender in my car.......when i wanted a shake...walked out there...brought the blender into the one cafe...plugged the ****er in and and started blending...... VVVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRR

**** was loud and lotsa people stared (jealous i think) but oh well....after i was done....washed it in a sink then back into my car......all in about 15 minutes.

jerkey is good, but like others said you dont wanna get too much sodium in just your snacks, so just try and get a low sodium one.....or TURKEY JERKEY.....

shiats expensive though....

h19
  22. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

also, i remember i used to drink these shakes in a can. it was pure protien (like the bars) from WWN. THey only had like 2g carbs and were real portable. Im not sure if they make them anymore though.
  23. Doctor Science

try and find some homemade jerky somewhere.. cheap as hell and its ten times better ..
  24. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

Originally posted by LakeMountD
    try and find some homemade jerky somewhere.. cheap as hell and its ten times better ..

my friends father makes venison jerkey..thats some good ish

25. New Member

Originally posted by baham99
    Whoa...these are all great ideas. I personally like the sound of beef jerky. Sounds clean, won't go bad, and convenient. Opening a can of tuna or peeling an egg is gonna get some attention...I like it!! I'll do that during class tomorrow. As for my portability restrictions, I don't have too much freedom. It's in my bag or car all day. I just feel I'm eating WAAAY too much sugar from protein bars...so I wanted something more rich in protein, and more efficent than huge as bagels. I don't know how to find uncoated peanut butter...I'll work on that one. (Aren't they real fattening?)
    well in that case, you have NO restrictions
    hardcore lifters have a cooler in their car and a portable cooler in school/work bags anything goes with a cooler....When I'm out all day I stack a cooler full of tuna, cottage cheese, rice you name it.....doesnt set me back a bit.
  26. Advanced Member

I make my own MRP's....Take some zip-lok snack bags....1scoop whey...1/3 cup skim milk powder....1 tbs fiber (phsillium husks) and a shaker cup. Make several packets....when you're ready dump the powder into your shaker with water, shake and chug. You could also add ground flax seeds or oatmeal which is what I am looking into doing next.
  27. Hal

I've made really tasty jerky in two different ways. First, you can buy a cheap roast, slice it into thin strips and marinade it with some bottled smoke, chili pepper, cumin and/or whatever else you like (bottled teriaki sauce is good too). After a day in the fridge, hang it with Christmas ornament hooks on the top rack of your oven and let it go at the lowest temp overnight. I've also taken hamburger, mixed spices with it and squeezed it out of a cookie gun onto waxed paper and put that in a dehydrator overnight.
  28. New Member

I like that new tuna that comes in the bag. No cans to open and you dont have to drain it. I buy cases of .5 liter bottles of water (can't stand tap water) and after I drink the water I use the bottle to make an RTD MRP.
  29. Hal

I refill the bottles half-way with filtered water and freeze 'em. Before I leave I top 'em off with more filtered water.
  30. New Member

One of my favorite things is string cheese sticks. Go get a bag of those, the reduced fat ones, each stick has like 7g protein and theyre pretty small so you could eat like 2-4 at once for a good amount of protein
  31. New Member

Originally posted by baham99
    Protein bars are the ultimate in portability, and there are a few low carb brands that taste good. I'm a big fan of Universal Nutrition's Dr. Carbrite Bars (8 different flavors). You can get 4 out of their 8 flavors at easypricematch.com for as low as $21.80 per box of 20 (5% discount by beating ************.net). Nutritionexpress.com carries all 8 flavors and charges a reasonable $23.80 per box of 20.

~Todd
  32. New Member

I may be missing something here from all you nut eaters, but although nuts are a good source of efa's isn't the protein content preety much unusable for muscle building being as it is a incomplete protein.
  33. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  194 lbs.

I haven't noticed anyone mention milk? I carry two litres of the stuff in rubermaid bottles and drink them throughout the day.
  34. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.

Skim Milk, jerkey, tuna.

35. Banned

I was always told begals were not good to eat is this incorrect?
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel
    They probably have a high GI. They're basically like white bread.
  37. Board Supporter

Almost everything, in my opinion, is portable. When I wa sin school (8 years ago now) I brought my oversized cooler to classes with me each and everyday. Our cafeteria had a microwave which allowed me to heat up the meals that required heating.

The only time things got tricky is when you're dieting down - no sandwiches allowed

A
  38. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel
    Whole grain bagels are fine for good carbs.
  39. New Member

Cook up a sirloin or london broil (or chicken), in one of those tupperware contrainers toss in some salad and slice thin slices of the meat. You can carry around most salad dressings all day without them going bad if they are fat free. All you need is a fork and chow down. Beef jerky is great too, check into the Wal-Mart brand. They have a big bag (something like 8 servings) for about 8 bucks.

The new foil pouch tina isn't a bad idea but with that breath all you'll attract are stray cats, and that's just the wrong kind of *****. Peanut butter is a good choice but most of the all natural kinds need to be refridgerated. If you're counting cals then go for a low fat type. Slice up an apple, let it sit for about a minute in water with some lemon juice and it will keep from going brown for a few hours (aren't anti-oxidents great?).

Everyday I load up enough for 3 meals at work. One is a protien drink, one a decent meal and one ussually an omlette made with egg beaters, some fat free or low fat cheese, some canadian bacon and some salsa on top. Yummy. I make it all the night before and then just pop it in the microwave for a minute at work.
  40. New Member

yea reduced fat but, thats still alot of fat in probably just 1 stick let alone 4.
    what kinda beef jerkey should i eat people. where can i buy it

Similar Forum Threads

1. What is the best workout supplement that you have used
    By MichaelMurphy in forum Supplements
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 12-05-2012, 06:48 AM
  2. Replies: 60
    Last Post: 05-11-2012, 02:53 PM
  3. what is the best male hormone thats safe?
    By g37mike in forum Bulking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-27-2011, 12:13 PM
  4. What is the best Protein?
    By Wudog in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-28-2009, 12:43 PM
  5. What is the best prohormone stack available?
    By KFlex in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2003, 03:13 PM