Jasmine Rice and GI v Insulin Index...

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Okay...so I found out that white rice (Indian) is only 3 pts higher in GI that brown rice, and I was stoked! But, then I realized...I like "Jasmine rice". So,I look it up. And, what do i find?!? It has a GI roughly 2x as high as brown rice!!!!!!!

Then, to make matters more confusing, its insulin index is extreeeeemely low. 43 or something like that.

Which number presides?

I'd assume the insulin index...b/c, you're not gonna pack away too many carbs if there is a minimal insulin spike, regardless of the increase in blood glucose....am I right on this?

All input is appreciated :)

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The way that I understand it is that the GI is based on a 50g serving on the food in question. This means that total energy (carb) content is not taken into account - something which will also blood glucose and hence insulin levels.

The insulin index on the other hand is based on a 1000 kJ serving so comparisons between different foods are more 'apples to apples'.

I'd assume the insulin index...b/c, you're not gonna pack away too many carbs if there is a minimal insulin spike, regardless of the increase in blood glucose....am I right on this?
Basically the right answer but the reasoning is a bit off. An elevated insulin level is a response to an elevated blood glucose level. They more or less go hand in hand. The body will adjust insulin output to achieve blood glucose homeostasis regardless of the food consumed. My understanding of the difference of insulin outputs for foods with the same energy portion is that the is that the 'slower' foods give the body more time to use a greater percentage of the energy through non-insulin mediated means (ie. physical work). The more gradual release means the body has to store less if it.

However since you are comparing foods of similar energy densities (ie just rice), I think you could use either index. How does the other rice compare to Jasmine on the insulin index?