PWO carbs while cutting

Jeffrw

Jeffrw

Awards
I wanted to get some people's input on post-workout carbs while cutting. Should I stick with dextrose/malto or go low GI or drop them all together? It's seems like a very confusing area...like one if you're not careful enough you'll wreck your progress.

Thanks.

Malek256

Awards
Depends upon a lot of factors, the most important two being your body type (do you collect body fat very easily) and the second being the kind of cut you are doing.

I have seen guys who do Velocity Diet style cuts do extremely well using high GI post workout carbs. Other guys do well aiming for the usual 40/40/20 splits and don't use the post workout carbs.

If you're an ectomorph, I think shutting off cortisol's going to be pretty important (post workout spike: yes) but much less so for endo or meso guys.

A highly, HIGHLY debatable point of view...

Jeffrw

Jeffrw

Awards
Depends upon a lot of factors, the most important two being your body type (do you collect body fat very easily) and the second being the kind of cut you are doing.

I have seen guys who do Velocity Diet style cuts do extremely well using high GI post workout carbs. Other guys do well aiming for the usual 40/40/20 splits and don't use the post workout carbs.

If you're an ectomorph, I think shutting off cortisol's going to be pretty important (post workout spike: yes) but much less so for endo or meso guys.

A highly, HIGHLY debatable point of view...
If I had to say a body type, I fall somewhere in between meso and endo. I've always had trouble figuring it on my own. I gain muscle fairly easy and fat gain takes some time. I also lose muscle somewhat fast. When I hurt my rotator cuff I missed 7 weeks of lifting and I lost about 12 lbs. But I seem to have zero problem meeting my goals when I get my ass in gear and stick to a diet and workout pan. But I am a little "soft" as well though...

As far as what kind of cut I am doing, I started at 230 with around 17% bf and would like to get around 10-12%. I've lost about 9lbs so far in just under four weeks while on Melting Point and Basic Cuts and 7-oxo-dhea (I'll be switching to LXT now that its back in stock). With the 7-oxo/lxt I'm not so sure that cortisol is a big problem. But I don't want to do anything or not do anything that I'll regret three months from now....

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I'd say stick with low GI carbs just to be on the safe side...they're still going to replenish your glycogen stores but without the potential for fat gain that a higher GI carb will.

BV

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
low GI carbs. May try 50g immediately PWO and another 20-30 1 hour later. With protein, of course.

cscsguy

Awards
Call me crazy, but unless you've just finished a 2-hour workout, you should stick to protein only after a workout, followed by a low-glycemic, whole food meal about an hour later (sweet potato, oatmeal, etc.). This is assuming you want to lose bodyfat, of course.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Call me crazy, but unless you've just finished a 2-hour workout, you should stick to protein only after a workout, followed by a low-glycemic, whole food meal about an hour later (sweet potato, oatmeal, etc.). This is assuming you want to lose bodyfat, of course.

depending on body type IMO. As an ecto, I know I need carbs immediately post such a workout with protein, and that carbs (at this time) will not negatively affect a cutting plan. That is, of course, my opinion only. If you have great difficulty shedding pounds and/or more of an endo, the protein only plan seems to work according to some people.