Snack Foods?

Matt_Stuart

Awards
What are some good healthy snack foods that wont make you pack on all that extra weight?

Jblake

Awards
Sugar free jello. You can mix fruit or yogurt into it too. On the directions you use one part hot water to dissolve the powder, then add one part cold water and put it in the fridge. You can subsitute the cold water with an equal amount of yogurt and it comes out tasting awesome. Protein powder doesn't work so well; it settles at the bottom and tastes grainy.

Pretzels are good to munch on after you lift.
Fruit is also good if you're incorporating it into your diet.

Matt_Stuart

Awards
that sounds really good i am going to go buy some next time i am at the store and try it thanks alot man

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
pickled stuff (pickles,peppers, okra, etc) probably -cals by the time you digest it...

marshmallow man

marshmallow man

Awards
Sugar free jello. You can mix fruit or yogurt into it too. On the directions you use one part hot water to dissolve the powder, then add one part cold water and put it in the fridge. You can subsitute the cold water with an equal amount of yogurt and it comes out tasting awesome. Protein powder doesn't work so well; it settles at the bottom and tastes grainy.

Pretzels are good to munch on after you lift.
Fruit is also good if you're incorporating it into your diet.
Watch the yogurt, most contain High Fructose Corn Syrup!

Andrew

Matt_Stuart

Awards
I know that its not really something you should have alot of but I am not sure why? Can anyone explain why to me?

Jblake

Awards
High fructose corn syrup, or what? Corn syrup is more likely to be stored as fat and is really not a great carb for most times.

Search for fructose on here.

Just check the ingredients on the yogurt for fructose or sucrose. Get plain or the kind sweetened with splenda or aspartame. The sugar in plain yogurt is lactose, which isn't all that bad.

mab904

mab904

Awards
Here's some info I had on high fructose corn syrup...not even sure where i got it from now:confused:

High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is produced by processing corn starch to yield glucose, and then processing the glucose to produce a high percentage of fructose. It all sounds rather simple—white cornstarch is turned into crystal clear syrup. However, the process is actually very complicated. Three different enzymes are needed to break down cornstarch, which is composed of chains of glucose molecules of almost infinite length, into the simple sugars glucose and fructose.

First, cornstarch is treated with alpha-amylase to produce shorter chains of sugars called polysaccharides. Alpha-amylase is industrially produced by a bacterium, usually Bacillus sp. It is purified and then shipped to HFCS manufacturers.

Next, an enzyme called glucoamylase breaks the sugar chains down even further to yield the simple sugar glucose. Unlike alpha-amylase, glucoamylase is produced by Aspergillus, a fungus, in a fermentation vat where one would likely see little balls of Aspergillus floating on the top.

The third enzyme, glucose-isomerase, is very expensive. It converts glucose to a mixture of about 42 percent fructose and 50-52 percent glucose with some other sugars mixed in. While alpha-amylase and glucoamylase are added directly to the slurry, pricey glucose-isomerase is packed into columns and the sugar mixture is then passed over it. Inexpensive alpha-amylase and glucoamylase are used only once, glucose-isomerase is reused until it loses most of its activity.

There are two more steps involved. First is a liquid chromatography step that takes the mixture to 90 percent fructose. Finally, this is back-blended with the original mixture to yield a final concentration of about 55 percent fructose—what the industry calls high fructose corn syrup.

According to a food technology expert, two of the enzymes used, alpha-amylase and glucose-isomerase, are genetically modified to make them more stable. Enzymes are actually very large proteins and through genetic modification specific amino acids in the enzymes are changed or replaced so the enzyme's "backbone" won't break down or unfold. This allows the industry to get the enzymes to higher temperatures before they become unstable.

But there's another reason to avoid HFCS. You may think that because it contains fructose, which we associate with fruit, which is a natural food, that it is healthier than sugar. A team of investigators at the USDA, led by Dr. Meira Field, has discovered that this just ain't so.

Sucrose is composed of glucose and fructose. When sugar is given to rats in high amounts, the rats develop multiple health problems, especially when the rats were deficient in certain nutrients, such as copper. The researchers wanted to know whether it was the fructose or the glucose moiety that was causing the problems. So they repeated their studies with two groups of rats, one given high amounts of glucose and one given high amounts of fructose. The glucose group was unaffected but the fructose group had disastrous results. The male rats did not reach adulthood. They had anemia, high cholesterol and heart hypertrophy—that means that their hearts enlarged until they exploded. They also had delayed testicular development. Dr. Field explains that fructose in combination with copper deficiency in the growing animal interferes with collagen production. (Copper deficiency, by the way, is widespread in America.) In a nutshell, the little bodies of the rats just fell apart. The females were not so affected, but they were unable to produce live young."The medical profession thinks fructose is better for diabetics than sugar," says Dr. Field, "but every cell in the body can metabolize glucose. However, all fructose must be metabolized in the liver. The livers of the rats on the high fructose diet looked like the livers of alcoholics, plugged with fat and cirrhotic."

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
This is funny, I'm writing a paper on Obesity and HFCS has a part in it. Not good stuff at all. Goes to show you that the food industry will throw anything in their products to save/make a few bucks.

Matt_Stuart

Awards
Thank you Mab, i will stay away from it I didnt know it was so bad.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
Try the unsalted peanuts or cashews. Great healthy snack. BTW, nice read Mab.

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I like almonds, peanuts, fat free low sugar yogurt, fat free sugar free pudding. My FAVORITE snack believe it or not is oatmeal wiht sugar free maple syrup on it. I eat it usually twice a day.

marshmallow man

marshmallow man

Awards
How about cottage cheese and fruit....like pears, peaches...

Matt_Stuart

Awards
Try mixing it with fat free yogurt. Sounds gross but tastes great.

Blend it with Splenda and cinnamon for a spread to put on a bagel
mixing the yogurt with the cottage cheese? And a speard oh man that sounds good haha, blend all of it together with spelnda and cinnamon?

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
mixing the yogurt with the cottage cheese? And a speard oh man that sounds good haha, blend all of it together with spelnda and cinnamon?
Mixing the yogurt with cottage cheese is solo. You mix it and eat it like that. Its actually very good.

The cottage cheese /splenda / cinnamon,..bledn in blender or food processor and then use as a spread.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Who has time for snacks when your eating 7+ meals a day? ok just had to get that out there....

realistically i dont snack often because of the above reason, but if I do, ff jello or pudding are good snacks. rice cakes work even though GI wise they are not the best, but still....they are very low cal and 1 cake won't really do all that much.
check out some of the homemade protein bar recipes or some of the low cal-high protein cheesecake one's.

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
Try the unsalted peanuts or cashews. Great healthy snack. BTW, nice read Mab.
These are especially good (in small portions) as the day wears on, as the fats help keep up your test levels.

akp2004

Awards
Protein Pudding

You can make you're own protein pudding using sugar free pudding mix and adding protein powder to the basic recipe. If you're using a protein powder that has thickeners in it, you might add a bit more skim milk to the overall recipe, but otherwise, just follow the box directions, and add enough protein in it, to cover your macronutrient ratios.

It tastes hella good, and it is complete as a snack/small meal.

The chocolate, vanilla, banana and butterscotch flavor all seem to go well with basic vanilla flavor protein powder.

Matt_Stuart

Awards
You can make you're own protein pudding using sugar free pudding mix and adding protein powder to the basic recipe. If you're using a protein powder that has thickeners in it, you might add a bit more skim milk to the overall recipe, but otherwise, just follow the box directions, and add enough protein in it, to cover your macronutrient ratios.

The chocolate, vanilla, banana and butterscotch flavor all seem to go well with basic vanilla flavor protein powder.
Thanks I will have to try that, and also to the above post I try to eat as much as I can 6+ meals a day but its hard when I am always working and dont have everything to be able to carry around and make my food.

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yeah I usually get a handfull of raw almonds, pecans, and walnuts. Seems to help carry me over to the next meal.

DirtyAzn

Awards

I do the same. But I use chocolate pudding and chocolate protein powder. Sometimes I put it in the freezer for a little bit too.

akp2004

Awards
Protein Pudding

Yea - and if you really want to splurge, you can sprinkle some almonds or peanuts etc on top of the protein pudding and just go to town!

Also, dont forget about nonfat coolwhip or some of the skim versions of whipping cream. Great, low cal ways of giving yourself a nice treat and staying on diet. I mean, in reality, an MRP has maltodextrin in it, and I can cut even using those, so adding a shot of whipping cream is not going to kill me.

The only risk is if you are cutting and having a weak moment... It goes something like this:

1) Look into fridge
2) See whipping cream and pudding container
3) Plan to make nice snack.
4) Ditch plan
5) Tilt head back and empty whipping cream can direct into mouth
6) Go into temporary sugar/fat daze
7) Repeat 1-2 more times.

8) Enter guilt and 'holy ****' statements

9)Take double dose sesathin.

10) Let sense of guilt subside by 1/2

Matt_Stuart

Awards