critique my pre-contest diet

WiNgS

Banned
Awards
i spent a lot of time on this and i have gone through a lot of trial and error, at one stage the best i could come up with is a 1800kcal diet but this is the creme de la creme of what i can a) afford b) manage to eat c) all the resources i have... i will start this 15 weeks out (in 7 days) and i want to lose about 20 - 25 lbs.... what do you guys think?

Diet

1) weetabix/oatmeal, protein shake, 2 hydroxycut, multi vitamin tablet

2) muller light yogurt

3) 1 tuna sandwich (2 slices brown bread)

4) 1 tuna sandwich (2 slices brown bread)

5) omelette (tuna, 2 eggs), 2 hydroxycut

6) weetabix/oatmeal (pre workout), glutamine

7) whey gainer (post workout), glutamine

8) 2 chicken breasts

9) 2 egg whites, protein shake

protein – 253g
carbs – 201g
fats – 45g
kcals - 2307

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
253g protein x 4 cals/g = 1012 cals

201g carb x 4 cals/g = 804 cals

45g fat x 9 cals/g = 405 cals

405+804+1012 = 2221 cals...

what are your stats bub?... got a general BRM idea? and is that 9 separate meals? think you can actually do that? if so props...

WiNgS

Banned
Awards
253g protein x 4 cals/g = 1012 cals

201g carb x 4 cals/g = 804 cals

45g fat x 9 cals/g = 405 cals

405+804+1012 = 2221 cals...

what are your stats bub?... got a general BRM idea? and is that 9 separate meals? think you can actually do that? if so props...
the meals r small......i can do it i believe......im 6ft 1 and 210lbs........ive put a lot of time into this and im at breaking point mentally because so many things are running through my head right now its crazy.......bodyfat, catabolsim, how i will look cut, how much muscle i will lose, how much muscle i have, if ive been undereating and just storing bodyfat (which i think i have),....im just so worried.....i got a pic for better judgement......its the only one i have sorry.....http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=1043603

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
good pic man, hadn't seen that, nice back width ("wings eh? :D )... I'd ditch the yogurt, but looks fine basically I'd say... what other supps are you using? got a good multi? liver tabs? extra C?... I may be wrong because I haven't looked at hydroxycut in a long time, but I think you'll need more than 4 daily to receive maximum benefit from it... something else to think about, if you can afford it, is a gulp or two of flax daily.

WiNgS

Banned
Awards
good pic man, hadn't seen that, nice back width ("wings eh? :D )... I'd ditch the yogurt, but looks fine basically I'd say... what other supps are you using? got a good multi? liver tabs? extra C?... I may be wrong because I haven't looked at hydroxycut in a long time, but I think you'll need more than 4 daily to receive maximum benefit from it... something else to think about, if you can afford it, is a gulp or two of flax daily.
thanks for your help bro, i need all the help i can get..... im gonna take up yoga because its like warfare going on inside my head..... i believe i have just been wasting my time during this bulk and i will end up looking like an ethopian and then end of my cut

MushMouth

Awards
Where are the healthy fats? I don't see any EFA's ... you definitely want those (particularly the Omega 3's) if you want to get as lean as possible while maintaining maximum muscle. Try to fit some fish oil/flax into your calorie scheme. Meal 8 & 9 appear to be protein only (which isn't good, it will promote gluconeogenesis), these would be ideal meals to consume your efa's with. Add more fibrous veggies, again, meal 8 & 9 could benefit from the addition of some broccoli.

I'd definitely ditch the yogurt in meal 2 since yogurt is high on the Insulin Index.

Last edited:

WiNgS

Banned
Awards
Where are the healthy fats? I don't see any EFA's ... you definitely want those (particularyly the Omega 3's) if you want to get as lean as possible. Try to fit some fish oil/flax into your calorie scheme. Meal 8 & 9 appear to be protein only (which isn't good, it will promote gluconeogenesis), these would be ideal meals to consume your efa's with. Add more fibrous veggies, again, meal 8 & 9 could benefit from the addition of some broccoli.

I'd definitely ditch the yogurt in meal 2 since yogurt is high on the Insulin Index.
ok thanks..... about the essential fats thing....egg yolks should cover that right? i have to have the yogurt because im at school....

MushMouth

Awards
Eggs yolks aren't going to cover your EFA needs, it would be best to eat salmon on a regular basis and/or supplement with fish oil caps and flax oil.

Instead of the yogurt why don't you have some fat free cottage cheese and mixed nuts. Excellent protein source and the nuts will provide you with some efa's.

WiNgS

Banned
Awards

Instead of the yogurt why don't you have some fat free cottage cheese and mixed nuts. Excellent protein source and the nuts will provide you with some efa's.
i wish i could get hold of some of that but i cant, im really limited

MushMouth

Awards
I don't know why I didn't notice this when I originally replied, but Meal 6 should contain some protein with it as well, and since meal 8 is your second post workout meal you may want to distribute some of your carbs to this meal, especially if you were taking in high GI carbs with your post-workout shake.

You could then make some of your earlier meals protein and fat meals.

Also, you could opt for a low gi carb source (oats) postworkout, and still keep meal 8 as protein + fat.

Last edited:

WiNgS

Banned
Awards
I don't know why I didn't notice this when I originally replied, but Meal 6 should contain some protein with it as well, and since meal 8 is your second post workout meal you may want to distribute some of your carbs to this meal, especially if you were taking in high GI carbs with your post-workout shake.

Also, you could opt for a low gi carb source (oats) postworkout, and still keep meal 8 as protein + fat.
thanks man, appreciate it :D

WiNgS

Banned
Awards

Diet

1) weetabix, protein shake, 2 hydroxycut, multi vitamin tablet

2) muller light yogurt

3) 1/2 can of tuna

4) 1/2 can of tuna

6) weetabix, (pre workout), glutamine

8) 2 chicken breasts, 1/2 cup brown rice

protein – 255g
carbs – 191g
fats – 42g
kcals - 2228

does that look any better? i took out the 4 slices of brown bread...and put in the 1/2 cup of rice post workout.... although the whey gainer gives me a good whack of 83g of carbs...so is the brown rice really necessary? its not as if i'll gan any muscle as im in a calorie deficit

MushMouth

Awards
You're getting there. The carbs in the second post-workout meal are more to prevent rebound hypoglycemia than anything else, so a lower gi source of carbs (like oats) would be better for preventing this than rice. I don't know how much protein is in weetabix, but maybe add some whey to this if you can in your pre-meal.

In meals 3 & 4 it would be nice if you could add some fat to these somehow ... I don't know if you've already bought your glutamine or not, but IMO the money would be better invested in flax and/or fish oil.

WiNgS

Banned
Awards
You're getting there. The carbs in the second post-workout meal are more to prevent rebound hypoglycemia than anything else, so a lower gi source of carbs (like oats) would be better for preventing this than rice. I don't know how much protein is in weetabix, but maybe add some whey to this if you can in your pre-meal.

In meals 3 & 4 it would be nice if you could add some fat to these somehow ... I don't know if you've already bought your glutamine or not, but IMO the money would be better invested in flax and/or fish oil.
so the last diet plan was better than the orginal right? i think thats the best i can get it otherwise its going to be too carby...i will look into some flax or fish oil....

MushMouth

Awards

so the last diet plan was better than the orginal right? i think thats the best i can get it otherwise its going to be too carby...i will look into some flax or fish oil....
Yes, its better than the original. If you get the flax or fish oil it would be even better - they'd reduce the need for carbs and "teach" your body to burn more fat. The way you've got it set up meals 3, 4, and 9 would be the ones you'd most benefit from adding the fat to.

WiNgS

Banned
Awards

Yes, its better than the original. If you get the flax or fish oil it would be even better - they'd reduce the need for carbs and "teach" your body to burn more fat. The way you've got it set up meals 3, 4, and 9 would be the ones you'd most benefit from adding the fat too.
interesting...... are there any supplement brands that sell it? im unsure but i think they have that stuff in "seven sea's" vitamin tablets...aswell as glucosomine and omega 3...:confused:

MushMouth

Awards
For the flax go to a health food store and look for brands like Barlean's or Spectrum, Udo's is another good blend of oil you could opt for.

There are numerous supplement companies that produce fish oil caps. Look for the ones that have the highest concentrations of EPA and DHA per cap.

Draven

Awards
  • Established
I'd go with flax oil over caps. You'd have to take an obscene amount of caps to get the same amount as the oil. I put a tbsp of flax in my morning and evening shakes. You don't even notice it.

MushMouth

Awards
Sure. All of those high gi carbs in your postworkout shake are going to cause a massive surge in insulin. The insulin will cause glucose to be rapidly cleared from your blood which could cause your blood sugar levels to drop below normal.

By ingesting a low gi carb source within an hour of your shake you'll be supplying a steady flow of carbs into your bloodstream to stabilize blood sugar.

WiNgS

Banned
Awards

Diet

1) weetabix, protein shake, 2 hydroxycut, multi vitamin tablet

2) muller light yogurt

3) 1/2 can of tuna

4) 1/2 can of tuna

protein – 255g
carbs – 191g
fats – 42g
kcals - 2228

my only worry with this diet is that i only got 20 - 25 lbs MAX to lose, along with taking hydroxycut and 3 cardio's per week... and starting 15 weeks out from my show... will i cut to soon? i got 2 shows 2 weeks apart from each other this is 15 weeks out from the first show.... i will just have to maintain for the two weeks untill the second show... if i place 1st or 2nd in either show i qualify to the 3rd show in September :D....what do you guys think?

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's not a pre-contest unless there's tons of fibrous veg in there. I am pretty surprised nobody mentioned that.

1) Oatmeal, protein shake, 2 hydroxycut, multi vitamin tablet

2) muller light yogurt

3) 1/2 can of tuna 1/2 cup brocolli, 1/2 cup cauliflower, 1/2 cup green beens

4) 1/2 can of tuna 1/2 cup brocolli, 1/2 cup cauliflower, 1/2 cup green beans

6) glutamine 1/2 cup brown rice or a yam

8) 2 chicken breasts, 1/2 cup brocolli, 1/2 cup cauliflower, 1/2 cup green beans

9) 2 egg whites, protein shake (casein) or cottage cheese.

There now it looks like a precontest diet. Might want to add some flax if the diet adds up to be low in carbs throw in more veggies. The veg choices are brocolli, green beans, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, snow peas or red peppers for a treat. On and you should be going much higher with the protein for precontest. I diet down to 200 and take 400 grams of protein. This goes a long way to preserving muscle mass. I think you should try for around 350.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not it at least 50% of those carbs come from fibrous vegtables.

WiNgS

Banned
Awards
i got the nutrional info wrong! i forgot about the milk! im taking milk out of the protein shakes but keeping it with the whey gainer... my diet is now

243g of protein
167g of carbs
42g of fat
2100 kcals

how does that sound?

should i put the whey gainer with breakfast or post workout? (swap it with protein shake for post workout) i will deffinately be having it with milk as it tastes TOO nasty with water

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't like the idea of mixing fat with carbs can you use skim milk. I think your cals are a little low I would definitely add more protein. You need more protein when your cutting in my opinion. Unless your on Keto, that's why I won't use Keto under 12 -15% I just don't trust it at that low of protein. On my current precontest I basically do not lose muscle mass and I don't hear too many people making that claim on Keto.

WiNgS

Banned
Awards
I don't like the idea of mixing fat with carbs can you use skim milk. I think your cals are a little low I would definitely add more protein. You need more protein when your cutting in my opinion. Unless your on Keto, that's why I won't use Keto under 12 -15% I just don't trust it at that low of protein. On my current precontest I basically do not lose muscle mass and I don't hear too many people making that claim on Keto.
i have a real slow metablism and my maintenance is like 2500 kcals, i do use skim milk, i would of thought my carbs and protein were pretty high enough as im about 1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight in protein and carbs i thought were high enough for a cutting diet.....i want to lose about 25lbs to be at 5% bodyfat....is 15 weeks enough time?

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's more than enough time, I don't see how your maintenance can be so low but I'll take your word for it 1.5 for 1 lb of lbm is what I use for bulking I use at least 2 for cuting. (usually more). Dieting is an individual thing but I am a little concerned atbout your protein intake some wouldn't be...

We could up your protein say 50 grams and the fact that your eating so many fibrous carbs will help (some foods take more energy to digest) and add a little cardio and I still think you'll do very well.

WiNgS

Banned
Awards
It's more than enough time, I don't see how your maintenance can be so low but I'll take your word for it 1.5 for 1 lb of lbm is what I use for bulking I use at least 2 for cuting. (usually more). Dieting is an individual thing but I am a little concerned atbout your protein intake some wouldn't be...

We could up your protein say 50 grams and the fact that your eating so many fibrous carbs will help (some foods take more energy to digest) and add a little cardio and I still think you'll do very well.
thanks for your help man i appreciate it, my maintenance is very low i know, im thinking of how i can bump up the protein without the carbs.....hmmmmmmm

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tuna, or a shake will do and egg whites are all protein. Veal leg is very lean and chicken breast boneless skinless.

WiNgS

Banned
Awards
Sure. All of those high gi carbs in your postworkout shake are going to cause a massive surge in insulin. The insulin will cause glucose to be rapidly cleared from your blood which could cause your blood sugar levels to drop below normal.

By ingesting a low gi carb source within an hour of your shake you'll be supplying a steady flow of carbs into your bloodstream to stabilize blood sugar.
can i just varify something....... why is this necessary?

MushMouth

Awards
Low blood sugar will leave you feeling lethargic and likely cause you to have some carb cravings. If you don't supply the carbs to restore blood sugar glucagon will trigger their release from the liver and then once the liver is depleted of glycogen it will go to the muscles for glucose via gluconeogenesis.

Someone else may have to clarify the glucagon process, its something that I'm still fuzzy on.

WiNgS

Banned
Awards
Low blood sugar will leave you feeling lethargic and likely cause you to have some carb cravings. If you don't supply the carbs to restore blood sugar glucagon will trigger their release from the liver and then once the liver is depleted of glycogen it will go to the muscles for glucose via gluconeogenesis.

Someone else may have to clarify the glucagon process, its something that I'm still fuzzy on.
right, thanks

WiNgS

Banned
Awards
looks like my diet was wrong AGAIN! my mum had been putting 2 cans of tuna in my lunch instead of 1! so that means my diet is more like this!

Diet

1) weetabix, protein shake, multi vitamin tablet

2) muller light yogurt

3) 2 can of tuna

5) omelette (tuna, 2 eggs, olive oil)

270g of protein
167g of carbs
42g of fat