My blood test shows kidney dysfunction. Diet related???

tufnutz

Awards
I had a blood test last week (non-fasting). My Dr. informed me that several of the results were moderately elevated; indicating impaired kidney functions.

I am beginning to believe that I am consuming too much protein (approximately 330g/day; I weigh 200lbs) and that the creatine monohydrate (approx 5-10g day) led to the elevated creatinine levels.

Any comments from the mods or those with a science background would be appreciated.

BUN (Blood Urea Nitrogen)

This test measures the amount of urea nitrogen that's present in the blood. When protein is metabolized, the end product is urea which is formed in the liver and excreted from the bloodstream via the kidneys. This is why BUN is a good indicator of both liver and kidney function. Increased levels can stem from shock, burns, dehydration, congestive hear failure, myocardial infarction, excessive protein ingestion, excessive protein catabolism, starvation, sepsis, renal disease, renal failure, etc. Causes of a decrease in levels can be liver failure, overhydration, negative nitrogen balance via malnutrition, pregnancy, etc.

Normal range:
Adults
10-20 mg/dl
Mine: 33

Creatinine

Creatinine is a byproduct of creatine phosphate, the chemical used in contraction of skeletal muscle. So, the more muscle mass you have, the higher the creatine levels and therefore the higher the levels of creatinine. Also, when you ingest large amounts of beef or other meats that have high levels of creatine in them, you can increase creatinine levels as well. Since creatinine levels are used to measure the functioning of the kidneys, this easily explains why creatine has been accused of causing kidney damage, since it naturally results in an increase in creatinine levels.

However, we need to remember that these tests are only indicators of functioning and thus outside drugs and supplements can influence them and give false results, as creatine may do. This is why creatine, while increasing creatinine levels, does not cause renal damage or impair function. Generally speaking, though, increased levels are indicative of urinary tract obstruction, acute tubular necrosis, reduced renal blood flow (stemming from shock, dehydration, congestive heart failure, atherosclerosis), as well as acromegaly. Decreased levels can be indicative of debilitation, and decreased muscle mass via disease or some other cause.

Normal range:
Adult Male
0.6-1.2 mg/dl
Mine: 1.6

rhinochaser48

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Have you been using any anabolics of any kind?

Any other medical conditions that you take prescription drugs for?

What other supplements do you take?

How much water do you drink per day?

tufnutz

Awards
Have you been using any anabolics of any kind?

Any other medical conditions that you take prescription drugs for?

What other supplements do you take?

How much water do you drink per day?
1. No AAS, no prohormones.
2. No re other meds.
3. creatine, glutamine, ALCAR, r-ala, various vits and minerals, fish and flax oil, co-q10, zma, whey.
4. 1-2 gallons.

thanks.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
If you are concerned which it sounds like you are. Consider backing off the supplements, exercise, and meats for 2-3 days and repeat Labs. If still elevated your next step is a 24hr urine collection for a CC test. That is the the best way to tell if it is a renal or lifestyle issue.
Good Luck
peace